LDS Mamas and Papa(s): JANUARY 2008 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now to find out who the primary president is! Lol

I don't even know if she'd do anything, really. The sign on the door says something about, don't come get me if I'm sad, I'll come to you if it gets too bad, or something like that. Except they DON'T. If children cried last time for the whole 2 hours, and my son was crying to the point where they thought he was going to be sick, that's NOT coming to the parents if it gets to bad. *sighs* Thanks for the link. Maybe I can ask the missionaries who the primary president is.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#182 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Amanda?! Is that you?!

If so, I've only been suggesting you get on this thread for oh, EVER. *giggles*
yeah yeah its me *blushes*

lol

okay off to read the 3 pages i somehow missed while not being online for 2 days. this thread moves fast!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#183 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we blessed Deirdre today. Went very well, if that can be said of a blessing. Strong spirit, beautiful blessing - she (and we) was told that she would be strong in the spirit and that through her the Lord would do wonderful things in the Gospel. She was also blessed that her mother would be blessed to teach her the Gospel and how it petains to women and what it means to be a woman in the Gospel, and that she would be blessed with a quick mind and intellect ... and that she would be quick to learn and understand. That's what I remember, Alisa might remember more.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#184 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Well, we blessed Deirdre today. Went very well, if that can be said of a blessing. Strong spirit, beautiful blessing - she (and we) was told that she would be strong in the spirit and that through her the Lord would do wonderful things in the Gospel. She was also blessed that her mother would be blessed to teach her the Gospel and how it petains to women and what it means to be a woman in the Gospel, and that she would be blessed with a quick mind and intellect ... and that she would be quick to learn and understand. That's what I remember, Alisa might remember more.
I love baby blessings; dh was given the gift of prophecy when he was set apart for his mission and he sees their ENTIRE lives as he blesses them as babies. He doesn't, obviously, say their entire lives to the congregation but afterwards he tells me all he saw...like ds1's mission being someplace with many, many trees and how he suspects dd will have trouble conceiving and will lean heavily on her mama at that time. There's much more but most of it (especially a big purpose of ds2's existence) is sacred.

I feel a huge responsibility to my daughters, to explain their role on earth, in heaven, and in this Church. I'm glad the Church recommends homeschooling Sunday School above all other forms (as in, we teach them here first, Church is only a supplement).

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#185 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
t

He said that he wants to double Guantanamo and that he is glad that they are not on American soil and don't have access to lawyers. He said we should be monitoring all mosques in America for fundamentalism and terrorists. He said we should be adding soldiers to Iraq. He also supports free trade instead of fair trade and the absolute recognition and defense of American patents, which isn't a good thing if you've ever watched the movie "The Future of Food" and know what Monsanto has been up to. He said we should continue isolating Cuba because that will break Castro, even though e've been doing this for years and it hasn't done anything but hurt the regular citizens.

I know a lot of people support him but these things bother Bryan and me to the point where we think he lacks the Christian compassion that we would expect from a member of Christ's church, especially the idea of spying on Mosques, which is, to me, the same as saying we need to monitor all LDS chapels because of polygamous activity in the FLDS church. How can anyone blieve it is OK to round up all Muslim communities and consider them potential terrorists? If you have credible evidence that a particular community is involved, fine, but spy on them all? How is that OK?

I know this is only a small part of Romney's platform, but it's enough to turn us off from him.
If any of this is true, if he said any of this himself, I simply cannot vote for him. Have you sources? I can look if need be but it's breaking my heart to hear this from a Latter-day Saint and I feel unmotivated to smoke it out.

ETA: I did look for myself. Am a bit sick now. I wasn't actively supporting him but I cannot believe any Christian would support torture.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#186 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
I love baby blessings; dh was given the gift of prophecy when he was set apart for his mission and he sees their ENTIRE lives as he blesses them as babies. He doesn't, obviously, say their entire lives to the congregation but afterwards he tells me all he saw...like ds1's mission being someplace with many, many trees and how he suspects dd will have trouble conceiving and will lean heavily on her mama at that time. There's much more but most of it (especially a big purpose of ds2's existence) is sacred.

I feel a huge responsibility to my daughters, to explain their role on earth, in heaven, and in this Church. I'm glad the Church recommends homeschooling Sunday School above all other forms (as in, we teach them here first, Church is only a supplement).
Wow, that is ... is cool an appropriate word? That's cool!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#187 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is ... is cool an appropriate word? That's cool!
It is often SO cool...and at times it is very stressful for him, and hee, annoying for me. As in, I've never informed him of a pregnancy, he informs me. He knows when I will ovulate, what night to DTD to conceive. He knows when each child is meant to come to earth, he has seen all five of them lined up and waiting. He always knows the gender.

In March 2002, we were sick sick sick as dogs on and off the whole month. We DTD two times. It would have been once, except on March 14 he turned to me and said, "this is the night if you want our daughter this year. We could wait until next month, but it should be one of these two months."

That was the night. She was born early on December 10, 2002.

Of course, sometimes it's a blessing, 'cause we never have to use birth control.

#188 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
*. As I'm getting ready to walk into the room, I see a new sign they've put on the door. It's cutesy and all in rhyme, but it even said DO NOT come get your kids if they're sad. My stomach turned. I took DS in and played with him a little bit. Then I went to leave. At the same time, a screaming child was brought in. He freaked out if I took one step away from him. So I took him to SS and RS with me.

I can't believe that there's actually a sign telling people not to come and get their children!!!!
Nobody ever does nursery right.

So today they released someone and I went up to the Bishop and said he should call me and NCD. He seemed quite ecstatic that someone was volunteering.

You can bet your life that we'll be letting parents know that the nursery manual does not support CIO and we want to help children ENJOY church, not associate it with abandonment.
#189 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post
yeah yeah its me *blushes*

lol

okay off to read the 3 pages i somehow missed while not being online for 2 days. this thread moves fast!
AHHH!!! I love you!!!! *squeals* Haha. This, ladies is gentlemen, is one of the main reasons I came to the church. Amanda's amazing.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#190 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is often SO cool...and at times it is very stressful for him, and hee, annoying for me. As in, I've never informed him of a pregnancy, he informs me. He knows when I will ovulate, what night to DTD to conceive. He knows when each child is meant to come to earth, he has seen all five of them lined up and waiting. He always knows the gender.

In March 2002, we were sick sick sick as dogs on and off the whole month. We DTD two times. It would have been once, except on March 14 he turned to me and said, "this is the night if you want our daughter this year. We could wait until next month, but it should be one of these two months."

That was the night. She was born early on December 10, 2002.

Of course, sometimes it's a blessing, 'cause we never have to use birth control.
Wow!

#191 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM

KMJ, it sounds like you have a very intuned DH. Mixed blessing sometimes, eh?

Speaking of birth control, I volunteered today to give an enrichment night presentation on NFP. DH is a little worried I'm going to offend people with it, but I've been trying to assure him my whole motivation in doing this is to let people know it exists, it works and I speak from experience on that, and to answer some misconceptions about it. It's not to preach to anyone. I don't plan to have it gospel-oriented at all, except to point out that whatever method used is between the couple and the Lord. I'm looking forward to it. I wish someone had done this for me when I was newly married. Then I would have ditched the birth control pills long ago.
#192 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Nobody ever does nursery right.

So today they released someone and I went up to the Bishop and said he should call me and NCD. He seemed quite ecstatic that someone was volunteering.

You can bet your life that we'll be letting parents know that the nursery manual does not support CIO and we want to help children ENJOY church, not associate it with abandonment.
Alisa, I totally want to be in charge of nursery! How funny...

It's not just to introduce GD and really apply the nursery manual, either. It's to get in there and ensure a clean environment using more natural cleaners, not bleach and anti-bacterial everything.

#193 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
KMJ, it sounds like you have a very intuned DH. Mixed blessing sometimes, eh?

Speaking of birth control, I volunteered today to give an enrichment night presentation on NFP. DH is a little worried I'm going to offend people with it, but I've been trying to assure him my whole motivation in doing this is to let people know it exists, it works and I speak from experience on that, and to answer some misconceptions about it. It's not to preach to anyone. I don't plan to have it gospel-oriented at all, except to point out that whatever method used is between the couple and the Lord. I'm looking forward to it. I wish someone had done this for me when I was newly married. Then I would have ditched the birth control pills long ago.
That's awesome, I wish I could attend! Merely listing the advantages of being off the freakin' hormones is enough to convince me.

#194 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Alisa, I totally want to be in charge of nursery! How funny...

It's not just to introduce GD and really apply the nursery manual, either. It's to get in there and ensure a clean environment using more natural cleaners, not bleach and anti-bacterial everything.
And give them snacks other than Scooby Doo fruit snacks and replace the lady who tried to give Connor (who is highly allergic/sensative to dairy and dairy products (whey, casein, etc.)) Goldfish crackers because she thought that Cheddar goldfish crackers would be safe because they didn't have dairy in them

#195 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
And give them snacks other than Scooby Doo fruit snacks and replace the lady who tried to give Connor (who is highly allergic/sensative to dairy and dairy products (whey, casein, etc.)) Goldfish crackers because she thought that Cheddar goldfish crackers would be safe because they didn't have dairy in them
Well yeah, that too! Poor Connor.

#196 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 PM

I smell another awesome nursery opening in utah sometime soon.... :
#197 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That sucks. DS is allergic to dairy as well but highly over-processed forms like Goldfish crackers luckily don't bother him. Although he's one of 2 kids in our nursery with an allergy so they get animal crackers and pretzels I think.

#198 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Well, when I was the nursery leader, I _insisted_ that the max amount of crying be 5 minutes or we would get the parents. I would have had to resign from that calling, because I was the Leader for the youngest nursery in my ward which was all 18 mos. to 24 mos. And we had snack (healthy, dry), water, and music time and a lesson. It was great. I think I was an OK nursery leader.

I would volunteer to be nursery leader, but it's apparently harder to get a Primary President. Now I've removed snacks from Primary (I once thought this would be the first thing I took care of) mostly because we have some serious allergies in a few children, and a couple who are pre-diabetic.

Although now I have a 7 year old who came home from church totally low blood sugar and getting very sullen and negative and whiny. So she and I talked about how she will need to include a snack in her church bag to eat right after church. She noticed (hurray! that's success) that she was feeling sick in the last 15 min. of church, so we talked about how she could make it the last few minutes and then eat right away.
#199 of 931 Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Nursery bugs me too! My midwife was a nursery leader and she said they had each parent fill out a form about their child and one of the questions asked how long they should let the child cry before they came to get the parents. Some parents wrote 30 minutes!

We have 5 nurseries in our ward. My husband and I had subbed in one or another for the past 2-3 months. It's an exhausting calling, especially because we have a 6 month old and a difficult toddler. I tell all the parents that I will come get them if I can't get their child calmed quickly. Luckily I've only had to do it once. Most of the kids do well with gentleness and distraction. However - when it's playtime they open the curtains and join up with other classes and what I've seen with other teachers has made me so mad. In one instance there was a little boy who was crying in the corner and I asked if he was ok and ran to get him and his teachers said - oh he just had his feelings hurt. He's fine. He wouldn't let go of me for the rest of church. I don't want to complain too much because I REALLY don't want a nursery calling right now. Nursing a 6 month old on demand and trying to help our son stay in his sunbeam class is about all I can handle after sitting through Sacrament meeting. They typically do alright with snacks. Bland animal crackers and pretzels and water. Our primary has a no food policy.
#200 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Rose is one of those kids that gets to nursery, starts playing, and completely ignores the fact that I am even still in the room. She doesn't care the whole time I'm gone. She's happy to see me when it's over, but she doesn't cry and she doesn't get upset about me being gone at all. It's such a breat of fresh air from my newly minted Sunbeam, who insisted I sit by her in opening exercises and sharing time, clung to me the entire time, and was just a little bit bratty, too. I think she was exhausted. She's in bed already, I wish I could have put her in bed an hour ago before 7, but we had friends over tonight. She's not been acting like herself at all lately so it's been frustrating. She's supposed to be the flower girl and BIL's wedding and I picture her clinging to my leg, "NO I won't walk down the ISLE! I just want you, Mommy!" It's really sweet how much she loves us, but gosh dang it girlfriend, sometimes mom just needs a little space!

Anyway, our nursery has a new nursery worker in it and today I noticed for snacks they had FRESH FRUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA! They used to give them fruit snacks so thsi is such a breath of fresh air for me. Those kids were so cute. They're all so little now that the 3 year olds are gone. There are 6 Sunbeams (which is a lot for our ward, because last year there were 3, maybe 2 who came every week) and about 5 or 6 nursery kids now, so that group was pretty small. There was a new nursery girl in there who is just younger than Rose who had her first day today. I'm thinking she and Rose will probably end up being friends when they get a little older. I'm hoping, anyway, because I think there are only 4 kids born the same year as Rose.

So other than general brattiness from Lacy (which is probably from exhaustion from being sick for 2 months, and finally getting well again) chuch went really well. Plus I had teriyaki chicken in the crock pot waiting for my empty fast Sunday stomach, which made it even better!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#201 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 AM

Oh, and does anyone know anything about excema? We're battling it with both girls (mostly Lacy though) and we have to bandage up her legs at night to she won't scratch them to shreds She bled all over the covers the other night from scratching so much. Poor kid.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#202 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 AM

Hello all, My name is Tonya and I have been married to my wonderful Husband Jayson for 13 yrs next month. We have a 12 yo daughter Whitney, 10 yo son Jimmie, 7 yo son Garrett and a 3yo daughter Kaytlyn. I have been a member for 12 years this past December and love it. I'm looking forward to talking to all of you.
My calling is in the nursery. I do love the nursery. Everyone of those tiny people just full of the spirit. I couldn't ask for anything better.
#203 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Oh, and does anyone know anything about excema? We're battling it with both girls (mostly Lacy though) and we have to bandage up her legs at night to she won't scratch them to shreds She bled all over the covers the other night from scratching so much. Poor kid.
Ds has eczema and used to be that bad. Oh, the bloody sheets. And the nightly bandaging. There are a lot of helpful threads over in allergies forum-or health and healing I think. I know adequate water and Omega-3's are a big help for ds.

I was so sad today. I had gone into the mother's room to nurse and change E's diaper (I needed him to focus and get full since it was G's first day of sunbeams). There was a mom in there talking about how her son's circ was botched and he had to be put under to be re-circ'd. I wanted to say something so bad, but I bit my tongue b/c she is going through a really, really rough time with her dh. But,

On the plus side, G LOVED sunbeams. He is a little uneasy about nursery, but had a great time in Primary. YAY!
#204 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnanismama View Post
I don't want to complain too much because I REALLY don't want a nursery calling right now. Nursing a 6 month old on demand and trying to help our son stay in his sunbeam class is about all I can handle after sitting through Sacrament meeting.
That's why I want a nursery calling -Connor is in there for another year, and I have a newborn I already nurse on demand while I sit in nursery helping Connor. Sooooo.....it's perfect for me.
#205 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpott4 View Post
Hello all, My name is Tonya and I have been married to my wonderful Husband Jayson for 13 yrs next month. We have a 12 yo daughter Whitney, 10 yo son Jimmie, 7 yo son Garrett and a 3yo daughter Kaytlyn. I have been a member for 12 years this past December and love it. I'm looking forward to talking to all of you.
My calling is in the nursery. I do love the nursery. Everyone of those tiny people just full of the spirit. I couldn't ask for anything better.
Welcome!
#206 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
#207 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 AM

Welcome, Tonya!

We had stake conference today but get our seven new Sunbeams next Sunday. I'm excited but nervous, too. I kind of wanted to write a little letter to the parents, reminding them of the symptoms that would keep their kids out of Primary and mentioning that we have a lesson to give and overly upset/disruptive children will be coming right back to them (one of our newly graduated used to scream and claw the door for his parents, he went right back). I don't know how to word it nicely, though. Heh.

#208 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Bathing is going to exacerbate the problem. Go to the dollar store and get the Cetaphil knockoff cleanser, and pour 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle into each bath you give (I bought ten bottles at a time, and only bathed him once a week, a habit we've continued with subsequent children). This is going to make the tub extremely slippery so you'll have to stay right on them the whole time, but it will help. No soap at all, just use the water to clean them. Find a moisturizer that doesn't irritate their skin and rub it on them while they're still wet from that bath.

Our oldest had horrible eczema (to the point where he had to take this odd prescription drug which clears it up in 24 hours so you can start fresh, but completely alters the personality as a side effect) and it wasn't until we moved to an area with cleaner air that it cleared up. Not helpful, I know! Some of his was food allergies, too, and eliminating those foods helped, but the real turning point came when we moved.

#209 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 AM

Ack, I can't keep up!

nak

Welcome Tonya!!!

Gabriel's first day of Sunbeams was yesterday and it went great. He was so excited about it and it's all he wanted to talk about afterwards. The teacher was great and she gave the children (three in her class) little golden crowns to wear, God bless her. Gabriel was just glowing.

I am in Nursery and we technically have one child in nursery now, although we have two otehrs who are almost old enough so they usually come, too, and then my own 14-month-old is in there evey week. So we have 4 14-18-months-olds in our nursery.

It's rough because I am the nursery assistant, and the nursery leader-- who is a dear sweet woman-- lets the children cry for ten minutes before getting their parents. Well, ten minutes seems like a long time to me, and it makes it all very disruptive. And mostly, I just feel really bad for the babies. I'm on their side, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Excema is usually based on dairy and/or grain allergies/intolerances. It can then be exascerbated by other things. My son used to get flare-ups when exposed to second hand smoke, but it was caused by his gluten and dairy allergy. He has been on a grain free diet for 4 months now.

We are working hard on the Romney campaign-- over 8 hours of work put in on Saturday, and a couple of hours on Sunday, too (we consider it a sabbath appropriate activity). Sorry, but I pretty much agree with Mitt about Guatanamo and torture. I realize other people may have other views on it. Romney is doing really well, here, now-- we'll see if it's enough! Obama is doing really well, too. I think Hillary is tanking . . . we'll find out soon enough . . . we'll probably be out on Tuesday night at the Romney campaign headquarters as results come in! :

Oh, and DH was on TV with the campaign!! We don't even know how or when it happened, he's just there so often lately, and apparently a bunch of people saw him on TV.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#210 of 931 Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Tonya! I was just coming to post about you! Tonya is in our nursery. She was just complaining yesterday about the lack of fresh fruits for snack. So, a question, mostly for her. Those of you in nursery, do you have a budget through the Primary? Because apparently ours doesn't.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page