Recommend a Daily Devotional Book - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you point me to a good daily devotional book? I'm not Christian or otherwise religious. I have Until Today by Iyanla Vanzant but I find that to be on the side of believing in God = Good/the Holy Spirit and sometimes, it's a bit much. I just need something that gives a thought for the day, something that spurs you to think, change, grow spiritually and emotionally. Buddhist thought and philosophy often resonates with me. I gravitate LoA/universal laws and principles. I have Meditations to Heal Your Life by Louise Hay--something along those lines but done for each day of the year. Any suggestions? TIA.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM

I'd like to know too. Right now I am on a Jewish path but people always ask and I usually recommend the Bible because that is what inspires me. I read the Torah first thing in the morning and right before bed. It helps me to have a peaceful and focused day and I sleep better after reading. Makes me positive.

I have a friend who is struggling with christianity so I would love to recommend something "non-religious" for her.

: Subbing to see if anyone has any ideas.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM

I like:

The Celtic Spirit
daily meditations for the turning year
by Caitlin Matthews

It's a nice daily book. I've used it for a half dozen years now. Each day has a quote or line of song, a longer paragraph or two about the theme of the day, and a meditation or activity that ties into that theme. It's generally "spiritual" in tone and aimed primarily at pagans or individuals interested in British Isles spirituality/myth/tone. Matthews and her partner write extensively in that field btw.

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Spirit-.../dp/0062515381 lets you "look inside" the book. I also have her Celtic Devotional but that book helps you create a much more detailed "daily practice" and isn't (I think) the sort of book you want.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM

:

User Tag List