LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 628 Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, since you are online in the other room - do you know what happened to the forehead thermometer? Connor's whole body feels super hot and my maternal spidey senses are tingling.
#182 of 628 Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

And for my 3000th post I include the full text of the quote in my signature.

Quote:
Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother’s image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child’s mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world. True, there comes a time when Father takes his place as exemplar and hero of the growing boy; and in the latter’s budding ambition to develop manly traits, he outwardly seems to turn from the more gentle and tender virtues engendered by his mother. Yet that ever-directing and restraining influence implanted during the first years of his childhood linger with him and permeate his thoughts and memory as distinctively as perfume clings to each particular flower.” (Gospel Ideals, p. 452.) - The Prophet David O McKay
#183 of 628 Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM

When does talking cross the line over to gossip? There is something someone said that has been really bothering me. I want to discuss it with my sister, who doesn't know her. I would discuss it with my best friend, but because she knows the offending person, I would consider it gossip. I've been trying really hard to not gossip but I still want to be able to discuss things that people do that are bothersome and rub me the wrong way. What are your feelings on this?

ETA: I'm really hoping this post doesn't come across the wrong way, and that I don't sound like a total UAV. I'm asking this in innocence, and yes I understand that if there is a question, it is better to err on the side of caution, but this is something that I haven't been able to stop thinking about and my sister and I discuss everything together, but we do our best to not gossip.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#184 of 628 Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

To me it depends on the intent. If it is to resolve an issue, it isn't gossip. If it's just to spread the information, its gossip.
#185 of 628 Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 PM

I did end up talking to my sister about it, and I'm glad I did, because she brought up some good points about how this other person might have been feeling, and how what she said and what she thought might be totally different things.

#186 of 628 Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
When does talking cross the line over to gossip? There is something someone said that has been really bothering me. I want to discuss it with my sister, who doesn't know her. I would discuss it with my best friend, but because she knows the offending person, I would consider it gossip. I've been trying really hard to not gossip but I still want to be able to discuss things that people do that are bothersome and rub me the wrong way. What are your feelings on this?

ETA: I'm really hoping this post doesn't come across the wrong way, and that I don't sound like a total UAV. I'm asking this in innocence, and yes I understand that if there is a question, it is better to err on the side of caution, but this is something that I haven't been able to stop thinking about and my sister and I discuss everything together, but we do our best to not gossip.
Looks like you've already decided, but for me the test is what my intent is. Do I need to process some emotions about the other person's words and actions or do I intend to make the person look bad? If I'm needing to process I'll also try to do so in a way that protects the person's identity, so no accidental harm can come of it.
#187 of 628 Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
Looks like you've already decided, but for me the test is what my intent is. Do I need to process some emotions about the other person's words and actions or do I intend to make the person look bad? If I'm needing to process I'll also try to do so in a way that protects the person's identity, so no accidental harm can come of it.
: That's exactly what I do, too.
#188 of 628 Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Waving Hi ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
... 1. What have been your most succesful family nights with toddlers?
Walking around the neighborhood ... game night ....

Quote:
...2. What are your favorite books written by Church leaders and LDS authors?
"I Believe" by Lowell Bennion; "Sanctuary" by Chieko Okazaki

Quote:
...3. How has the AP and NFL enhanced your spirituality?
We don't have broadcast TV reception (no cable TV in our home) ... so Monday Night football / sports is not an issue at all.
#189 of 628 Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM

pssst... NFL= Natural Family Living

#190 of 628 Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

National Football League doesn't enhance my spirituality, either.

Here's a question - at what age should your children no longer see you naked? I still take baths with my 2 year old son and I'm wondering when that would be considered creepy instead of cute.
#191 of 628 Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:

National Football League doesn't enhance my spirituality, either.

Here's a question - at what age should your children no longer see you naked? I still take baths with my 2 year old son and I'm wondering when that would be considered creepy instead of cute.
For me the test was when my son didn't want to be around a nekkid mama. If memory serves, he noticed and cared somewhere around 4-5 years old.

We didn't bathe together, but we're an open door sort of family and he'd stop coming into my room to talk if he knew I just showered and was dressing, etc. Once I noticed that he seemed to mind I took greater care to keep my nakedness to myself more, if that makes sense.
#192 of 628 Old 03-14-2008, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ah - so they sort of reach an age where they've eaten the fruit and become aware of their nakedness. I'll follow his cues, then.
#193 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Ah - so they sort of reach an age where they've eaten the fruit and become aware of their nakedness. I'll follow his cues, then.
That's what I have heard to do and it makes sense to me. DD still sees me naked and neither of us feel uncomfortable about it. I think once someone feels uncomfortable that covering up should be done. For instance DH would not undress with dd in the room even when she was a baby so when he showers with her he's always worn his swim trunks. I doubt dd would care if he were naked, but DH would so it works best for him.

:::
#194 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 AM

What do those of you with young children do for date night? DD won't stay with anyone else yet and we'll have a new baby soon. We're going to start having more formal us time once dd is asleep once a week.
My ideas so far are watching a movie, playing scrabble or another game, or one of us bringing back take out. What other things could we do?
Are there any books with lists of ideas? We got some FHE lesson books and they are helping alot! Tonight we practiced with the birth pool and it was fun to do a project like that together.

#195 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 AM

For us date nights were delayed until DD was nearly 2 years old - due to her temperment, mostly.

It was pure bliss just to sit down and talk uninterrupted! We'd go out to a restaurant and just order dessert and talk and talk.

We took some walks along the lakefront and sometimes we'd window shop. There were days when we'd do the grocery shopping and it was fabulous not to have a toddler tagging along.

Honestly for us doing anything that felt remotely pre-children was a date!
#196 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
We really want to build up food storage, too, but we just have no place to put it all! We're going on a total elimination diet next month, as laid out in the book Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp. It is a diet where we eat certain foods very strictly for a week, and then for days 8-17 add in massive amounts of a cerain food for one day per problem food, and take notes. I'm hoping to be done with the diet before DD sees the dermatologist next month. I can't remember the day she has her appointment. I guess I'd better call! Anyway, I can't start building up food storage anyway until I know what my family is sensitive to. I'm going to do it, too, and I'm going to try to convince DH to do it for himself as well. I'm going to take notes for both girls, though DD1 has the most problems, but the problems didn't come through so much until after she was weaned.
How did this go? I pulled my book out this morning because ds is just getting too hyper and having other behavioural issues. He does not have add, I've discussed it at length with 3 speech pathologist he has seen, plus his preschool teachers. It' s just getting to the point where I can't handle him right now. And of course, that makes me feel like a sucky mom.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#197 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well, my son is almost 6 and I still don't cover up all the time. I'm starting to feel a little more self-conscious around him, though, so I try to change when he's in another room and stuff, but if he walks in I don't rush to cover up or anything. I'm sure it would just draw attention to it and make him feel weird if I did. Every now and then, we still even shower together, but it is starting to become weird to me -- probably not to him, but it is to me.

Now, when his friends are over, I definitely make sure they don't see me if I have to change clothes. But DS1 started noticing differences and being aware of nakedness around 4-5, too, so I'd probably just follow his lead, like others have said. I'm guessing for us, in the next year it will feel much more inappropriate for him to see me naked. I like being rather casual about it though, since I remember my parents rushing to cover or hide if we accidently walked in on them, and it always added to my embarassment.

Re: Date night
Honestly, we just never did date nights. But I wouldn't recommend that tactic, since I'm pretty sure our marriage may have suffered as a result. But DS1 was very extreme in not wanting to be apart from us for a long time, so we just took him with us when we went out. He's old enough now that he likes visiting friends and can handle staying with a babysitter, so we plan to start having a regular temple night, at least. The baby doesn't seem to mind being with other people, too, so that makes it easier. If he was as extreme in his separation anxiety as DS1, I honestly don't know what we'd do. But I do know we need to do something.
#198 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
How did this go? I pulled my book out this morning because ds is just getting too hyper and having other behavioural issues. He does not have add, I've discussed it at length with 3 speech pathologist he has seen, plus his preschool teachers. It' s just getting to the point where I can't handle him right now. And of course, that makes me feel like a sucky mom.
We're still on the first week's diet because all her symptoms haven't cleared up yet. I'm planning on starting phase 2 on Sunday, but she still is exhibiting some symptoms (eczema, bed wetting every night still, etc). I'm beginning to think it isn't food related She's tested negative for all environmental allergies, so I'm just at a loss here.

#199 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 03:19 PM

THe naked thing is tough for me. Dh took a bath today and the door was open. Dd1 is 6 1/2. I dont' think she even noticed. My parents and younger sibs is completely different though. My bro and sis were still bathing together at 8 and 10 until my other sister and I said something about it. My sis will be 15 next month and I think she still goes in the bathroom when my dad is using it. I'm not sure about him bathing, showering though. My mom still walks around the house completely naked and my brother was 13 this week.

I think it's a bit much, but I don't know where you draw the line.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#200 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
What do those of you with young children do for date night? DD won't stay with anyone else yet and we'll have a new baby soon. We're going to start having more formal us time once dd is asleep once a week.
My ideas so far are watching a movie, playing scrabble or another game, or one of us bringing back take out. What other things could we do?
Are there any books with lists of ideas? We got some FHE lesson books and they are helping alot! Tonight we practiced with the birth pool and it was fun to do a project like that together.
We've always brought the babies with us. Our favorie is a book store cafe (even before we got married) where everyone gets a book and we sit down to overpriced desserts and Italian sodas. We bring the babies to restaurants and picnics, too. I guess since we always do it, Connor knows how to behave. Certainly the dates might be longer without the kids, but they're still fun and we call them "book dates."

If we ever need alone time we buy red bulls so we can stay up later than the kids.
#201 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
THe naked thing is tough for me. Dh took a bath today and the door was open. Dd1 is 6 1/2. I dont' think she even noticed. My parents and younger sibs is completely different though. My bro and sis were still bathing together at 8 and 10 until my other sister and I said something about it. My sis will be 15 next month and I think she still goes in the bathroom when my dad is using it. I'm not sure about him bathing, showering though. My mom still walks around the house completely naked and my brother was 13 this week.

I think it's a bit much, but I don't know where you draw the line.
I know for some families the nakedness is not a big deal. I know hippie families who are very open about that kind of thing and it doesn't come across as creepy. But I know the Gospel teaches respect for the concept of modesty. So I was thinking, at the very least, by the time they reach bptism age. Obviously if I'm still nursing my son, there's going to be all kind of nakedness, and if I'm nursing when my son is older I don't want to show him shame about it because I want all my chidren to grow up thinking breastfeeding is very normal and beautiful.

I don't imagine there's actually a church policy on the subject. It's probably decided the moment one person feels uncomfortable.
#202 of 628 Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 PM

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I need help and prayers and good thoughts and everything else. My husband asked me to go spend a few days with my parents so he could have time to think about whether our marriage is worth trying to save. I am so scared. I love him so much and don't want to have him leave me. I don't know what to do. We've been having issues lately, but things have finally come to blow. Please, pray for my family. I feeling like I'm dying...
I'm posting this on both LDS thread hoping for as much support as possible. This has to be the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#203 of 628 Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 AM

Kelly, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

#204 of 628 Old 03-16-2008, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216 View Post
Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I need help and prayers and good thoughts and everything else. My husband asked me to go spend a few days with my parents so he could have time to think about whether our marriage is worth trying to save. I am so scared. I love him so much and don't want to have him leave me. I don't know what to do. We've been having issues lately, but things have finally come to blow. Please, pray for my family. I feeling like I'm dying...
I'm posting this on both LDS thread hoping for as much support as possible. This has to be the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Have you called your Bishop? He is experienced with crises such as this.
#205 of 628 Old 03-16-2008, 03:04 AM

You guys will be in my prayers.

, , , and
#206 of 628 Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I hope and pray that everything will be ok!

#207 of 628 Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the prayers. Dh didn't go to church today, for like the 5th week in a row. I however did go, and made an appointment with the bishop for tuesday evening. Hopefully dh will show up (he said he'll think about it when I called him) and hopefully it will go well.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#208 of 628 Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I know for some families the nakedness is not a big deal. I know hippie families who are very open about that kind of thing and it doesn't come across as creepy. But I know the Gospel teaches respect for the concept of modesty. So I was thinking, at the very least, by the time they reach bptism age.
I had all kinds of ideas, but dd1 is 9 1/2 and is pretty much clueless/very comfortable about family nakedness around the house. It's very interesting, because modesty and covering our bodies is part of our regular discussion, but we're a very open-door family--mostly b/c of dh's attitudes, tbh. My family wasn't exactly like that. We both grab a robe or something more often when going to help a little one in the night.

Dd2 is almost 8 and she is actually more "shy" about her body. But neither of them "get it" that ds (4) will need his own room at some point (8?).

We've had to point out more than once to dd1 that she needs to put clothes on to go and talk to her grandad when we're at their house.
#209 of 628 Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the prayers. Dh didn't go to church today, for like the 5th week in a row. I however did go, and made an appointment with the bishop for tuesday evening. Hopefully dh will show up (he said he'll think about it when I called him) and hopefully it will go well.
hang in there, Kelly.
#210 of 628 Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

We had fun celebrating the Irish part of our heritage on St Patrick's, and this Sunday we hope to celebrae my Ukrainian side with some traditional Ukrainian dishes. I would love to learn how to do Ukrainian Easter eggs. The Nova natural toy catalog actually sells a kit.

I hope to do as much as possible to also show my son that Easter represents something special about Jesus, but I'm not sure how much he'll get yet.

Not to belittle anyone else's religion, but I was just thinking today how glad I am that the Church doesn't mind the pagan parts of our holidays. We can dress up for Halloween and hunt for Easter eggs and it doesn't have to detract from the Christian meanings.

One of the playgroup ladies said that the Ensign did an article about the Pagan origins of Easter a few years ago - I wonder if I can find it and post a link....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page