Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good morning!
#122 of 602 Old 02-29-2008, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Love this thread.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#123 of 602 Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Ooh, subbing...

I haven't been around lately and just came across this thread. I love it!!!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#124 of 602 Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 PM

I was thinking about what had been written about salt, and how I felt so dirty as a child, due to various abuse that I internalized. And I used to crave salt so much. And I still crave salt a lot, although now I use healthy, natural, "real" versions of salt. And it just clicked for me that I was craving-- and do crave-- the salt for it's purifying qualities. Perhaps also for it's protective qualities.

So cool.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#125 of 602 Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I was thinking about what had been written about salt, and how I felt so dirty as a child, due to various abuse that I internalized. And I used to crave salt so much. And I still crave salt a lot, although now I use healthy, natural, "real" versions of salt. And it just clicked for me that I was craving-- and do crave-- the salt for it's purifying qualities. Perhaps also for it's protective qualities.

So cool.
doesn't it feel wonderful to live with intention and understand and honor the innate wisdom of our bodies and souls?
#126 of 602 Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

got some more for you...how bout burning in a difuser one or more of the following eo's to make it feel more like home?

vanilla
cinnamon
pine
chocolate

and make freshly baked chocolate chip cookies at least 1x per week (give to neighbors!)

This is also good for selling a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybartlett View Post
For all the positive ideas!! I am going to try the salt right away while I get ahold of some sage.

I did some googling last night and read sweetgrass is good to burn after you purify with the sage.

When we closed on the house it turned out the previous owner was a bitter angry man.We had many problems with the closing and almost were homeless in between because of him.I think he left his negative energy here.My husband is often irritable and angry and has these rages he never had before this!!I too feel irritable and have rage when dealing with the kids.It is worse when we are cooped up in the house.Summertimes in the backyard are great!!

We bought this house as a fixer upper.My husband has done work on the garage., the outside of the house,the basement...but seems to purposefully avoid the interior.I have to nag and bug to get any little thing done and this is a man who LOVES to fix stuff!! He had all kinds of plans for the inside before we moved in.He claims it is a $ issue (these things cost more) but I know of lots of little things he could do for free or cheap.It's like he really doesn't enjoy being in here!!

I love the idea of lots of happy gatherings with good food.We have rarely entertained here except when its nice out because it is so small.I will have to do it anyway and bring in some good vibes!!

keep the ideas coming this thread is great!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#127 of 602 Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

bump.

#128 of 602 Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM

Any plans for a kitchen witchie Ostara? I'll be making an egg tree this weekend and getting eggs ready to dye (onion skins, coffee grounds, tea bags, beets, cabbage) so we're going to have LOTS of egg guts in the fridge. Any creative ideas?

Or ideas for blending the spring energies into the kitchen/house?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#129 of 602 Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 AM

their fav site online for ordering smuding supplies?? I am looking for sage bundles and sweetgrass braids....

thanks!!!
#130 of 602 Old 03-15-2008, 01:44 PM

I love this thread!

I love being kithen witchy. I actually want to take an online herbalism course, but I want it to be pretty in depth and reputable. I have a large basic knowledge of herbs already, but wanna know it all!

I used to cook in pyrex only, but it's hard to get it to not stick to the bottom all the time.

::
#131 of 602 Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 PM

I do most of my shopping locally... health food stores, herb shops.

But if I can't find it locally I'll turn to Cat's shop. http://www.luckymojo.com

Sometimes have luck with http://www.localharvest.org, which is cool to me because it's mostly small farmers.

And of course, Mountain Rose Herbs http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybartlett View Post
their fav site online for ordering smuding supplies?? I am looking for sage bundles and sweetgrass braids....

thanks!!!

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#132 of 602 Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Hey everyone!

My kitchen doesn't feel very kitchen-witchy, IYKWIM. We live in a rental and my kitchen feels very cold and hard (the energy, I mean! ) I find that we don't naturally gravitate to spending time in there.

The walls are a nice warm yellow color, but the floors and counters are a kind of beigey color. There is one nice big window with white curtains. The cupboards are white. The refrigerator and oven are white. At it's best the kitchen looks pretty and crisp, but not terrribly inviting (to me). This is what it looks like: http://smithfamilytimes.blogspot.com...d-kitchen.html

My dream kitchen would have a nice comfy cozy energy with an old-fashioned fireplace and an easy chair and warmer, red and green colors.

How can I get that energy into the kitchen that I have now? Any ideas?

#133 of 602 Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm riding in on LTBs question, I have been wondering the same thing.

I have some thoughts-

*Fill it with yummy scents from oils, baking, or anything else (natural, of course).
* Keep it clean (yes, this is an issue for me )
* Decorate it with homey things- towels (maybe knitted yourself! This is a goal of mine), figurines, jars, etc.

I hope that gives some ideas. As you can see, I'm still looking.

I'm also wondering how to make my dinning room and table feel more inviting.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#134 of 602 Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Ok, Caitlin, I just looked at your kitchen and am soooo jealous! : I LOVE IT! How did I not think of plants???? Especially potted herbs. You know what would add a yummy feel? Hanging fresh herbs.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#135 of 602 Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I have some thoughts-

*Fill it with yummy scents from oils, baking, or anything else (natural, of course).
This is what I've chiefly been using and it really does help a lot. I have a little oil diffuser that I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Ok, Caitlin, I just looked at your kitchen and am soooo jealous! : I LOVE IT! How did I not think of plants???? Especially potted herbs. You know what would add a yummy feel? Hanging fresh herbs.
Thanks! It's not QUITE that clean right now! And the flowers had to go, because DS2 is 16mo and gets into everything he can reach now. But the other green plant is nice and full now. I like the fresh herbs idea, although I'm not sure where I would hang them. But that's a good idea.

I was thinking that red, maybe gingham curtains would really help the place feel warmer, but I don't know if I want to spend the money on it right now (and no, I can't sew them right now.)

#136 of 602 Old 04-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Hey! What is everyone cooking up?

I made a new soup last week to take to a friend who recently had a baby. Everyone loved it so I wanted to share the recipe. Persian Wishing Soup

I've been walking around the garden just eating things- newly sprouted mustard greens, rosemary flowers, lilac flowers (they are yummy!). Make me all happy.

jul~ what are you up to?

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#137 of 602 Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 AM

Hey guys.. jeepers its been eons since I checked in on this thread!

I use alot of salt.. I use it in nearly all my cooking and all my magickal workings. I consecrate all of it before I use it.

I'm late for this I know, but we also had tons of egg left from our Eostar activities, so I used the recipe from Pooka and made Ostara Roll ups! They are alot of devilled eggs, but rolled in ham! Yummy!

Well.. I just wanted to pop in.. back to my ritual writing..
#138 of 602 Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM

subbing here.

like some others who have written here, i can sometimes feel mealtime as a challenging chore. i thrive on the energy that is created from heartfelt intention in the kitchen--feeling gratitude, and praying for my cooking to bring nourishment to those i love. i had a great expereince this weekend with family visiting. i would never have wanted to cook a very late dinner, but it was such a joy because of the intention.

i am quite interested in the writing above about salt. needing more of it in my body, and getting intense cravings. also have been doing prayers for cleansing from negativity, so seeing this connection is cool.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#139 of 602 Old 04-09-2008, 05:25 PM

anyone have special foods/herbs they use, whether personal or from a spiritual tradition, for ceremonial honoring of ancestors?

#140 of 602 Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Salvia, thanks for thinking of me. I'm glad to see the thread active again!

Let's talk about honoring ancestors from a Jewish perspective and probably from several others as well...

Foods for birth/death include:
Eggs, particularly hard boiled
Lentils (I have no idea why, maybe someone could help me with that)
Salt/Bread/Wine

I do have lots more I would like to talk about, particularly for those interested in discussing the Passover holiday and the food restrictions associated that from a metaphysical perspective. But I've gotta RUUUUUN....

#141 of 602 Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#142 of 602 Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 PM

Hello!

I'm wanting to learn a lot more about wildcrafting and using herbs in my daily cooking. I harvested some wild nettles during a walk by the beach on the weekend, as I'd heard that around May 1st was a great time to start picking them. Then I made a simple soup including onions, garlic, potatoes, nettles and soup stock, and it was so delicious and nourishing!

My kids also love picking dandelion greens for our salad for dinner!

I'd love to hear about other wildcrafting...

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#143 of 602 Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM

ooh, that soup sounds soooooooooo yummy.

i'm glad this thread is bumped up again! i'm going to reread it, as we're moving soon and i'm daydreaming about my new kitchen and all the things i'm going to cook in it.
#144 of 602 Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 PM

I've been following this thread from the beginning but just never posted.

kangamitroo there is a specific dish that we prepare (we are Greek) to honor the dead. Here is a link to a nice description and story. Although this particular link has a strong reference to Orthodox traditions, kolliva (or a variation of it)probably predates Christianity.

This thread has been very interesting and educational for me.
#145 of 602 Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 PM
jkg

Hi mamas! I haven't posted on this thread but have been lurking for awhile. I was hoping you might be able to help me.

I am feeling as if something is off balance in my body, and I can't tell exactly what. I feel the need to do some kind of cleanse/detox, but I'm breastfeeding. I did smudge my house and myself, but I still feel some pull toward purification.

Can anyone recommend any recipes/rituals that are safe for me while breastfeeding? Thanks!

Jennifer
#146 of 602 Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 AM

any wild greens would be cleansing or nourishing. If you can't get them wild then dried nettles are great too. Salt is purifying, and epsom salt soaks are great for detoxification. Crab apple flower essence is also a great thing to do for purification and cleansing. All great for breastfeeding.
#147 of 602 Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM

superstella, thanks for posting the story about preparing kolliva to honor the dead.

jkg, one simple cleanse i can suggest involves taking a bowl of tepid water and saying your prayers over the water (in this case it might be "may i be cleansed"). the idea behind this is that your intention creates the prayer, so the specific words are less important. you might light a candle. then after bathing as usual, while concentrating on your intention, pour the water over yourself from the top of your head down.

#148 of 602 Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing, bumping this wonderful thread, and adding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
anyone have special foods/herbs they use, whether personal or from a spiritual tradition, for ceremonial honoring of ancestors?
I've been thinking about this one a lot.

I have recipes that were handwritten or typed years ago by my grandmothers, father, aunt -- people who have passed on.

I find following these recipes is a way of honoring the people who wrote them out.

I love family reunion cookbooks, church and community cookbooks for the same reason. There is magic in the old recipes, I think!

I have awful handwriting myself, but I should copy out more of my own recipes for my daughter and friends, just to see if the feeling can be shared.

Also, food and plants grown on the land my family homesteaded, which my sister and I still own, is very special.
#149 of 602 Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
I have recipes that were handwritten or typed years ago by my grandmothers, father, aunt -- people who have passed on.

I find following these recipes is a way of honoring the people who wrote them out.
this resonates with me. i think of being in the kitchen with my dad while he made fish cakes, and him saying "here's what Nana always told me to do." in that moment, i get a flash of my dad when he was small, and also his Nana small in her Newfoundland kitchen. powerful stuff.

i find myself longing to sit with my Nana (gone now 19 years), to ask what her mom and aunts would do for colds, for aches and pains. in Newfoundland they had no material goods. yet they must have found their ways.

#150 of 602 Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

an aside. Anyone read the Earth's Children books (Clan of the Cave Bear and so forth) by Auel? Those totally inspired me to become the medicine woman that I am!

Just healed the family using GARLIC and VIT C and ecinatia/cats claw/astralagus combos. Also just learned how GSE (grapefruit seed extract) rocks everything. Kills yeast, kills a bunch of yuckie stuff in the body. My neighbor also told me that you can kill strep with zinc!

And because I think the thyroid can use a lot of support in most womyn, I"ve started taking kelp capsuels. Used to eat it more, but this will do for now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page