LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 628 Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay for Quinn! So happy to hear that!
I haven't signed on anywhere for like 2 weeks. I've been way too tired with this pregnancy. But, I'm starting to feel better. Although, with my subchorionic bleed I was diagnosed with, I have to take an easy anyways, so I might go back to just hanging out on the couch with a book (or tv) than sitting at my uncomfortable computer chair! I missed the drama, and am now completely curious! Oh well, ultimately, I like any place better without any drama.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 628 Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Hooray for Quinn and family!

Kelly, I hope everything works out ok!

:::
#363 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
jumping in to say hi, Ive been around the lds threads here and there but for some reason it never really stuck for me. Im 30yo mama to 4, one more coming in Nov. I live in Wa state. Recently called to be Primary Sec. Dh is in scouts and teacher in Quorum. I have studied midwifery and decided to put it on hold back in March, that was a hard choice but my kids love having me home all the time and I know it is right for us at this time. It's nice to be here.
#364 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Hey. Just wanted to say I finally got enough posts to read this forum. I kind of shied away from MDC because it's so big. It was easier to just be on small forums.

Anyway, those of you who recognize me (Alisa, Joy, Shannon, etc)

And I look forward to meeting everyone else!

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#365 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Sa-weet! I know you too, TopHat. I'm the weird girl at the Freedom Festival who gave you her # on a napkin - Kris.

I actually had no idea there were other forums on here - once I hit 50 posts I was scrolling down and went "what the HECK?! Did they add more forums while I was off? What IS this?"

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#366 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Jumping in to say hi. I've been a part of this thread before but not in a long time. I'm just getting more active on MDC.

Anyway, my husband and I are both converts to the church, we've been members for about two years now.
#367 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tophat :

Welcome newbies! This forum is a little slow because there's no drama but if you need support with something, we're here for you!
#368 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Sa-weet! I know you too, TopHat. I'm the weird girl at the Freedom Festival who gave you her # on a napkin - Kris.

I actually had no idea there were other forums on here - once I hit 50 posts I was scrolling down and went "what the HECK?! Did they add more forums while I was off? What IS this?"
I do remember you!

And I only knew about these other forums b/c I knew people IRL who post on them and I didn't have access yet.

#369 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

My pumpkin plant is about 8 feet wide and spreading in 4 directions. Hurray! Also, I harvested y first broccoli. Yum!
#370 of 628 Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Well since this is a support thread...

How do you guys go to church and sit through all 3 hours? I don't think I've been through all 3 hours of church for 2 years. I have such a hard time getting up and going - we have the morning block, and Toby gets freakishly angry because that's his nap time... so we haven't really been going.

And because we don't go, I'm not reading my scriptures, I'm not praying, and generally I feel like a bum. I am depressed and I hate it. How is my kid going to grow up strong in the gospel if I'm not even strong?

I want to receive my endowment on my birthday in November, but laziness seems to be my way of life these days

Whine.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#371 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
How do you guys go to church and sit through all 3 hours?
Well, I know when people have a hard time going to all 3 hours- it's usually an issue with the last 2: Sunday School and RS/EQ. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Sunday School. It's nice and important, but- you know. RS on the other hand, I have a strong testimony of and that's what gets me through Sunday School- knowing that RS is coming.

However, I'll admit that RS is more difficult with my DD. At least in Sunday School I have McKay to help me.

Quote:
we have the morning block, and Toby gets freakishly angry because that's his nap time... so we haven't really been going.
We have 11-2, which is on my lunch time which means I'm crankier and have less patience, and I think it rubs off on DD. I have found that she sleeps excellently in the wrap. She's even slept through all 3 hours straight- admittedly this was when she was 2 months old- not something that's happened lately, but she still sleeps fairly well in it. Perhaps that'll work. I just leave her in the wrap. Some of the older ladies at church as me if the circulation in her leg is cut off, but you know.

That probably doesn't help.

Ultimately, when I don't feel like going, I remind myself that it's a commandment and I need to go, no matter how cranky or tired I am. It's good for me. Chances are I'll be more apt to listen to the Spirit for guidance at church than at home- even if it's just a thought during a hymn and I'm zoning out all the rest of church. Also, I remind myself that it's important to physically follow through on what I believe.

Perhaps that helps? You can, of course, just ignore me. Good luck!

#372 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Banned

I just suck it up and GO. Even if I don't want to. I'm almost always glad I did. The first hour sucks, yeah, becuase I'm wrangling my kids the whole time, but then they go to nursery and primary and I get two blessed hours to sit and listen and participate in peace! I consider it a little break. It's harder for me now because my husband is in law enforcement and works on Sundays. But I still go.

As for daily scripture and all that, well, I'll admit I have been slacking. I need to be better about that.
#373 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 02:44 AM

I *love* RS, and I have a strong testimony of it - but I hate hate hate hate hate Sunday School. This is the reason I don't stay for RS, because you have to sit through SS first and I would almost rather die.

I'm thinking about sticking Toby in my wrap and walking the halls with him during SS from now on, so he falls asleep in time for RS. And then I don't have to sit through the class thinking "oh. my. gosh. it's hot and boring and I would rather be anywhere but here."

#374 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Banned

Why do you hate Sunday School? Have you tried both Gospel Principles and Gospel Doctrine?

And you don't *have* to go to any class if you don't want to. You could only show up for RS or simply wait in the hall reading scripture (or some other book, or magazine, or whatever) for an hour. Make your own rules! You don't have to be a Molly Mormon to be a good member.
#375 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 AM

I didn't like SS until I was a teacher. I taught Gospel Doctrine for two years. Now I have a better appreciation for it as the place to study the scriptures. I look at RS as the place to study gospel topics, but not necessarily the scriptures, because let's face it. How often are the comments someone's complete and total opinion, not doctrine? and that's okay, it's just a different sort of lesson in RS than SS. I like RS, just in a different way than SS.

Quinn has yet to go to church. Having a micropreemie changes things quite a bit. We will probably take him a couple times before RSV season hits, but the winter (which is abominably long here) will be an isolated one for him. DH and I may trade places now and then, and I'll teach his youth SS class, while he stays home, but mostly, it will be me staying home with Quinn. I haven't been released from my Primary music calling yet, but I have a rather permanent substitute. But I'm getting to the point where I want to just be "normal." I don't want DH to be a single dad with our older two, I don't want to avoid people, I don't want to worry about everyone who breathes on my baby, but that's how it is right now. Sorry, that probably doesn't help much. Just my story.
#376 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I think it gets hard to reactivate ourselves because we think it should be all or nothing. Christ taught that we do not have to run faster than we are able.

So, if we are completely off, we should pick one area and start small. Start with one scripture a day, move on to family prayer every night before bed, start with sacrament meeting and then add SS (or use that time to sit in the foyer with your child - children are not an "excuse," because they really do get hungry and need naps). Make Monday night Family Game NIght and then add a spiritual element after that's become a habit.

We aren't big fans of Gospel Doctrine hen NCD isn't teaching. NCD is an AWESOME teacher. He was teaching in our singles ward when I met him and he definitely made it worth going to class because he was animated and interesting.

I myself haven't been to Church in months but I've been suffering from a severe bout of depression and anxiety and everytime I sit in a large crowd I get nauseated and want to throw up. It's been a very funky summer. I myself need to start working on those baby steps. I even missd my sister-in-law's sealing ceremony because I was afraid I would have a panic attack and didn't feel right going if I hadn't been to my Church meetings.

#377 of 628 Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking about sticking Toby in my wrap and walking the halls with him during SS from now on, so he falls asleep in time for RS. And then I don't have to sit through the class thinking "oh. my. gosh. it's hot and boring and I would rather be anywhere but here."
I may or may not have been known to do this...a lot...

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#378 of 628 Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM

I need help planning an enrichment night, mummas.

The main idea is "Food Storage Iron Chef". The women are divided into teams, and each team has a table with basic food storage staples on it. Additionally, there is a "shopping table", where the women can choose up to 5things to compliment their food storage foods.

Each team has 1 hour to make something yummy.

Help me with the logistics.

Do they get a cookbook?
Do they get to bring their own cookbooks?
How are the teams chosen?
What are the judging criteria?

TIA!
#379 of 628 Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Welcome everyone! Hi tophat and krisis! Kris, I've been seriously depressed before and getting to church was often an impossible feat. Even now that I don't anymore taking dd1 during her nap time was so hard! I also walked her in a carrier so she would sleep and I could get something out of church.

englishrose, I would do no cookbooks and maybe pull names for the teams out of a hat or some other fun random way. Not sure about the judging, maybe some adults and some children to make it more interesting.

:::
#380 of 628 Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 PM

EnglishRose,
If the point is to make it be like Iron Chef, then I would follow the same rules No cookbooks, and judge based on taste and originality. I wouldn't grade them on plating, I dunno, do you think it'd be too intimidating to have no cookbooks? I mean, to me that's no big deal, but I guess for a lot of people it would be...maybe you could say that each woman is allowed to bring one cookbook to use as a reference, but it's not legal to actually make a recipe straight from the book.
What ingredients are you going to give them? The one downside of only having an hour is that many dry goods need time to prepare...for example, wheat needs to be ground or sprouted, beans should soak, bread has to rise... Maybe have a few of those things ready for them? As in, offer canned beans rather than dry, have some wheat already sprouted, etc. Also make sure you have a wide variety of pans available...I invented some sprouted wheat muffins this last weekend and they were pretty good.
Choosing teams randomly seems most fair, although maybe you should do something along the lines of pairing older women with younger ones, working moms with SAHMs, etc (in other words, pair ones who probably know more with ones who probably know less...) I know I'm a young sprout but I know more about cooking from scratch than almost anyone in any ward I've been in since I was married...of course, people in my wards always figured that out really fast.

Geeze, I wish I was in your ward, I wanna have that enrichment!!

#381 of 628 Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 PM

rose--you'll have to tell us how it goes, ok?!

#382 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:

How do you guys go to church and sit through all 3 hours? I don't think I've been through all 3 hours of church for 2 years. I have such a hard time getting up and going - we have the morning block, and Toby gets freakishly angry because that's his nap time... so we haven't really been going.

And because we don't go, I'm not reading my scriptures, I'm not praying, and generally I feel like a bum. I am depressed and I hate it. How is my kid going to grow up strong in the gospel if I'm not even strong?

I want to receive my endowment on my birthday in November, but laziness seems to be my way of life these days

Whine.
I'm just going to crash right in on this convo (most of you know me from elsewhere, anyway, I think)...

I have no DC and no excuse, but I definitely do go through periods of finding Sunday School, or any part of church, excruciating to sit through. I think you've already nailed part of it - it's an overall feeling/experience/situation in your life, not just the particular (non)interesting-ness of your teacher. And like a few others have said... sometimes, you just need to grit your teeth and go. Even if you space out the whole time. You never know when something will catch your attention. And ITA... if RS feels good, and is spiritually uplifting... GO. If you need to wander the halls/go to the car/sit in the mother's lounge during SS - well, start with that. Something is quite generally better than nothing.

As far as coming to enjoy SS... I think this also touches on your other issue of not having daily scripture study. I get so much more out of SS, and participate so much more, if I've read the chapter in advance. If I have things to say and thoughts to add to the discussion, I find it much more engaging.

And generally feeling like a bum... I've been there over and over again. It would shock some people who know me, but I have skipped church more than once because I just couldn't drag myself there. Don't give up... if you still care that you're not doing the things you mentioned... well, you're still on the right track!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and a (10/6/14)

PCOS
#383 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 AM

The teacher I work with was telling me that over the summer her bishop issued a challenge to the ward to eat only from your food storage for one month in order to (1) figure out what you had and what you needed, (2) to learn how to use it, (3) you learned how to work out/around food allergies or dietary needs (like diabetic diets) with your food storage and (4) just to see what it was like.

The rules were you could not go out to eat (i.e. fast food or restaurants) unless there were extenuating circumstances (like relatives visiting or July 4th and 24th parties (they did it in July)) and you had to use what was in your food storage ... no supplementing from the supermarket.

She said her family was fine with it until the end of week two ... then her sons started to rebel against the idea.

I think its a great idea, though a month seems a little extreme to me. Maybe two weeks would be better because then you still get the same experience, but its not so much of a drain on your food storage and so you don't have to replace as much.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#384 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Whine.
I'm so sorry you're having a tough time with attending!

Do you have a sling or carrier for Toby? I find that if I use a sling I can walk around the back of the Gospel Doctrine room and eventually Meghan will fall asleep. Most of the mamas (and some papas) are doing this every Sunday. We're the only family using a sling, but everyone with young toddlers and infants is walking trying to get their LOs to sleep.

For me attending meetings is not about whether or not I get anything out of it - it's about obedience and observing the Sabbath. I was commanded to keep the Sabbath and I do.

Is it possible to change your perspective and do it not for you but for Heavenly Father?
#385 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRose View Post
I need help planning an enrichment night, mummas.

The main idea is "Food Storage Iron Chef". The women are divided into teams, and each team has a table with basic food storage staples on it. Additionally, there is a "shopping table", where the women can choose up to 5things to compliment their food storage foods.

Each team has 1 hour to make something yummy.

Help me with the logistics.

Do they get a cookbook?
Do they get to bring their own cookbooks?
How are the teams chosen?
What are the judging criteria?

TIA!

This sound SO FUN!! I wish I were in your ward. Here we get greeting card making enrichment nights.

I'd NOT give the women cookbooks and make the teams a combination of ages.

I personally would judge based on nutritional value of the meals.
#386 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
...englishrose, I would do no cookbooks and maybe pull names for the teams out of a hat or some other fun random way. Not sure about the judging, maybe some adults and some children to make it more interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
EnglishRose,
If the point is to make it be like Iron Chef, then I would follow the same rules No cookbooks, and judge based on taste and originality. I wouldn't grade them on plating, I dunno, do you think it'd be too intimidating to have no cookbooks? I mean, to me that's no big deal, but I guess for a lot of people it would be...maybe you could say that each woman is allowed to bring one cookbook to use as a reference, but it's not legal to actually make a recipe straight from the book.
What ingredients are you going to give them? The one downside of only having an hour is that many dry goods need time to prepare...for example, wheat needs to be ground or sprouted, beans should soak, bread has to rise... Maybe have a few of those things ready for them? As in, offer canned beans rather than dry, have some wheat already sprouted, etc. Also make sure you have a wide variety of pans available...I invented some sprouted wheat muffins this last weekend and they were pretty good.
Choosing teams randomly seems most fair, although maybe you should do something along the lines of pairing older women with younger ones, working moms with SAHMs, etc (in other words, pair ones who probably know more with ones who probably know less...) I know I'm a young sprout but I know more about cooking from scratch than almost anyone in any ward I've been in since I was married...of course, people in my wards always figured that out really fast.

Geeze, I wish I was in your ward, I wanna have that enrichment!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
This sound SO FUN!! I wish I were in your ward. Here we get greeting card making enrichment nights.

The no cookbook thing worries me, because some (MANY) of the sisters in my ward really can't cook at all. (For instance, one sister asked at the last One Bite At A Time meeting how many frozen pancakes she should store for her family's 1-year supply...) I'm just worried cooking from scratch, and using food storage staples and doing it all without a cookbook might be too much, all at once, KWIM? I want this activity to encourage those sisters who either don't really *do* food storage or scratch cooking (or both) to get into it.....
#387 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
...Geeze, I wish I was in your ward, I wanna have that enrichment!!
Quote:
This sound SO FUN!! I wish I were in your ward. Here we get greeting card making enrichment nights....
I am in her ward. (I'm not the frozen pancake sister, though!)

Rosie, maybe have each sister sign in at the beginning of the meeting, and indicate her level of cooking expertise? Then pair experienced cooks with not so experienced ones?

Also, maybe allow each sister to bring 1 cookbook or her personal recipe box, but not an entire library, KWIM?

I sooooo know what I'm going to make.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#388 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I agree- that sounds so fun! But there are people like me who cannot cook without a cookbook. And since most people aren't professional chefs, I think having access to a small number of predetermined cookbooks might be appropriate.

I disagree with you here Kari on the judging-- nutritional value is great, but if the food doesn't look, smell and taste great, nobody's going want to eat it. I agree that food should be healthy, but it should be great tasting as well. Maybe have nutritional value as a five point score with taste being 10 points would be a good compromise.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#389 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I disagree with you here Kari on the judging-- nutritional value is great, but if the food doesn't look, smell and taste great, nobody's going want to eat it. I agree that food should be healthy, but it should be great tasting as well. Maybe have nutritional value as a five point score with taste being 10 points would be a good compromise.

Oh, taste is so important. I guess I'm thinking, though, of scenerios when our family would need to use food storage and want to make sure we're getting the proper nutrition so that came to mind first.

And it does sound like cookbooks are in order for these sisters. We tend to cook by "ear" around our house and often will just kind of fudge together meals and like getting surprised. I forget that not every family does this!
#390 of 628 Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Anyone here live in Salt Lake area? DH and I are in town overnight. We're gonna see the Joseph Smith movie tonight, then tour the Square tomorrow morning. Anyone wanna go to breakfast with us?

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page