Catholic Mamas Celebrating Holy Week and Easter Thread!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 03-15-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Catholic Mamas! Here's a place for us to discuss our preparations and celebrations as we enter into the holiest time of the entire year in our faith.

Praying that all of our families will experience conversion, joy, and many blessings during Holy Week and the entire Easter Season.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#2 of 61 Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
We absolutely LOVE Arizona. We are more convinced than ever that this was totally God's plan for us. And Stacy, if you're around you'll like this We used to go to the Traditional Latin Mass occasionally (there really wasn't one in our old area) but now we've joined a Latin Mass community and it's done WONDERS for our spiritual life as a family!
That's great, I'm really happy for you all! I haven't been around much lately but I just got back from several weeks in AZ - the weather was so nice! Hopefully it will be spring here soon.

Did I tell you I'm in the June DDC again? I don't ever visit the '06 one anymore, but I am due in June again with a girl this time. We have two boys, so we are really excited.
#3 of 61 Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Stacy, I knew you were due in June again but I didn't know it's a girl - congrats!! I had the opposite, 2 girls and then a boy, lots of fun to experience the "other side" LOL.

....and, I have some great news too....looks like my Junebug will be a big brother, too! I got a BFP today!!! Well, it wasn't big and fat, more like very faint, but it's a line and a line is a line, right?!

So PLEASE mamas, say a prayer for this baby - it's so early and I'm always nervous, I have a thyroid condition that increases the risk of m/c and other problems in pg....thank God I've never had any problems thus far, but still, I worry....

I am SOOOOOO thrilled!!!!! We've been praying so hard for this baby for months and months!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#4 of 61 Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Hi, mamas! I read this thread faithfully, but rarely post. I learn so much for you all, though. I can't believe we are about to go into Holy Week. I feel like I have done a horrible job this Lent preparing for Easter, and now Lent is almost over! Darn!

Congratulations on the pregnancies! DH and I are starting to think about TTC#2 and I am so excited about it. We probably won't actively start TTC for at least another few months, but it's exciting talking about it nonetheless.

I hope you all have a very blessed and prayerful Holy Week and a joyful Easter.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#5 of 61 Old 03-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

subbing for now. off to mass.
#6 of 61 Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
....and, I have some great news too....looks like my Junebug will be a big brother, too! I got a BFP today!!! Well, it wasn't big and fat, more like very faint, but it's a line and a line is a line, right?!
That's so great! Congratulations! My initial test line was faint too with this pg, but, as they say, a line is a line - lol.
#7 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 AM

Hi mamas,

I have been feeling the call to be more involved in the Catholic faith. I have attended mass sporadically over the years but I think I really am ready to belong to a parish. However, I have to say that I am kind of lost as to what I should do next. I have so many questions and I hoping you ladies will be able to help

I was raised Catholic until I was about 10. I've done my First Confession and Communion but it has been about 15+ years since I've gone to communion. I honestly don't even remember what I am supposed to say to the priest I was never Confirmed. I'm assuming that I will need to attend RCIA classes but I wasn't sure if most parishes expect you to register before you attend. Honestly, I really want to attend RCIA because I could rally use some guidance.

I am also thinking that I would like to have my son baptized in the church and I am wondering if the father has to be Catholic as well?

And my last question is about my marriage...My husband and I were married in a Presbyterian Church. Will the Catholic Church recognize our marriage?

Any books or online sources would be much appreciated....

Thanks so much.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#8 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin'smom View Post
Hi mamas,

I have been feeling the call to be more involved in the Catholic faith. I have attended mass sporadically over the years but I think I really am ready to belong to a parish. However, I have to say that I am kind of lost as to what I should do next. I have so many questions and I hoping you ladies will be able to help

I was raised Catholic until I was about 10. I've done my First Confession and Communion but it has been about 15+ years since I've gone to communion. I honestly don't even remember what I am supposed to say to the priest I was never Confirmed. I'm assuming that I will need to attend RCIA classes but I wasn't sure if most parishes expect you to register before you attend. Honestly, I really want to attend RCIA because I could rally use some guidance.

I am also thinking that I would like to have my son baptized in the church and I am wondering if the father has to be Catholic as well?

And my last question is about my marriage...My husband and I were married in a Presbyterian Church. Will the Catholic Church recognize our marriage?

Thanks so much.
Yes you need to attend RICA classes. I would register at the parish. It does not matter that you have not been confirmed.
The priest will not be shocked that you have not been to confession in 15 years and will help you.
The church will recognize your marriage but you need to have it convalidated to receive the sacrament of marriage.

Seven Steps to Convalidation
Being married in the eyes of the Church also involves more than just paperwork. The government sees marriage as a legal contract that can be easily broken. In contrast, the Church views marriage as a sacrament instituted by God, a permanent covenant between husband and wife.

Catholics who want their marriage recognized as this permanent and sacramental covenant should begin the convalidation process by making an appointment with their parish priest. I have listed the 7 steps of convalidation below.

Your husband does not have to be Catholic to have your son baptist. He just has to agree to raise your son in the Catholic faith.

Although convalidations are handled differently from diocese to diocese, the Church’s Code of Canon Law governs the main guidelines. There are basically seven steps involved.

1. First, all Catholic spouses must produce new copies of their certificates of baptism. These can be obtained by requesting a copy of the baptismal record from the parish where the person was baptized, indicating the name of the individual (as well as the names of the parents), date of birth and approximate baptismal date. This usually takes only a few days.

2. It may be necessary to seek an annulment (or declaration of nullity) from any previous marriages, if the former spouse is not deceased. A favorable decision is needed before a convalidation ceremony can be scheduled. The priest, or a delegate, will help the petitioner with this process, which can take six months or longer. There is a shorter form for any Catholic who married outside theChurch. A formal annulment is usually not required in this case. The diocesan tribunal ordinarily processes that application in a few days and returns to the petitioner a declaration of nullity based on what is called a "lack of canonical form." After obtaining an annulment, the Catholic is now free to have the Church convalidate a legal marriage which has already taken place.

3. This next step is a difficult one. Couples who approach the Church for convalidation are requested to abstain from sexual union until after the official convalidation ceremony. Until a marriage is deemed sacramentally valid, Catholics who marry outside the Church are considered to be living in a sinful condition and the Church wishes to shield her members from further sin. The couple may remain together but should refrain from conjugal
acts, relying on their faith to strengthen their resolve in this discipline.Why does the Church insist on such stringency? Paul states in the latter part of Ephesians 5, “The two shall become one flesh. This is a profound mystery, but I am talking about Christ and the Church.” Paul reiterates this truth in I Corinthians 6:16b-17: “The two will become one flesh. And he who unites himself to the Lord is one with Him in spirit.”From these passages of scripture, it is clear that God intended Christian marriage to mirror the relationship of faithful love believers share with Christ.According to the Church, then, marriage is much more than just mutual consent. It is a grace-filled union that parallels the kinship of love between God and His people, but only within the confines of a truly sacramental marriage.

4. Canon law also requires some kind of preparation for entering the sacrament of marriage. Individual dioceses establish the guidelines for this preparation. This can range from attending a short convalidation workshop and/or a pre-marriage readiness day to a Marriage Enrichment weekend or even private counseling sessions. This is in addition to completing all the necessary paperwork such as marriage investigation, inquiry form,
or premarital documents.

5. The next step is to attend the sacrament of reconciliation to confess and repent. Many Catholics who married outside the Church may be hesitant because of their long absence from this sacrament. A sympathetic priest will be able to assist the penitents in confessing to God what is in their hearts. Absolved and forgiven, they leave the confessional with lighter spirits and a clean conscience.

6. Next, determine the date, time and most suitable type of Convalidation service. Most couples opt for a simple ceremony where they both renew their consent to the marriage, reaffirming their continued love and commitment before God and the Church. To many, it feels like a renewal of wedding promises. Many couples select the date of their previous wedding ceremony for convenience’ sake and as a reminder that this is the start of their sacramental union in the eyes of the Church. Often their children take part in the celebration, making it especially memorable. Occasionally it happens that one spouse does not wish to participate in a convalidation ceremony, considering in his or her own mind that the marriage is already valid because the two have publicly exchanged their mutual consent previously.
In such cases, the Church can recognize the marriage on paper in what is known as sanatio in radice, which means “healing in the root.” The necessary documents are assembled and the diocesan bishop proclaims in writing that the union is indeed valid.
7. Finally, celebrate! The convalidation may take place at the main altar during mass or in a shorter ceremony afterwards. The couple may also choose to have the ceremony at a shrine or sacred grotto that holds special meaning for them. The priest or deacon who presides uses the Rite of Marriage to lead the couple in taking the original vows and renewing them in the context of a Catholic ceremony, thus making it a valid marriage in the eyes of the Church. Even in the shorter form, it is still a true wedding ceremony, including the readings of scripture and an appropriate homily. Depending on what the couple desires, they can exchange rings or have the original rings blessed as they wear them. The vows and readings for a convalidation are the same as the wedding ceremony.

At least two other people need to be present to serve as witnesses and they need not be Catholic. Family and friends may also be invited to share the joy of the ceremony.

Some priests will be open to more elaborate ceremonies that include traditional wedding music or a procession, but it should be clearly understood that an actual, legal wedding has already taken place prior to the convalidation. The bride and groom were legally married according to the state government, but not under the requirements of a Catholic wedding ceremony according to canon law, which all Catholics are bound to obey.

Heidi
#9 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama
We absolutely LOVE Arizona. We are more convinced than ever that this was totally God's plan for us. And Stacy, if you're around you'll like this We used to go to the Traditional Latin Mass occasionally (there really wasn't one in our old area) but now we've joined a Latin Mass community and it's done WONDERS for our spiritual life as a family!
I loved Arizona too! Lived in Cave Creek and Pheonix for 2 years. Gosh I would love to move back!
#10 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Hi mamas,

Thanks so much.
YEAH!!
I'm about to convert- finally!

I'm married to an atheist, but married in a Baptist church. The Catholic Church recognizes marriages from other religions who accept The Holy Trinity (except LDS- because their Trinity is a bit different (three separate beings of flesh and blood as opposed to the trinity of three in one).

Anyway, GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!
#11 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 PM

As for me...

I walked away from my parish because I was to angry to even look at our preist or the members of the congragation.

God came away with me though and I continued in prayer and thought. I attended Palm Sunday mass not realizing it was Palm Sunday. I was actually encouraged by a friend who considers herself a "winter Catholic" and not someone I seek spiritual advise from. But there she was with this great advice and I just went back.

I told our priest I was over being angry with him and he laughed. We talked and got me back on track. He said the Scrutinies over me today at 10 AM since he didn't know I was coming Sunday.

I cried the entire time.

Thankfully I never doubted wanting to become Catholic but I think he thought I was being wishy washy. I love The Church, just was ticked at the priest. Through my friend I now have this new perspective and have let go of trying to find that church family I had back in Oregon at Sacred Heart as a kid. Now it's all about my relationship with Christ Like it should have been all along.
#12 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Hello ladies!

So who is doing the big deed on Saturday night? lol Congratulations!

I really want to go to Easter Vigil, but a good friend of mine is having a birthday party that evening. I haven't seen this friend in a long time. The party starts at 5 p.m., and the Vigil starts at 8 p.m., so I was thinking I could go to the party, leave for church, and then if the party was still going on, go back to it. The only problem is that I semi-invited another friend to go to the party with me. This friend has a lot of issues that I don't want to get into, but I know she would not want to go to church with me. Plus, she'll want to go out afterward and I don't feel comfortable doing that. This friend will also be with me earlier that day, so it's not like I can just ditch her. I also promised her we'd do something Saturday evening because I forgot that it was Easter weekend.

What should I do? I can't believe I forgot something as important as Easter. I know I should just tell her that I want to go to church, and she's more than welcome to come with me. And that we can go to a movie or go out for coffee or go back to the party afterward, but I don't want to go to a club or get drunk (eww!). And that I need to be back at a semi-reasonable hour because Mass is at 10:30 a.m.

I think I'm growing apart from my friend. When we first met, she used to be more religious, and I was much less religious, and now we have flipped-flopped. Plus, I'm a parent, have family obligations, and I'm reserved. She is single, childless, has very little family and has mental issues that cause her to have lapses in judgement. And the thing is that she's older than me. *sigh*

This post has turned into a mini-book, so I guess I'll end this now. I think I'm just going to go the church and tell her I'll hang out with her in a few weeks.
#13 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Hi mamas,

Thanks so much.
Congratulations on wanting to come back to the Church!

No, your husband does not need to be Catholic to have your son baptized.

I will be getting my son baptized, eventually, and his dad is not Catholic. I'm really excited about it (the baptism, not his dad not being Catholic, ha, ha!!) and can't wait to tell his dad's family. They aren't Catholic, but I know DS's grandmother will be so happy.

RCIA is actually really fun. Just call the parish and tell them that you're interested in joining RCIA. They'll hook you up.

Good luck
#14 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the help, ladies.

I'm going to my first RCIA meeting this Wednesday... I called the parish office and the woman that runs the meeting was very nice and helpful.

Amy

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#15 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

Seven Steps to Convalidation
Being married in the eyes of the Church also involves more than just paperwork. The government sees marriage as a legal contract that can be easily broken. In contrast, the Church views marriage as a sacrament instituted by God, a permanent covenant between husband and wife.

Catholics who want their marriage recognized as this permanent and sacramental covenant should begin the convalidation process by making an appointment with their parish priest. I have listed the 7 steps of convalidation below.

Your husband does not have to be Catholic to have your son baptist. He just has to agree to raise your son in the Catholic faith.

Although convalidations are handled differently from diocese to diocese, the Church’s Code of Canon Law governs the main guidelines. There are basically seven steps involved.

1. First, all Catholic spouses must produce new copies of their certificates of baptism. These can be obtained by requesting a copy of the baptismal record from the parish where the person was baptized, indicating the name of the individual (as well as the names of the parents), date of birth and approximate baptismal date. This usually takes only a few days.

2. It may be necessary to seek an annulment (or declaration of nullity) from any previous marriages, if the former spouse is not deceased. A favorable decision is needed before a convalidation ceremony can be scheduled. The priest, or a delegate, will help the petitioner with this process, which can take six months or longer. There is a shorter form for any Catholic who married outside theChurch. A formal annulment is usually not required in this case. The diocesan tribunal ordinarily processes that application in a few days and returns to the petitioner a declaration of nullity based on what is called a "lack of canonical form." After obtaining an annulment, the Catholic is now free to have the Church convalidate a legal marriage which has already taken place.

3. This next step is a difficult one. Couples who approach the Church for convalidation are requested to abstain from sexual union until after the official convalidation ceremony. Until a marriage is deemed sacramentally valid, Catholics who marry outside the Church are considered to be living in a sinful condition and the Church wishes to shield her members from further sin. The couple may remain together but should refrain from conjugal
acts, relying on their faith to strengthen their resolve in this discipline.Why does the Church insist on such stringency? Paul states in the latter part of Ephesians 5, “The two shall become one flesh. This is a profound mystery, but I am talking about Christ and the Church.” Paul reiterates this truth in I Corinthians 6:16b-17: “The two will become one flesh. And he who unites himself to the Lord is one with Him in spirit.”From these passages of scripture, it is clear that God intended Christian marriage to mirror the relationship of faithful love believers share with Christ.According to the Church, then, marriage is much more than just mutual consent. It is a grace-filled union that parallels the kinship of love between God and His people, but only within the confines of a truly sacramental marriage.

4. Canon law also requires some kind of preparation for entering the sacrament of marriage. Individual dioceses establish the guidelines for this preparation. This can range from attending a short convalidation workshop and/or a pre-marriage readiness day to a Marriage Enrichment weekend or even private counseling sessions. This is in addition to completing all the necessary paperwork such as marriage investigation, inquiry form,
or premarital documents.

5. The next step is to attend the sacrament of reconciliation to confess and repent. Many Catholics who married outside the Church may be hesitant because of their long absence from this sacrament. A sympathetic priest will be able to assist the penitents in confessing to God what is in their hearts. Absolved and forgiven, they leave the confessional with lighter spirits and a clean conscience.

6. Next, determine the date, time and most suitable type of Convalidation service. Most couples opt for a simple ceremony where they both renew their consent to the marriage, reaffirming their continued love and commitment before God and the Church. To many, it feels like a renewal of wedding promises. Many couples select the date of their previous wedding ceremony for convenience’ sake and as a reminder that this is the start of their sacramental union in the eyes of the Church. Often their children take part in the celebration, making it especially memorable. Occasionally it happens that one spouse does not wish to participate in a convalidation ceremony, considering in his or her own mind that the marriage is already valid because the two have publicly exchanged their mutual consent previously.
In such cases, the Church can recognize the marriage on paper in what is known as sanatio in radice, which means “healing in the root.” The necessary documents are assembled and the diocesan bishop proclaims in writing that the union is indeed valid.
7. Finally, celebrate! The convalidation may take place at the main altar during mass or in a shorter ceremony afterwards. The couple may also choose to have the ceremony at a shrine or sacred grotto that holds special meaning for them. The priest or deacon who presides uses the Rite of Marriage to lead the couple in taking the original vows and renewing them in the context of a Catholic ceremony, thus making it a valid marriage in the eyes of the Church. Even in the shorter form, it is still a true wedding ceremony, including the readings of scripture and an appropriate homily. Depending on what the couple desires, they can exchange rings or have the original rings blessed as they wear them. The vows and readings for a convalidation are the same as the wedding ceremony.

At least two other people need to be present to serve as witnesses and they need not be Catholic. Family and friends may also be invited to share the joy of the ceremony.

Some priests will be open to more elaborate ceremonies that include traditional wedding music or a procession, but it should be clearly understood that an actual, legal wedding has already taken place prior to the convalidation. The bride and groom were legally married according to the state government, but not under the requirements of a Catholic wedding ceremony according to canon law, which all Catholics are bound to obey.
Thank you for this. DH and I were married 9 years ago outside of the Catholic Church. We are hoping to be married in the church on our 10 year wedding anniversary this year, so we better get to arranging it now. He wants a big party, but I just want our kids and two witnesses, nothing big. We'll see ...

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#16 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Hello everyone. Congratulations on the new pregnancies!

Just posting to get some personal accountability for the rest of Lent. It began with a miscarriage on the day before Mardi Gras, and I just don't feel like I have hit my stride yet. On Sunday, the priest said in his homily that Holy Week is like a second chance at Lent, and that we can apply ourselves to fasting, prayer, and almsgiving anew to be sure we are prepared for Easter. I needed to hear this, especially since I hadn't even realized it was Palm Sunday and barely made it to Mass.

Yikes!

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#17 of 61 Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Yay Triduum! Yay Renewal! New Life! Okay not yet...but soooon.

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
#18 of 61 Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
That's great, I'm really happy for you all! I haven't been around much lately but I just got back from several weeks in AZ - the weather was so nice! Hopefully it will be spring here soon.

Did I tell you I'm in the June DDC again? I don't ever visit the '06 one anymore, but I am due in June again with a girl this time. We have two boys, so we are really excited.
Congrats! We just had a girl after 2 boys and its so fun!

I can't believe its almost Easter already. Lent has been sort of a blur for me, with a brand new baby and all. Its just flown by. Do any of you do the easter bunny? We're still undecided.
#19 of 61 Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
Congrats! We just had a girl after 2 boys and its so fun!

I can't believe its almost Easter already. Lent has been sort of a blur for me, with a brand new baby and all. Its just flown by. Do any of you do the easter bunny? We're still undecided.
I do a modified version of the Easter bunny, since the kids have gone on an egg hunt at my sister's house. I grew up with the bunny and want to get away from it.

I put out baskets for each child with some candy and a few small gifts, books, stickers, etc. My children don't get candy very often, so it is a bug deal to them. Also, I don't do Halloween, more for personal reasons. We had a private Halloween party with junk food and watched The Great Pumpkin!
#20 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 10:45 AM

We do the Easter Bunny. To be honest, I wish we didn't, but we started before we came back to the Church and Easter was just a secular holiday for us. Now I feel like it really detracts from the meaning of Easter for the kids. I would rather do a "Spring Bunny" who leaves a basket of goodies for the kids on the first day of spring instead of Easter morning. But it's too late now...

Anyhoo, I went to confession last night and it was so wonderful. I feel like a new person today, completely renewed and ready for Holy Week in a whole new way. I feel like the Sacraments are such an amazing blessing.

congratulations to all the newly pregnant mamas!

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#21 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 02:26 PM

No Easter Bunny here, but we do give Kailey a basket.

Here's a question:

What to get a 7 year old who doesn't eat candy. We usually eat the little treats we give her, knowing full well they are for us and not her. We have given books, coloring crayons, coloring book, little soaps, lip gloss, etc. But I wanted other ideas for this year.

Any thoughts?

And she totally wants a chocolate bunny, but only for looks. Last year she kept it on her dresser until Dh and I started eating away at it.
#22 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hello ladies. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping for some encouragement... sorry to come in needy )

My dh and I have been attending RCIA since August. Dh was married before and has processed his portion of the annulment. However with the early Easter, his annulment wasn't finalized and we will not be received into the church with the rest of our class. All of his paperwork is in and we've been told that there were no problems found with the annulment, it just hasn't made it to the finish line of the church beaurocracy. We have many other personal stressors going on at this point, which I'm sure just amplifies this feeling of alienation or rejection we are feeling. To be totally honest we are definitely experiencing some bitterness. We know folks who are in the class who do not regularly attend RCIA or mass but are being received... only to get reduced tuition. I know that is between them and doesn't concern me at all... and it didn't bother me until now... when we've been brushed aside and their annulment was finalized faster than ours seemingly because it fell in a different stack of papers. Anyway, the point is that we've decided to stay and continue to wait to be received at a later date. But I need to work through the bitterness before then ... prayers and suggestions in that matter are welcomed.

As for the bunny - there are hidden baskets and eggs at our house but we don't formally address who does that.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#23 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
We do the Easter Bunny. To be honest, I wish we didn't, but we started before we came back to the Church and Easter was just a secular holiday for us. Now I feel like it really detracts from the meaning of Easter for the kids. I would rather do a "Spring Bunny" who leaves a basket of goodies for the kids on the first day of spring instead of Easter morning. But it's too late now...
This exactly describes our situation and my thoughts! I wish we would have done it differently. I do think it detract from the true meaning of Easter. Its hard for them to focus on what's important when all they can think of is chocolate!
#24 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM

Subbing for now, will read later!
#25 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 PM

I had my first confession tonight!
It was strange, I didn't know what to confess
#26 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Hi there Catholic Mamas! I am a long-time lurker, sometimes poster on the Catholic threads, so i hope you don't mind my jumping in!

So here is my problem. I come from a very politically conservative Catholic family. But the more i examine, the more i find that i am definitely not a Republican. Ideologically, i fall heavily into the Democratic party. All except for the whole pro-life voting thing. And therein lies the issue. I don't know what to do. I feel strongly that i must exercise my civic duty. In the presidential bid, i really love Obama, but his voting record on the issue speaks for itself. But McCain. Uck. He wants to keep us in this unjust war that the Holy Father spoke out against. Help! This has been weighing heavily on my mind lately.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#27 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
I had my first confession tonight!
It was strange, I didn't know what to confess
Congratulations! I love the grace and feeling of a clean soul!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#28 of 61 Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydoula View Post
Hi there Catholic Mamas! I am a long-time lurker, sometimes poster on the Catholic threads, so i hope you don't mind my jumping in!

So here is my problem. I come from a very politically conservative Catholic family. But the more i examine, the more i find that i am definitely not a Republican. Ideologically, i fall heavily into the Democratic party. All except for the whole pro-life voting thing. And therein lies the issue. I don't know what to do. I feel strongly that i must exercise my civic duty. In the presidential bid, i really love Obama, but his voting record on the issue speaks for itself. But McCain. Uck. He wants to keep us in this unjust war that the Holy Father spoke out against. Help! This has been weighing heavily on my mind lately.
I know exactly how you feel. I do not vote for this reason.
#29 of 61 Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM

It is difficult to vote. There isn't anyone ever who has the same beliefs I have. So I pick the things that are most important to me, being pro-life is one of them. I can not and will not vote for someone pro-choice. Thats a deal breaker for me. Sometimes I don't like anything except a candidates stance of being pro-life. So they are the one that gets my vote.

Potty Diva, congrats on your first confession! How do you feel afterwards?
#30 of 61 Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM

How did I feel? Like I didn't confess enough. I confessed what I knew at the moment but then afterward was like, oh yeah, I forgot about that...

I don't feel renewed or cleansed though. Maybe next time?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page