LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 21 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#601 of 628 Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was baptized yesterday and will receive the Holy Ghost today at church. I've read this thread and will most likely lurk for a bit.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#602 of 628 Old 10-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Congratulations! Welcome aboard! :
#603 of 628 Old 10-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Welcome Ambrose! I'm from MN too and moved to Utah for school. Now dh is in school so we're here for awhile longer at least.

:::
#604 of 628 Old 10-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I was baptized yesterday and will receive the Holy Ghost today at church. I've read this thread and will most likely lurk for a bit.

Congratulations Ambrose and welcome!

Today was the first Sunday in a long while that we have made it to Sacrament meeting. I was very emotional as I took the Sacrament. :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#605 of 628 Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Welcome Ambrose!
It's always nice to meet someone new.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#606 of 628 Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 AM

Congrats Ambrose!
We had stake conference today and skipped it. I'm coming down with something and so is dd, and the thought of hard plastic chairs for over 2 hours almost made me cry.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#607 of 628 Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 PM

Congratulations Ambrose!

, , , and
#608 of 628 Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Congratulations Ambrose! :

We had stake conference this last Sunday. I hate trying to keep 3 kids quiet for 2 whole hours, and now that it is streamed from salt lake it is even more hard for some reason. Oh well, what I was able to heard of it was good.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#609 of 628 Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
Congratulations Ambrose!
Congratulations, Ambrose!

banana.gif

#610 of 628 Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM

Marlygf

Hi, I'm totally new here (just got my 50 posts) but I could have written your posts word for word.
#611 of 628 Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM

loveandmore--welcome to the bonus forums!

and lookie, I just got myself a senior title! heehee!

#612 of 628 Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post

Congrats! I'm a relatively new member, too. Baptised 03/11/08 and confirmed 03/16/08.
#613 of 628 Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Jenni -
I haven't been to MDC in several weeks (I just get the email updates for this thread), but I came over just to see your Senior Title, hee hee!

My sister is taking out her endowments today. I look forward to a good experience and reminder of my own covenants today. I guess that means maybe I should be reading scriptures or something and not on MDC?!
#614 of 628 Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Jenni -
I haven't been to MDC in several weeks (I just get the email updates for this thread), but I came over just to see your Senior Title, hee hee!

I actually made a whole thread in TAO wehre I listed some stuff about myself and asked for suggestions...they said they liked that I was 2nd generation crunchy, but also thought my username sounded something like a superhero...so I kinda went with that.

#615 of 628 Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM

If you've got a second, come put in your two cents about babywearing myths (I'm collecting info for a blog post)
thanks!

#616 of 628 Old 11-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Can I ask for some prayers? I am having such a hard time lately with HG and thinking about leaving an abusive marriage. I went to the bishop and asked for help and well... he wasn't much help at all. The relief society offers to help me but they never follow through and I just feel really helpless I have been inactive for a few months here and there since I've been in my ward because of the challenges of getting myself and my kids to church and staying there with behavior issues and I feel like my ward is just too busy for my messed up life.
#617 of 628 Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 PM

:

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#618 of 628 Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 AM

Sending lots of hugs to you and saying lots of prayers! Is there someone who can give you a priesthood blessing?

:::
#619 of 628 Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Sending lots of hugs to you and saying lots of prayers! Is there someone who can give you a priesthood blessing?
I have home teachers, but they come when my husband is home and I really don't want that confrontation of asking for a blessing for that when he is right there.

I hear about wards that rally around members who are in trouble and it makes me sad that ours doesn't. I don't know who much more direct I could have been with the bishop, but his "solution" wasn't even close to helpful and the fact that I worked up courage for a long time to go talk to him and endured literally 4 hours of interrogation after my appointment (from my husband re what all I told him) is really disheartening to me
#620 of 628 Old 11-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_stars View Post
I have home teachers, but they come when my husband is home and I really don't want that confrontation of asking for a blessing for that when he is right there.

I don't know who much more direct I could have been with the bishop, but his "solution" wasn't even close to helpful and the fact that I worked up courage for a long time to go talk to him and endured literally 4 hours of interrogation after my appointment (from my husband re what all I told him) is really disheartening to me
Can you describe to your bishop what you endured after talking to him? Is there another ward where you could ask that bishop for a blessing? There is a hotline the bishop is supposed to call with guidelines, etc. in this sort of situation. I don't have a lot of answers, but we can keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Does your husband go to church? Can you ask the EQ pres or missionaries or someone to give you a blessing AT CHURCH? Usually they can take you into a room privately. Could you ask someone in RS to help with your littles at the church during the blessing?
#621 of 628 Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_stars View Post

I hear about wards that rally around members who are in trouble and it makes me sad that ours doesn't. I don't know who much more direct I could have been with the bishop, but his "solution" wasn't even close to helpful and the fact that I worked up courage for a long time to go talk to him and endured literally 4 hours of interrogation after my appointment (from my husband re what all I told him) is really disheartening to me
I am so sorry you're not getting the support you need. I second what others have said though, sometimes you have to be proactive and really direct about getting your needs met. Specifically say something like, "This marriage is abusive he is doing x to me, and I cannot stay in it because I fear for my safety and that of my children." Explain about how he is controlling and interrogating you for four hours after your appointment. Go over his head. See your stake president. Go to another bishop. Call anyone and everyone you can think of and explain in detail what's going on.

Lastly, there is a surviving abuse forum here on Mothering.com that can give you lots of resources to help you leave. If you can't get in let me know and I will dig up some info for you and email it to you.
#622 of 628 Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 PM

jumping back in here on MDC : just wanted to echo above poster in re: to calling others .. call HT .. call SP .. not to be too nosey but where do you live .. if in cali anywhere LMK .. i will be praying for you momma

oh and i am jenn , wife to dan and momma to isaac and eli .. we live in CA , both grew up in LDS families .. i have a strong impression latelty that I need to get my testimony stronger .. we go to church every week but i need to strengthen my testimony.
#623 of 628 Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 AM

Do you get the Ensign? My sister has said that reading it cover to cover each month has strengthened her testimony. I really need to take her advice :

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#624 of 628 Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Last night I read this article by an LDS police officer in L.A. Throughout this election time, I've been thankful I'm no longer a California resident. That's not the right attitude to have, especially considering this battle is very likely to come to New York next, but that's how I've felt. I grew up in L.A. and I've listened to my parents' descriptions of what things are like there, and what it was like to be involved in the campaign. For some reason, it didn't really hit home until I read this article. The pictures were as disturbing as the content, if not more. That temple was a symbol for me growing up. I first did baptisms for the dead there. One by one, my older siblings got married there. I received my endowment there, and finally, DH and I were married there too. I couldn't sleep last night, thinking back to our wedding day and trying to imagine if we would have postponed it had this been going on at the time. How do you smile for pictures with an angry mob watching you, many of them coveting the very thing you are doing and willing to go to great lengths to ruin the day for you at the very least, if not cause you bodily harm? And when has it been okay for worship to be halted due to harassment and intimidation? How does that make things right in the eyes of the protesters? And I know they aren't necessarily representative of everyone who voted no on prop 8, and there are many on both sides of the issue who are appalled at their behavior. But the fact remains, they succeeded in closing the temple for awhile. Similar things happened at the Oakland temple, and DH said the ward he grew up in in the bay area had protesters at their church last Sunday. I am tempted to say it's evidence of just how divisive an issue this is, that this will probably separate some wheat from some tares, but why haven't there been riots in Florida, which passed a more stringent version of Prop 8? And it seems our church is the easiest target of all the churches who worked on this issue. I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, but I no longer say I'm glad the elections are over and we don't have to hear about it anymore. I fear this is just the beginning.
#625 of 628 Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Why does the Church get a lot of persecution? Well, simply put, the Church is true and so Satan's going to try to work hard to thwart things. It is frustrating, especially when a lot of other churches and organizations were also a part of the ProtectMarriage Coalition.

DH and I discussed the current news and demonstrations the other day. We've decided not to continue reading about and looking at pictures of the demonstrations- they don't bring the Spirit in our home. I've heard that missionaries are instructed not to read anti-Mormon pamphlets and propaganda for the same reasons. It is disturbing and makes me feel sick and I know that's not how God wants me to feel.

But if you'd like to hear some good news, a couple of Catholic Dioceses have made comments in favor of the Church: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/...gainst-mormons

I was thinking the other day and I really feel this is why we need to protect our homes as places of refuge. Things are going to get turbulent as the world gets older and we need our homes to be sanctuaries where we can find peace.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#626 of 628 Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM

It's probably a good idea to filter our news. There is a lot of junk out there that would only serve to discourage. I guess I still feel a tie to the place I first called home, and seeing the unrest there is very unsettling.

I did see that the Catholic church has come out in support of our church though, and I'm glad for that. Maybe they need to be louder though, because it sure seems like a lot of people aren't getting the message. Then again, they probably don't want to get the message. They've made up their minds and nothing will change that.

Okay, enough depression.
#627 of 628 Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 PM

Are there any St. George ladies on this thread? My cousin's baby was born at 27 weeks and only lived a couple of days. They will need something to bury the baby in. Does anyone know of a store in St. George that sells nice white doll dresses? Or other dresses for that tiny of a baby?

Also, do you know of anyone who has a business doing plaster hand and foot molds? I know we can do them ourselves, but we only have one chance to get it right. When I did them on my kids, they weren't perfect.
#628 of 628 Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM

I'm so sorry for their loss. That hits pretty close to home for me.
I don't know about the local businesses, but I have a foot and hand plaster cast for Quinn when he was a few days old that one of the NICU nurses made. She did it for all the babies she cared for and it was well done. Maybe a nurse there also has experience with that.
They'll be in my prayers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page