Feng Shui (includes links to old threads!) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 746 Old 12-03-2003, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I resurrect this thread? I have been wading through all of the other posts for what seems like weeks, and finally reached the end! Thanks for so much great info and success stories!

I am a little confused as it was said a bit back that porches should be included. Is this always? I have not included my porch as it is the full width of the house, and cannot be accessed from the outside, so I was cutting off at the wall on the inside of the porch, does that make sense? My house looks like this:

ppppppppp
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxooooo
dxxxooooa

o = back patio which I have anchored

If I should be including the porch, that would be very important info as my prosperity (and family and knowledge) area is in that part of my house, and would shift things all over.

Another question I have is, why keep the bathroom doors shut? I have heard this over and over, but I really like keeping mine open because it connects the kitchen and bedroom (two doors), we almost use it as a hallway, more convenient than going around the rest of the house to access the next room. It feels like the house flows better when they are open. I'm wondering if there are other ideas for this "problem" other than closing the doors.

Thanks again for all of your insight, I am really enjoying this discussion.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 746 Old 12-03-2003, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
when my thread on TAO is over, I will post, adventure..

but in the meantime, any fs moms who have't joined in on the TAO thread... PLEASE DO!!!!!

i need help.

thanks
tracy

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#123 of 746 Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

whoops... I just posted this in feng shui part 2 and I meant to post it here...

oh, well....

Very Auspicious New Moon.......

today is the first full day of chinese New Year.

Happy New Year-Wood Monkey.l

Needless to say it is a wonderful time to tackle any feng shui issues that have been sitting around un-addressed.

I got a can of gold spray paint and finally painted 3 alphabet blocks that I stole from my son. I took the three blocks that are my initials and I painted them gold and put them in the fame section of my desk.
I'm about to start a writing project and normally I use my maiden name but I'm using my full name which includes my maiden and my married and that is part and parcel why I put the squares on my desk.

\

also...this is interesting...

http://www.mothering.com/discussion...threadid=109801

happy new year.
hugs
tracy

#124 of 746 Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

adventure girl,
please pm me... I will help you..

sorry it is so late....

tracy

#125 of 746 Old 01-22-2004, 05:55 PM

Oh Tracy ... I always enjoy reading your explanations to others -- I was hoping you'd respond to Adventuregirl online, rather than by PM.

If you haven't already resolved this with her, would you be willing to do it here?

Thanks!

Luci
#126 of 746 Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lucimomster
Oh Tracy ... I always enjoy reading your explanations to others -- I was hoping you'd respond to Adventuregirl online, rather than by PM.
Me too! I was thinking that the porch should be included especially because you can't access it from outside. It's like part of the house. Am I wrong ??

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#127 of 746 Old 01-22-2004, 08:22 PM

I pm'd Tracy and am faxing her a map of my house, she said she'd probably reply here.

-Sheryl

#128 of 746 Old 01-24-2004, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

awaiting fax.

#129 of 746 Old 01-25-2004, 03:31 PM

Faxing.... sorry for the delay.

-Sheryl

#130 of 746 Old 01-25-2004, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

as always, let me post the disclaimer... I'm not a fs expert by any stretch. Just someone who has read a great deal and has had many consultations.

okay...

here's the outlay...

porch-livingroom-diningroom-2ndbedroom-outdoorpatio
porch-bedroom -closet ----kitchen closet -outdoor patio
porch bedroom bathroom-kitchen kitchen--laundry room
porch bedroom bathroom-kitchen kitchen--front door ---

well, my first instinctual thing is that it seems to me that the front door actually originally was in another location. If you look up in the top row where it says living room, and you can see that the porch is right by it...there is a door to the poor. and my guess is that used to be the original front door.

If you follow Form feng shui everything is based on the front door location. But it seems that is no longer the front door... so I guess you need to base it off the former back door which is now the front door.

It is difficult to guess what this looks like but a front door next to the mudroom and laundry room would probably need a little work. Please take a look at the book I have posted numerous times...feng shui for prosperity as they have wonderful examples....
but I'm positive if you walk into a front door you will want to hide washer dryers/ soap boxes, shoes, hats, etc.... if you could glamour it up a bit. Which must sound silly but it is your entrance. I would suggest a paper shade one of those rice paper things or maybe you maybe a lovely curtain...

in the grid

your front door is 9.... which is angels and helpful people the color is white and grey... I would put up any of your religious icons or in this area..if you walked in and found a little angel, that would be nice...

as you know you do need to anchor your relationship area (3).
as that is the porch. Think about some pairs of things in that corner. Pair or red chairs? Some flowers would be nice. Again, things that are romantic in feeling. Not too much...don't look like a gift ship.. Maybe throw a small rug.. put up photos of you and husband.

I would also 6 in that porch. which is creativity and children...I would put some play things there for the kids.. ... I would throw a white rug in that area.. I would make it playful...

On the otherside..
yes, I would include 1 & 4 & 7 within the porch.

wealth and abundance items in the 1 area, even though it is technically outside I don't think you can consider it such in this layout especially since the porch had taken away the original front door...so I would definitely work the porch into it.

Family is 4 and you would want to put some greenery in that area of the porch...

wait... yeesh.. I've gotta go to the market.. I'll come back...

#131 of 746 Old 01-25-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks Tracy! I believe you are correct on the location of the front door. The house is 75 years old and was built without excavation onto a hillside. So the wierd thing is that when you are on the front porch, you are about 15 feet from the ground, but when you go out the door at the back of our house (main entrance in mud room), you are level with the ground. It took us a while to figure out, but we think there must have been stairs up to the front porch at some time so that the real front door could be used.

I appreciate your help! Let me know about the bathroom doors!

-Sheryl

#132 of 746 Old 01-25-2004, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Back to your post...

I would definitely put knowledge items and colors down there in the 7 area of your porch..... and mind you, your boundaries do include the porches so if you divide your house into 9 parts it does include the inside..so it is not like the porch is completely 1, 4, 7. And it is not like 3 and 6 are only in the porches. They do include the inside of the house.

I t hink this makes sense... i'm faxing your map back with grid lines written on it, just to clarify.

so, in summary... you need to include the porches and you need to definitely anchor the points.
relationship is hanging out there in need of an anchor,
knowledge (7) is ineed of an anchor and wealth (1) is in need of an anchor... plus you need to expand family and creativity (4) & (6).

your bathroom off the main bedroom is the work area. I would put black accents in the bathroom. I would definitlely consider painting the door black and getting some black towels. And you must keep the toilet seat cover down. Bathrooms in the work area can be troublesome.. but do those changes and see what happens.

If you follow some of the other thread discussions and books you'll get more info on the other squares...but I think this should jump start you... get that prosperity book. It is very helpful in my opinion.

tracy

#133 of 746 Old 01-26-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to ask....

adventuregirl.. now that you've looked at the map and the grid can you see if there are some weak areas of your life that are indeed manifested in the grid. Like is the wealth area of the porch and living room cluttered, dusty a broken down item there? And how is the money and wealth?

You can assess the whole house and that will also guide you as to what needs attention....
feel like you don't have enough support from the 'universe'... then fix that helpful people/angels area...

kwim?

tracy

#134 of 746 Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 AM

Oh wonderful, thank you Tracy!

Funny that you point out that work area in the bathroom can be troublesome, that seems to be my biggest problem! I will work on your suggestions, we definitely always keep the lid down. Money and wealth could use some help, but I was not including the porch before, so I will get out there and see whats up, its really quite empty there, just a porch swing and table, I'll work with some accents and anchors. There are no real anchors on that porch other than the corner posts.

-Sheryl

#135 of 746 Old 01-28-2004, 02:14 AM

Tracy, or another Feng Shui helper...I have been trying to get a handle on the nine centers of bagua in my home. My question is, if my house is square (except for the small garage that does not have access thru the house) does the same bagua layout apply to the upstairs as in the downstairs? The book I am reading, feng shui your life, byJayme Barrett implies that each room on another floor may have it's own map...beginning at the entrance to each room: I will definately need a nap in order to keep that straight.
Our stairs are opposite the entry (but not right there!) and lead upstairs around a small landing. It is also square up there. Can I apply the same map for upstairs, or do I need to look at each room differently? I don't think so, but I wanted to be sure.
Thank you in advance. I have been learning alot and enjoying putting it to work.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#136 of 746 Old 01-28-2004, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

I asked my feng shui consultant this question awhile ago and she said that the squares on the groundfoor mirror the ones on the upstairs. Because despite the way the stairs open on the second floor, the entrance or 'mouth' to the house is the front door and that would be the starting point.
So, I would work with them being the same baguas upstairs... by the way....if when you open your front door and you go right up the stairs...that's a little funky energy that you might want to remedy.

tracy

#137 of 746 Old 01-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks for answering my question Tracy I needed a second opinion! Our house is situated so that when you enter there is a very small entry which opens to the LR on the left and dining room to the right. The stairs leading up are approximately 15 feet from the front door. So I feel good that they aren't closer, but am considering a small aquarium there. There is currently a small antique 'smoke stand' which belonged to my grandfather...I thought that was positive energy.
Unfortunately both of our bathrooms are located in the wealth sectors! We are making a conscious effort to close the toilet lids and the doors. I will also try to find something purple for in there.

#138 of 746 Old 01-28-2004, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

mom4tot... I'm just putting a nod in there for you to get the feng shui for prosperity book by terrah collins.

given you have the toilets in wealth and those stairs are close to the front door....

just take a peek at the book for some good remedy ideas....

happy new year.

tracy

#139 of 746 Old 01-29-2004, 02:26 PM

Thanks Tracy. Is that the same book as The Western Guide to Feng Shui for Properity...by same author? I am assuming it is. That is how it is listed at Amazon. Interestingly, we are doing some work in both bathrooms, staring with the upstairs one. We are repapering, some new lighting and accessories. I had a vision for the bath to really reflect nature since it overlooks the backyard. So I chose a border with pretty birdhouses, nests and eggs, some birds in blues, greens. The border is bt the same woman who makes the pretty nature cards. Perhaps I will incorporate some purple or lavendar to the downstairs bath...also a nature theme. I thought I would put a silk drape on the window, that can be pulled back for light, but closed for outdoor parties since that is the bath most guests use. Right now the window covering is lighter, kind of lacy.

#140 of 746 Old 01-29-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

it all sounds good...but here is my tiny suggestion.

this is the book I"m talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

she's got several but i think this is the one that will be most helpful. Buy one of these (I see t here are some used ones, by the way) and take a look at it before you commit to your new design.
I"m not saying that your designs are off at all I'm just saying that I would take a look at these suggestions first and then make your decisions.....

but purple, gold.. etc... I know are good.

#141 of 746 Old 01-29-2004, 08:11 PM

Thanks Tracy, that's the book! I got it. I got free shipping when I added acouple of things from my wish list. The used books were great, but with shipping ended up being the same price. And it is hard for me to get just one book...but I also bought the Decluttering with Feng Shui by Kingston and a book for my dd on fairy houses.
I will read it first and check my plan. I really like my ideas, especially the branches going up the corner with birds and nests in them. Thanks again.

#142 of 746 Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I will read it first and check my plan. I really like my ideas, especially the branches going up the corner with birds and nests in them.

i agree!

#143 of 746 Old 01-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Banned

I'm having some difficulty housewise right now because we're rennovating several rooms.

It's creating chaios and clutter and has been going on (clutterwise) for several weeks.

Does anyone (Trabot?) know how to handle the clutter and seemingly endless nature of this construction? DH has placed crap in my dining room (geographic center of the downstairs and especially our family (on the left) and children (on the right) areas. I have cleaned it except for this one pile (it is a closet orginazor) and some lumber. I asked dh what the wood was for and he said the bathroom (project we're doing when we finish the gaming room, Jeanette's room, and a hallway.....read minimum a couple of months. There's also drywall in the upstairs hallway. Cut up drywall. He has the same response drywallwise as he does the lumber.

I'm thinking the drywall and lumber should take a hike to the storage shed (back of the property) but dh will resist.

The clutter (other clutter has built up) is starting to effect my ability to keep track of things, get stuff done, and keep things generally tidy and clean (why bother when it looks like crap anyway)

I can see why clutter is so negative but don't know what to do about the rennovatin junk.

(If the powers that be think this should be a new post that's fine with me)

Debra Baker
#144 of 746 Old 01-31-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

debra, I think I would try to contain the mess as best as you can but truly, sometimes in rennovation there is not much you can do. kwim?

I would probably try to have a couple rooms that are still together and maintained. Fresh cut flowers, etc....

the only question I have is... how long do you think you are going to be going through this? One month, two?...etc...
that's where things might get tricky. imo.

#145 of 746 Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Banned

Years, trabot, years and years.

Thankfully dh started putting the closet organizer into the closet (as opposed to in the box lying on the dining room floor) and the other wood clutter is cleaned up. IOW, the dining room has been cleared of the rennovation clutter. It's really a good thing because two carpenters were here last week and they really moved things around. I am able to see the end of this phase of the rennovation tunnel. We reconfigured the house four years ago and we're finally finishing that..we refinanced the mortgage and took out equity money and have done much needed rennovations, added central air, and when what we're doing is over (finishing the middle room upstairs, finishing Jeanette's room and finishing the stairwell to the third floor) we're going to start work on the master bath (created from 'dead space' from turning the staricase around) and when we're finished that we're rennovating the hall bath.

The problem is dh has a tendency to leave things out and I guess I just need to create a place for the stuff (drywall 2X4's, etc) until it's time for that element of the work.

I feel a lot better about this with the dining room cleared. A good thing, too because I need to simplify, declutter, and have an orginized mindset because I will be doing the taxes next week!!

Sorry this is so long.

db
#146 of 746 Old 02-01-2004, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The problem is dh has a tendency to leave things out and I guess I just need to create a place for the stuff (drywall 2X4's, etc) until it's time for that element of the work.

I would agree since it is taking so long. I didn't know we are talking about years... yep, I would definitely create a space. Frankly, I think I would indulge in one of those sheds you can buy for about 200 at home depot and put it outside.... you know what I mean?

#147 of 746 Old 02-02-2004, 12:45 PM

Well, I am so glad this thread is being revived. I used to love reading all the wealth of knowledge Tracy had to give us.

As for me, I read Clear Your Clutter With Fung Shui. and just got, while not the intended book, none the less a Terah Collins book. It was at half price books. I got the Room by Room one. Hopefully it will help a bit.

I did, after reading the clear your clutter book, get really into getting rid of stuff. I started with the easiest room to clear which just happened to be our relationship area, and dh and I have been doing pretty great since then. He did put a ton of papers out there last weekend as a way to clean up which I resent, but hopefully will either bring them back into the house (that area is a porch) or finish the job.

We had some crap happen with my MIL which pretty much brought me to a halt, but things are getting better through counselling, so I hope to pick up where I left off.

Hopefuly this book will help as much as the one you have recommended over and over. I will keep looking for the prosperity one, but this will have to do until I can get that one at a discount.

Thanks again Tracy for all the wisdom you have bestowed on us.
#148 of 746 Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got the Room by Room one. Hopefully it will help a bit.

Yes, I also have that one too. The deal with T. Collins is she has so many...and a couple of her books have prosperity in the title..that's why I try to put the link up so that everyone knows which one I am discussing. But the room by room is very interesting.

Quote:
We had some crap happen with my MIL which pretty much brought me to a halt, but things are getting better through counselling, so I hope to pick up where I left off.
I can't remember, MM, if we ever discussed this... but make sure t there is no mirror in the bedroom. That can bring other people into the relationship, if you know what I mean. And my guess and this is a guess... make sure your family section is tidy. MIL is family and you don't want it spilling all over...

thank you so much for the kind thoughts.
as always... I'm not a feng shui consultant, I just play one on tv... ......just kidding...

#149 of 746 Old 02-13-2004, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

#150 of 746 Old 02-13-2004, 07:59 PM

Hi Tracy and everyone!
I want to share something that happened. I have been reading the Feng Shui for Prosperity book about changes people made in the wealth and prosperity baguas in their homes and offices. Both of our bathrooms are located in our wealth baguas. We have been doing some redecorating in the upstairs bath and it is going slowly, but well. So we may not get to the downstairs bath for a couple more weeks. The other day I took down some decorations we had hanging in the DR we had made. They are fish made out of construction paper that we decorated with sequins and had colored. We had them from the chandelier. But it was time to take them down, but I took the ones my dd had made which were purple and had lots of sequins glued to them, and hung them in the downstairs bath for fun, and because I hated to stick them away yet.
Not an hour later, my brother in law shows up at our door with gifts for the kids! My dd hurt her ankle, so my sis sent over gifts. Mark hardly ever comes over, atleast not unexpectedly in the middle of a work day!
Later that day, the woman I babysit for part time, but wasn't supposed to this week, called to aske me to sit the next day.

Just thought it was a fun story to share. I am reading everyday and learning alot. Thanks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page