LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 628 Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It may also just be a test of the emergency God-cast system, to make sure I'm listening....

Have any of you seen this scripture challenge in honor of President Hinckley?

http://www.hinckleychallenge.com/
#122 of 628 Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Yes, my sister and nephew are both doing the Hinkley challenge. I'm not participating because I started reading the Book of Mormon in January and I didn't want to start over!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#123 of 628 Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 AM

That's a great challenge. I need to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover!

Here's a Question:

How old were you when you first read the Book of Mormon cover to cover and what blessing, realizations or testimonies did you gain from it?
#124 of 628 Old 02-23-2008, 01:42 AM

Alisa, I'm pretty sure this is the one I was thinking of. It is very chomprehensive. http://www.equipped.org/earthqk.htm

#125 of 628 Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
How old were you when you first read the Book of Mormon cover to cover and what blessing, realizations or testimonies did you gain from it?
I first read it when I got my very first leather set of scriptures when I was baptised at eight. I didn't understand most of it, and I noticed that a lot of people marked their scriptures, so I would take a colored pencil to mine and just color in random pages.

I read through it several times after that but I don't think I really grasped it's spiritual significance until after my own ten year apostasy when I came back to the church at 21 years old. That was the first time I read through it with the specific mission of 1, learning who God really was and 2, learning how to receive forgiveness and become a new person.That was the first time I desperately NEEDED to know what was in that book.
#126 of 628 Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Alisa, I'm pretty sure this is the one I was thinking of. It is very chomprehensive. http://www.equipped.org/earthqk.htm
Excellent! Thank you!
#127 of 628 Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

PS - Can any of you recommend a thorough but compact first aid guide to include in my emergency kit?
#128 of 628 Old 02-23-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
Here's a Question:

I think I was around 11, maybe 12, when I first read it all the way through. I just decided to start reading it, and it was summer vacation and I was completely bored otherwise, anyway. I ended up devouring it in less than a month. I honestly can't recall, however, what I felt on a spiritual level when I read the Book of Mormon that year. My memories from before my teens are pretty vague, generally. But I do remember that I really enjoyed reading it, at very least, and was very struck by the stories and "heroes".

It has really been a long time since I've managed to read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover. I always get a good start, and then something happens and I don't quite finish. I should really set a goal to do my own personal reading time with the BoM.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#129 of 628 Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 AM

We were going to use our tax return for food storage, but then my dh's car died. So we are getting a new car instead. I guess I'm just thankful it died BEFORE we spent our tax return money! At least there is still enough left over to pay off our debt we racked up last summer to pay for the baby and all of my other pregnancy craziness.

Can those of you with special dietary needs who eat mostly fresh handle dried, canned or pickled varieties of the stuff you CAN eat? We make and use a lot of dried fruit/fruit leather. We also froze a lot of fruit. I know it isn't as reliable as canned or dried, but it is easy and so much more fresh! It gets us through times when we can't afford to buy fresh anyway! I've been devouring our frozen salsa lately.

I can't remember when I first read the book of mormon. I don't seem to have a lot of "BIG" spiritual experiences or impressions. My testimony just grows in baby steps, and when I get spiritual impressions or promptings, I guess I just absorb them into who I am.

I've been making more of an effort to have gospel themed discussions with my kids, and it has been making a big difference to me in how I feel about myself and my relationship with them (which ultimately means how every hour of every day goes). Most of them are just from the Friend, but I've taken the opportunity to share something with them that I learned from my own scripture study each day. It is really amazing how much importance they place on things that are important to me. Today we were doing an art project, and they asked if I wanted to do one. I said, "I'd love to do one, but I'll probably just end up helping everyone else with theirs." It was cute how helpful they all suddenly became because they wanted me to be able to do my own.
#130 of 628 Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Have a wonderful Sabbath, ladies! I've made it a goal not to go online on Sundays and give my brain a break.
#131 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

My uncle went to his favorite chocolate store in Salt Lake City last Saturday, Cummings Chocolates, and Thomas S Monson was the person in front of him. I asked him if he was a milk chocolate or dark chocolate man, but he didn't ask. I would have!
#132 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
My uncle went to his favorite chocolate store in Salt Lake City last Saturday, Cummings Chocolates, and Thomas S Monson was the person in front of him. I asked him if he was a milk chocolate or dark chocolate man, but he didn't ask. I would have!
How fun.
#133 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM

I bet he was buying it for someone else.

january, I was 15 when I first read the BoM cover to cover on my own. It was prompted by the young women program that year, Experiment upon the word. I read it quickly and really enjoyed it-I've read it several times again since then. I pretty much just start over when I finish! I get so much more out of it each time. I've rotated with the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price once in there, and have a goal to read the whole bible cover to cover--that is what is daunting to me. I've probably read it all from seminary, institute, cross-referencing, etc. but never cover to cover like the BoM.
It's a lot harder for me because of the translation questions, I guess.
#134 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM

I don't remember when I first read the whole BoM cover to cover. I know we read it as a family, but I don't think I read it independently until I was a married adult! I have read it several times now, and am currently reading it in fact. I have not read the entire D&C, but I've read all the rest of the standard works. With the Old Testiment, I made a goal to read it the year we studied it in Sunday School. I discovered that you only need to read something like 3.25 pages per day to finish by the end of the year. So I read 4 pages a day to give myself some wiggle room, just in case I had some bad days. Thankfully I did that, because I had a baby that year, and I got behind! I was able to finish it plus read the Pearl of Great Price. After that, I read the New Testment twice in a year. From now on, my goal is to always read the work that is being studied in Sunday School. I am also considering reading other translations of the Bible. Ones that have been translated using the Dead Sea Scrolls. I am very interested in that. Anyone else read translations other than the KJV?

#135 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM

I read the whole BOM before I got baptized at 17 and then several times since then. I haven't read much of other translations of the bible except the Joseph Smith Version. I did read a little of the translation the Episcopal Church used when I was growing up, but don't remember alot about it.

Here's another topic: How do you ladies fast when pregnant/nursing etc? I haven't fasted without food for years now, but I've heard of giving up other things. I think giving up the internet at least 1 Sunday a month would probably be really good for me

:::
#136 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Here's another topic: How do you ladies fast when pregnant/nursing etc? I haven't fasted without food for years now, but I've heard of giving up other things. I think giving up the internet at least 1 Sunday a month would probably be really good for me
I don't! I tell dh that I'll always be pregnant or nursing so I don't have to fast b/c I love food too much. OK, joking aside, I never thought of fasting on something else. That's a great idea!
#137 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
How do you ladies fast when pregnant/nursing etc? I haven't fasted without food for years now, but I've heard of giving up other things. I think giving up the internet at least 1 Sunday a month would probably be really good for me
Certain health conditions (pregnancy, nursing, diabetes, etc) don't allow full fasting. I don't fast at all when pg, or in the early months of nursing. Now that ds is a year old, I am abstaining from food for a few hours (not a full 24), but I still drink a lot.
I think more than anything, it's about the attitude. I do try to still approach it with prayer and humility etc...doing everything *except* the actual food-skipping, kwim?
I had not thought of giving up other things. That might be really good.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#138 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM

My family read the BOM through many times through my childhood...I didn't really start reading on my own until high school when I was in seminary. I didn't actually read the whole BOM on my own then either--I already knew it so well from the family reading... I finally started plowing through on my own just a couple of years ago. It was sporadic and spread-out, but when President Hinckley made the challenge two years ago to finish by New Years, that's what I did...I only had about half the book to go in those 4 months, but I decided that, based on my track record, I just focus on trying to finish rather than starting over.
So, yeah, I was 24 before I finished it myself...but with my family I'd been through it many many many times before.

So here is a question then:
Assuming you knew something about the BOM (had read parts, heard stories, etc) prior to reading it on your own in it's entirety, what kinds of things struck you personally when you did read it yourself?
I read the book of Ether in one afternoon (trying to get done before New Years, ) I was impressed with the cycles of righteousness and wickedness, and how in Ether they are very compressed--it mirrors what we find in the whole BOM, but in compact form.
I also had a lot of stuff jump out at me about personal revelation--about how it's for everything, not just 'spiritual stuff' and how we should utilize prayer and revelation a LOT more than we do.

#139 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post

Ahh, I always knew I liked President Monson!

Actually, it's really exciting to me to see him assume the presidency...I think he was the first general authority that I knew by name, and the first that I enjoyed his talks in conference (starting when I was around 7 or 8). I always loved that he told stories. :-)
It's interesting how we feel attached to one GA or another, don't you think? And the reasons why we do? I know there have been a couple that I have always loved to listen to...I don't know why exactly, I just have. Now that I am old enough to perceive that one may be a better speaker than another, or address issues more relevent/helpful to me, I have different favorites, but I always get excited to hear from my 'old favorites' just because I'm sentimental like that I guess.
Not that this is related, but I LOVE knowing abuot the background of the different apostles. I love that they are from all different backgrounds--farm boy, lawyer, judge, teacher, physicist, surgeon, pilot, businessman, etc. I mentioned how I was recently talking with my friend about that show "The Mormons" and she asked me to explain the apostles thing (it was mentioned in the show but not explained). So I was explainign the organization, and she asked who they were and how they were chosen...we ended up getting into their backgrounds etc, and she was impressed that they are so diverse, and so diversely educated.

#140 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
So here is a question then:
Assuming you knew something about the BOM (had read parts, heard stories, etc) prior to reading it on your own in it's entirety, what kinds of things struck you personally when you did read it yourself?
Most of all, I loved finding out there were scriptural reasons for all the "policies" of the church. Well, I find those when I read D and C also. But I love finding the scriptural reasons.
#141 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM

I have no snacks in between meals, and I try to have no treats. I try to have a mental fast, read appropriate stuff, not frivolous. I try not to go online.

HTH.
#142 of 628 Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Anyone else read translations other than the KJV?
I read the French one is a missionary. A friend of mine who served in Germany said their word for God in Genesis is plural. "Gods created the heavens and the earth..." My understanding is the Tongan one uses a plural, as well.
#143 of 628 Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

I just found this awesome website for LDS Enrishment ideas while I was looking for Eye Spy bag tutorials:

http://www.enrichmentcottage.com/

Wonderful little website!

To answer some previous questions -

The scripture that stands out to me the most isAlma 36 because that is the chapter that brought me back to the church. When Alma talks about a joy as great as was his pain, my heart just about jumped out of my body. If it is possible, then I want it! I wanted it badly! And that started my journey, to explore the Church again and find out if it is true.

And it is true. YOU CAN HAVE A JOY AS GREAT AS YOUR PAIN. That is the good news of the Church.

For fasting - one thing I do is give twice as much fast offering as I usually do, since I get the shakes if I go too long without eating.
#144 of 628 Old 02-26-2008, 04:25 AM

Fasting
DH and I were asked to speak on that last mo. I was like, uh, I haven't fasted in 3 yrs., but ok! (in my head, I justge said yes to the counselor). I try not to have sweets b/c that is a huge sacrifice for me, so that's my way of trying to honor the law of fasting. I actually adopted that theory years ago b/c I get very shaky and sick w/o eating. As PPs said, I think it's the spirit of it more than the act of not eating. I also bear my testimony often.

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
#145 of 628 Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

My mother gave me some excellent advice for making flannel board figures today. She said that she usually buys laminate paper for the top, and then irons them onto Pelon fabric. The laminate helps them last longer and the Pelon actually works great on flannel. She said to make a flannel board she just bought flannel at JoAnn's and taped it to a big piece of cardboard.

I was looking at the Friend magazine and they have two types - one preprinted and colored, and one kids can color themselves. They also have coloring pages. They're pretty much set up for FHE with toddlers! Now I want to make a run to the DI to find old Friend Mags for their flannel board figures and coloring pages! Connor always breaks his crayons but Michaels sells sets for $1.00 (probably made by other children in China).

I hope everyone is having a nice week. I've been listening to the scriptures online while I play with the kids. It's easier then trying to carve out actual reading time.
#146 of 628 Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
She said to make a flannel board she just bought flannel at JoAnn's and taped it to a big piece of cardboard.
For portability, storability, and to have a bigger board, you can buy one of those cardboard, tri-fold presentation boards at Staples or other office supply places and staple the felt to it.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#147 of 628 Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM

That is awesome you can use stuff from the friend. I hadn't thought of that! It's also funny, cause I was at the library last week and brought home a book on flannel boards cause I think DD would love it! Love the idea of using it for FHE though, that's great! You can also trace and color on interfacing and then you don't need multiple layers-it will stick to flannel as is. The book I checked out also said you can use fleece for scenery pieces. I think I'm going to go w/ the tri fold thing b/c you can fold it back and it becomes its own tripod also, plus you can hide upcoming pieces inside the triangle.

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
#148 of 628 Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_tricia View Post
That is awesome you can use stuff from the friend. I hadn't thought of that! It's also funny, cause I was at the library last week and brought home a book on flannel boards cause I think DD would love it! Love the idea of using it for FHE though, that's great! You can also trace and color on interfacing and then you don't need multiple layers-it will stick to flannel as is. The book I checked out also said you can use fleece for scenery pieces. I think I'm going to go w/ the tri fold thing b/c you can fold it back and it becomes its own tripod also, plus you can hide upcoming pieces inside the triangle.
What's the name of the book you bought?
#149 of 628 Old 02-27-2008, 06:31 PM

You can also find PDF copies of the Friend issues at lds.org. So if you have a color printer, or don't care if it is black/white, you can just print out the pages at home. Just in case you have a hard time finding old copies.
#150 of 628 Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 AM

I read in the ensign today about a family that only uses the friend as a reverence helper during sacrament meeting. I'm loving that idea since our church bag is getting really heavy! Plus I always feel a little bad throwing away the magazines so now i'll just keep them and let the kids really wear them out.

I'm having a really hard time balancing my life right now. I just feel like there is so much I want and need to do, but being productive on a regular basis seems impossible with a big family + baby. Something that has helped me is a scripture dh brought up in fhe "press forward with a steadfastness in faith, feasting upon the words of christ. It made me realize that when things get stressful, I tend to neglect my scripture study when in reality I should be intensifying it, and expecting to find hope, peace, and counsel therein. It helped today to just sit and read for a few minutes when i was feeling especially discouraged. I havent figured out how to not feel overwhelmed when i read something and the spirit tells me it applies to me. I get these big ideas about how im going to change this or that and then i give it a try and it all goes to pot. it is incredibly discouraging. I feel like I don't even want to be inspired right now because it will just add to the list of things I need to or want to do. Instead I feel like I'm watching the world go by while my baby sucks me dry and gives me sore nipples. (could he be ready for solids already?)
Don't get me wrong, I adore the little fella, and I'd love to be able to just sit around and enjoy him all day long, but I have 4 other kids and a hubby and a calling and friends and a house, and I really really don't function without lots of sleep so there you go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page