Feng Shui (includes links to old threads!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Note: I just bumped up this thread today July 17, 2004----I think there might be some people really interested in Feng Shui. To those who are just now kind of ready to poke around on this subject..... read the previous feng shui threads below... read part 1 and part 2 and then read the rest of this one. I hope it is inspirational. -tracy

Okay... I decided to start a new thread because those pages on part 2 were getting a bit long and I was having a hard time keeping track of some of our stuff.

first things first....

if you are looking at this thread for the first time..and you are a bit curious about Feng Shui...please check out thread #1. I personally think it is pretty interesting read and we have had lots of responses from many others saying the same thing...

here's that link:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=30286

Then there is Feng Shui Part 2

for a continuation of the stories and feng shui travels...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=74808

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I would post this again because this is mothering dot com and well, it sort of is a mothering story..sort of...

here is the original posting
You know I just feel like posting this piece of data. I am not going to post it in TTC because it is probably too far out in the woo-woo world....but.....

I had two miscarriages before I had my son. after my last miscarriage I had a feng shui practitioner come over to my house and the first thing she said to do was get rid of the metal bed. I had a lovely turn of the century cast iron bed. She said, "Sleeping on metal is very bad for trying to conceive." She said the metal energy is bad and that I should get a wooden bed. My husband and I got rid of the bed (I gave it to a friend and had her sell it whereever she wanted...I didn't feel karmically I should earn any money from it.) Anyway, we picked out a wonderful wooden bed frame. It didn't get delilvered until October.
I got pregnant within two weeks.
I delivered a beautiful boy in July.

I have had my feng shui practitioner come to the house several times since and she has given us adjustments all over....
We do what she says with some humor but also keen interest.

just sharing.

#3 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks trabot! I am on board, I have mostly been a reader of the fs threads, but hope to get into it more soon. I am currently packing so no fs now. I will be setting up a new home the begining of November and I will really be needing help! Packing is a good start for me, as I am getting rid of even more stuff!

Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#4 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

So, here is the feng shui book from form school that I think is really clear and easy to understand with clear examples and remedies. And to me this is a great way to introduce yourself to think 'feng shui'.

I think it is a good jumping off point. I don't say it is the whole megillah but I think it has a lot of good data:

The Western Guide to Feng Shui for Prosperity

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

by the way, this is not to be confused with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
The Western Guide to Feng Shui: Creating Balance, Harmony, and Prosperity in Your Environment

This might be a perfectly fine book. I just don't have it and can't say one thing or the other about it. I am only putting it here so it is not confused with the first book. They both have prosperity in it.

Okay so now onto another book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-

/1561705683/qid=1061620798/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-4530568-8011260?v=glance&s=books

"Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

"Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. It's really inspiring!

Then there are books by Denise Linn

And for compass school feng shui, check out Lillian Too's books.
Just go to google and plug in Lillian Too and you'll see megastuff on her. For those interested in compass school.

Here is a cheat sheet graph for form school feng shui
.just so this is clear.
in form school.....

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

see that above?
imagine your whole house under that numerical grid. evenly spaced.

the baguas are broken up into the following:

1 is wealth
2 is fame
3 is relationship
4 is family
5 is health
6 is creativity
7 is knowledge
8 is work
9 ishelper/angels...

i speak in general terms. and by the way, I am only using numbers here so that it is clear...there are specific numbers associated with feng shui, but i"m not using them here.

whoops almost forgot.... this is based on the front door entrance. the front door has to be either in 7, 8, 9

#5 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

brandi,
good luck on the move and let me know if you need to fax me the layout of your house and I'll give you some thoughts.

good luck

#6 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 01:54 AM

reading.gif

love and light

#7 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:08 AM

Hi Brandi & DC,
Welcome to the discussion. I highly recommend Karen Kingston's "Clear your clutter with feng shui". It can help you see why you keep clutter & how to release it. Your example of your dh maybe needing something in the future is a prime example. She explains that if you release it all now if you don't need it, when you do there will be room for it to come back into your life (or something like that). Something to remember, though...I can't remember if it was this book or FlyLady who said you can't clear other people's clutter. They have to be ready to release it for themself or there may be hard feelings, which defeats the purpose.
Terrah Collins' "The Western Guide to Feng Shui for Prosperity"
is also a very good read, but if you have clutter issues I would definitely start with the first one.
Good for you for working on this before you move. I am finally settled in the house I plan to stay in for a long time & now I am getting rid of this stuff I've been moving around for the last 15 years : . Oh well, better late than never.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#8 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

mama2nicola:
by the way..did you make it to the chinatown area of bc for some items...I'm positive you'll find some items there... if not you can buy stuff on line...but really..vancouver should have some shops..

#9 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:18 AM

Thank you Helen for the welcome and the book suggestions! Dh really dug his heals in at first, thinking this woo woo stuff was all silly. But he really liked the results I was getting. He is a really bad packrat, he has boxes of stuff piled in the corner because he has no more room in his closet. It is an eye sore! He cleaned off his desk and finally retired his box of lego boxes and instructions that he just could not throw away. (he had dreams of some day hanging them all on the wall) I am proud of him. I am not being pushy with him, as he is very stubborn. Baby steps

Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#10 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 AM

Ok, here are a couple of things I never got answers about before:

There is a back door in the laundry room that we never (well, hardly ever) use with stuff in front of it. Should we keep it unblocked, even so?

I have come up with an affirmation that basically covers everything. Where would be the best place to put this?:
"My healthy, loving family is enjoying the abundance we are receiving"

Re: FSing the desk: How would you count the keyboard & mouse that slide under the desk on their own tray? Same as a basement :

Any idea where I'd find a store that sells Feng Shui stuff? There's nothing in the Yellow Pages. There is a huge Chinese population here, so I'm sure there's something at one of their malls (yes, they have their own!), but if I could find somewhere to call first it would help. I'd really like to get a couple of crystals to help out the wealth/abundance area. Money really is going out as fast as it comes in right now

FYI, we are still sleeping great since taking out the mirrored closet doors

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#11 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trabot
mama2nicola:
by the way..did you make it to the chinatown area of bc for some items...I'm positive you'll find some items there... if not you can buy stuff on line...but really..vancouver should have some shops..
Hey, we were posting at the same time . I have a really hard time getting out during the day with the kids for things like this. Do you think if I called the mall they could tell me if there was a store there that sold these things? What should I ask for, "Feng Shui stuff"? or should I be more specific & ask for crystals?

#12 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

I think I would keep the door free of clutter or stuff. I guess if it was my house and I never used the door, I would either totally seal it or I would keep it available to be of use. there is something about blocking it that doesn't feel right. although, you might want to check a couple books on it...if I can see check my books I will tomorrow.

I'd put that affirmation in the family area..which is your bedroom, right? Seems like a nice thing to wake up and see and to see just before you go to sleep.

Re: FSing the desk: How would you count the keyboard & mouse that slide under the desk on their own tray? Same as a basement ....yeah, I think it is like a basement...that feels right to me....

MOney going out as fast as it comes in feels like there is a leak somewhere... don't forget to anchor that wealth corner in the backyard....

317A Cambie Street, Vancouver, British Columbia
V6B 2N4 Canada • Telephone: +1-604-681-5411. ... call this place for crystals and ask them if they have some feng shui stuff.

I would think the mall will totally have stuff... that's how I do it here in LA... I load up my ds and I prowl around in the chinese malls. It is kind of fun and it is so much cheaper.

I'm so glad about the mirrorless bedroom and the good sleep!

#13 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 02:59 AM

Wow, thanks for responding so quickly . I'll definitely call the mall & see what they have. If not, I'll try the store you suggest.

Would you print up the affirmation & frame it, then? All the ones I can recall in the books were put under something in the area they pertained to.

Quote:
MOney going out as fast as it comes in feels like there is a leak somewhere... don't forget to anchor that wealth corner in the backyard....
That's the idea with the crystal until we can decide what to put there (fountain or flagpole, or both?).

#14 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Banned

I will affirm what Trabot was saying about the blocked door.

I'm having a bad morning. It's trash day and I use trash day as the clear the clutter day and it makes me irritable. I yelled at the kids mainly because they're the *creators* of much of the clutter and junk that lies around waiting to be cleared (or sneak past the clutter clearing process to lurk in the house, sigh)

Anyway, most westerners are more comfortible with the concepts of form feng shui rather than compass. (or really a combination of forms)

I have Karen Kingston's books as well as Denise Linn's books.

Denise Linn is a bit woo-woo but I really enjoy reading her books, I think she has a good heart and that good heart (intention) seems to come through her writing.

Debra Baker
#15 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

mama2nicola-----

you can make a fountain pretty cheap. 20 bucks for a pump.

think pretty big for that wealth anchor----check out some statues at home depot...

edited to add: I would frame that affirmation. It is a beautiful affirmation and deserves a beautiful frame. inmho

#16 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 10:48 AM

So nice to start with the new thread. I have enjoyed this so much.

As for anchoring an area... my wealth section (yes the money flies out before it comes in) is the patio ( I still haven't had a chance to sit down and reply to everything you said about our house) and how do you anchor it. It is looking nice (except the project that got rained out last weekend) and there are no more dead plants, thank goodness.

Is there anything special i should paint the mirror in the armoire (I can't get it out) with? CAn I just paint it to match the walls?

On a side note, it has just occurred to me that the helpful people/angels area of my house was cleared (almost completely, some of it is in anothere room) two weeks ago and the week after I had a total breakdown. I was thinking about my brother constantly (he died when I was 12) and crying all the time. Do you think this is related? It got better on Friday after I went to see my Homeopath.

I have to start getting back to clearing again. I was bowled over last week with the emotions and couldn't get anything done. I probably should skip over some of the things I want to do and go to the relationship area... because that just kind of sucks lately. Why can't men be more like women sometimes. LOL

Thanks again to Trabot... our resident expert/knowledgable person. You are invaluable.
#17 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 12:03 PM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#18 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 01:04 PM

So, what do you do if half a room is in one quadrant and half in another. Our half bath is 1/3 in angels 2/3 in work. The master bath is half in creativity half in health (that could explain a lot). another bath is half in work half in knowledge.

The other thing is that either I cut off a closet in my son's room and disregard it or i have to add a small space in our garage for the angels area, thus also adding a garden on the other side of the front door. The laundry room and closet jut out a bit into the garage making the front of the house not quite as even across as I thought.

it is kind of

~XX~~~

THe x's are the jut out.

Any thoughts?
#19 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Musicalmomma:
regarding your brother...did you put up a photo of your brother in the helpful people angels corner? I would definitely put that up..maybe a little, shrine to him... although that is a heavier sounding word than I mean. But you know a few things that remind you of him with some photos..... he might want to be helping you from the other side....kwim?

by the way...I don't know how old your kids are..but is there a boy around the age of your db's age when he died? Could be stirring up stuff....

armoire...sure, paint the mirror the same color of the walls.. or the color associated with that baqua.

when you have to anchor those things outside..you know what I mean by anchoring.... I believe we discussed this pm, right?
but basically..

if X is house and Y is yard or something/patio/porch..

like this

XXXXYYYYY
XXXXYYYYY
XXXXYYYYY
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX

See how the Y's sort of snip out a corner of the square.

so what you would want to do is put in an anchor.
A = ANCHOR

XXXXYYYYA
XXXXYYYYY
XXXXYYYYY
XXXXXXXX

An anchor could be a fountain or a flag pole, or maybe one of those twirling things like an artistic pinwheel thingy.. or one of my favorites..a statue. Like a St. Francis, or a buddha or a something... just something to anchor the corner. so that baqua isn't hanging out there with its butt in the air.

i'm no expert..just a vocal broad who has been doing it for awhile..

hmm, you know why don't you consider the closet which seems to stick out as basically an addition to the baqua..that baqua is just a bit bigger... I don't think you should extend the whole line of the house for just a closet. If it was entire room t hen I probably would extend the line..but not for a closet. But at the same time, I wouldn't discount the closet either. just extend that baqua..would be my feeling.... I haven't checked the books. If you have any of the books yet, please see if they address it.

as for some rooms getting divided by different baguas, that happens all the time...just one wall will be one area and then the rest of the room will be the other area... you put the appropriate images, colors, etc to the sections of the room.

#20 of 746 Old 09-23-2003, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Lilirose:

yeah, you can't do much about toilets. Except make sure they don't run, they don't have leaks. Keep the lid down as much as possible and keep the bathroom door shut.

you might also want to put up a f.s. mirror on the door so when it is shut you see the mirror on the door. your attention is drawn to that.

here is a link to some mirrors....also others might like looking at this thread for other items.

http://www.lightstones.com/mirrors.html

On my own bathroom I didn't put up a fs mirror I went to ebay and put something like this up..but in the appropriate color. In your case the mirror should have red somewhere, maybe the frame.
mine is sort of like this:

http://www.findgift.com/gift-ideas/pid-17808/

don't forget to put up some kind of affirmation or something that would be appropriate to husband's work up on the wall. kind of like advertisting for the universe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page