I left my church. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a few weeks ago about the problems at my church. We decided late last week to leave. Of course, we're also planning a move to North Carolina in the near future, so that made the break now easier. There are a couple of tasks we agreed to do - such as DH ordering a new computer for the sanctuary - that we still will complete, but we're not going back for any services.

The final straw for me was when I sat in on our version of children's church with DS. He just aged into the program in January, and I hadn't been down with him. He'd asked DH to go a couple of times, and DH said he didn't care for it. When I went down, it was just not what I think is appropriate. The story was something my 3YO cannot understand told in language he doesn't get - "resurrected" and "communion." He just doesn't have a frame of reference for those terms, and I *thought* children's church and SS was more about "teaching" those concepts. Just saying "they had communion" or "and then they believed in the resurrection" isn't really getting through to him.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. Part of me is very sad. We told our minister Saturday and our board president Sunday. I cried about it Sunday afternoon because although I know it's the best thing to do, it still feels like giving up.

I don't know what we'll do when we move. DH said that if we go to church again, he'll be much more reserved and skeptical. Our mantra for years was "God, please save me from your followers," and that's kind of how I'm feeling again. Spirituality is important. Service is important. I'm not so sure about "church" right now.

Brandi

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#2 of 3 Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 AM

I remember your last post, and your frustrations. Your post sounds so sad!

That is tough, but you know that you can be spiritual, and of service without working within the confines of a church. And it's hard to find the right spiritual situation--I still haven't. You're not alone...
#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
Our mantra for years was "God, please save me from your followers," and that's kind of how I'm feeling again.

Brandi
Maybe a new mantra can be, "God, help me be my best today and surround me with people that also desire my best."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page