LDS Mamas and Papa(s): JANUARY 2008 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
re: birth- i had such an awful experience last time that IF (i do want more but am sooo scared because of this last birth) we have more i want to be COMPLETELY alone. no, not even DH. it's the only way i can imagine birthing without feeling like i am going to vomit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post
oh wow, i am (relatively) new to MDC and i am glad i found this thread!

*waves* hi guys, i'm amanda!
Hi Amanda!!!

So . . . .

You Obama supporters must be PLEASED. I am happy for you. I was very excited that Hillary didn't wim Iowa, I was rooting for either Obama or Edwards on that side of the race. Whew.

As far as the Huckabee-win, Romn-a-bust, though . . . . ugh . . . I think I almost threw up a little . . . sure did shed a couple tears . . . :

We are going to work HARD for Romney over the next couple of days here until the primary and then, if Romney doesn't do well (but I predict he will get either a first or close second here, but if he doesn't) than I am jumping on another horse. Probably a horse named Ron Paul or something crazy like that.

I absolutely refuse to vote for McCain (McBush?) or Huckabee (HuckaBush ). Or Hillary (Billary : Okay I'm done ). Pretty much anyone else is better than those three. (Nothing against them personally, of course . . . )

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Amanda?! Is that you?!

If so, I've only been suggesting you get on this thread for oh, EVER. *giggles*

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#123 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Ugh, DH is not working for an entire week. He starts back a week from Monday. It is not paid time off. But he's going to be doing something on the side that hopefully will end up making us a lot of money in the long run. We'll see, I guess. I'm just really nervous right now that we may have to put a bunch of our bills on credit. I'm praying for a big tax return so we can get ahead for once!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#124 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM

LTB~ i thought of you when i saw that Huckabee (:Puke) took Iowa.

i'm an Edwards gal but Obama is just great, IMO! so glad to see that it wasn't Hilary.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#125 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Hi everyone.

Dh and I live in Utah Valley and we have 4 great children ages 10yrs -18 months. We homeschool and right now we have callings in the library. I had been in Primary for the last 10 years so this is a different change for me.

Regarding birthing: my first two children were born by c-section and and there were far too many people around! My last two were UC's and I loved it! Dh swept and mopped the floor and did dishes and made me tea and checked on the sleeping little ones(I labor and birth at night). I was pretty much alone until right at the end when I went to birth the babies near him.

I post sporadically to these threads but I wanted to pop in.

Maggie- You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#126 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Aurora~ thank you!
how does one go about preparing for a UC? i mean the logistics of it.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#127 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 PM

DS was a planned UC that ended up a hospital induction for pre-eclampsia. (Totally my own fault, I take all the responsibility). Despite telling the nurses that my mother was not to be let in under any condition, she ended up in there anyway. Her first words to me (I was sitting on the birth ball with DH pushing on my lower back - back labor! UGH!) were "So, I see you still think you're going to go natural", complete with the eye roll and everything. Yeah. So my mom and DH were there, plus the OB, and I think 2 nurses. I don't remember. It was WAY too much and very hard to deal with when I'd been planning for 9 months for it to just be DH and I. I can't wait for my next baby and my healing UC.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#128 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Ugh, DH is not working for an entire week. He starts back a week from Monday. It is not paid time off.
:

Quote:
LTB~ i thought of you when i saw that Huckabee (:Puke) took Iowa.
Thanks! I'm such a political junkie!

I'm still praying for you guys, too.

Quote:
Aurora~ thank you!
how does one go about preparing for a UC? i mean the logistics of it.
You can learn a lot hanging out on the UC forum.

My first labor I tried for a UC but wound up transferring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
DS was a planned UC that ended up a hospital induction . . . . <snip> I can't wait for my next baby and my healing UC.
I'm so sorry your last birth experience was so hard.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#129 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Thanks! I'm such a political junkie!
we totally are, too! i didn't get to share Dh and i's meeting story but basically we got together because we both love love love politics and agreed where no one else would with us. we were introduced on this basis. :
last night we cuddled up in our PJs and watched the coverage. it's our football, i guess.

i have gone to the UC board but only really in passing. i need to sit and do some hardcore searching. i am more interested in the "how to" rather than the spiritual emotional part. that does matter, yes, but i am always looking to be educated on the logistics of things. i have a few years (we want to wait 4 or 5 IF we decide to have more which our third party has already said yes too ) but i like to be prepared in advance. what i need is a UC mentor.

#130 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM

The UC yahoo group is great and has lots of info in the files section:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/c-birth/

The UC forum here has good stickies with resources listed too.

:::
#131 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
i have gone to the UC board but only really in passing. i need to sit and do some hardcore searching. i am more interested in the "how to" rather than the spiritual emotional part. that does matter, yes, but i am always looking to be educated on the logistics of things. i have a few years (we want to wait 4 or 5 IF we decide to have more which our third party has already said yes too ) but i like to be prepared in advance. what i need is a UC mentor.
For me the very most important thing to prepare was to learn to trust my instincts and recognize the promptings of the Spirit and then have the faith to follow.

As far as the logistics- I read tons of UC birth stories. I learned how to handle variations in labor. I read up on breech presentation, posterior baby, cord around the neck, retained placenta, excessive bleeding, slow to breathe baby, delayed cord cutting........

I would be happy to talk more.

Here is a link to my first UC birth story. My little guy is 4 now. I haven't written up my second UC birth story yet and my baby is 18 months old.

My UC's were incredibly healing for me, both emotionally and spiritually.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#132 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM

On politics: I have to say Edwards scares the daylights out of me. That health plan of his... I seriously wouldn't know who to worry about more, him or Hillary. So I'm glad Obama won. But Huckabee... well, LTB, get New Hampshire in gear is all I can say!

Maggie, there is also an LDS UC yahoo group. It's pretty much dead anymore, with little to no discussion, but the archives are great. They discussed the practical aspects, like supplies, prenatal care, and what not, as well as spiritual preparation that I found invaluable. I also second the c-birth recommendation. I'm on that list (along with 1000 other people) and have learned a ton from it. This is just my bias, but I think UC is something everyone should be prepared for, not that everyone should do it on purpose, but it just seems like good emergency preparedness to me. It is nice to be prepared for the unexpected.
#133 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM

that sounds like what i'm looking for! off to do a search.

#134 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
The UC yahoo group is great and has lots of info in the files section:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/c-birth/

The UC forum here has good stickies with resources listed too.
i joined! thanks much

#135 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
This is just my bias, but I think UC is something everyone should be prepared for, not that everyone should do it on purpose, but it just seems like good emergency preparedness to me. It is nice to be prepared for the unexpected.
After having an unitentional UC, I completely agree. I had no predictive factors for a quick birth-my first birth was 12 hours long, and I had no prodomal labor, or even braxton hicks contractions. But my labor ended up being 45 minutes long. I never considered the possibility of not getting to the hospital in time, and never considered that my dh should be familiar with the essentials of catching a baby. I shoud have told him that he didn't need to tie off her umbilical cord with a shoelace, and that just because she didnt' cry right away, it didn't mean that she wasn't breathing!

I also thought I would be a lot more concious, level headed and rational during labor. When someone came over to watch my dd so we could go the hospital, she told me that she thought I was in transistion. I remember yelling at her that there was no way I could be in transistion because I had only been contracting for a half hour, but I just didn't think I could do it anymore.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#136 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Wow, Stacymom, I'd love to read your birth story! My friend had an unintentional UC with her 3rd, a 45 minute labor as well. But she was already planning a homebirth anyway. Just with midwives! Her fourth labor was much longer than her "quickie."

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#137 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 PM

I doubt I'll ever have an intentional UC, but I did just meet with a midwife today to discuss my home waterbirth. I'm pretty excited.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#138 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 PM

I just yesterday posted the nest study topic to our LDS natural parenting scripture study blog, and today I was reading over some of the older posts . . . they are so inspirational! You guys are great. Just wanted to say that.

#139 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
McCain (McBush?) or Huckabee (HuckaBush ).
You seem to imply that McCain and Huckabee are too similar to Bush. Is Romney any different? To me, he seems to be a cross between Bush and Kerry. He has the polished look and flip-flopping of Kerry combined with the policies and philosophies of Bush.
#140 of 931 Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 PM

I really HATE being alone, so I've loved having people at my births. My mom missed my 1st and 3rd, but 3rd worked out being just exactly what it needed to be: DH and ME and Midwife (birth center). 4th was at home and I had Dh, midwife, 2 student midwives, my mom and my MIL walked in just as dd was crowning. I remember at one point during labor opening my eyes and my bed was surrounded by smiling women that I knew were there to support me. Nobody ever spoke or offered suggestions even, but I felt like one word from me sent everyone into action. It was perfect!
During my 5th pregnancy, I was feeling more like I wanted it to just be me and DH and maybe the midwives ( I hired 2 because I they are such a great team), but I had told a friend a couple of years ago that she could come to my next homebirth and she remembered, and she was SO excited. I also have a very calm spirited friend that I actually wanted to be there (she was actually at my previous birth, but downstairs watching kids). This birth was so much more difficult and traumatic for me, but I was still glad for the support. When it came down to calling them in the middle of the night, I actually wanted them there. Once the baby came they were priceless for taking pictures and tending the kids.
I've really been wondering lately if I'll ever do that again. Am I done? What a difficult thing. I know the possibility of me getting pregnant in the next year is very slim. (We haven't even had relations since the baby was born, how sad is that? We're both just to dang tired every night.) So I wish I could just put the whole question on hold, but it is constantly popping up.
#141 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
You seem to imply that McCain and Huckabee are too similar to Bush. Is Romney any different? To me, he seems to be a cross between Bush and Kerry. He has the polished look and flip-flopping of Kerry combined with the policies and philosophies of Bush.
i know you're not addressing me but i really think Huckabee is worse than Bush *shudders* McCain i can actually stomach. Romney? i'm not even sure what his stance on anything is. he seems ready to say or do anything to win. i didn't get that from Kerry at all. i think Romney is what everyone was trying to paint Kerry as.

#142 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 AM

I sometimes wonder if the Dems aren't crossing their fingers that Romney DOES get the nomination, because he reminds me of Kerry too, in one key way: un-electability. Kerry was just too...bland to win.

I don't have an issue with McCain, but I've not read up on him lately. I wanted him to win the nomination in 2000.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#143 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
he seems ready to say or do anything to win.
That is the impression I get too. And honestly, I didn't really pay attention to Kerry, so I don't know what he was really like
#144 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
McCain is a RINO-- Republican in Name Only. There is what he says he believes in-- and then what he actually DOES. The Democrats actually extended him a warm invitation to join their party in 2002.

Now, I have nothing against Democrats in general, but be honest. McCain is not honest in the slightest. Everytime he sasy "straight talk" I laugh.

http://www.politicstv.com/blog/?p=1503 McCain is a REAL flip-flopper.

McCain is similar to Bush, to me, in that he represents old-school insider politics in the worst form.

Quote:
i know you're not addressing me but i really think Huckabee is worse than Bush *shudders* McCain i can actually stomach. Romney? i'm not even sure what his stance on anything is. he seems ready to say or do anything to win. i didn't get that from Kerry at all. i think Romney is what everyone was trying to paint Kerry as.
Romney is not ready to "do or say anything to win". The whole "flip-flop" label was given him by the media because by and large, they can't stand him. This is because he is not a political insider. The courted him for several months, and he was not willign either to "join" them, or to burn any bridges either, but now they have decided to wage a full-scale media war against him. It is incredible how strong he has stood in spite of all of the lies. McCain, of course, being a long-time insider, is the media darling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
I sometimes wonder if the Dems aren't crossing their fingers that Romney DOES get the nomination, because he reminds me of Kerry too, in one key way: un-electability. Kerry was just too...bland to win.
Why do you think that the media attacks Romney so much? He would be one of the toughest ones to beat. I believe he could easily win against Hillary or Edwards, and stands a good chance against Obama.

Huckabee and McCain would be EASY to beat-- Huckabee because he has so many horrible skeletons in his closet, and McCain because he is old and stodgy and lacks any kind of charisma whatsoever. That's why the media wants McCain or Huckabee to win right now.

Rudy is going largely unnoticed at the moment, which is due to his own lack of campaining.

Quote:
That is the impression I get too.
Kerry was called a flip-flopper because he would say one thing about an issue/topic, then flip to another opinion on the topic and then flip back. This is a flip-flop. Just changing your opinion on somethign is not a flip-flop.

Romney was first called a flip-flopper because of his change of opinion regarding abortion. His personal views never changed, but his political views changed. He was first pro-life because he had a cousin die from a botched illegal abortion. So he supported abortion at that point only because he wanted to see it be safe. But he says that the first time a pro-choice pieve of legislation crossed his desk, he was just not able to sign it, it just felt wrong to him and he knew he would be doing the wrong thing to sign it. And so from that point on he always voted/acted pro-life. His record supports this. This is not a flip-flop, it is a change of heart, and he has not had many of these.

He is said to have flip-flopped on other issues, like gay rights. He has never chnaged his stance on gay rights though-- he believes it is a state-level issue, that's the difference. so as governor, he vowed to uphold the gay-friendly rights of Mass., because he believes in supporting the laws of each state even if he doesn't personally agree with them. Not a flip-flop. He is said to have flip-flopped on whether he supported the Bush tax cuts or not, because he said something critical of them way back then, and now he supports them-- but that's not fair because it was an off-hand remark he made without having studied the issue. He now says that if he had studied the actual legislature he would have agreed with it. These stupid little fabricated "flip-flops" are all the label is built on.

He gets lambasted because he tried to paint himself as a hunter, when he's only a "varmint hunter". Well, he IS a hunter, and of course he tried to use that to his benefit. You try to identify with the people you are talking to. That's normal, that's campaining.

But Romney's number one strong point is his turn-around ability. As a venture capitilist, he would take dying businesses and turn them into huge successes. Staples was one of his projects-- he took it from one struggling store to a successful chain. Of course he turned around the Olympics, too. The SLC Olympics were an embarrassment and a mess and running in the red until he stepped in and organized it better and made it turn a profit.

He was then elected in MA because there government was hopelessly in debt. I mean, it was a mess. This is probably the only reason this very democratic-heavy state elected a Republican. Governor Romney got rid of MA's debt without raising any taxes, AND he instituted the statewide healthcare plan which the people there wanted. Now, people also attack him for his healthcare plan, but for somehtign which was a compromise on both sides (between him and his 85% democratic congress) I think they did a prett ygood job. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Romney is also lambasted because of the free formula samples in MA hospitals- thing. Some hospital workers had gotten together and developed legislation to make it illegal for the formula companies to give out free samples in hospitals. Romney stopped this legislation, I don't really fault him there, if one isn't extremely educated on the issues of breastfeeding vs. formula (and most people are not) then it does sound particularly un-American to deny a company the right to hand out free samples of somehting-- to deny a woman the right to accept those samples if she chooses to, or not.

So, that's about eveything I can think of that Romney is attacked on. He is NOT a political insider. His father, Marion Romney, actually wrote at least one of the books on government conspiracies/protecting the constitution that laid the foundation for movements like the John Birch Society, Free Republic, and others which now mostly support Ron Paul. The difference with Miott Romney is that he is smart enough to see that if he alienates himself from moderates completely he will lose. He also doesn't believe in the hardline separitism that Ron Paul espouses. But as a previous Ron Paul supporter (and Ron Paul is still my second choice,) I say take a closer look at Romney.

And, Romney is very successful and well-organized with a lot of real leadership experience and a lot of people skills. It's one thing to say you're going to do something. It's another thing entirely to be able to do it.

Okay, THAT was long, but hey-- you asked!

#145 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
This is just my bias, but I think UC is something everyone should be prepared for, not that everyone should do it on purpose, but it just seems like good emergency preparedness to me. It is nice to be prepared for the unexpected.
:

After having an unplanned UC, it was interesting to see people's reactions. People asked me how I handled it. People who have had 3-4 kids, and who knew that this was my fourth baby, asked me how I knew what to do. The term "miracle baby" was even used. Huh? Now, I had three uneventful births prior to this one, and it went smoothly as well. So there wasn't much that we had to deal with. But people act surprised that it went smoothly, like we were so lucky.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#146 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
:

After having an unplanned UC, it was interesting to see people's reactions. People asked me how I handled it. People who have had 3-4 kids, and who knew that this was my fourth baby, asked me how I knew what to do. The term "miracle baby" was even used. Huh? Now, I had three uneventful births prior to this one, and it went smoothly as well. So there wasn't much that we had to deal with. But people act surprised that it went smoothly, like we were so lucky.
I get similar, not quite as dramatic, reactions around here because I (gasp) went without pain meds - on purpose. :
#147 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 01:24 PM

LTB~ i watch conferences with the candidates and the debates (yes, even the Rep side) for my opinion on the issues and candidates. i really haven't been paying attention to what the media has to say about any of the candidates. my opinion of Romney (and the others) comes from his own mouth and his own stance on various issues. that's just me. i don't trust the media as far as i can throw them.

#148 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
that's just me. i don't trust the media as far as i can throw them.
: - I have read a few news headlines here and there, but for the most part I haven't learned much about any candidate from the media (we don't have a TV).
#149 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
As far as I could tell, Kerry was running on a one-point campaign: "I solemnly promise I will not be George W Bush." And you're right, it just wasn't enough to get elected.

Whatever happens, I kind of hope the end of the world isn't too far away. Then politics won't matter. Do you guys ever feel hopeless when you see the mess the world is? It seems like the only way to fix it is the second coming sometimes.
#150 of 931 Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 PM

ITA, Bronwyn!! DH and i keep talking about what this world needs and then we always sigh and say "but i don't see that happening until Christ returns" it's a sad thought. all i can think to do is gather my family and just do what we can in our home and from our home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page