LDS Mamas and Papas: April! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 170 Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You've got that right! This is the first time we've been good at saying our prayers and having FHE. I told dh it's felt so good we need to keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 170 Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I have been feeling really..... I dunno..... heart broken? over the whole FLDS thing of recent. That church's governing body is sooo wrong and I find it interesting and disgusting how satan can twist things and people- even the gospel. But I really feel for a lot of these people. I know not ALL of them are in the same "class" as Jeffs and his cronies. I know that some are sincere and good people and I hate to seem them all swept up like this. But what is really making me uneasy is that I feel like I am watching church history. The reports of them raiding the temple made me so sad. I know it's different from our church's history but watching them violate religious freedom and another's sacred place is chilling. I wonder how these people must feel watching their holy places being taken over and combed through by the "outsiders" they have been raised to fear and I can't help but understand why it is they fear them. Like Jessop (I can't remember her first name. She wrote "Escape") said the community wasn't that horrible until Jeffs. I don't know where I am going with this. The whole situation is just so sad. I am glad that those who were being abused are out of that now but it's so sad that innocents were torn away from their community and family. I often wondered why we had changed so much as a people in the church- why we aren't as "peculiar" as we use to be. I have read a lot of commentary on this very subject and the common thread is the belief that we changed (not the gospel or doctrine but the church) because we had to to escape persecution. It didn't sink in until I saw all this. I know that there is rape and horrible abuses going on there and that that was not the case in our church's history but the raid was out of fear of the different and unknown. Would we treat every community like this? Every town? Would such places be raided over one phone call from one little girl? No way.
Anyway it just makes me very thankful we are lead by such inspired men so close to the Lord.

...and just in case I didn't make myself clear I am in no way condoning these "men" or excusing their actions. :Puke
I totally understand what you're talking about. And I think it's hard for someone who's not LDS to get why we cringe at all about what's been going on. I am very, VERY glad that the children have been removed from a possibly abusive situation, but it worries me a lot the way it all happened. Even though I don't believe their temple is sacred in the way our temples are, it did upset me to hear about it being raided. If I want the police to stay out of our temples, how can I applaud them bursting in to someone else's, even if I think it was necessary? It's just hard, and yes, I do get flashbacks of Church history, too.

Quote:
Back on topic- I have been wanting to post this but I don't think MDC likes me anymore. She keeps freezing up. Anywho I'm wondering how long it took for you to read the Book of Mormon and if it was a hard read or whatever. Basically I am wondering what your story is regarding reading the Book of Mormon for the first time. I am reading it for the first time (I know, I know, sooo bad of me! and I want to get through it in time for the Hinckley challenge simply because if I have an incentive I'll get it done which is also sad. Don't get me wrong I love studying the scriptures and do so often (albeit not as often as I would like), but sitting and reading from cover to cover is a real challenge for me. So inspire me!
Well, I read it for the first time when I was 8. And I remember nothing about it except that I read it at that time. I think I got vanishingly little out of that experience, but I'm still glad I did it. I think, at the barest minimum, reading the Book of Mormon is valuable as an expression of faith in God, even if you get nothing from it. Of course, I think you're old enough to get something from it! I probably read it a time or two after that before 'the' time I read it. (And I definitely went through it with my family a time or two.) I was about 15 when I had my Book of Mormon "conversion" experience. Much to my later chagrin as a missionary (although I wouldn't trade the experience for anything), I did not read the whole book, get to Moroni's promise at the end, and pray. Nope. I started reading it because we'd been assigned in YW to write our testimony in a copy of the Book of Mormon and then give it to the missionaries to give out. So I wrote a line or two and then went... 'Umm... what am I supposed to be writing? What does this book even say? And I had read it multiple times! I'd been to Primary, had family scripture study, Sunday School, the works. And I couldn't really think of anything to testify about. So I opened the book and started reading. When I was just a few verses in, I had the overwhelming sensation that the book was TRUE, that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that the Church was true, and all of this came from God. It had NOTHING to do with what I was reading... but the Spirit was absolutely overwhelming. That's really the only word for it. And I got SO MUCH from reading the book that time around.

I guess, for me, that's the most important thing... having the Spirit. I can tell really easily when I start out reading with the Spirit and when I don't. When I do, it's like every verse has some message to be pondered, even verses that ostensibly seem to have no spiritual content. (Like "And my father dwelt in a tent.") I know almost everyone jokes about the Isaiah chapters, but when I've got the Spirit, I LOVE them. They make so much sense.

Even if you don't start out reading with the Spirit, it often sneaks up on you, if you let it.

I'll quit rambling now, but I do have a lot of good things to say about scriptures in general and the Book of Mormon in particular... even if my own personal studies aren't going too well right now.

Quote:
I love history. I love reading about history. I get in these moods for different parts of history. I am beginning to come off my Tudor's mood and I am really into church history. DH has "Rough Stone Rolling" which I plan on reading but what else? Any suggestions? I have heard that "The Work and the Glory" are really great for church history but I couldn't seem to get into them. Still, I am willing to give it another shot if y'all agree that it's a great source. The plus about this series is I don't have to pay for it seeing as how 90% of the families in my area own all of them.
I *loved* The Work and the Glory, and I think it's worth giving them another chance. It really, really does make Church history come alive. A great deal of what I know about Church history comes from reading those books. I especially like them because they're both very accurate and footnoted, although the footnotes do distract me, sometimes.

Monkey (31) + Pirate (29) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(8/12), our long-awaited first, one
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy
(10/6/14)

PCOS
#153 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 02:09 PM

A quick question:

We're planning on blessing Alex next sunday. The Bishop asked us to consider inviting people we might not normally invite, citing the Stake Pres's experience of being invited to a Bar Mitzvah and feeling honored/not offended. There are a couple families I've gotten to be good friends with through an AP playgroup that I think I might invite... but would it be rude to not offer a get-together at our home afterwards, if I did invite them? I've seen people offer luncheons, potlucks, etc. after events like this before, and I just don't think I can manage to get myself put together enough for that by this Sunday (as well as getting the house to be presentable for company). I'm still functioning off of freezer meals as it is.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#154 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 02:21 PM

Another baby blessing question:

We are blessing Caleb on the 11th (the perfect Mother's Day, right?).
I have no clue what baby boys wear for blessings. Usually you see baby girls in white dresses. What is appropiate for boys to wear? I looked at ldscatalog.com and all they have is an infant romper.
I was thinking just a white onesie and blanket? Does it even have to be white? No clue.
#155 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post

I have no clue what baby boys wear for blessings. Usually you see baby girls in white dresses. What is appropiate for boys to wear? I looked at ldscatalog.com and all they have is an infant romper.
I was thinking just a white onesie and blanket? Does it even have to be white? No clue.
It does not have to be white. I have seen babies blessed in many different things. Noah wore a white suit that my GMIL bought for him to wear, but I think anything will do. I usually try to go with white, just cause it is pretty in pictures, but that is just personal preference, it is totally up to you what they wear. You might be able to find some cute easter outfits on sale right now that he could wear.
#156 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Oh and another place is the get on Dharma trading company (if you wanted to do white). They have some great little rompers and things that are comfy and cute.
#157 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
A quick question:

We're planning on blessing Alex next sunday. The Bishop asked us to consider inviting people we might not normally invite, citing the Stake Pres's experience of being invited to a Bar Mitzvah and feeling honored/not offended. There are a couple families I've gotten to be good friends with through an AP playgroup that I think I might invite... but would it be rude to not offer a get-together at our home afterwards, if I did invite them? I've seen people offer luncheons, potlucks, etc. after events like this before, and I just don't think I can manage to get myself put together enough for that by this Sunday (as well as getting the house to be presentable for company). I'm still functioning off of freezer meals as it is.
I have known a few families who just got a big deli tray from the grocery store or something...my SIL got a 6ft sub from her walmart deli.
Of course, you'd still have to clean the house etc.....and SIL went home straight after sacrament mtg (didn't get to stay through other meetings) because she was busy getting ready. That is not something I wanted to do. We opted to have a bbq in our backyard and bless Sam at home. (My family could only come one weekend and it was stk conf, so we couldn't do the blessing in church anyway...)
I think a lot of people offer luncheons/open houses, but they are certainly not obligatory. You could always have a celebratory potluck at the park the night before or the day after or something--outdoors = no housecleaning! You could also just have a cake or buy a big box of cookies and have people over for 30 min for dessert and that's it. (Depending what time your church is that might not work so well, )
Perhaps just word your invitations to make it clear "we would love your presence for this ceremony" where/when etc, and then if you opt to do additional stuff let them know when/where on that. I might even just say point blank that you are not having people over afterwards because you want to go to your other meetings, don't want the stress, don't want lots of people exposing baby to germs, etc whatever your reasons are.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#158 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Jenni, thanks for your thoughts.

We actually have a reversed meeting schedule, with Sacrament meeting last - and it's over at noon. How's that for throwing a wrench into things? I probably would invite only for Sacrament meeting, especially since I'm in primary and wouldn't be able to play hostess in other meetings. But noon doesn't seem like a good time for cake or cookies. Maybe a deli tray, though. That could potentially work.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#159 of 170 Old 04-28-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post

It can be whatever you like. My mom had a little light blue summery outfit she used for her summer boys, and a wintery something (dont' recall color) for the winter boys. She only had one summer boy, lol.
Some people like th elong gowns for boys too, although that's not so common in the LDS church, it's done elsewhere all the time.
I just used a little white something and had a pretty blanket that my friend had crochet for him (white with light blue trim). The blanket showed a whole lot mroe than the outfit.

#160 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM

With that economic stimulus check coming soon DH and I are looking at increasing our food storage.

Do your wards organize any food storage co-ops or group orders?

If so, who would you recommend that I speak with at my ward?

I don't attend Relief Society meetings any longer since I received my calling as Primary Secretary (it's really fun!).

So sorry I haven't been keeping up with the threads lately.

Our newborn, Meghan, has been keeping me busy and I've been trying to keep up with my sewing as well. I don't even read the news most days.
#161 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 PM

On another note - baby blessings -

We've been kind of waiting for DH to be ordained to the priesthood to have Meghan blessed.

I know babies are typically blessed as newborns. How long can we wait?

He just received his first calling as Elder Quorum Secretary and I think the Bishop is working with him on priesthood education.
#162 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Babies who are adopted aren't blessing until 6 months. i don't think there's any particular age. A blessing isn't even a saving ordinance, it's just a nice thing to do. We did at when my baby was 2 months at my moms church house the Sunday before Christmas. We did it that night, so it wasn't even during church
Good luck to your dh. That's really exciting. It will be fun for him to be able to give his sweet baby a blessing.
#163 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post

We've been kind of waiting for DH to be ordained to the priesthood to have Meghan blessed.

He just received his first calling as Elder Quorum Secretary and I think the Bishop is working with him on priesthood education.
Well, the baby is held in the air by the men performing teh blessing, so you don't want her to be too heavy... My nephew was blessed when he was over a year old, but he has Downs Syndrome and is quite small. I mean, really small. He was almost 2 and ds was 6m and they were about the same weight.
Anyway, I don't know how long you can wait--I'm pretty sure my nephew was a special case (and he was blessed at home), but I would say within the first year certainly would be fine.
My family always blessed babies at the first opportunity, but then we waited 3 months to bless our last ds because we were waiting for a time when my folks could be in town.
And like was said before, it's not a saving ordinance, it's just a nice little thing...the blessings in store for a 1mo are not going to be that different from the blessings in store for a 12mo, you know?!

#164 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I have seen a 2 year old blessed before so I don't think there is any limit. Good luck to your husband.

ETA The reason they waited so long were that the family were new members and the husband was working to get the Priesthood, it was so lovely once it finally happened.
#165 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Yep, I've seen a 3 or 4 year old blessed, at the same time as his 18mo brother. The family had just either been baptized or reactivated, and chose to bless both kids at that time. I really don't think there is a limit.
#166 of 170 Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Some people like th elong gowns for boys too, although that's not so common in the LDS church, it's done elsewhere all the time.
A generation or two ago, they had as many long gowns for boys as girls. I smocked a gown for ds (the only smocked gown I ever made). I started before he was born and didn't know if he was a boy or girl. I made it "less feminine" but it was still beautiful enough that I used it for dd after him. I've crocheted one dress, my sis crocheted one dress, and I smocked one dress. He was very sweet in the dress.

Everyone thought it was very cool and traditional. I made it just past his toes. He was about 2 mos. old. I didn't want it yards long ...
#167 of 170 Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:

My DH was blessed when he was 18 months old. I just asked him if he knew a maximum age, and he doesn't think there is one. But he doesn't know for sure.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#168 of 170 Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I just started this thread on time with the Lord. I posted it outside the LDS thread because I wanted as many ideas/thoughts/perspectives as I could get. I feel I am really lacking of recent in this arena. Anywho if you have any thoughts/suggestions please post!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#169 of 170 Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
Yep, I've seen a 3 or 4 year old blessed, at the same time as his 18mo brother. The family had just either been baptized or reactivated, and chose to bless both kids at that time. I really don't think there is a limit.
Yup. Both of my copies of the missionary handbook are completely AWOL, but I know it talks about it, and it specifically mentions that toddlers may sit in a chair to be blessed. I doubt a kid old enough to be baptized would be blessed, but I don't think that's any worry for Kari!

Monkey (31) + Pirate (29) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird
(8/12), our long-awaited first, one
(9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy
(10/6/14)

PCOS
#170 of 170 Old 05-01-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Our May thread is up and ready to go!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page