Feng Shui (includes links to old threads!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 746 Old 09-28-2003, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
i.e. a silver tea tray, cool old clothes from the 40's/50's, a tea set, mis. knickknacks.... you get the idea....

Go to home depot or office depot or whatever and get a brand new plastic bin with a lid... and put them in it and put it in your garage. Nice, tidy and saved. They are too valuable to ditch. They belong with you. Just really tidy.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#62 of 746 Old 09-28-2003, 11:51 PM

Trabot- I actually didn't do anything in my angel section yesterday, that was where I was all day today. I do have a picture of him there by coincidence. On some level I think it has to do w/ how he felt about clutter when he was alive. He was always a neat freak so to speak. I don't know if there is a connection or not but it was nice either way.
#63 of 746 Old 09-29-2003, 04:09 PM

Well, I cleaned out under my bed, picked up the clutter in our room and did a bunch of cleaning throughout the house. Got rid of a box full of clothing and books that I've been meaning to donate for months now. I did all of my cleaning on Saturday and felt really good about the changes I made. Unfortunately, on Sunday my dog, who had just recovered from surgery to remove a barbeque skewer that he ate, got hit by my neighbor's car. My dog is basically O.K., but this has set into motion a bunch of events that have made me feel even more out of control (for example having to change bandages, give medicine and carry a 120 lb dog up and down stairs w/dh so dog can relieve himself). I know that one day of cleaning up clutter cannot work miracles, but I just wanted to vent a little bit.

On a better note . . . just before I started cleaning up in the relationships/marriage portion of our room on Saturday dh and I had a big fight about a car that he wants to buy. I went upstairs to clean in the bedroom and got rid of a bunch of stuff that was cluttering the marriage corner of our room. After a bit both of us were in our kitchen apologizing. We worked out the fight and I couldn't help but feel that I had somehow changed the energy in the house by clearing up those spaces .

After that lengthy post I had a question. . . Our house is a long rectangle 3 levels with the stairwell in the center of the house where the health/children portion of the bagua falls (I think). Is this bad? I know that I can't get rid of the stairs, but I could hang things on the walls at the landings maybe? With us ttc and so many problems with our pets' health (the dogs are part of our family thus kind of like kids) I just wondered if the stairs were some sort of obstruction?

Thanks for listening!

Michelle - Mom to 3 very wonderful and very active boys   
#64 of 746 Old 09-29-2003, 08:23 PM

Ok I know I'm probably gonna get stoned for this one but here goes anyway:

Its taken me 3 days to read through all these posts and I was so excited to "feng shui" my house, so i go to the library today and the only decent book they have is "Lillian Too's Easy,168 steps to...blah, blah" -I dont remember the rest. So i read it today. I'm sitting there the whole time thinking,"what is this...i have to always sit facing these directions, and take all my frogs out of the kitchen, and only put this and that facing SW..." Well, it sounded like a bunch of superstitious mumbo-jumbo instead of the pratical info I've been reading on the threads. I dont say that to offend anyone, maybe my limited understanding wasnt ready to recieve all that info just yet. I know that your surroundings play a big part in your health and the energy you send out in the universe, and I know that clutter and disorganisation can cause havok on your mental well being, but I dont want to adopt a bunch of superstition into my mindset. Am i missing something? Am I just hopeless, or maybe there is a better book for me?
#65 of 746 Old 09-29-2003, 08:50 PM

Quote:
or maybe there is a better book for me?
Definitely!! I understand L. Too follows the compass school which is much more complicated than form. You would do well to start with Karen Kingston's Clear your clutter with Feng Shui & Terrah Collins' The Western Guide to Feng Shui for Prosperity. I have just read both of these (as well as all Trabot's advice ) & feel I have a good basic understanding now. I'm sure I'll still have some questions about specifics, but nothing like I had before.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#66 of 746 Old 09-29-2003, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Gaiamom, please return Lillian's Too's book the the library IMMEDIATELY.

Yes, I agree..Too is too overwhelming and too..well too Too.
It is too mumbo jumbo etc... I started in feng shui in form school. Momma2nicola is right, go to those books. Also, they are indicated at the begining of this thread.

I switched to Compass school some time ago but I have to rely on my feng shui consultant to help me through it... Form school was where I got my start and it worked for years... it is more pracitcal and simple to understand and really very, very manageable..

Too can make a grown man cry. REmove that book immediately. Interlibrary loans can be arranged for the other books. Don't give up..just remove Lillian Too.

#67 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 01:04 AM

hi there
i just recently started to lurk on this thread and i am very interested in f.s., i can't wait to get my hands on the clear your clutter book.
i have a couple of questions about f.s...
i live in a condo building and was wondering where "my front door" is... is it the main entry where everyone comes in or is it my door?
also does accummulated stuff "count against" you if it is not stored where you live? like if it is stored in a detached garage or storage unit?

tia for any advice
#68 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

bowentherapist,
go off the front door of your place. not the main entrance.

but you should look at the whole building with a feng shui eye....like if there is a pool in the back and if it weakens the chi.. etc.. but don't get too lost in that now. Just focus on your place and work out from there.

I don't count my storage unit in my feng shui. It is about 10 miles from my home. not that it has to be that far.. the storage unit in the car port below the building doesn't count. in my opinion.

bytheway, i know when I switched to compass my fs consultant used the address for input..the number was 569 which added up to 23 which meant 5..which meant something that I can't remember now...but that is compass.

I suggest you go for form school. good luck.

#69 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone for not giving me a beatin' for knocking Lillian Too Im going to take your advice and request the "Clear your clutter" book. I've already started in the kitchen (since that's where I spend most of my time) and I feel much better not having to look at our "piles" anymore.
Trabot, so going by the advice you gave bowen I think I might be looking at the house wrong: We have 3 entrances into our home--1 in the kitchen, which is the only door we've ever used, and 2 on opposite ends of our living room. One of the doors in the living room is technically the front door but If you pulled up to my house you would have to walk all the way around the house to get to it. The kitchen door however is closest to the parking area (and yes i often feed other people and they never make it past the kitchen: ). So which door is 7, 8, or 9? And tell me again, i know i've heard you say it before, what you do if one of your areas is missing?

I want to thankyou for all your wonderful advice on these threads. You have helped me tremendously and many others as well. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and spirit with us
#70 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Banned

I would recommend "Creating Sacred Space With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. I'd recommend "Sacred Space" by Denise Linn (she's woo-woo but so soulful)

I think you (gaiamom in particular but editorially you) need to remember not to take it too seriously. Feng Shui is the codification of what a culture has observed and put into practice over the course of thousands of years. Many other cultures have their vresions of feng shui. Sometimes these feng shui schools of thought conflict with one another, this could be because they address different geographies or address the collective conscious of different peoples. You need to trust your own self to affirm or dismiss different aspects of feng shui (or anything else for that matter.)

Oftentimes (and I feel like a broken record (anyone else old enough to know what that means?) about this point) people *intuitively* put feng shui concepts into practice, trust yourself and what resonnates within your own spirit and don't worry about the rest.

Some of it *will* be Chinese old wives' mumbo-jumbo.

Debra Baker
#71 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 09:35 AM

Hey guys! I just wanted to share a little "success". Over the weekend I decluttered like crazy! My main focus was the wealth area. Yesterday my brother called me and told me that he had an offer for the property that we inherated from our dad. We have been trying to sell this property for over a year and even had a deal fall through 10 months ago. So we are already seeing the fruits of our labor!
#72 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ditto on everything Debrabaker said. I agree.

Gaiamamma; I think I would use the front door, the true living room front door. Even if it is not your number one. I think the books you get will say the same thing...please double check. But I think it is that door for the entrance.

If there is something cut out... here for example..
x = house
y = yard
g = garage

xxxyyyyy
xxxyyyyy
xxxxxxgg
xxxxxxgg
xxxxxxgg

so you see this example has a corner cut out.
so you would need to anchor it withsomething.

A= anchor

xxxyyAyy
xxxyyyyy
xxxxxxgg
xxxxxxgg
xxxxxxgg

does that make sense?

#73 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 01:58 PM

What do you ancor things with? We are missing a chunk of our knowledge section on all three levels. Any ideas of what we can do for an ancor? The area would be to the right of our front door and eventually will be landscaped. Thanks!
#74 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

How about a tree?

what is the biggest tree you can transplant? Would that work?

#75 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Banned

When you landscape in that corner keep in mind "knowledge" and incorporate this into your plans.

It could be plants or trees you would associate with knowledge or even statues or stones with verses included. It could even be a statue of a child reading a book.

You can also place mirrors on the wall facing the "missing" corner of your house. You could also place a crystal in the window (or one of those gazing balls? in the garden?)

A lot of this is intent and the love you put into it

db
#76 of 746 Old 09-30-2003, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A lot of this is intent and the love you put into it
beautifully said.

my own additional thought is that I was leaning towards a tree because of the fact that it is a 3 story building...it makes me think something a bit bigger than usual might be important... also, a flag pole and have fun putting up a 'knowledge' kind of flag..underneath the US if you want...

but again, intent like debra says is most important.

#77 of 746 Old 10-01-2003, 07:43 AM

Thanks for your replies. I live in base housing: so my options are severly limited. Here is how my house is set up:
NY- neighbors yard
SS- storage shed
P- porch
Y- my yard
C- concrete

YYYYYYPPPPPPNY
YYYYYYXXXXXXNY
YYYYYYXXXXXXNY
YYYYYYXXXXXXNY
XXXXXXXXXXXNY
XXXXXXXXXXXNY
XXXXXXPPPPPNY
XXXXXXCCSSSNY
PPPPPPCCCCCNY
CCCCCCCCCCCC

Does that make any sense at all? Our houses are all joined together like big townhomes. So i think i have 2 areas missing: Also, we'll be moving in 5 mos. so I dont want to spend too much money "fixing" all the bad stuff, just trying to do what i can, ya know.

eddited to fix where the computer messed up my pretty little house drawing
#78 of 746 Old 10-02-2003, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I can't say what the baquas are that you are missing because I don't know where the front door is....

but I know you need two anchors.
A=Anchor

AYYYYYPPPPPPNY
YYYYYYXXXXXXNY
YYYYYYXXXXXXNY
YYYYYYXXXXXXNY
XXXXXXXXXXXNY
XXXXXXXXXXXNY
XXXXXXPPPPPNY
XXXXXXCCSSSNY
PPPPPPCCCCANY
CCCCCCCCCCCC

where is the front door?

edited to add: When I first did this the grid lined up perfectly but when it posted it kind of lost its straight edge. I think though it still should make sense.

#79 of 746 Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 PM

Yeah when i first did it my grid got all screwy too

Where i have the porches, there are the doors into the house. The first porch at the top is technically the front door. And what type of anchors could i put out on concrete: Preferably something my kids wont fool around with:
#80 of 746 Old 10-03-2003, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

If the front door is on the upper porch than that means the anchor in the top left corner is for the angels/helpful people baqua.

I think a little statue would be nice. Or a little angel. Or something spiritual in nature. My girlfriend has a ceramic tile of the blessed mother of guadalupe in her angel area..it is a patio. But a francis of assisi could be nice. or even a yard buddha..or something small. like an angel. But it doesn't need to be spiritual...just something that brings in helpful people. Whatever you deem such. Let your creativity guide you.

the lower right anchor is for the abundance and wealth bagua. So, I would consider a nice fountain. Make your own. Like I said a pump from home depot is about 20 bucks and you can find some nice old pots. Maybe paint them purple or gold. Just put something in there that is abundant in nature. YOu could put a windmill thingy..something to bring in some energy.

Maybe some nice banners....

by the way... measure that top line in your house. Your front door has to be in either work or knowledge baqua based on the graph you drew up.

#81 of 746 Old 10-03-2003, 07:38 PM

OK, jumping in from out of the blue here...

I was reading thread #1 and came across this:

Quote:
you know...just so this is clear.
in form school.....

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

see that above?
imagine your whole house under that numerical grid. evenly spaced.

relationship is the 3 area

might as well go over the rest.
1 is wealth
2 is fame
3 is relationship
4 is family
5 is health
6 is creativity
7 is knowledge
8 is work
9 ishelper/angels...
IF I am standing at 8 looking into my apartment (is that right?):

1 - my sewing desk
2 - kitchen/always piled high with dishes and a dirty floor
3 - litter box (oh my, that explains SO much)
4 - fabric storage, dresser, blank walls
5 - a mirror, facing the entry way (omg, major feng pas?)
6 - my drawing table piled high with untouched scrapbooking photos etc and a TV. OH MY.
7 - bed, dreamcatcher
8 - cluttered entryway, facing aformentioned mirror. egads.
9 - dh's and my computer desks and cluttered shelves and drawers

I am moving into a new house at the end of month, I am glad I found these threads. I will be sure to feng shui my new house. I am doing th major declutter now, before moving. It feels so good to let go of old stuff.
#82 of 746 Old 10-03-2003, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

barefoot...yeah, de clutter that stuff... I found my head spinning when I read your current status...and by the way, my house like all of ours with toddlers can go to hell fast tooo so no judgements here.

in the meatime go to all the previous threads. You'll have a good leap on your new place.

good luck.
happy dumping

#83 of 746 Old 10-05-2003, 01:45 AM

was i correct standing at #8 looking at it?

I will definitely be reading the threads and as soon as I hit town i am going to get a library card and take out a bunch of feng shui books. It's a small house, so will need to be laid out carefully. is a porch part of the house? (or is that info going to be found in the other threads? )

I am so stoked about the new place! my only issue may be my mom, who has her own definite ideas about the house renos...(she owns it ). Thankfully she does have a very good eye for design. Very classy, lots of wood and rich colour - no fake flower arrangements and garish colour schemes.
#84 of 746 Old 10-05-2003, 02:59 AM

I have looked at the bagua and corresponded the new house to it...i am confused about the entryway. when i lived in the house with my Grama years ago the front door was rarely used and the side door with porch was the main entrance. My brother lived there for years and because of his dog, the side door was also used mainly.

Now, my mom says there's a veranda off the front now, and I havent seen the house in ages, but i tell you...if i use the side entry as a main entry and align my bagua accordingly it all goes into place plink plink plink...

dd's pinker than pink bedroom in the relationship zone; edit to add - but what about all of dd's toys, dolls etc? LOL, not exactly the kind of realtionship I'd like to attract even if I WAS looking. I guess the pink colour would be the feng shui...

the bathroom (looks like it will be white with red and black accents - white claw foot tub ) in the creativity area;

my kitchen in the helpful people area -hm?-;

the living room/fireplace in my wisdom area (and I have blue couches ). I had intended my altar to be in my bedroom, but it could work in the living room so dd has access to it too as we learn together;

the other door in the family area (but I have lots of plants and wooden picture frames, we can put our family photo collection there) and also the big pine armoire...

my bedroom in the prosperity zone...i can do whatever the heck I want with this room and I will feng shui the heck out of it :LOL I could have my own personal altar here.

the wall between dd's room and mine is in the fame zone. I can paint my wall red and put the lava lamp, my candles and smudge bowl etc on a shelf there and on dd's side we could plaster it with her glow-in-the dark solar system

Also, the directional orientation of the house...is it facing the direction that the entryway OPENS to? as in, looking out the door? everything I have looked up by my birth date and time points to a colder climate (check) and North, North, North...if I am standing in my entryway looking into my home i will be facing north. Also, my lucky element is water (but too much water can unbalance me, like the ocean? LOL). I was thinking of getting fish and now I am sure I will.

anyhow, i am gettign restless from sitting here reading all eve. and I am feeling very excited about the house. I should try to correspond the house to the other entryway and see how that looks - but as it stands I can already SEE the house set up, from the side entrance. it looks fabulous
#85 of 746 Old 10-05-2003, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

what is the door that perfect strangers will go to?
what is the door that neighbors will knock on?

#86 of 746 Old 10-05-2003, 02:31 PM

Perfect strangers will knock on the front entrance with veranda

neighbours and family will knock on the side door with porch
#87 of 746 Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

how does it work with the other door?

#88 of 746 Old 10-05-2003, 04:39 PM

I will work that out this afternoon, dd is making me ricey pasta in her kitchen. I've got to go eat!

thanks for your time trabot
#89 of 746 Old 10-06-2003, 01:47 AM

OK, standing at the main/front/architecturally intended entrance:

in the relationship zone; we have a section of the kitchen (oven, rarrr) and half the porch.

in the creativity area; we have the side entrance, section of porch and kitchen nook/wall with a 'window' looking into the living room.

helpful people area (angels?) - fireplace and living room

in my wisdom area is the bedroom I think I'll take

family area; the wall/closet between bedrooms

in the prosperity zone...dd's pinker than pink bedroom LOL

in the fame/rep zone is the bathroom and part of the hallway and kitchen (fridge). I still like the white with red and black accents for this.

I will definitely draw out a floor plan and lay the bagua over it before beginning, but since I haven't seen the house in years I can't say for certain how long the porch runs and where the fireplace is (right in the corner or center wall bordering creativity and helpful people).

I was thinking of situating a fish bowl in the health zone (which is very open, the very center of a very square open little house) and getting some yellow fish.
#90 of 746 Old 10-06-2003, 09:08 PM

A little feng shui woo-woo for today!

I was pondering our poor feng shui in this aprtment and wondering about the bearing on our current miserable splitting up state of affairs... I took down the mirror that was sending all our chi out the door, for starters.

DH was crying me a river about all the clients that haven't paid up, how he has all this money tied up in all the clients who are stalling etc.

I looked up our prosperity zone, walked straight in and hung up the first purple thing I saw ... which was a purple kitty harness ... from the mobile in the center.

I kid you not, we walked downstairs to go to the pet store for boxes and my long awaited and almost given up on tax refund cheque was in the mailbox!!! wooohoooo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page