LDS Mamas and Papa(s): JANUARY 2008 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 931 Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
No. He actually tried to pass a bill against PBA in Illinois, but it was shot down by Republicans who wanted to ban abortion period, and didn't want to compromise to at least save SOME lives.

DH adds War Barack Obama! lol
OK, sorry to jump back to this but I wanted to just post some articles and things that I've seen in my research. I finally have started my research of each of the candidates. If my first choice doesn't make it through the primaries then I want to know which other candidate I feel would be the best leader for the country. I am actually Republican although I think of myself more as an independent but I would vote Democrat if I feel that he/she would be the best candidate. I gotta admit though I highly doubt that I'd ever vote for Hilary.

So this is what the stance seems to be according to the research I've done. Barack does most definitely support abortion. He believes in the woman's right to choose, that it is not a light choice. However, he did vote down a bill that proposed parental notification of minors who were taken across state lines. The page that I just found a wealth of unbiased information is now offline but here is another page that is helpful. http://www.barackobamawin.com/barack-obama-abortion.htm

I did read that his wife sent out a letter in support of partial-birth abortion for health reasons.
#482 of 931 Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 PM

Seren, you are definitely in my prayers. I hope your sister doesn't end up harming your emotional well-being, or your family.

LTB, I've got one more thing for ya. Tomorrow morning I have an interview scheduled with a nurse-practitioner at a nearby family practice. I (kinda, never officially) fired our pediatrician a good 2 years ago, and we've been doctor-less since, and amazingly blessed with good health. But with a new baby coming, and a planned homebirth, it's time to line up a new doctor. Most of the people highly recommended in my area are not accepting new patients at this point in time, so I'm trying my luck at this family practice. Here's where you come in: I'm horribly afraid and feel a lot of anxiety when it comes to interviewing new doctors. Nurse-practitioner will be a new one for me, but it amounts to about the same thing in my brain. I would truly appreciate some prayers that I will be able to remain calm and collected, speak my thoughts clearly, and know the appropriate questions to ask or information to divulge. I can't decide how deep I want to go into the interview process - we don't plan on vaccinating the baby, or anyone else at this point, so on one hand, it would be good to make sure they'll be okay with that. On the other hand, I also don't plan on being in this area long enough for any doctor to start getting really upset about not vaccinating, nor do I plan on going to all of the typically recommended well-checks since we won't be vaccinating, so the other part of me thinks I just shouldn't stress about it or go into it in depth at an interview, and only cross that bridge when I get to it. I hate being indecisive.

At any rate, I'd love to feel good enough about this practice that I can stick with them. They're just a couple blocks away, which would be a huge blessing to me, especially for after-homebirth visits. Plus I'm just sick of worrying about doctors, both not having one, and having to find one. I got one recommendation for the NP's at this practice, and it sounded decent, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A side note/new topic: We had a "Relief, Snack and Chat" enrichment activity tonight, with a sister from the ward doing CPR training. It's been a very long time since I've done any official CPR training. Did you know they now recommend 30 compressions instead of 15?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#483 of 931 Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 PM

so there i was driving down the street to get some gas, NPR on and i hear Romney took Michigan. my reaction? "yay for LTB!" which got me a weird look from my mom.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#484 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
LTB, I've got one more thing for ya
I'm on it!

and no, I didn't know that about CPR training-- eek, I really need ot get up-to-speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
so there i was driving down the street to get some gas, NPR on and i hear Romney took Michigan. my reaction? "yay for LTB!" which got me a weird look from my mom.
Awww, thanks!!! I feel so loved!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#485 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Really??? That's awesome! Is the book cover on the billboard? Because if it is, I'm going to totally tease my nephew for ever about being on a this huge billboard where everyone can see his face! As it is, he's totally embarassed about the YouTube video!
There are images from the cover on the billboard, but I don't remember what they are - I was almost past it by the time I realized it was that book. I'll pay more attention tomorrow when I pass...

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#486 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 AM

Probably my nephew was on it then... he's the cute kid holding the mirror looking thing to ward off the dragon. He's a great kid. I think it was a couple years ago when he did the book cover photo shoot and video for the trailer. He's 13 now and a deacon, and his mom always makes him say hi to all the girls at church functions first thing so that he can get used to talking to girls, so that when he's older he'll be more confident about dating and such. We have a lot of unmarried men in our family so she's being proactive. He's a great kid.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#487 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 AM

So I was listening to the Backstreet Boys' I Want It That Way* today and I was thinking that it should be the theme song for Edward and Bella:

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!

You are my fire, the one desire. - obviously this fits them

Believe me when I say I want it that way. - they don't believe the other could possibly love them at first

But we are two worlds apart . . . - obviously

Ain't nothing but a heartache. - true

Ain't nothing but a mistake. - true

Am I your fire? Your one desire? - they both question each other about this

. . .No matter the distance I want you to know that deep down inside of me You are my fire, the one desire. - even when they were apart they were still each other's true love

*I can explain. I like to listen to Weird Al songs, and sometimes I put the original song in my playlist right next to the parody. I don't know why - just for fun. Typically I wouldn't be listening to the Backstreet Boys or anything that's not country, or classical, or a musical (or Weird Al, hee hee)!
#488 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
So I was listening to the Backstreet Boys' I Want It That Way*

*I can explain. I like to listen to Weird Al songs, and sometimes I put the original song in my playlist right next to the parody. I don't know why - just for fun. Typically I wouldn't be listening to the Backstreet Boys or anything that's not country, or classical, or a musical (or Weird Al, hee hee)!
I'm glad you put up that disclaimer Tho' I have a harder time explaining why the Backstreet Boys' "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" and "Millennium" and N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" are on my iPod :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#489 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I'm glad you put up that disclaimer Tho' I have a harder time explaining why the Backstreet Boys' "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" and "Millennium" and N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" are on my iPod :
i don't know why but that just cracked me up

this isn't coming from someone with Celine Dion next to her Mozart, Marilyn Manson, and Ani DiFranco on her iPod

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#490 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
i don't know why but that just cracked me up

this isn't coming from someone with Celine Dion next to her Mozart, Marilyn Manson, and Ani DiFranco on her iPod
But see ... it is coming from someone who has BBs and N*S sharing space on his iPod with Marilyn Manson , all AC/DC's albums , Metallica , Mötley Crüe , Black Sabbath , Guns 'n' Roses , KISS , Megadeth , Ozzy Osbourne , all of Rob Zombie's albums , Twisted Sister and
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Yanni
:

#491 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:08 AM

phew! i thought you were going to say Kenny G or Micheal Bolton

Bonnie Tyler, Berlin, or Dido anyone?

NCD~ if you haven't read Marilyn Manson's biography it's very interesting.

#492 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
phew! i thought you were going to say Kenny G or Micheal Bolton
Kenny G : and I do have one Michael Bolton song: the one he did for the Disney version of Hercules "Go the Distance." (I also have the Spanish ("No Importa la Distancia") and Portuguese ("Já Não Há Distância") versions of the same song both sung by Ricky Martin.

Quote:
NCD~ if you haven't read Marilyn Manson's biography it's very interesting.
I haven't ... though I have heard the rumor (completely false) that he is a lapsed/jack/failed/what-have-you Mormon. But, I cannot stress that enough - it's just a rumor!

#493 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM

Ok, I have a kinda tmi-ish question. It's about sex, so if you don't want to read it, stop here.

One of my pregnancy symptoms is that i want to have sex all the time. Dh usually enjoys that, but he's been really tired lately. I totally get that, btdt, but at the same time it's hard. It's like he NEVER wants to have sex anymore. I have some friends telling me to just do it myself, but how does that fit into the don't masturbate we've all been taught? Anyone have any suggestions?

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#494 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Interestingly enough, a man is allowed to masturbate for health reasons (there are some conditions that require frequent ejaculation for healing). I've never heard of an exception for a woman, though.

Even though it was allowed, I still wasn't keen on dh doing it, so we found ways to be frequent about it without having the full monty each time. Any chance of that?

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#495 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Nope, which is surprising, because he's usually very generous with that.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#496 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Um...wow. Someone wanna explain this rule to me?

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#497 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM

I am going to the temple this summer (to take out my endowments), and I want to make my own temple dress, but I have a few questions.

Does temple clothing have to be made from any particular fabric (I notice that all the ones online are polyester), or just made to certain modesty specifications?

Does anyone know where to find patterns for temple dresses, or will any modest dress pattern do?

TIA

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#498 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
It's like he NEVER wants to have sex anymore. I have some friends telling me to just do it myself, but how does that fit into the don't masturbate we've all been taught?
It doesn't fit in with it. Don't masturbate, it's a no-no for a Latter-day Saint. Just tough it out if your DH is unavailable. Try to enjoy the feelings that arise automatically-- there's nothing wrong with that if they are just naturally occuring without any action on your part*-- and don't think about looking for more or doing anything about it. Just enjoy them for what they're worth in the moment and distract yourself if you have to.

However, you could try looking into why your sweetie isn't in the mood. What if you offered to give him a massage first, and then offered to do most of the work, IYKWIM. Is he getting enough sleep, enough protein in his diet, etc. Also, are you coming on "too strong"; maybe that's kind of a turn-off to him. I know some people are like that. If DH was coming on strong to me all the time I would probably want some space too. Of course, remember to be romantic.

Also, I know you just cleaned your house in a big way, so that might make a difference. A clean house might make him feel more romantic. I know it has that affect on me.

Well, HTH.

*ETA-- as long as you're not having innnapropriate fantasies or anything like that. I just realized that could be interpreted differently than I meant it to be.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#499 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
how does that fit into the don't masturbate we've all been taught? Anyone have any suggestions?
Basically, it doesn't fit. You just suffer for a while and then get over it and forget about it. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's really the answer.

I wish this forum was totally private with only a few women reading it, but I'll share my personal experience anyway

I have always had a higher drive than dh. So for our entire marriage, I haven't had sex as often as I would like, ever. (Although I acknowledge that as a fickle human, if I was getting it frequently, I would probably complain that it was too much ) During this entire last pregnancy, dh was gone. I got pregnant in November. He was a long-haul truck driver until the following March. He would be gone two weeks and then home two days. During that time we averaged once every two weeks (obviously ). Then he moved to Houston and was gone for five months. So during that time we averaged once every five months I just dealt with it. I finally figured out that I needed to stop thinking about it, at all. Prior to that, I would sometimes fantasize about dh, and imagine and plan what we would do when we were back together, but it was not helping in any way. I finally just quit thinking about it, and that helped quite a bit.

There are all the standard recommendations to do in place of thinking about it (same stuff you would tell an unmarried single person) - read scriptures, sing hymns, get a hobby, exercise,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Um...wow. Someone wanna explain this rule to me?
It's part of the law of chastity - you are only to have sexual relations with your legal husband or wife. When the missionaries brought up the law of chastity in their lessons how exactly did they explain it? I'm not asking to be snarky or rude, I'm just curious because I'm not sure of what they are supposed to teach or what specific missionaries teach. I've heard this criticism of our church - that the missionaries don't teach the members the doctrine sufficiently before baptism, but I thought it was another Mormon Myth.
#500 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Try to enjoy the feelings that arise automatically-- there's nothing wrong with that if they are just naturally occuring without any action on your part-- and don't think about looking for more or doing anything about it. Just enjoy them for what they're worth in the moment and distract yourself if you have to.
For me, this didn't help at all. It just made things worse. I couldn't allow myself to dwell on or enjoy anything, or it would just make the desire stronger. And since I knew there was no possibility of fulfilling it any time soon, that was the wrong road to go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
However, you could try looking into why your sweetie isn't in the mood.
: I completely agree. If you can get him to talk and open up about his reasons, that would be great. Most people have needs that aren't being met by their spouse - it's just human nature for us to not be perfect But you could read "The Five Love Languages" or "His Needs, Her Needs" to remind yourself about what your dh's needs are and how you might help fulfill them. I'm not saying that you should be the only one to do any work in the relationship and that you dh gets off scott-free. Ideally you would read the books together and both try to improve. But assuming you're wanting to stay in the marriage, there's no reason to refuse to take the first step just because he isn't doing it. I hope it gets better
#501 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:36 PM

can we move on to something else?

This isn't why I come to the LDS Mummas thread.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#502 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I am going to the temple this summer (to take out my endowments), and I want to make my own temple dress, but I have a few questions.

Does temple clothing have to be made from any particular fabric (I notice that all the ones online are polyester), or just made to certain modesty specifications?

Does anyone know where to find patterns for temple dresses, or will any modest dress pattern do?

TIA
i'm not too sure. is there someone in your ward or stake you could ask? i know that we have a seamstress (or 2) in our ward that has made temple dresses. i just wouldn't trust myself to make one the first time. i'd buy one and then after feeling more comfortable with the temple and the wear i'd dive into making my own. it's just that there are so many regulations, ykwim? but if you really want to i'd approach someone who has made their own.

#503 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
When the missionaries brought up the law of chastity in their lessons how exactly did they explain it? I'm not asking to be snarky or rude, I'm just curious because I'm not sure of what they are supposed to teach or what specific missionaries teach. I've heard this criticism of our church - that the missionaries don't teach the members the doctrine sufficiently before baptism, but I thought it was another Mormon Myth.
My dh had been coming to church with me every week for a year before he started seeing the missionaries. And they didn't really do the discussions. They came over plenty, though. They said just about every time they were over, "well, you've been going to church for a year so you know all this stuff already" They never taught the joseph smith story, the plan of salvation, NOTHING. They gave him short (2-5 verses) reading assignments.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#504 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:

the discussion going on is a valid one and inline of what this thread is for- for members to be supportive through the church and our doctrine. if you don't feel comfortable don't read it- and i'm not saying this to be mean or anything. there have been times i would just rather not participate in a discussion so i don't.

#505 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:

TIA
They're usually made of polyester to b easy-care, no-iron. you can use any pure white fabric. Make sure it's not see-through, too.

Quote:

There's nothing wrong about discussing sex in a respectful way. I think it was very courageous of Seren to post her question and not in any way innapropriate. She has no reason to feel embarrassed, nor do those who answered her. If this isn't something you want read about, Kathirynne, then just skim over it and skip those parts.

#506 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that if anyone knows about dress-making guidelines they'll answer. I don't know, so I don't have any help for you.

But my vote is no, why would we move on? This is a very relevant topic for LDS women in marriage relationships. I realize that we do have single mamas, such as yourself, but that should mean it's even more relevant to you and that you should be able to help more than the mamas with free access to sexual intimacy.

As long as we stay within the guidelines of the MDC user agreement, I don't see anything wrong with it at all. We've had several conversations about intimacy and intimate relationships before. This IS why I come to the LDS Mamas & Papas thread - I have no one else to talk about these things with

This is your third post on this thread (I mean our on-going threads), at least in the past year. So I don't understand exactly what you mean about this not being why you come here.
#507 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
My dh had been coming to church with me every week for a year before he started seeing the missionaries. And they didn't really do the discussions. They came over plenty, though. They said just about every time they were over, "well, you've been going to church for a year so you know all this stuff already" They never taught the joseph smith story, the plan of salvation, NOTHING. They gave him short (2-5 verses) reading assignments.
my DH learned the bulk of what he knows of the church and our doctrine on his own. i have a big problem with what the missionaries aren't teaching new and prospective members. new members often come into the church and feel lied to or betrayed because they had no idea about this or that. DH being a Ward Missionary and a convert we cringe every time we hear the "wait, you do what?!" about something that should have been discussed weeks or even months prior. the requirements for baptism are too low, IMO. if we educated and immunized our new members- and even our children!- we wouldn't have so many inactives and members falling away, IMO.

#508 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:

TIA
Any modest pattern will work. That's what I did. And any fabric will work. Most people use polyester simply because it is cheap and doesn't wrinkle in your temple bag. I want a new temple dress, although I think that is a little vain. Mine is quite pretty. I just don't have good pockets--which are essential! And I don't like the polyester so much. I'm thinking a crinkly cotton would be nice.
MIL said that when they went to the DC temple when they were on vacation there, they saw a woman with a white sari. She had used a white, modest blouse instead of the traditional choli. Apparently it was just the most stunning and gorgeous temple dress MIL had ever seen. I wish I could have seen it.
#509 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
That's fantastic (sarcasm). How do they think that someone is adequately prepared for baptism based on that? Life long members in our ward are encouraged to attend the Gospel Doctrine Sunday School class for their own enrichment and edification - not just so they can fill up the class. My mom, who has been in Stake YW callings, goes to hers. It is taught by their former stake president.
#510 of 931 Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
It's part of the law of chastity - you are only to have sexual relations with your legal husband or wife. When the missionaries brought up the law of chastity in their lessons how exactly did they explain it? I'm not asking to be snarky or rude, I'm just curious because I'm not sure of what they are supposed to teach or what specific missionaries teach. I've heard this criticism of our church - that the missionaries don't teach the members the doctrine sufficiently before baptism, but I thought it was another Mormon Myth.
I guess I can see how thater e can be implied, but no, it was never directly mentioned. I believe the Lord gave my body to myself and my husband, and if neither of us have an issue, I don't feel that it is going outside of my marriage at all. The thought of myself never even crossed my mind.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page