Jewish mamas and/or partners have you seen "Cut"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just watched the documentary "Cut" about circ. I found it very interesting and informative particularly surrounding Jewish beliefs about circ. Just wondering if anyone else out there has seen it and what you think. My dh is Jewish and I am not. We have been having a lot of trouble working out a mixed-marriage agreement about religious circ and conversion. I'm not trying to start a debate. Just curious about other peoples reactions to some of the points brought up by the documentary. Feel free to pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 05:15 AM

mama, I haven't seen the movie, but a friend/khevre of ours is in it (was interviewed) so I'm familiar with it. Have read about it as well.

The only thing I can say is that for me it's not an issue. I didn't have a bris for my boys because "my father did it and his father did it and his father did it ..." ... not in the least. I did it ONLY because G!d made an agreement with me each member of my family individually, and that was part of it.

If I wasn't Jewish, my sons and I wouldn't have that particular agreement with G!d and it wouldn't even be an issue. Not even a question.

I know you're got a mixed marriage situation thing going, but since you're not Jewish, and the child's Jewish heritage comes through the mother, then your child is not, by Jewish law, Jewish. And does not require a brit mila. Period.

Yes, I know that by the Reform movement Jewishness goes through the father with a nonJewish mother (within certain conditions), but that is even less of an argument to have a brit ... since the Reform movement doesn't hold with the sanctity of Jewish law ... so it's a contradiction to use "but we're Reform" as justification for insisting on upholding a "Jewish law" when it's not even a Jewish law to have a brit for the child of a nonJewish mother.

(I know that paragraph is kind of convoluted on first reading, but read it again, and it makes perfect sense.)
Old 05-04-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Actually my dh isn't reform he's conservative, and as I mentioned in the first posting he wants to convert our son...which is done first with a brit milah and then with the mikvah. He is not someone who takes his heritage lightly...in fact his father is a Rabbi...so it hasn't been a question of just circ or no circ just for the sake of it.

Also...I feel as though the documentary addresses some of the real contradictions I have found with this practice for me, and clearly for others who may be trying to investigate further why this practice is important and how they feel about it it could be a useful tool. I am not trying to tell you that your position is wrong. As I said I don't want to start a debate...I was interested in mamas who had seen the doc and if it gave them any new perspectives on brit milah.

User Tag List