LDS Mamas and Papa(s): JANUARY 2008 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh Bronwyn!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I don't think anyone was saying that because the husband was a non-member he was ruining the Spirit in the home. At least that's not how I took it. But I have lived in a house with people who smoked, yelled, were negative all the time, and I was surrounded by junk food, and it was really hard (for me) to maintain a positive Spirit in the home. In fact, I couldn't do it, all I could do was do what Alisa mentioned, try to maintain a "bubble of peace" around myself and my poor baby son.

I am so grateful to be out of that situation now. It has made a huge difference in our lives for us to have our own house.

I think Seeing stars' odds are better though, than mine were.
Sorry if that's not what was meant about the conversation. I tend to be a little sensitive on that issue. People at church often talk "down" to me about how hard it must be to be married to a non-member and how they hope one day he'll "come around". I get really tired of hearing my husband talked about like he's less than the wonderful, virtuous, moral person that he is. I've even had well-meaning people say things like that when we've gone to their house for dinner - right in front of him! Bless his heart, he's so gracious and just shrugs it off, although afterwards he tells me how awkward they always make him feel and it makes him not want to come with me. He comes to show his support of me and is constantly bashed in the process.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#63 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks Maggie.
I guess I should put a little bit of an intro out there. to all the new people. Nice to have new "faces" on the thread.

I'm Bronwyn, DH is Kurt. DS is Dorian, and he is 3.5 as of today. DD is Faith and is 22 months. I'm expecting sometime in July and planning our first homebirth. I play the piano in Primary and lead the music in Sacrament Meeting. Kurt is the ward clerk.

I'm usually a bit calmer in my posts. But some things really to set me off. Ridiculous travel experiences are among them.
#64 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Sorry if that's not what was meant about the conversation. I tend to be a little sensitive on that issue. People at church often talk "down" to me about how hard it must be to be married to a non-member and how they hope one day he'll "come around". I get really tired of hearing my husband talked about like he's less than the wonderful, virtuous, moral person that he is. I've even had well-meaning people say things like that when we've gone to their house for dinner - right in front of him! Bless his heart, he's so gracious and just shrugs it off, although afterwards he tells me how awkward they always make him feel and it makes him not want to come with me. He comes to show his support of me and is constantly bashed in the process.

i think a lot of your hurt and frustration with the members of your ward and here is that you're not understanding their meaning in offering support because your DH is a non member. you seem to be thinking they are implying he isn't a good person but that's not the case. there are blessing that come with both spouses being members of the church the biggest being eternal marriage and a family sealed together for time and all eternity. of course it is nice to have a Priesthood holder readily available in the home but one is a phone call away. however an eternal marriage isn't a phone call away.
your husband is a wonderful virtuous man, there is no doubt in my mind! but we all want to see you sealed to him and your family forever. families are the backbone of the gospel and the centerpiece to the plan of salvation. ordinances for the family are of the utmost importance. does that all make sense?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#65 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Thanks Maggie.
I guess I should put a little bit of an intro out there. to all the new people. Nice to have new "faces" on the thread.

I'm Bronwyn, DH is Kurt. DS is Dorian, and he is 3.5 as of today. DD is Faith and is 22 months. I'm expecting sometime in July and planning our first homebirth. I play the piano in Primary and lead the music in Sacrament Meeting. Kurt is the ward clerk.

I'm usually a bit calmer in my posts. But some things really to set me off. Ridiculous travel experiences are among them.
i just realized Faith and Mable were born around the same time. Mable's b-day is the 20th of Feb. and i was born in July so i think the 17th is the perfect day to birth!

#66 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i just realized Faith and Mable were born around the same time. Mable's b-day is the 20th of Feb. and i was born in July so i think the 17th is the perfect day to birth!
Faith's birthday is the 26th. And I'll see what I can do about the 17th. I'd be 10 days over according to my calculations, but that's possible.
#67 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Tiffani, I know my point wasn't to imply that a person who is not a member is unable to have the spirit in their home. My point was that my husband needs the guidance of the spirit and that we are having a hard time in our home. Satan sees that he is vulnerable and has been working overtime on our family.

KLG- I'm not going to get into things too much, but things range from semi-good to horrendous. DH's patriarchal blessing warns him that Satan will do everything in his power to see him fall and that is very, very apparent to me. I *know* that my DH has the potential to be a so great, but I don't think that he will get there without the gospel. I guess my urgency is somewhat selfish. I want things to not only be better for him, but I want them to be better for me and I know that that isn't going to happen for us without the gospel. I just cannot imagine 2,3,5,10,20 years with the struggles that we are facing now.
#68 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
I meant to ask you about this earlier. What will you do when you have a baby? Is there a doctor or midwife in town that will help? Or do you have to fly to Washington several weeks early and wait to have the baby there?
The last baby born in pelican was in 1981, in january, in a snowstorm...they do everything they can to NOT have babies born in Pelican. There is no backup available there, so just in case something went wrong, it would be a really bad place to be!
The standard procedure is for mom to move into Juneau or Sitka around 37 wks, and just stay there until the baby comes... both those places have hospitals, and Juneau has a birth center...probably where I would go.
In my particular case, my choice would vary depending on what time of year I was due. During the school year, DH has to work. From about April-Oct, the plane comes to Pelican 3 times a day, every day, but in the winter it only comes once a day, weather permitting... So a non-winter school-year baby would mean that I could be in Juneau, go into labor, call dh, and he could fly in to be with me for delivery...probably... On the other hand, a mid-winter baby would probably mean that dh would not be able to get out in time, if he could get out at all... I have no deisre to birth without my dh, but if I had a due date that made that an issue, then I would seriously consider just moving down with my folks in WA and planning without him...If he can't be there anyway, I know I would be more comfortable spending those last weeks in my parents home vs in a hotel someplace...
This is why I want to get pg in the next two weeks--and have the baby before winter weather sets in. fat chance of it happening though!

Quote:
One more question for Jenni - in your opinion, is it better living in a rural area or a more populated area (such as Orem)? DH's job is in Orem, but one of our neighbors is developing some land in Genola (south of Utah Lake). I had wondered if we could get a deal on the land - we want to buy a lot and build our own house. But anyway, Genola's quite rural. They don't even have a gas station in town. They're near Payson and Santaquin, but it's about 40 minutes from north Provo/Orem. Maybe it would be ideal, because it's rural, yet less than an hour from "civilization".
Well, it depends on a whole lot of things. We love it in Pelican, but feel like it is a little limiting for our kids in terms of not having a lot of options for friends etc. Also, in Pelican, we are the only church members...not as big an issue with small children, but when they are getting to be teens we want them to have the influance of fellow church members, kwim? So we dont' plan to stay in Pelican forever. We'll probably move into Juneau or one of the bigger cities in this region.
Consider this--are you (and your family) homebodies? Or would you be making that 40 min drive multiple times a week? If you're content to only go into town once a week (or less) I'd say you're a prime candidate for rural living. On the other hand, if your dh will have to commute in daily, and you'll be driving in 2-3+ times a week too, well, I probalby wouldn't move out that far. That ended up being our choice--that's why we bought in Orem. I think there are major advantages to being right on the bus line, with easy access to parks, library, etc. Personally, I really like Orem as a city--far more than Provo. It's a very family friendly area, especially if you don't drive. ROTFLOL!!!
Anyway, yeah, we liked Orem a lot...but in the long run, well, I like rural, but not rural Wasatch front, if that makes sense...everything there is so linear (because of the mts and lakes) that being rural means you are really out there... My parents live in a smallish rural dairy town, but they have decent sized cities within 20-25 min (two of them) and are only an hour from seattle...on the other hand, they can also be in a national park in under an hour. Things are spread out in all directions, not just in a line, so you can be rural without being in the middle of nowhere, does that make sense?

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#69 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Re: pregnancy cravings--I remember one time I just wanted cheap lemonaide. I mean, the junk stuff, like country time. I probalby needed the salt or something, lol! Anyway, it was a sunday evening, so dh wasn't giong to run out and buy it, and we didn't have any in the house. He actually called his brother (who lived near) to ask if they had any, and they didn't. He even asked if they had lemons, thinking he could make some homemade lemonaid--I didn't even WANT homemade lemonaid, but he was trying tob e helpful. so cute.
So yeah, I didn't get that lemonaid.
With my last pgcy, all I wanted was garden fresh tomatoes...and we didnt' have a garden. It was terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
My fisherman pants co-op thread. *sigh* Anyway, if anyone wants to host a fisherman pants co-up, be my guest. I don't want to deal with it anymore.
Fisherman pants? Like the ones the commercial fishermen wear you mean? Like Grundens? I can get them here in AK in any size (including childrens). Not cheap prices, but I can get them! (If you want to see a picture of what I mean, go to brightonkids.blogspot.com and go to one of the early posts that has a title something about 'testing the grundens' )

AND, I'm jenni, living in middle-of-nowhere SE-Alaska islands, 90 miles from anything, accessible only by seaplane and the once-a-month ferry, in a town of under 100 people. I'm married to Dave, who is the secondary teacher (8 students, grades 7-12, all subjects). I have two boys--Will is 7, Sammy is a year old this month (oh my gosh when did he get so old!). I also have a doggie daughter. I sew, blog, cook, blog about cooking, spend too much time on the computer, and am learning to knit. I think that about sums it up!

jenni

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#70 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LTB, I've seen some of the fisherman pants at www.etsy.com, if you're looking for options.

Tiffani, I can understand. I'm the only member in my family -- my dad is an atheist. So often in church I hear people saying things like "I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the gospel." I know what they're trying to say, but it seems to imply that no one can be happy if they're not members. My family is happy. Heavenly Father loves them, too. It also rubs me the wrong way when people say that atheists or anyone who doesn't believe in life after death have no reason or motivation to be good, choose the right, or be happy. I don't understand how people can wonder why atheists want to try to be good. I don't think the discussion here was about non-members pushing the Spirit away, but I have experienced those kinds of misunderstandings of what it is to have non-member family.

Bronwyn -- glad you're home, safe and sound! I dislike travelling at busy times, too. I thought this year would be better, since we've moved close to family. But it's still over an hour to dh's parents. And we seem to choose the days when it snows all day to visit. We haven't ditched the van yet, though. We just take it slow. And are thankful that the previous owners put all season tires on the van.

seren -- All of this Twilight talk makes me want to borrow it from the library again.

Intro -- I'm a convert to the church of just over 10 years, married to my high school sweetheart who introduced me to the gospel. We have 4 kids -- they're in my sig. I'm a sahm; dh works for the CRA (like the IRS, but Canadian) with charities. He's currently on parental leave, though. We're in cold and snowy Ottawa, trying to be crunchy and AP.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#71 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
Tiffani, I can understand. I'm the only member in my family -- my dad is an atheist. So often in church I hear people saying things like "I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the gospel." I know what they're trying to say, but it seems to imply that no one can be happy if they're not members. My family is happy. Heavenly Father loves them, too. It also rubs me the wrong way when people say that atheists or anyone who doesn't believe in life after death have no reason or motivation to be good, choose the right, or be happy. I don't understand how people can wonder why atheists want to try to be good. I don't think the discussion here was about non-members pushing the Spirit away, but I have experienced those kinds of misunderstandings of what it is to have non-member family.
Thank you! I'm so glad somebody understands. I mean, yeah. Most of the time it's well-meaning. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, or isn't offensive, or, in my poor husband's case, make someone feel unwelcome. I'm always so afraid that someone is going to say something that pushes him over the edge and he refuses to ever come with me again. Bah.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#72 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I have to say, being married to a pagan, I think it's kind of offensive to blame a husband for the lack of spirit in the home. .
It depends on the family member's action, not religion.
#73 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Bronwyn - sorry bout your trip. I hate flying, but I'm the bridesmaid in a CA wedding in April. Can't wait to fly with a 6 month old!
#74 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Bronwyn - sorry bout your trip. I hate flying, but I'm the bridesmaid in a CA wedding in April. Can't wait to fly with a 6 month old!
Good luck. I think that age is a lot easier than my kids. My babies just nursed the whole time, but toddlers want entertainment. Faith is weaned now that I'm pregnant. I know lots of women nurse through pregnancy, but I really don't think it was a healthy thing for me. As soon as she stopped nursing, I stopped bleeding. I was 8 weeks and had bled nearly that whole time. Not fun.
#75 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
I totally did not believe you guys about how addicting twilight is! Holy cow! I can't put it down. <snip> I think this is going to be one of those series I am so sad when I'm done reading because I want it to go on forever.

I know exactly what you mean. Just finished Book 2 for the 2nd time, and it's everything I can do not to pick up Book 3 right away again...although part of me doesn't want to, because what will I do after a second time of reading all three books? I can't just keep on reading them one after another forever!!

Okay, I was really only going to read Book 1 again, at least for the time being. But yesterday was really weird for me. Had a great day on the 31st, but when I woke up on the 1st, I was just ... totally depressed. For no stinking reason. Even with DH home from work, and the sun shining brilliantly. I finally decided that I just felt like I needed a good cry. All I can think to blame is pregnancy. Why on EARTH would I just feel like crying for no reason? But I didn't really have anything to cry about, or at least provoke crying. So, yup, I ended up starting book 2 again, last night. Definitely got a good cry out of it, and it did make me feel better. And I also wasted my entire day today finishing it. Because I just can't put them down unless I have to! Ugh!! I think I'm going to die before the next book comes out.

Very short intro - I'm Becky, mom to DD (4) and DS (2), and expecting a new boy near the end of March, my first planned homebirth. DD was telling me today that it's too long before the baby will be born. She's very excited to have another baby in the house, I guess! Me, I can stand to wait. Love little babies, but I'm still terribly worried about having 3 and jumping back into the newborn stage!

DH and I have been married almost 8 years now (holy cow, where did the time go?), both life-long members, and were sealed in the Seattle Temple when we were married back in 2000. We met at Ricks College, then lived in Colorado, where his family is from, for 3.5 years while he finished up school. We consider Colorado "home" now, but we moved to MD just before DD was born when DH finally found a job. We're eager to move back, and were going to try job hunting and moving before baby #3 was born, but I think we've basically, without so many words, decided to shelf that until after the baby is born, to avoid complications and stress with our birth plans and providers.

We team-teach the CTR-6 class in our ward, and it's a great calling. I *love* spending all of the church block together! Even if DH is asleep most of sacrament meetings.

I'm a progressing crunchy mom, I guess. I came to MDC to read about circ, then was drawn into cloth diapering, extended bf'ing, and gentle parenting, and am slowly gaining ground in other aspects of natural living. I love the ideas generally presented at MDC and the Mothering magazine (btw, did you read Peggy O'Mara's "Quiet Place" article in the Jan/Feb issue? I loved it!), but I change very very slowly. I'm not very good at change. But you have to start somewhere, right? I'm also been in a spiritual "slump" for some time, so I really enjoy the conversations here related to doctrine and spiritual habits, even if I rarely contribute to them. They generally uplift me and make me eager to learn more. Our family, for a few weeks now, has been been doing a short "spiritual time" as suggested in an earlier thread (I'm so sorry I don't remember who it was, now!), and we read about 5 minutes of the Book of Mormon followed by a church song and prayer. I love that we're getting that steady bit of the gospel in our home now, even if I do generally feel very frustrated with it, because the kids just won't. sit. still!! let alone listen to any of it. I guess that will come in time. But I spend the whole bit of scripture reading "shushing" them and not hearing much of what is being read, since DH usually does the reading. But I'm glad we're at least trying.

Anyway, guess that intro was a bit longer than I meant it to be. Oh well!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#76 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 PM

My SIL just recommended Twilight to me last night too. I'm in the middle of a Grisham and have several other books stacked behind it, so not anytime soon.
Becky, we were sealed in Seattle too (in '96)0125. I promised my grandpa when it was built that I'd get sealed there.

Apparently my math genius DS2 wants to chime in.
#77 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
just won't. sit. still!! let alone listen to any of it. I guess that will come in time.
I've been exploring this topic because I'm the Primary President and I really struggle with the idea that kids "need to be still." I've put a lot of thought and prayer into this, and we have times during our closing exercises we "practice being still." We have timed it with the whole Primary and got up to 37 seconds! I think that's great with 60 kids! I also talk about how the Spirit speaks with a "still small voice" and we want to feel the Spirit when we talk about Jesus. One good way to feel the Spirit is to have our bodies still and not silly, our hands quiet and to ourselves, and our mouths closed. We try to have a spirit and a Spirit of respect for others and give ourselves opportunities to feel the Spirit during Primary. Even the most active children in our Primary have really responded, and while things are still really crazy most of the time, our goal is to be respectful during talks and scriptures, and have activity songs and activities during sharing time, as well as "spiritual" times.

So long story short, you might try, even with very tiny kids, practicing being all the way still. You might read a story or something to help them "feel the Spirit" at the beginning, then practice sitting (in some comfortable way), then read your scriptures. It's kind of like centering. Scripture Yoga?????
#78 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM

the good news is Robbie's check came in.

the bad news is he got laid off.

we really really really need prayers.
we have nothing put away because we could never afford to put anything away.

#79 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
He will be the only Sunbeam.
Wow! Our ward has 10-12 kids of each age!

Quote:
I don't feel my husband takes away from that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
I think this is going to be one of those series I am so sad when I'm done reading because I want it to go on forever.
Yes, it will be that way. Sorry

Quote:
People at church often talk "down" to me about how hard it must be to be married to a non-member and how they hope one day he'll "come around".
I can kind of understand what Maggie said about them wanting an eternal marriage for you, but I imagine this must be very frustrating for you and your husband During our lesson on fellowshipping, a lady commented on this exact thing. Her husband is a Lutheran and has always been one. She says it's very hurtful to get comments like these, because she also feels they imply that her husband is "less".

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I have no deisre to birth without my dh
I totally know what you mean. My dh was being a total idiot this summer, and I still strongly needed him there at my birth. I guess I would have survived without him. . . maybe? I mean, I guess soldiers' wives do it all the time, and they get through it. (There's a soldier-dying song on the radio right now - the line that says "If you're reading this, half way around the world, I won't be there to see the birth of our little girl. . ." That gets me every time).

Quote:
Consider this--are you (and your family) homebodies? Or would you be making that 40 min drive multiple times a week? If you're content to only go into town once a week (or less) I'd say you're a prime candidate for rural living.
We are definitely homebodies. However, that is all the more reason for us NOT to be rural. If we were rural homeschoolers, we might never leave the house, and my kids might end up like the guy in that movie where he lives in a nuclear bomb bunker underground for 30 years Also, dh would be commuting to work 5-6 days per week. So that would use up a lot of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
Ugh!! I think I'm going to die before the next book comes out.
I totally agree. I did what I could to get my hands on the Harry Potter books quickly (put my name on the library waiting list 6 months in advance, ordered Book #7 from Amazon and then went and bought it Saturday night when it didn't come in the mail, etc.), but I didn't ever camp out for them or anything. I am seriously going to consider camping out for the next Twilight book, if it comes to that. Since I'm in Provo, there's a big chance that people might actually do it. Nearly everyone I've talked to in my ward (including 50-60 year old ladies) has read it!
#80 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Maggie,

:

:

:

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#81 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
So long story short, you might try, even with very tiny kids, practicing being all the way still. You might read a story or something to help them "feel the Spirit" at the beginning, then practice sitting (in some comfortable way), then read your scriptures. It's kind of like centering. Scripture Yoga?????
Thanks for the idea. It's definitely something I'll try to think about. I think what gets me most frustrated is that they'll be perfectly fine, playing quietly, yadda yadda, until we sit down to do "spiritual time" ... and THEN they decide it's the ideal time to run around like crazed beings on a mission to be disruptive! But maybe you're right, maybe I can convey the idea that scripture/prayer/etc. time is especially important for being "still".

Quote:

I'm so so so so so sorry. You will most certainly be in my prayers, and my thoughts. We would be in a world of hurt, ourselves, in your situation. I hope your family will be blessed immensely with the things that you need most.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#82 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 PM

So sorry Maggie. I'm praying there is a great blessing in store for you to come out of all this.
#83 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 PM

I'm sorry Maggie. I'll be praying for your family
#84 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 PM

Oh Maggie! I'm so sorry. Lots of prayers coming your way

#85 of 931 Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Fisherman pants? Like the ones the commercial fishermen wear you mean? Like Grundens?
I meant Thai fisherman pants. Like this. Thanks, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
LTB, I've seen some of the fisherman pants at www.etsy.com, if you're looking for options.
Oooh, didn't find any fisherman pants that were quite right, but I DID find some other cool stuff . . . gosh darn it! Thanks for the link!

Quote:

Oh no! I will KEEP praying for you. My husband will pray for you guys, too. I wish there was more we could do.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#86 of 931 Old 01-03-2008, 12:04 AM

I thought I would share what I am posting on my wall, in honor of the new year.

It started out being based on Abby's New Year's resolution column, which in turn was based on the AA teachings, but I kind of ran with it. I added in stuff that is tailored specifically to me, so I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I just thought I'd share in case anyone else likes the idea.

I am taping it right next to my computer monitor, where I am sure to see it ALL THE TIME. :

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy.
I will not dwell on things that depress me.
I will think about things that inspire hope and joy.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be accepting and flexible.
I will create my future by making good choices now.
I will correct those things I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make an effort to improve myself.
I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.
I will do something positive to improve my health.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.
I will be kind to those who cross my path, and I won’t speak ill of others.
I will improve my appearance, speak gently, and not interrupt.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will remember to pray.
I will say a blessing for my food before I eat.
I will kneel and ask Heavenly Father to forgive me and help me.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will remember to be thankful.
I will remember to trust in God’s goodness.
I will remember that I am not alone, and that I am always loved.

JUST FOR TODAY.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#87 of 931 Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 AM

Wow, I got behind quickly. For some reason whenever I post, my subscriptions stop. Annoying.

I'm Nemmer, mama to two boys 5 years and 8 months, both through adoption. DH and I have been married 14 years this month and live in Utah. I'm mostly a SAHM, but have done some work at home off and on. Right now it's in the "off" mode, since I process mortgage loans and my boss's business has all but died. But that's okay by me for now, because we just started homeschooling. Between that and the baby, I'm finding myself easily overstressed.

So, to catch up on my responses from the last thread (where I had asked about references AGAINST baby helmets)...

Quote:
If you get the One Step Ahead catalog, make sure your dh doesn't see it! It has a baby helmet right in the front!
Oh great! I think that does come to our house... usually we get a good laugh at some of the stuff and then recycle it. I'll look for it, though. Last thing he needs is more fuel for the fixation.

I did sort of generally try to explain that if the baby never learns that bonking his head hurts it'll take him longer to figure it out and he'll end up getting more hurt in the long run. But DH doesn't buy it. Which is particularly irritating because he defers to my parenting knowledge most of the time. But he's becoming increasingly OCD and overprotective and it's becoming more and more difficult to battle it. But I do like the idea of showing him quotes from recommendations against the idea. Or I could always hand him a stack of books and challenge him to point out where it is recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil
are helmets for babies a normal thing? i had never heard of them until now...
Me either! I've been focusing so far on the fact that they just are NOT normal! They are only used on babies that have that flat-head problem that I can never remember the name of, as far as I know. I'm a bit surprised there is one being sold to the general public... although not really. Surely some OCD person like my hubby has decided that's a great idea to market to parents.

Maggie, I'm so sorry about your DH getting laid off. Sending prayers your way.

Still catching up, but welcome to all the new posters!
#88 of 931 Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
Becky, we were sealed in Seattle too (in '96)0125. I promised my grandpa when it was built that I'd get sealed there.

Apparently my math genius DS2 wants to chime in.
Oh ... I read it as being sealed Jan 25 1996.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
Maggie,

:

:

:
Ditto to all that, Mags, you're in our prayers!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#89 of 931 Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
They are only used on babies that have that flat-head problem that I can never remember the name of
Positional plagiocephaly
#90 of 931 Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 AM

I feel bad sharing a blessing when people (Mags ) are struggling, but I want to be positive

My dh's company gave out digital picture frames for Christmas. I thought it was an awesome idea, but that we didn't really need it. So I decided to give it to my dad for Christmas. I asked my mom to secretly get some pictures ready for the frame, and she was really disappointed she wasn't getting one too. Dh's mom sent money for Christmas, so I used the money to buy my mom a digital frame too. Once I saw one of the frames in action, I regretted giving ours away. I mentioned this to my VT partner when I saw hers, and today SHE BOUGHT ME ONE!!! I loaned her some books on sugar addiction, and she brought the books back, along with another book on healing depression and the frame! What can I say - she is just fabulous!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page