LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, the bad habits...That's where dd picked up the word 'mine' and stopped cheerfully sharing. I guess there's only so many times you can have your toys ripped out of your hands before you start taking them back and doing the same thing. It's a little like "Lord of the Flies" sometimes. I'm not sure there is anything you can do to stop it - we've just found that we have to be doubley careful to set a good example at home to counteract nursery 'socialization.'

, , , and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
It's a little like "Lord of the Flies" sometimes.
:

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 PM

Alisa-Could you just be in there for a few minutes?Help set the tone?When my callings have permitted, I spent a good 15 min.-an hour per week in our old ward nursery, just to be sure it WAS a positive place.Here in this ward, we've had no issues,I am the Primary secretary, so I can dawdle a little if I like when I chart attendance.

On a side note,why do so many wards put the old ladies nobody wants to work with in as nursery leaders?This is our second ward with this issue, and it's becomming a concern.I think it's unfair to the children, and to the trusting parents.

On a more personal note,can I just say,I am needing a break from personal trials here!It's one after another for 6 months now!I feel like I'm in spiritual labor.I've had very painful surges,I've learned to assimilate them, ride the tide, I have a sense of a great progression, and a great finish,but I feel like I'm in transition now.I'm almost there,but I'm tired, worn down, lost inspiration,and all I can do is hold on.And all the while, it does not stop!No break, no rest, trial on top of trial,and if this analogy holds true, I can feel something earthshattering huge comming my way, the crowning, the birth,THEN finding my balance in whatever new sphere I find myself in...recovering myself... giving myself over...
I need a spiritual doula!For and :

:::
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM

KindRedSpirit, I went through a couple of nightmare years (maybe it was longer). It ended a couple of months ago. I still have "regular" trials, but the nightmare part is over. I thought it would NEVER end, but as my mother used to tell me when I was going through bad times, "This, too, shall pass." So far, she's been right. Hope this gives you a little strength to hang in there.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

In an ideal world, our Visiting Teachers WOULD be our spiritual doulas!

I do spend a lot of time in nursery, if only because they never remember that DS can't have snacks with dairy. I don't know why that is so hard! But when I see what happens with the children (and now my son has become an instigator) I realize that people really do see it as simply a daycare instead of an opportunity for children to have spiritual experiences. And children under three can't be reasoned with - it doesn't help me to ask DS why it was a wrong choice for another child to take his toy.

We'vebeen teaching him to share or trade during playgroup, and sometimes he tries that during nursery, but the other children don't usually understand what he is trying to do. I try while I am there to help DS and whatever child he is interracting with to compromise but I'm not seen as someone with authority who has to be listened to.

If there is a major tiff, of course the leaders try to intervene, but a lot of the gentler children get walked on a lot, sometimes literally!! No wonder public schools are basically anarchy! One teacher for 25 kids!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM

so I've discovered this blog something or other out there and it's been really fun to read all these posts. Anyway, I remember this coming up before, how some wards have "policy's" where women can't open the Sacrament meeting with prayer. This lady wrote a little article about it and I found it insightful
Oh and we don't have this issue in my ward. Our Sacrament meeting actually usually opens with a female

http://www.mormonmomma.com/index.php/2007/prayer-thing/
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Marly, that was awesome. I appreciate you sharing that. Now if I hear anyone say something like that, I am armed with logic. I have actually heard this said in a ward here in Utah and I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if it came from a reliable source.

By any chance, do we know what the comment was by President Benson that started the confusion?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 PM

I don't personally know it. But if you read the discussion on that thing, they really get into it I think it's interesting and happy to find out it isn't policy.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM

I'll have to pay more attention in our new ward. In the ones we have gone to before a couple is often asked to give the prayers and the wife is usually asked to go first

Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

I still remember when the Bishop in our student ward announced the policy. He was really nervous about it and said he realised it wouldn't sit well with some people but he hoped they would have faith. What a stupid thing.

NCD called his MOM out in California, who is an RS President, and she had a good laugh over it.

Unfortunately this is one of many reasons why I am not always very good about sustaining local leaders...If it didn't come from a prophet or apostle, and I hear it from them or see it in writing, I don't accept it. That Bishop made it sound like this was coming from the First Presidency, and I even defended him during testimony meeting, and now I feel tricked. It's too bad people feel compelled to perpetuate Mormon culture and traditon over real doctrine.

As a side note, I'm reading some speeches by the Dalai Lama, and he gives a great presentation on why we should never talk badly about Churches we leave. I'd like to send it to a lot of ex-Mormons I know. He says a religion that is bad for us is still good for millions of other people, and to talk badly about a religion gets in the way of creating world cooperation and harmony. I'm over-simplifying it, but it is a quite humbling and loving idea he is trying to encourage.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 AM

Family prayer question: DH works at 6:00am 4 days a week and I usually sleep through his alarm (which is wonderful!) But then we never say a family prayer in the morning those days. Any suggestions? I could get up with dh, but I'm not sure my 3 yo would go back to sleep which would be a disaster and I need all my sleep Is it ok if I say the morning prayer with our dds when we wake up? That would at least be better than now

And how do you do your individual prayers? Right now DD1 is usually running around me and I do my best to get her to be quiet. But it's not very spiritual

Old 07-10-2008, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

We just pray together as a family at night before we go to bed. In the mornings I pray with the bebes myself.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
so I've discovered this blog something or other out there and it's been really fun to read all these posts. Anyway, I remember this coming up before, how some wards have "policy's" where women can't open the Sacrament meeting with prayer. This lady wrote a little article about it and I found it insightful
Oh and we don't have this issue in my ward. Our Sacrament meeting actually usually opens with a female

http://www.mormonmomma.com/index.php/2007/prayer-thing/
Interesting stuff. I don't really notice who says our opening/closing prayers, so I have no idea if my ward has a policy on this or not.

I talked to my DH after reading this article and your comments. According to him, the CHI said, at least at one point in time, that the priesthood was to open meetings (possibly just a recommendation, not a mandate, I'm not sure). My dad also concurs with this and has expressed annoyance when a woman offers the invocation or when a husband/wife offer both Sacrament Meeting prayers (which is apparently wrong as well). My DH served as a branch president on his mission and was quite familiar with the CHI at the time (1999) and my dad has been both a bishop and a branch president (80's and early 90's), and is often a member of the high council (he's currently on the high council, even as a missionary in a foreign speaking mission).

I don't have the current CHI to take a look at, but according to the blog, this prayer order recommendation is not currently in the CHI, but it may have been at one point. I'd love to see if past editions have this in it, or if perhaps the bloggers missed something in the current edition of the CHI. Or perhaps my dad and DH are both wrong and misinterpreted something in the CHI.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Family prayer question: DH works at 6:00am 4 days a week and I usually sleep through his alarm (which is wonderful!) But then we never say a family prayer in the morning those days. Any suggestions? I could get up with dh, but I'm not sure my 3 yo would go back to sleep which would be a disaster and I need all my sleep Is it ok if I say the morning prayer with our dds when we wake up? That would at least be better than now

And how do you do your individual prayers? Right now DD1 is usually running around me and I do my best to get her to be quiet. But it's not very spiritual

We do family prayer at night as well. I *need* to keep the babe and the 3 y/o sleeping as late in the morning as I can!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

A friend and I have been discussing this and don't know anything difinitive so I thought I'd throw it out here. If you are unworthy to go to the temple and unworthy to take the sacrament, should you still wear your garments?
Old 07-13-2008, 03:46 AM

Yes, unless you have specifically been told by the Bishop not to wear them. Because even if you're unworthy, it is still a reminder of the convenants you've made.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 PM

I'm sure you're still supposed to wear garments. I don't think Bishop's have members who are going through the repentance stop wearing them. I think not wearing them would only add to what they shouldn't be doing.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's my take on it, but does anyone have a reference?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Can I join in? I've posted a couple of times in this forum, but not on this thread. I'm Kristen, married almost six years now, and I have two little girls. We live in SLC. I'm not super-crunchy but I'm working on it!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hi and welcome!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM

Welcome

Lacysmommy, if you read the discussion on that same blog, you'll find them talking more about it.

So, I'm watching End Of Suburbia (It's a documentary) It's awesome! It totally shows me the church is true. I'm happy my dh and I have decided to start more self reliant. It's just scary where we're headed. We're currently getting debt free and want to save up for our house before we buy it. I want to have a wind mill and solar panels. I want to have an enormous garden and be able to be as close to my dh's work as possible. It's just crazy stuff Anyway, just my current obsession.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

What's End of Suburbia about?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 PM

I'll type out the synopsis on the back:
"Since World War II North Americans have invested much of their newfound wealth in suburbia. It has promised a sense of space, affordablility, family life and upward mobility. As the population sprawl has exploded in the past 50 years, so too the suburban way of life has become embedded in the American consciousness.

Suburbia, and all it promises, has become the American Dream.

But as we enter the 21st century, serious questions are beginning to emerge about the sustainability of this way of life. With brutal honesty and a touch of irony, The End Of Suburbia explores the American Way of Life and its prospects as the planet approaches a critical era, as global demand for fossil fuels begins to outstrip supply. World Oil Peak and the inevitible decline of fossil fuels are upon us now, some scientists and policy makers argue in this documentary. The consequences of inaction in the face of this global crisis are enormous. What does Oil Peak mean for North America? As energy prices skyrocket in the coming years, how will the populations of suburbia react to the collapse of their dream? Are today's suburbs destined to become the slums of tomorrow? And what can be done NOW, individually and collectively, to avoid The End of Suburbia?"

Basically when we started moving out away from the cities we set ourselves up for having to use cars to get anywhere. We don't have walking societies. We have to drive to work, the grocery store, to buy clothes. They didn't build suburbia to sustain itself. I mean that's the very reason we have stayed in the city. We want to be as close to dh's work as possible. If that means we live in an apartment in the city, then so be it. We want to save up to buy a house, but we want to still be close to work and play. We want to live in an area where they have things close enough to walk to. It's really kind of interesting to think about. I guess we get to clean up after what our grandparents did
Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
That's my take on it, but does anyone have a reference?
Anyone know if the handbook is on lds.org? It would be interesting to see a reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post
Can I join in? I've posted a couple of times in this forum, but not on this thread. I'm Kristen, married almost six years now, and I have two little girls. We live in SLC. I'm not super-crunchy but I'm working on it!
Welcome!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 PM

I just thought I'd drop in and say Hi to everyone! We (as in dh and myself) are new to LDS and have our baptisms coming up. I'm excited and a little surprised to learn that this is the place we belong

This has been an amazing process. I've been reading and revisiting this thread for the last several weeks and finally signed up at the natural LDS living site so hopefully I will see you there as well.

banana.gif

Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 AM

Hey, mamas! I was hoping you could possibly help me out. I'm not LDS, but my sister is. She is due with her baby boy in Sept. and I am trying oh so very hard to educate her about circ. I was wondering if you mamas know of any scriptual references to circumcision in the BOM?? I think I remember reading a few, but It's beyond me how to even find them again.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be *so, so, so* appreciative!

PM me if you have any references that would help me out!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:47 AM

I wanted to put them here so others would be able to see them.
I actually have them written in the front of my scriptures so I have them for others
Moroni 8:8, D&C 74: 3, and A bible reference Acts 21:21 I hope that helps. It didn't with my brother who I'm sad to say circumcised my new nephew. I saw his diaper being changed and the poor guy looks like its gone in. Sorry, personal I'm sure but I feel bad for him.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 AM

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I still remember when the Bishop in our student ward announced the policy. He was really nervous about it and said he realised it wouldn't sit well with some people but he hoped they would have faith. What a stupid thing.
Unfortunately this is one of many reasons why I am not always very good about sustaining local leaders...If it didn't come from a prophet or apostle, and I hear it from them or see it in writing, I don't accept it. That Bishop made it sound like this was coming from the First Presidency, and I even defended him during testimony meeting, and now I feel tricked. It's too bad people feel compelled to perpetuate Mormon culture and traditon over real doctrine.
Good grief. It was a funny post on that blog, but it's sad to me how many members get dragged into things that are opinions, not doctrine. My sister is a prime example. She believes strongly in following everythign to the letter...so when her student ward bishop (3 years ago) said that facebook was bad and to not join it, she took that as doctrine. She won't touch it, even though he's no longer her bishop. When her current bishop said that ward members should attend their own ward (that extras were ok for babyblessings etc, but don't skip your own ward if you're in town, because half the ward was missing every week) she took that as NO reason is acceptable to miss your own ward, so when our son wanted to be baptized in a lake (which required a hike) on his birthday (which was sunday) and the baptism time conflicted with part of their church time, they didn't come--and didn't feel bad or apologize, just said "well, we can't do it at that time cuz our bishop said..."
Um, yeah, we had some frustrations over them and their bishop.
When I was a kid, my parents had a bishop who said no beards. Then if someone insisted on having a beard, he wouldn't give them a calling OR a temple recommend (because obviously they weren't sustaining their local leader). How bad is that!
We actually have been having a thread about this teaching doctrine vs spouting opinion over on NaturalLDSLiving.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
Basically when we started moving out away from the cities we set ourselves up for having to use cars to get anywhere. We don't have walking societies. We have to drive to work, the grocery store, to buy clothes. They didn't build suburbia to sustain itself. I mean that's the very reason we have stayed in the city. We want to be as close to dh's work as possible. If that means we live in an apartment in the city, then so be it. We want to save up to buy a house, but we want to still be close to work and play. We want to live in an area where they have things close enough to walk to.
This is something I love about our teeny tiny little town...and something we'll be looking for in a future home(town) too. I never realized how much I liked it because I never had it before, but walking everwhere is GREAT!:::

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

User Tag List