Crunchy Christian Mommas 2008 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 469 Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow...this thread was really hopping today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHippo View Post
Happy New Year! So glad there is a new thread going; I lurked on the old one but it was so spectacularly long that I couldnt keep up with it. May the Lord bless you all this year!

A little about me:
Lisa, married to Rob, mama to Noah (3) and Rachel (10 weeks). Christ-seeker, trying my best to understand a lot of things and find God's plan inamongst a lot of trials and stress in my life right now.

My daughter was born in November, and the birth was supposed to be a very enriching, strengthening, joyful event, but it turned out to be very different. Here is my birth story: http://http://www.mothering.com/disc...d.php?t=811269
I am so blessed to have my lovely little girl, I thank the Lord for her every second. But I am still so crushed that for the second time, God chose not to let me birth the way He intends us to. It meant a lot to me to try and have my kids naturally, and I ended up with 2 devastating emergency c-sections. I am trying to find His purpose in that but am having a hard time. Now, insurance has denied coverage of my c-section (we had to go to a non-contracted hospital due to emergency), and we are sitting on $20,000 of medical bills. My Dh is very stressed and its my fault ( he'd never say so directly, but I know he feels that my fervent desire to homebirth led us to this financial disaster - he's alluded to it), and I feel terrible about it. I am floundering with caring for 2 kids - I can't keep my house picked up, i have very little patience with my sweet (but very very very active) little boy, and I am not taking care of my husband's needs in any way. I feel like my body failed me, I'm failing my children, and I am failing my husband. I feel like a big fat failure. I just need prayers, in general.

Thanks, Ladies.

-Lisa
*hugs* I can sense from reading this that you're dealing with so many emotions right now. BTW - I struggle so hard with learning to keep a good house and I only have one child. It's hard. There are so many things that eat up our time.

It sounds like you're placing blame on yourself for a lot of things. I agree with what someone else said about talking to your husband about this or if you're not able to do that right now, a close friend maybe? We're definitely here for you to vent anytime. I just think you need an ear and a hug IRL, KWIM? It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to be perfect at everything. I can smell my own! All we can do is our best each and every day. And some days if we're having an off-day our best doesn't seem that impressive, but we can always start fresh the next day. Okay - I feel like I'm being preachy now. I'm not trying to. I just want to give you a big fat hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepav View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this thread, too. My dh, dd and I recently moved up to northern Michigan from the greater Detroit area. We're having difficulty finding a church that we click with. We've been praying for God to show us a church to attend, since fellowship is so important.

I would classify myself as becoming crunchy. Being green goes against everything my family stands for, so it's a process for us to find out where our little family stands on these issues.

Anyone else lonely? How do you deal with those feelings? God has always answered my prayers for friendship, and we're developing friendships slowly, but sometimes I wish we could have "insta-friends" where you mix and stir and voila! You're best friends.
I would say I'm in the becoming crunchy category. I was not raised this way and pretty much none of my friends are this way. So I find myself wading through unknown territory all by my lonesome. I would love to have friends IRL that support my decisions and lifestyle, but to be honest, I don't think it's going to be possible until my hubby and I move out of this town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikwembe View Post
I agree...I've found dismissing myself from the conversation or trying to steer it elsewhere works best. That way I don't make myself the "boo man", and I'm more able to talk about gentle parenting when the opportunity arises.

That said...heaven help the mama who asks me to talk more about my discipline philosophy! I have to work hard to keep it simple and condensed.
I think that's a great suggestion. I'll keep that in mind. I too have been around those "spanking conversations" and they make me so uncomfortable.
Especially the ones where people laugh at "funny" things that happened when they spanked their kid or "funny" spanking stories from their childhood. I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchynmmomma View Post
Oops--I forgot to ask: does anyone have any book recommendations of the Christian reading variety? I usually like to read a little something extra (in addition to the Bible) during Lent, plus I'm always looking for a good read...
I really enjoyed "A New Kind of Christian" by Brian McLaren. That's the only thing I've read recently that I can honestly say has been challenging. I'd love to hear some more recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Oooh, lots of good topics!

To various pp'rs, I found a great website dealing with gentle christian discipline, it's www.aolff.com . WOW!!!

Also...Crnchnmama...Ask me about heaven! it's one of my favorite subjects.

And good on-the-side reading is anything by C.S.Lewis!
That website is great. I've already bookmarked it. I haven't had a chance to make it through much of it, but I love the page with a response to the most often quoted verse when people defend spanking, the "spare the rod, spoil the child" one. I may even print it out and carry it around in my purse. I'm not even sure I'm joking about that either. I am sooooooo tired of people using that verse to not only justify but mandate spanking as the christian thing to do. Thank you for the link.

I'm really glad I found this tribe. I hope that we can get to know each other better.
#122 of 469 Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM

Hey, we sometimes all need a little refresher for our marriages. I just wanted to spread the word that our pastor is doing a series on marriages. If you go to FPC.org you can acctually watch the entire service. He is a great teacher. Thought I'd bring it up incase anyone was looking for that kind of thing!

BTW-another thing I want to share...I have been aching for a good friend since I moved a couple months back. I do believe God has heard my cry and answered my prayer. I have met the neatest woman. Praise God for friendship and fellowship!

Arielle
#123 of 469 Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 AM

wow! lots of posts for me to try to catch up on! last night wa sour last night of our revival, and everything went awesome!!! (except for my kids' behavior on monday night- ugh. was horrible!)

hopefully i won't forget any newbies, if i do, it is not intentional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewmommy View Post
You poor thing. How awful. *hugs* I hope that you have a quick recovery.
thanks crystal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
Any luck with the new church Crystal?
We recently have fallen in love with a church and the childrens ministry in incredible. Unfortunatly my oldest DD is very insecure (2 yr) and the ppl providing child care for my MOPS a couple weeks ago let her cry a long time with out paging me. Needless to say she hasnt gone back to Sunday School. Its so hard sitting through church with a chattering 2 year old that say repetitivly "mommy, please look at my face!" haha. Anyway, Hope everyone got to get out and hear a message today.

Arielle
aww, that's too bad they didn't respond to her needs appropriately. for her and you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewmommy View Post
We both felt good about it after a first go. So we're going to try it again.
i'm glad it feel slike a good fit so far.
Quote:
I don't have anyone else to share this with, but I'm super excited and scared and hopeful.....:

I just got accepted to bible college! I'm in the Ministry preparatory program, and I'm starting my first class Feb. 4th!

I have lots of work ahead of me, and I still don't know the extent of the Call God has placed on me, but I'm committed to it.

Pray for me, please, I don't know how I'm going to balance this and being a wife/momma. And I have ADD too, which just complicates things unbeleivably.

I'm glad you all are here!
PRAYING!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
I would love to join this group. I am crunchy and christian and a momma so i fit the criteria i guess. If it is ok i would love to join

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastormama View Post
Hello. I'm new here, and I would also like to join this group.

Quote:
Mom2tig99nroo03, How are you feeling? Thought I was having a bad day, then remembered how bad off you were the other day and prayed for you. I really hope things are clearing up and healing for you.

Arielle
thanks arielle. i am feeling SO much better. my headache is finally gone, praise the Lord!
Quote:
I am so thankful to find this community. It's great to be able to connect with other people who understand. Unfortunately, I joined this site because I had a m/c a week ago. I have found comfort and support, though, and am going a day at a time. I look forward to getting to know you all.
i'm so sorry to hear about your loss youthpastormama
Quote:
I am also a newbie here, so here's my intro: after teaching fourth grade for three years I had my son last June (06-04-08). I am blessed to be able to stay home this year with him. I feel so fortunate, but some days are definitely harder than others--it's wonderful to have a support of other mommas out there in cyberland. I just came across the term, "crunchy christian," and found that it fits me perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
here is my intro: my name is Krystal wifeto Daniel who is a marine and mother to two boys(as you can see in my signature). I have been a stay at home mom for 5 years and my DH is getting out of the marine corps this year thank goodness he has been on four deployments and will be going again out of country for thirty days ugh! My kids are used to it so it seems. I am excited that he is getting out but he wants me to work while he finishes school and i am scared. I have always wanted to stay a stay at home mom but he has worked for the last 6 and a half years of our marriage so i feel i should cut him some slack. I need your prayers on helping me with this transistion. I am so sorry that my intro turned into a soap box sorry.
I have been pretty crunchy and DH has been pretty mainstream. If i can describe us to a T it would be Dharma and Greg. I am the free spirit when it comes to life (even thought I am a christian) he is a pro everything i am not. He was the christian grew up in the church and I had grown up learning all the "pagan religions" (not wicca or cults but native american religion and bhudist just never really converted). When DH and I were just dating he took me to church and five months later I stood up to my family and said I feel a great pull to be christian. Needless to say i was baptized and we got married by the same pastor that baptized me a year and a half later. We try to instill alot f the smae values with a twist from my background (living to keep the earth : and animals the way God made them and protect them).
Hope I am still welcome sometimes when I tell people how it all came [B]together they in a way shun me for bieng honest.

I also new before having kids that I was going to selectivly vax if I even vaxed them. I didnt want to circ but I figured hubby had a say in that. I used cloth diapers and bf for as long as i could with both. We eat as organically as financialy possible. I have tried to be a vegetarian (I was before I had Evan but craved meat so bad while prego) but chicken gets me everytime.
If you have read all this kudos to all I havent bored out of their mind. thanks for allowing me to join your thread

Quote:
I'm sticking my head in late here...

my intro: We're a crunchy family who leans toward the "Emergent" side of faith, and lives in community with a small group of believers.

My background is pentecostal fundamentalist, and now I'm a crunchy, tree hugging hybrid of a lot of things. Mostly, a Jesus lover. I'm a birth junkie (doula on hiatus, hoping to start courses to become a birth counselor soon) and a natural health nut. :

I'm currently a SAHM of 2 girls under 3. I look forward to chatting with and praying with you all!
i don't quite understand "emergent faith" but hey, crunchy Jesus-lover fits afaiac. i'm a birth junkie as well. my un on a doula board is belliesbabiesboobies in fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz_415 View Post
I have a question- i might be over-reacting to this...
a little background:
i am not a super social person, but it has been killing me to not have any crunchy christian friends- i got involved in a local AP group, and while the ladies there are AWESOME, i need christian women in my life, well maybe not need...but you kwim DH and i have been church shopping for a long time. It is important to me to be involved in a group of believers, even if just for sunday worship and a message. well we found a young church that we love-and i thought id jump right into the picture, you know, womens group, small group,etc. Now, let me rewind a little and say that about 2 years ago i was involved in a small group with the church we attended at the time. the people were nice enough, and definately believers, but were very mainstream. Im talking, smaking the 2 year old for spitting mainstream, leaving a 2 year old to scream him self to sleep DURING our bible study mainstream. Not to mention the fact that i was the breastfeeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, not vaccinating or trusting society nazi of the group. one of the men even made a comment about how i didnt 'believe' in sweaters, when i was asked why i didnt have a sweater one cold evening... i know... wierd... so i felt very ostracized as a 'crunchy' or "gentle christian mama" does that make sense? so anyways (sorry for the novel) now we are here at this church and i have had a discussion with a youth pastor with similar parenting view as i, who said something to the effect of this- that the friendships you make are more important that the parenting differences... not really my opinion, but i thought about it and decided to go for it. so i went to my new small group last week, totally expecting the worst. i had my mind full of things to say if they had issue with me bfing DD in the room, you know. First meeting, went great. The people seem like genuine christians who want to grow in christ, not just sing songs, kwim? and i even noticed that one of the women was bfing her 18 month old son. awesome right? so i have been really excited all week, to go to my group tonight. we ended up just hanging out for several hours, and i dont know how it got started, but somewhere along the lines thw topic of spanking came up (between (A)me, (B)a woman with a 1 year old, and (C)a woman with 8 children, the youngest is 10 i think).
B-(to C) so what do you 'use'
C- oh, just a wooden spoon, you know, a nice wooden flat spoon...
(me taken by surprise and shocked)
i couldnt believe what i had heard!!!! then the woman with 8 childrens DH said something about how he liked to do it all natural... Then they said something about how another woman (the one who was bfing also-woohoo) uses the insole of a shoe!?!?!?!?! WTH!!! they must have seen the look on my face, because the one woman with the 1 yr old said, oh,sorry, do you spank. i said noooo.... the conversation proceeds about spanking and discipline and the 1yr olds mom said how he kept sticking his fingers in the fire place guard, and pinching his finger. no matter how many times she said no, he kept doing it and hurting himself, so eventually she smaked his hand. he just laughed and so she smacked it harder, and then he never did it again...

I am sorry this has turned into a novel, but i am so upset right now. and i think i am right to be upset. i think this is wrong, not christian at all, and not the type of people i want to be around. I do not want to go back to this group again. But if i dont, there goes my chance of any christian socialization... I dont know- this is exactly what i was afraid of happening. and i just dont really know how i should react. i mean, am i overreacting? Should i just continue to go and just not discuss discipline or other "crunchy" things with them (all of which i feel very passionately about) any advice, encouragement, or BTDT storied would be great im just so sad and slightly sickened that there are people like that that call them selves christians... am i going too far with this?
that sounds like it i was a really frustrating situation for you to have been in mama. perhaps God put you in this group to be an example of a different way of doing things? I'm pretty sure that I am the only mama in our church who bf for longer than a couple of months (dd is still nursing in fact, and she'll be 5 in a little over a week already) i don't think you're overreacting, but i would likely go with your gut and avoid discussing these topics for the itme being at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHippo View Post
Happy New Year! So glad there is a new thread going; I lurked on the old one but it was so spectacularly long that I couldnt keep up with it. May the Lord bless you all this year!

A little about me:
Lisa, married to Rob, mama to Noah (3) and Rachel (10 weeks). Christ-seeker, trying my best to understand a lot of things and find God's plan inamongst a lot of trials and stress in my life right now.

My daughter was born in November, and the birth was supposed to be a very enriching, strengthening, joyful event, but it turned out to be very different. Here is my birth story: http://http://www.mothering.com/disc...d.php?t=811269
I am so blessed to have my lovely little girl, I thank the Lord for her every second. But I am still so crushed that for the second time, God chose not to let me birth the way He intends us to. It meant a lot to me to try and have my kids naturally, and I ended up with 2 devastating emergency c-sections. I am trying to find His purpose in that but am having a hard time. Now, insurance has denied coverage of my c-section (we had to go to a non-contracted hospital due to emergency), and we are sitting on $20,000 of medical bills. My Dh is very stressed and its my fault ( he'd never say so directly, but I know he feels that my fervent desire to homebirth led us to this financial disaster - he's alluded to it), and I feel terrible about it. I am floundering with caring for 2 kids - I can't keep my house picked up, i have very little patience with my sweet (but very very very active) little boy, and I am not taking care of my husband's needs in any way. I feel like my body failed me, I'm failing my children, and I am failing my husband. I feel like a big fat failure. I just need prayers, in general.

Thanks, Ladies.

-Lisa
big hugs to you mama! praying for your situation. my kids are older, and i can barely keep our home straightened up, so just know that you're not alone there. as for the medical bills, if appealing doens't work, can you get on medicaid or some similar program? if you do it soon enough, they may cover it, as i know here they'll go back 3 months. if not, maybe you can apply for assistance through the hospital. or if nothign else, get put on a payment prgoram to only pay a little each month. there are some medical bills we havent even started paying on yet, and they're a lot olde rthan yours, because we're still paying on some from a couple yrs ago. call them anhd see if they'll work with you on making payments.

Quote:
rjruiz_415:

I would suggest when these hot topics come up that you lovingly suggest that you would prefer to talk about something else since you know you are not all in agreeance. We don't spank. The thought of hitting a 1 year old freaks me out, frankly. I'm sorry you had to sit through that conv!
i agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepav View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this thread, too. My dh, dd and I recently moved up to northern Michigan from the greater Detroit area. We're having difficulty finding a church that we click with. We've been praying for God to show us a church to attend, since fellowship is so important.

I would classify myself as becoming crunchy. Being green goes against everything my family stands for, so it's a process for us to find out where our little family stands on these issues.

Anyone else lonely? How do you deal with those feelings? God has always answered my prayers for friendship, and we're developing friendships slowly, but sometimes I wish we could have "insta-friends" where you mix and stir and voila! You're best friends.

Quote:
I agree...I've found dismissing myself from the conversation or trying to steer it elsewhere works best. That way I don't make myself the "boo man", and I'm more able to talk about gentle parenting when the opportunity arises.

That said...heaven help the mama who asks me to talk more about my discipline philosophy! I have to work hard to keep it simple and condensed.
lol, i kwum about trying to keep things succinct.
Quote:
rjruiz 415--Wow, I have never heard of anyone spanking with a shoe before! Anyway, like all decisions in life, probably the best thing to do is pray about it. Perhaps God has a purpose by these interactions with people who are not like-minded about spanking? Maybe through your actions you can plant the seeds of "gentle discipine" in the minds of these people? You just never know when/how God wants to use you as an instrument...
i agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillynika View Post
rjruiz_415: I think that much like showing Christ by our lives the best way for you to reach those type of people is to have wonderful kids! Eventually they are going to see that your kids are doing really well and ask you how you raise them and then you can have a loving conversation about gentle discipline. If you have only gone twice it might help to talk to the leader and voice your concerns...that you are feeling excluded from the group because of your parenting choices and if everyone could avoid discussing that kind of stuff until you all know each other better and have formed more lasting relationships that would really help you.

Getting into a debate is just going to alienate you from them more, but if that is where it ends up come back here and I bet the ladies here will help you defend yourself biblically. I know I have heard my dad speak (as a class leader) about how 'the rod' was part of the old covenant and not the new and about alternate (gentle) discipline...if you want me to I can ask if he still has an outline or something from that lesson.
<nodding>
Quote:
Oooh, lots of good topics!

To various pp'rs, I found a great website dealing with gentle christian discipline, it's www.aolff.com . WOW!!!

Also...Crnchnmama...Ask me about heaven! it's one of my favorite subjects.

And good on-the-side reading is anything by C.S.Lewis!
i don't have time to check it out right now, (it is already after 2 am and i need to fold laundry and get to bed!)but i will soon.
Quote:
rjruiz414 - As far as the non-"crunchy" Bible Study goes, my suggestion is to decide what you need. Are you looking to look into the Word and study, and also form relationships, or are you looking for friends to share life with and study the Word with? Do you see the difference? For me, I have different relationships with different people. There are a few who have the same views on parenting as I, and with those people we discuss our choices, support eachother, enoucourage eachother, offer suggestions, etc. Then there are others with whom I share different aspects of my life. I have several people in my life who are friends, but who don't agree with me on everything. So we agree to disagree.

The idea of "crunchy" is new to me. So far removed from the way I was raised. And I face a lot of ridicule from my parents for my choices. So I don't tell them a lot! Unfortunately I did not bf either of my ds for very long. I developed infections, and they were both ff from before six months of age. I regret this. My dd is almost 15 months, and I stopped bf her at 13 months. I was faced with a choice to stop bf and go on specific medications, or go into the hospital. Anyway, the entire time I was bfing my daughter, my parents would question and doubt me. They acted offended by my choice. As far as a "crunchy" diet - I get mocked at the mere sight of organic chicken broth. So - at 31 years old, I'm educating my self, and learning to grow up and not let my parents voices override what I know is the right thing to do.

Anyway - this was long. Thank you for your support.
i agree with the first paragraph, and am standing with you in prayer that those you care about will see how hurtful they can be and knock off the ridiculing.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#124 of 469 Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Hey, we sometimes all need a little refresher for our marriages. I just wanted to spread the word that our pastor is doing a series on marriages. If you go to FPC.org you can acctually watch the entire service. He is a great teacher. Thought I'd bring it up incase anyone was looking for that kind of thing!

BTW-another thing I want to share...I have been aching for a good friend since I moved a couple months back. I do believe God has heard my cry and answered my prayer. I have met the neatest woman. Praise God for friendship and fellowship!

Arielle
so glad you've met a good friend irl! our pastor did a marriage series last yr, and it was so good...

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#125 of 469 Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 AM

I am a bit overwhelmed at the amount of support that I have found here! I am so thankful for this site and this thread. As you can probably tell by my name, my husband is the youth pastor at our church. Well, because of his job, life can get real lonely. A lot of people taking from us, not so many willing to give. I have already felt so much love and support here - and I feel welcome. Thank you.

Another topic - anyone here a fan of Donald ******?
#126 of 469 Old 02-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I am a bit overwhelmed at the amount of support that I have found here! I am so thankful for this site and this thread. As you can probably tell by my name, my husband is the youth pastor at our church. Well, because of his job, life can get real lonely. A lot of people taking from us, not so many willing to give. I have already felt so much love and support here - and I feel welcome. Thank you.

Another topic - anyone here a fan of Donald ******?
LOVE Donald ******. I haven't read all of his stuff, only "What in God's Name Are We Searching For?" It was a refreshing read because I felt so incredibly validated in a lot of my concerns regarding the church today.

It must be hard to be a youth pastor's wife. Youth ministry is not an activity...it's a lifestyle and it's all-consuming. *hugs* I'm sure it can be rough at times.
#127 of 469 Old 02-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Wondering if I may join you ladies I have been around MDC for a while, just not active. I'm so glad to see this group as I thought MDC didn't have a whole love of Christian women.

I saw that someone had posted about their marriage. I wanted to mention that DH and I have been reading a great book by Kevin Leman (Christian author) called "Sheet Music". it has made all the difference in our marriage - we're still reading it. He is really upfront about sex and how it affects our marriages. It's a good read too

Anyhow, I look FWD to the discussions in this group!
#128 of 469 Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM

ypmama- i aghree with crystal- it doesn't sound like an easy calling, but think of all the lives that are being so positively impacted by you and your dh!

karri

there are a few of us Jesus-followers here and there

#129 of 469 Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 PM

oh, and i almost forgot (don't know how, lol) our saga continues.

the kids picked up the flubug (they;re better now already, lol)

and the hub got hurt last night at walmart. there was white rice on the floor, the floor wa smostly white, and he slipped. his leg went forward, but his knee tried to fold back=wards. we'll be calling and seeing if we cna get an appt with the oprthopedic doc on monday. hopefully we can get in within a couple days. he already had to back out of the overtime he was gonna have today, his regular 24 hour shift tomorrow, and his part-tiome job on monday.

#130 of 469 Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM

"there are a few of us Jesus-followers here and there "

Hey you're right! Listen to what Deitrich Bonhoeffer said about that...

Taken from 'Life Together, The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community'.
He quotes Psalm 133:1, then says, "It is not simply to be taken for granted that the christian has the priviledge of living among other christians...the Christian too, belongs not in the seclusion of a cloistered life, but in the thick of foes..."The Kingdom is to be in the midst of your enemies, And he who will not suffer this does not want to be of the Kingdom of Christ; he wants to be among friends, to sit among roses and lilies, not with the bad people but the devout people. O you blasphemers and betrayers of Christ! If Christ had done what you are doing who would ever have been spared?" (Luther) (emphasis mine)".

Wow!! He goes on to say that we are meant to bescattered until the day of Christ's return, because we cannot be a witness any other way.

It made me cry! It's really hard to swallow that we should consider it a rare and precious priveledge, not a right, to have fellowship with other beleivers!

This is a great book by the way, for anyone who wants some serious bible study!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#131 of 469 Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03 View Post
oh, and i almost forgot (don't know how, lol) our saga continues.

the kids picked up the flubug (they;re better now already, lol)

and the hub got hurt last night at walmart. there was white rice on the floor, the floor wa smostly white, and he slipped. his leg went forward, but his knee tried to fold back=wards. we'll be calling and seeing if we cna get an appt with the oprthopedic doc on monday. hopefully we can get in within a couple days. he already had to back out of the overtime he was gonna have today, his regular 24 hour shift tomorrow, and his part-tiome job on monday.
I hope that everyone in your family is feeling better--it all sounds pretty stressful! I feel like many times it's the gift of moms to hold it all together--I said a little prayer for you.

Thanks for all of the book recommendations! I'm going to check the library then amazon for one. I've decided to forego blogging during Lent. It's something that I spend a lot of time doing, and I feel like I can spend that time doing a Bible study, praying, reading, and just growing closer to our Lord. What do you all do for Lent? I've been both Protestant and Catholic, so I feel like I've had many perspectives (and heard many sermons!) on this season. Some people feel like you should give something up and others feel you should take something on. I say whatever brings you closer to God in your walk! Any feelings/suggestions/comments?

Happy Monday, everyone!
#132 of 469 Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 PM

I've never actually done Lent. It's not a big thing in the Nazarene church.
DH's parents are Episcopalians, though, so they do.

I don't even know what I'd give up.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#133 of 469 Old 02-05-2008, 01:11 AM

hi everyone it's nice to see this thread on here. i always feel better to know there are other crunchy jesus lovers out there and especially on here.
as for lent, I'm giving up swearing ( I know it sounds not quite right, but it's bad AND I enjoy it so...)and taking on a challenge to myself to bump up my attention to a single mom I know and to deepen our friendship and try to help her more.
I grew up in PCA not celebrating/practicing any liturgical stuff, so when I started attending the PCUSA church I go to now it was actually really cool to practice/observe Lent. It is now one of the most deeply moving times of the year for me and becoming one of my favorite events in the liturigical calendar. It is just cool to mentally focus on Christs ministry and death in prep for Easter. Most protestants just never think much about the passion it's all about Easter. For me celebrating and observing Lent has really opened up my world helped me grow closer to God.
I'm done ranting....
#134 of 469 Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 AM

Hmmm...I've never celebrated Lent. You guys are getting me interested though. Can someone explain it more? When does it start? What's the main gist of it? Etc...etc...I'd love to learn more.

Locksmama - My DH and I have been working on the swearing. We've come up with some really stupid replacements for words. I'm not one to read too much into using swear words. They're just words and all, but I don't want DS's first word to be a swear word. So we've decided to try and cut back on it. It's hard to break the habit for sure.
#135 of 469 Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=brandnewmommy;10468654]Hmmm...I've never celebrated Lent. You guys are getting me interested though. Can someone explain it more? When does it start? What's the main gist of it? Etc...etc...I'd love to learn more.

Lent is one the church's seasons, like Advent and Epiphany. It begins on Ash Wednesday (tomorrow!) and ends on Easter. Different churches recognize it in different ways (or not at all), but in general it's a more somber time of reflection and penance. If I remember correctly, the forty days of Lent is also a remembrance of the forty days Jesus spent in the wilderness being tempted by Satan. I personally have always enjoyed Lent. It really helps the celebratory day of Easter be all the more special...

In some churches parishioners are urged to "give up" something as an act of fasting and/or self-denial. It can be anything from diet coke to meat to swearing (as mentioned above). Again, not all churches (and Christians) do this, and I'm certainly NOT saying that you're a "better" Christian if you do--it's all a matter of personal preference. I've also heard of people taking things on instead of giving them up. For instance, one year I decided to go the Wednesday Lent services in addition to the Sunday services. I think that whatever it is that brings you closer to God and helps you rejoice in Jesus's resurrection come Easter...I hope this helped!
#136 of 469 Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 PM

Yeah!!! It's great to see a new thread started and so many Christian mamas joining in.
I haven't had time to read all the posts yet, but I wanted to say a quick hello. I was just thinking of how isolating it can feel at times being a "crunchy Christian"... I'm happy to have found you all here!

We're all giving up meat for the season of Lent. We're also reading a booklet called "Leap into Lent" by Julia Schloss that our church sent to us. It has daily devotions for kids that are connected to Lent. I'm looking forward to going to our church service tonight.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!
#137 of 469 Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
We don't have lent, but we give up leaven(SP?) after passover.
#138 of 469 Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM

Just wanted to stop in and say hello!

Hope you are all doing well.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#139 of 469 Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Happy Ash Wednesday! Just wanted to say that my Church & family have never really put an emphasis on Lent, but I observe it anyway. I will be giving up over endugence. (pure glutton here! haha) Wish me luck!
#140 of 469 Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Maybe this sounds bad. I'm considering alcohol or chocolate, but both Valentines Day and my anniversary fall during Lent. I can't imagine not toasting our anniversary with a glass of wine. Maybe I could do chocolate. I guess I need to hurry up and decide. Or maybe I'll research this during the next year and do it next year. Might be more meaningful this way. I guess after hearing about it I kind of like the idea of it and think that it could help me to focus more on what Christ did for me on Easter, KWIM?
#141 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 AM

Hello! I haven't been on for over a week! How are you all doing?
#142 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Wow you mamas are to fast for me!

PRaise--- my DH FINALLY got a job!!!!!!!!! (it's been almost 5mos). He is working with "at risk" youth who live and go to school where he works (it is a Christian based program). This is just his second day but he is loving it...unfortunately the pay is pretty typical for "ministry" work...but we are hoping he can get a second job working part time.

Welcome to all the mommies that have recently joined!
#143 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

PRaise--- my DH FINALLY got a job!!!!!!!!! (it's been almost 5mos). He is working with "at risk" youth who live and go to school where he works (it is a Christian based program). This is just his second day but he is loving it...unfortunately the pay is pretty typical for "ministry" work...but we are hoping he can get a second job working part time.
That's great! Congratulations.

#144 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Hello all! I just wanted to join the thread. I am very chrunchy & very Christian. I live in the south with my husband, & two beautiful daughters. My dad passed away last year, & my mom now lives with us. She is only 55, so she will be with us a long time we hope. We just got back from the health food store. It has Country in the title, so DD2 started calling it the Crunchy store when she was about 2, she couldn't say country. I thought it was quite appropriate, so now we all call it that!
#145 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilleran@earth-co View Post
Hello all! I just wanted to join the thread. I am very chrunchy & very Christian. I live in the south with my husband, & two beautiful daughters. My dad passed away last year, & my mom now lives with us. She is only 55, so she will be with us a long time we hope. We just got back from the health food store. It has Country in the title, so DD2 started calling it the Crunchy store when she was about 2, she couldn't say country. I thought it was quite appropriate, so now we all call it that!

to the thread!

#146 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM

I could use all your prayers...found out today we have miscarried. I knew it was likely last week but didn't get the results till this afternoon. :

Stay at home mom to three little boys born 6-06, 12-08, and 4-11.
#147 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I could use all your prayers...found out today we have miscarried. I knew it was likely last week but didn't get the results till this afternoon. :
Said a prayer for you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

#148 of 469 Old 02-11-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I am very sorry for your loss
#149 of 469 Old 02-12-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
I am so, so sorry for your loss.
#150 of 469 Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
So so sorry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page