LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I realize this example is miniscule in comparison, but when President Hinkley said only one set of earrings, that was a little hard for me--I'd been wanting/planning to get a second set that very autumn actually. My roommate had two and I thought it was so cute...but he said no, so I didn't.
That's funny. I did the same thing. I was planning to go out within about a week and get a second pair, and that very week, we heard the edict on no more than one pair. I wasn't all that sad about it. It was sort of an I'm-on-my-own-now-making-my-own-decisions thing anyway.

One of these days I'll take the plunge and go through my list of topics I just can't think about anymore because they drive me nuts, and actually pray for peace on those topics. I've been avoiding it, because it actually takes more effort, I think. That must mean it's a good thing to do, if it takes a lot of effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

About the ERA - the explanation given was that it didn't provide for exceptions the Church thought was important - the specific example given was no military draft for mothers. That's why the Church hasn't been against equal pay in recent years, which should finally pass once a Democrat is in the White House. If you do a search on LDS.org you can read lots of references about it. The Church's stance on the ERA is not as repressive as it seems on the surface.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Joy - I forgot to say congratulations for your BIL and his baptism. I'm certain that really uplifted your family.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM

I don't want to interrupt the flow of discussion, but want to ask for your prayers for my extended family.

Many of you already know that last Wednesday my DH was ordained and now holds the Melchizedek Priesthood. ( I hope I got all my terminology correct )

He's blessing Meghan (our 5 1/2 month old babe) during Sacrament Meeting this Sunday. We've invited all of our extended family and ask for your prayers that the Holy Ghost soften their hearts so they might attend.

TIA!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
I don't want to interrupt the flow of discussion, but want to ask for your prayers for my extended family.

Many of you already know that last Wednesday my DH was ordained and now holds the Melchizedek Priesthood. ( I hope I got all my terminology correct )

He's blessing Meghan (our 5 1/2 month old babe) during Sacrament Meeting this Sunday. We've invited all of our extended family and as for your prayers that the Holy Ghost soften their hearts so they might attend.

TIA!

I will pray for you guys!

I think that part of what makes it hard when these requests come down to the local letter is attitude. For example, whenever you hear a member of the twelve or the prophet speak out against homosexuality, it is always accompanied by the admonition that this in no way condones or encourages us to behave in hateful or suspicious ways against those who engage in homosexual practice. However, when these things water down to the local level, the requests or commandments of the church are often passed along and justified with hateful, homophobic remarks. At least that has been my experience.

Talula - I probably wouldn't take the word of an ex member just for the simple fact that they are ex for a reason and often it is because they either have an ax to grind or they didn't completely understand the doctrine.

I wanted to address the question or comment about JS and Martin Harris. You are correct that Joseph made a mistake in giving the manuscript to Martin Harris. However, he did not give him the manuscript until the Lord told him he was cleared to do so. Yes, the Lord did it to teach Joseph Smith an important lesson about listening the first time and not continuing on bull headed paths, but He did give the go ahead. And, he had a plan to keep the scriptures whole because He (God) knew that they would be lost.

, , , and
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post

He's blessing Meghan (our 5 1/2 month old babe) during Sacrament Meeting this Sunday. We've invited all of our extended family and as for your prayers that the Holy Ghost soften their hearts so they might attend.

TIA!
How wonderful! I hope and pray that the day won't be marred by anything :

:::
Old 09-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the ERA Alisa, that's very helpful. I thought it was a little odd, given that church-controlled Utah territory gave the vote to women before the USA did!!!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM

We had regional conference this weekend and it was awesome. I went to the adult session which I haven't been able to do for a long time. On Sunday President Monson's daughter spoke. It was a great talk about the Real Thing versus what Satan tries to tempt us with. I especially liked one of her examples, making real rolls from scratch instead of the "counterfeit"

KariM. how did everything go yesterday?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post

KariM. how did everything go yesterday?
It went very well and was extremely moving for me - lots of tears.

Paul (and I) decided to bless both our babe and our DD1 (who is 4 y/o).

The only downside was that we sent out 90 invitations to family and friends and no one came (other than our ward family).

My Grandmother is really angered/disappointed about our conversion and is throwing a fit. So even my Uncle who IS a member of the Church and was traveling in our neck of the woods didn't come because he didn't want to further anger her. :
Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM

I'm glad it was such a wonderful day! That's so exciting. And sorry about your extended family.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Kari, I'm sorry for the mixed experience you had. How uplifting it must have been to have that reinforcement by the Spirit, though!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Hi,

I know I'm not a regular poster here, because I have some issues with (sort of) inactivity. But I'd like to ask you ladies for your prayers. I'm having a biopsy of my left breast tomorrow. My mother died of breast cancer, so this is especially scary for me.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Of course we will! Please let us know how it goes.

Also - you don't have to be active to post here!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Of course we will! Please let us know how it goes.

Also - you don't have to be active to post here!
Yes! I'll pray for you!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
Hi,

I know I'm not a regular poster here, because I have some issues with (sort of) inactivity. But I'd like to ask you ladies for your prayers. I'm having a biopsy of my left breast tomorrow. My mother died of breast cancer, so this is especially scary for me.
I will pray too!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Will do Kate. Hoping for the best.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 AM

I hope that this is the right LDS thread for this, but my son's step mom just asked me to give her some info on our church. She is catholic and has been confused at some of the wording our son uses in prayers (heavenly father, etc) and our son has been getting frustrated when she tries to pray her was with him. I don't want to overload/intimidate her, but she would really like to know the differences. Our relationship is somewhat strained, but we are friendly because we both love our son (I say our because he considers both sets of parents "real" parents)

Excuse my slow reply, pregnancy nausea is really doing me in.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_stars View Post
I hope that this is the right LDS thread for this, but my son's step mom just asked me to give her some info on our church. She is catholic and has been confused at some of the wording our son uses in prayers (heavenly father, etc) and our son has been getting frustrated when she tries to pray her was with him. I don't want to overload/intimidate her, but she would really like to know the differences. Our relationship is somewhat strained, but we are friendly because we both love our son (I say our because he considers both sets of parents "real" parents)

Excuse my slow reply, pregnancy nausea is really doing me in.
Mormon.org is a really good place to start. Maybe THIS will help, and you can go from there based on the topics on the left.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Mormon.org is a really good place to start. Maybe THIS will help, and you can go from there based on the topics on the left.
Thank you NCD, I will try to put something together with that info :
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 PM

Somehow my subscription was lost. I thought "geez, these people are quiet"

So I'm trying to not feel guilty but basically I can't get myself to be "happy" lately. I just basically want to sit at the computer and read. I was getting better, but I'm going back. I think its mostly because I still don't feel like I have any friends around me. I make the effort to plan playdates in my ward and those who I plan around don't show up. I keep sending out e-mails asking what people want to do and no one responds. I am getting exercise finally but winter is closing in on my and I always stop at that point. I have great intentions of reading my scriptures, actually doing things with my 4 year old who is home without his older brother. I really can't figure out what to do.

With my 4 year old, should I just buy a curriculum and do that? I am not a creative person and have a hard time coming up with my own thing. I've been thinking if I can come up with a preschool sort of thing for him I can add scripture study to it. It doesn't help that a married someone who also isn't very good at those basic things. We are slackers together.

Anyway, any help or support would be great. Even if you know of inexpesive (cheap) curriculums or how to just make myself do it (my mom wasn't good at spending time with us, so I was never really taught this kind of stuff).
Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Hi Marly,

If you're just looking for a preschool type curriculum, www.letteroftheweek.com is one that I have liked. I'm sort of the same way -- I need a curriculum all laid out for me, since if I have to make it myself, it will just never get done. I have lots of great ideas, but just lack the oomph to make it happen. So we buy a curriculum each year, reasoning that it is cheaper than private school, and we can reuse it with each child.

For preschool, though, I'd probably just do Letter of the Week, and maybe books from the library. I'd make one or two days a week be your library day (maybe coordinate it with a library storytime). You can find lots of good book lists. I use Sonlight curriculum, and you can see their book lists on their website. So if you just wanted to take their suggestions (or any other list's suggestions) and read some of those each week for awhile, I'm sure that would be fun.

I'm not too great with arts/crafts type suggestions, since my son hates that kind of stuff, but I bet other people might have ideas. Oh, and we totally add scripture study to our school. This year we're doing the Articles of Faith. I got all the songs together on a cd, and we've spent about 2-3 weeks on each one so far (wer're on #2). Every day we recite, then listen to the song, then sing the song. He has 1 and 2 memorized now. We also read scripture stories from the Distribution Center's scripture storybooks. We've done the New Testament twice, the Book of Mormon, and are just starting on the D&C (we started this probably 1.5-2 years ago). I figure we'll rotate through them a few times, and then start reading from the scriptures themselves in a couple of years.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
So I'm trying to not feel guilty but basically I can't get myself to be "happy" lately. I just basically want to sit at the computer and read. I was getting better, but I'm going back. I think its mostly because I still don't feel like I have any friends around me. ... I really can't figure out what to do.
No advice other than to send and say that Alisa and I go through the same thing, though the pills do help. :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Marly, have you not been able to connect with the Natural LDS playgroup up in Salt Lake? I've heard it's pretty good. If you pm Brightonwoman, I think she has a link for them.

As for curriculum, I'm fond of Oakmeadow, which I'll be buying once I'm done with Montessori activities for Connor.

I'm sorry you aren't connecting with your ward. I haven't connected with mine, either.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 AM

I'm on the naturalmotheringutah group but its not a salt lake playgroup. We had a few of us who live in salt lake get together but we haven't gotten together since before I got pregnant. There's actually someone new on there who thought it was a salt lake playgroup We try but with gas prices and the fact that we're just plain lazy and life happened, it just got pushed to the side There's also the babywearing group I'm on but I haven't gone to many of those either since Connor threw up. Yea, that was fun. Mostly for me its been the gas though.

I feel like I want to keep trying with my ward, but it gets hard because a lot of the people I have connected with are moving (since we live in apartments, and half the ward is an old neighborhood) They just don't seem to know how to deal with young moms. Next year though we will be moving to the west side, so that will hopefully help because there are more kids over there.

Thanks for the websites. I will start looking into them. I always have good intentions but don't get very far with them. Have any of you heard of the Core Knowledge series? The titles are What your (insert grade) needs to know. Its really kind of fun. I have sat down one day to do it though. I need to figure out how to make a schedule for myself. I went and bought a white board to do it and its sitting under the desk not being used.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 AM

My friend uses the Core Knowledge series to homeschool her 7 kids. She uses the library a lot, she says. She goes through the book and finds library books to go with each topic, then puts them on reserve so she'll have them when she needs them. I'm pretty sure she's way more organized than I am, though. I did get a couple of those books fo supplemental ideas, and have liked the outline that they provide.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Marlygf

Hi, I'm totally new here (just got my 50 posts) but I could have written your posts word for word. We live in very small rural town and it's a big effort for me to get out and do anything with other people. With ward activities I usually feel like a weirdo most of the time. But then I get lazy and depressed if I don't have things going on. And winter is a killer.

Anyway, I just recently made a schedule (a pretty loose one bc I am horribly unstructured) for activities that I want to do with my 3 1/2 yr old dd. It has made a really big difference for me and for her. And she is so excited to have my undivided attention for at least 2 hours during the day for "preschool". As I said I'm not good with structure so I just try to let the learning "happen". DD is constantly asking questions so it works for us. Today, we went outside and looked at spiderwebs, counted apples as we picked them up, talked about the pits in plums, looked at the roots of some plants in our garden, etc,etc,.

We also have time later in the day specifically set aside for music and reading. It helps to have something to look forward to for both of us.

Mama to three active little girls S (3/05) and R (4/08) and A (07/10)
Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

They use Core Knowledge at the charter school where NCD teaches. I know it's really great for the middle schoolers he works with. He'll probably chime in and tell you more.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

OT - I love this sentiment. I've been thinking about this very topic lately.

Quote:
Sharing Our Food Supply
April 1976, Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone also talked
about sharing our food supply with our neighbors.

I should like to address a few remarks to those who ask,
"Do I share with my neighbors who have not followed the
counsel? And what about the nonmembers who do not have
a year's supply? Do we have to share with them?" No, we
don't have to share-we get to share! Let us not be concerned
about silly thoughts of whether we would share or not. Of
course we would share! What would Jesus do? I could not
possibly eat food and see my neighbors starving. And if you
starve to death after sharing, "greater love hath no man than
this ." (John 15:13.)

Now what about those who would plunder and break in and
take that which we have stored for our families' needs? Don't
give this one more idle thought. There is a God in heaven whom
we have obeyed. Do you suppose he would abandon those
who have kept his commandments? He said, "If ye are prepared,
ye need not fear." (D&C 38:30.) Prepare, O men of Zion , and
fear not. Let Zion put on her beautiful garments. Let us put on
the full armor of God. Let us be pure in heart, love mercy, be
just, and stand in holy places. Commit to have a year's supply
of food by April 1977.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
marly. I have times when I feel that way, too. I know this is the cheesy, overused answer, but prayer and scripture study help me.

As for curriculum, I like using the primary manuals. When I has one little one I was working with, I used the nursery manual and followed along with the lesson they were doing that week. There are pictures and cutouts that come along with the manual if you buy it, or you can look up the lessons online. You can add in something like a letter of the week if you like fairly easily.

www.amblesideonline.com has a free curriculum, with a book list for preschool. The majority of their recommended books are available free to print online. They also have, IIRC, weekly artists and composers.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
Somehow my subscription was lost. I thought "geez, these people are quiet"

So I'm trying to not feel guilty but basically I can't get myself to be "happy" lately. I just basically want to sit at the computer and read. I was getting better, but I'm going back. I think its mostly because I still don't feel like I have any friends around me. I make the effort to plan playdates in my ward and those who I plan around don't show up. I keep sending out e-mails asking what people want to do and no one responds. I am getting exercise finally but winter is closing in on my and I always stop at that point. I have great intentions of reading my scriptures, actually doing things with my 4 year old who is home without his older brother. I really can't figure out what to do.

With my 4 year old, should I just buy a curriculum and do that? I am not a creative person and have a hard time coming up with my own thing. I've been thinking if I can come up with a preschool sort of thing for him I can add scripture study to it. It doesn't help that a married someone who also isn't very good at those basic things. We are slackers together.

Anyway, any help or support would be great. Even if you know of inexpesive (cheap) curriculums or how to just make myself do it (my mom wasn't good at spending time with us, so I was never really taught this kind of stuff).
What I did with my DD1 was just pick up a bunch of educational games (we have number games, basic addition, letter games, etc) and we also read and do art projects together. It's a lot of play and reading stories. : I took a look at what the educational outcomes are of our public school kindergarten programs and decided to try and "teach" to those outcomes. I have to say, though, that we're unschoolers so our days will probably not look very educational.

It *is* working, though. By 2 she knew all the letters of the alphabet, could identify them by name and tell me a word that started with the letter's sound. By three she was counting up to 20. She's now doing basic addition and we're working on phonics. All of this was just through play.

User Tag List