~May 2008 Pagan Mamas~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Morning and Happy Beltane! I thought I'd start the thread, since I might not be so active next month, with little babe around.

Our plans for the day:

I was going to wash my face in the dew, but it's hovering around freezing, so I think I'll pass on that. Any dew is likely more frost.

Pancakes for breakfast

We're making May Day baskets, but since not many flowers are out yet, we're filling them with nature treasures in general (dd1 found a tree that is just starting to sprout leaves)

We're making some kind of treat (either cookies or cupcakes I think) to take to our fairy circle in the woods and have a tea party near our fairy houses.

We'll probably dress up and read some books too.

Oh, and I usually try to put together some kind of maypole thingy... I don't know if I have enough wide ribbon though.
#2 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Happy Beltaine everyone!!! Unfortunately DW is working extra this week and all weekend so it looks like it will just be a celebration for one. Although I'm hoping to attack her tonight!

-Rachel

#3 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM

well, i am unpartnered and i'm not willing to go snag someone just for beltaine, so i'm just going for fertility for the land

i think in a bit, i will go out and procure some ribbons and sparkly things to dress up the trees and bushes. :

dunno what's for dinner. any ideas? we are omni. i have an organic roast thawed. i was thinking crockpot, but maybe for tomorrow. i think later i will gather some wild food for salad-- i know we have dandelion, i think chickweed, mint, plantain, dunno what else; i will have to go out and see!

happy beltaine!

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#4 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Can't believe it's May already. Wow.

My back is up and down still, sigh.

Hope everyone has a great day, I have no plans except laying on the couch reading.
#5 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 AM

: Happy May Day all! :

I plan to spend some time in our woods today- just me and the woods. On Earth Day I took a walk in there and found tons of garbage (why do people think any slope= garbage pit?), so I have decided it is my job to focus on cleaning it up. In the afternoon, the girls and I will put up the prayer flags and make flower crowns. We're all in the mood for lamb pot pie, so that is what I'm making for dinner. Hmmm, what about dessert? Not sure yet...

: Bleassings of Flora and the Jack in the Green to you all.

ETA: You know I can't resist links:

A Celebration of M A Y D A Y by Mike Nichols

Weather Doctor/ Celebrating May Day

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#6 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM

It's really really cold here...: Like, it was freezing last night. And it's not like I live in northern Canada or something, it ought to be warm by now in Pennsylvania.

I'm very excited about the weekend. I'm going to run errands and get the kids packed up for tomorrow. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#7 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Happy May Day, everyone.

I am so proud of myself, got myself over here and hunted up the new thread on the first day (after spacing on it a couple months).

Not much going on today, as I am in the office all day. But ds and I checked my tomatoes and they seem to be hardy despite two days of frost warnings.

Going to play outside and dance around a maypole this weekend. Can't wait!

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#8 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Happy Beltaine!

I've been singing from the song Halantoe this morning. It's one of those songs that you can't get out of your mind.
Hal-an-toe,
Jolly lum-a-loe.
We were up,
Long before the day-o
To welcome in the summer.
To welcome in the May-o.
For summer is a-comin' in
And winter's gone away-o.

Enjoy the day!

(I'm trying to keep my mind off sad stuff today. Trying.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#9 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
I was going to wash my face in the dew, but it's hovering around freezing, so I think I'll pass on that. Any dew is likely more frost.
LOL! we have no dew here... unless you count the water left on the plants after i water... i cant remember the last time we had rain! it's been so parched.

salvia-- thanks for those links! i read some fun stuff a while back.... speaking of-- did anyone see my post about the may bush? i'd love to do one, but i just cant find anything to cut! (mesquite just doesnt really seem right...) boo. i'm really longing to live somewhere with "real" plants.

our sweet peas are BONKERS, though. i send you all virtual bouquets of them! that's about as close as i'm going to get to doing may baskets this year, though i am remembering how grandma and i would go out and cut arm fulls of sweet peas on may day, make paper "baskets", and take them to the "shut-ins". sigh. the woman really was a delightful pagan disguised as a methodist.

i wrangled myself some alone time last night and had me a little ritual. very nice.

have a wonderful day, all!
:
#10 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Happy May Day! It was (is) cold and gloomy here too, but we had fun a'maying this morning...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatc...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatc...n/photostream/

(pictures of the may pole at the little pre-school... we went with my "ribbons and tree" idea, but it will get taken down tonight since the "ribbon" I brought was actually crepe paper and it's supposed to rain. Ah well, don't want our toddlers being too fertile, now do we?)

We'll be having a yummy dinner tonight, and working on our family ribbon goddess... I wanted to do the project last night but it was SUCH a rotten day I just didn't want any of that energy staying around.

I tried to gather dew this morning but it was...well... frozen.

Have fun!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
working on our family ribbon goddess...
Clay, can you give more details on this?

-Rachel

#12 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Clay, can you give more details on this?
Was going to ask the same thing.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#13 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 PM

Sure! It sort of relates to this...

Quote:
On Earth Day I took a walk in there and found tons of garbage (why do people think any slope= garbage pit?), so I have decided it is my job to focus on cleaning it up.
Our new property is full of slopes and was a short term rental for about 7 years so there are LOTS of "surprises" in the woods left by people who only lived there for a month or two (so they had NO stake in keeping things healthy). Piles of burnt books and melted beer bottles, heaps of rusty cans, several tires, a half buried bat of insulation, etc. I've been trying to take a garbage bag out into the woods every morning with the girls... Laia plays and I gather garbage. I figure that at the speed of one bag a day (or every other day since the weather is still twitchy) the woods will be trash free by this coming winter. Slow but sure, right?

Anyway, I found the metal hoop from the top of a big metal drum/barrel. It's about a foot and a half across. I didn't find the barrel, just the hoop, and for some reason I didn't want to throw it out... it just seemed like there was something it could be used for. And then I had this image of a ribbon goddess similar to the goddess project in Celebrating the Great Mother. One of the Beltain crafts in that book is for each member of the family to build a "goddess figure" out of this and that, parade them around the house, and then "plant" them in the garden as a cross between a fertility blessing and a scare crow. And I had a mental image of the hoop covered in ribbons, transformed from garbage to goddess and blending the energies of the woods with that of the house.

My plan is to take the metal hoop and loop ribbons over it so the ends of the ribbon flutter free all around the hoop... sort of like a wind sock maybe? We're all coming up with blessings and promises to write/draw on the ribbons so the wind will lift those thoughts out and over our land. I'll also "weave" wire back and forth across the opening sort of like a spider web, hanging beads, bells, and other bits to catch the wind/sun. Going with the "garbage to goddess" fertility theme I'm using some of the trash I collected to do this... there were piles of rusted nails and weird melted glass blobs and small stones from the stream that I'm wrapping with wire to hang with the beads and bells. Sort of blending all the things I've found into something new/sacred/healing.

I'm thinking we'll hang it from a branch where the woods begin (about 15 feet behind our house). I'm planning on building a small family altar/circle there and this is the first step.

It may turn out pretty ugly, but I promise to post pictures once it's done!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM

oooh, i love it! sounds kind of like the may bush idea.

jumping ahead a little bit, but i wanted to share these two fun ideas for taurus new moon rituals.... both are venus-related... both sounded fun!

this one... which she says to do the 4th or 5th

and, this one.... which it sounds like should be done tomorrow! not sure i can find flowing water (freeee wa-wa!) without a long drive, though....
#15 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Oh Clay, I can't wait to see the pic of these. What a wonderfully creative idea!!!!

-Rachel

#16 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I'm thinking we'll hang it from a branch where the woods begin (about 15 feet behind our house). I'm planning on building a small family altar/circle there and this is the first step.

It may turn out pretty ugly, but I promise to post pictures once it's done!
I think it'll be gorgeous! Happy May Day friends :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#17 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Happy Beltane!

We spent a good portion of our day reinventing our homeschool plan.. a rebirth of sorts if you will.

LOL..eilonwy! I live in Canada (tho not Northern Canada) and we didn't get frost this morning. The day belied the weather forecast tho, its been sunny most the day! Yay!
#18 of 567 Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM

Yeah, it finally got sunny but it was still unseasonably cool for Mayday.

I suppose I should introduce myself.. I just kind of jumped in. I'm Rynna, and I have four children and a Michael (as listed in the sig). I'm a Jew by birth, and have been practicing Chaos Magick for a loooooong time... though I didn't have a name for it until about a year and a half ago. I do all sorts of things, ritual-wise, and right now I'm on my way out of a really really really rough patch. As many people do when they experience such an upheaval, I'm doing some spiritual growth things. Insanity and depression and miseries make an awful lot of people devout... but devotion to faith means something a bit different to a Chaote.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#19 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 AM

Clay that's a great idea - I can't wait to see the pics.

Happy May ladies! Dd and I made candles at 1 am and they are lit up on the altar as I type this. We made two kinds of oat cookies and they turned out nice.

It's been a long time since I did anything too specific, but I am taking advantage of this sabbat's energy and a new candle to hopefully help calm or otherwise help some stormy times for my Dh and I and our marriage. I'll be carving some things into it and printing out some things etc. It sat in the sun all day and hopefully it soaked up a lot of good vibes.

I am exhausted and tomorrow is kind of busy so I hope to get some good rest. Peace all.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#20 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Happy May everyone! I completely missed posting yesterday since I spent the entire day prepping for another event this weekend. (Neverending process that is!)

Hope you're all having lovely sunshine!
#21 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Happy belated MAy day everyone. I hope everyone had a great time. We had lumpkin's first birthday "party" yesterday (because sister and dh were going to go to a concert today... but it was cancelled!) it was loads of fun.
I lOVE mesquite. Do you live in the southwest? I think we have loads of real plants here. LOL
I have been discovering that if I try and go by European seasons and ceremonies here in the SW I just get bummed. This year one of our BIG celebrations will be welcoming the monsoon season. Maybe with a shower in the rain. LOL Right now we have been in "spring" since Feb. and are hopping right into summer with temps already in the 90's.
I went and bought LOADS of cut flowers. So it smells like heaven here in the house (we got them for Lumpkins party).
We are going to a farm tomorrow afternoon/evening to see a movie called "The real dirt on farmer John" and have a BBQ.
Much love you May goddesses!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#22 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Ugh I'm getting so sick of this cool weather. Where is the heat we should have by now?
#23 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Happy birthday to Lumpkin! Enjoy the fair!

#24 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Happy May pagan mamas!!!

I was full of May blessings yesterday...the kids & I rolled around in the pretty pink blooms and I hung diapers. http://greenleesforest.blogspot.com/ No pictures of the rolling though.

What a beautiful month!!!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#25 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I'm on my way out of a really really really rough patch.
i'm so glad to "hear" you say that! (and you already know i "ditto!" the hardtimes=spirituality...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
I lOVE mesquite. Do you live in the southwest? I think we have loads of real plants here. LOL
I have been discovering that if I try and go by European seasons and ceremonies here in the SW I just get bummed. This year one of our BIG celebrations will be welcoming the monsoon season. Maybe with a shower in the rain.
yep-- i'm in tucson. i love the monsoon idea. have you ever done a "monsoon garden"? i'm thinking of trying one this year.... what farm are you going to? a friend of ours's parents (um, that's awkward phraseology....) own a winery and they're having a bash tomorrow, but we dont have enough time to go for more than an hour (that's with 3 hrs of driving...) ugh-- so i think we'll go to the folk festival instead.

i'm more than happy to pack up some of our heat and send it to anyone who wants some. we have more than enough, thanks......

i'm a bit giddy from unpacking my new "camping" chair and discovering it came with its own bottle opener... go figure! might come in handy, i suppose... speaking of, dh came home the other night with a bottle of this beer... thought it might amuse!
#26 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
sigh! i love the diaper image!
#27 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM

I can't wait till our laundry line is up! Of course, I can't wait till our washer is working right either.

Right now dd1 is potty learning and completely against the notion of waterproof anything on her bed. So I have a lot of sheets that need to be laundered more or less right now. Sigh. Since we still live in the land of disco-washer I think we may be headed into town for one last coin-op visit.

Some things I don't like line dried (blue jeans!) but others (sheets, diapers, t shirts) are just divine. Mmmmmmmm. Our old house had no outdoor drying space... anything I left outside on a line turned nasty grey from the pollution. But this house! Glories! They're even thinking of putting in a wind farm about a half mile away, to give you some idea of the non-stop breeze.

#28 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 PM

greenlee, you are 42?!? you don't look a day over TWENTY two. seriously!
where do you live?
your jewelry is gorgeous. i so wish i could afford some

it's SO beautiful here in Asheville right now. it's getting warmish (70s) and very breezy and my yard is just popping out with all sorts of stuff. i'm thinking i have so little actual grassy area that i may just try to find a non-motored lawn mower again. i so hate yard tool noise. *especially* leaf blowers. talk about a waste of energy. nothing you can't accomplish with a rake and/or a broom, sheesh.

i can't wait till PSG! only 6 more weeks to go! anyone here going? it will be our 9th year this year!

so i'm officially dieting. ugh. i'm doing a couch to 5K and i'm joining a gym and i'm tracking calories online. i hate this...but i hate being fat more, especially in summer.

how was everyone's beltaine? we have ribbons adorning our trees
i'm going to a public ritual tomorrow evening, and sunday the other UU church is having the lady who's doing saturday's ritual, doing the service. so we're going there.

i've so got the beltaine fires running in my veins...this time of year i really wish i wasn't unpartnered...but i'm not willing to pick somebody up just to, you know, celebrate the old way sigh.

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#29 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM

I wish we were doing PSG... my SIL used to before she moved back to AK, and we keep saying "next year".

Have fun!

#30 of 567 Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 PM

Ok, I give what's PSG?

-Rachel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page