Any Unitarian Universalists here? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 10-13-2003, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our UU congregation is home to some of the most intellectually stimulating, helpful, honest, loving and fun people I know.

there's always and artist or a professor or a wise old woman to talk to. We are in flux right now having lost our new minister (after a year) and are getting used to our interim minister. It's a difficult transition. We have been successful in other ventures like the new Geo Cell parking lot we just installed, as well as having recently increasing the size of the building and doing some long-needed repairs. Money is always an issue, but not a requirement for membership. kwim? I volunteer on the RE committee and help in the classroom. Dh donates food from the restaurant and we both do coffee hour, with our restaurant's pizzas, at least twice a year.
We are also always on the look out for new members. Unfortunately UUs can tend to be wishy washy about attending a service every week yk? We have a lot of members that show up just a few times a year. It's hard to form friendships with them. This is our second year, and we still have yet to regularly connect with anyone outside of Sunday or related events.

But we like to go, and so do the kids. And that is the most important thing. I am very excited about our newly fledged coming of age program.

I am frequently moved to tears during the services. Literally it feels like something is moving inside of me. Sometimes it really freaks me out lol!
#32 of 58 Old 10-17-2003, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

I agree!!!!!! I sometimes feel like it's not a very welcoming place, but then I have to remember where I am... UU's are so not pushy & overbearing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Teresa
you will not be mobbed by regular members clamoring to save your unsaved-non-UU-soul. Don't think, as many church-shoppers do, that this kind of 'welcome' means the church is not warm and fuzzy.
#33 of 58 Old 10-26-2003, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Do any of your congregations have the "Web Weavers" program?

I meet 2X a month with a group of around 8 people & we discuss a different topic each week. I totally love it. it totally helps to make connections.

Axis... how was it?
#34 of 58 Old 10-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Banned

I really like going to UU........but I wish there were more people my age (most of them are older).
#35 of 58 Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 PM

UU here... in Bermuda. There are no UU congregations here, but I'm online with the "Church of the Larger Fellowship" (distance church)
#36 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 12:13 AM

I remember another woman recommending this Church for myself and what I believe in, personally. I am being swarmed right now with a lot of fundamentalists (no offense, please) and feel as if I am drowning Reading what you are describing in this post about the UU Church really hits a lot of things I believe in right on the head.

A few years ago I did find one in my area and there is something that is holding me back. Maybe I am scared of being disapointed : ...as i have been in the past when I tried to 'find' a place to meet.

sorry...i am probably going off topic here...but thanks for having such a great post on the UU Church. I will see and look into the one near my place again and maybe contact them. Last time I had emailed them, they were in the mids of developing a children's program, which would be excellent.
#37 of 58 Old 10-29-2003, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck on your journey Jen!!!!
#38 of 58 Old 11-02-2003, 04:21 PM

I need to learn some more before I sign the book. I went to one service and was so at peace I just about cried with relief. The fellowship here is small, so there are no classes. Does anyone have a website or book that explains more about the UU fellowship?

TIA!
#39 of 58 Old 11-02-2003, 05:10 PM

Our UU fellowship is amazing! I was so tired of being bible beaten by the fundies in this town, I was ready to move away! Our group is a bit older than I had expected, but they're the coolest most liberal old folks I have ever met!!
I sought it out because my kids were begging for Sunday School and I just could NOT drag myself back to Catholic Mass! At our first UU service, there were only two other kids (4 total in the fellowship!). Luckily, it didn't take more than 6 months for our group to grow into having 13 kids who attend regularly (from ages 4 - 10). Our children's RE (Religious Exploration) is taught in the one-room-schoolhouse style (which I love, love, love!) with everyone contributing to the kids' journeys.
I signed the book after a few months, because I want to be more active in the decisions. Soon thereafter, I gave my first talk ~ Unschooling and UU I call it my Unchurch
Grammas are happy on both sides, hearing about how we go to *church* and *sunday school* every week
We contribute to Heifer International every year. On Palm Sunday, the kids campaigned for the animals/plants they wanted us to buy... Hayden (then 4) was on a big Dragon kick and wouldn't accept they were not on the list (he knew how much help having one around would be) so they let him draw a Dragon on his picket sign. When the kids came in and the choices were made as a fellowship ~ the money left over was called *The Dragon Fund* and the money was sent to Ruwanda to be matched by HI. Everyone went home that day validated ~ this is why I love this *church.*
A Group of 10 Peace Circle had been started (I didn't get to attend) and at the end of the run, the women decided to continue to meet in a Peace Circle, informally, every week. I've been lucky to have found a willing husband-of-a-friend to take on my children everyweek so I can attend and bring some much needed peace into my life. It has been a powerful experience!
Wow! I didn't mean to ramble quite so much Maybe it's the guilt of sleeping in this momrning but I really think it's because I've found my niche!
Jen~ I recommend you check it out, a few different weeks even. It's rarely the same church twice and it *is* worth the peek!
~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#40 of 58 Old 11-03-2003, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.uua.org

Im pretty sure if you have questions, some of us may be able to help answer them for you!

Good Luck Mama!

Quote:
Originally posted by ElizabethMcKeeman
I need to learn some more before I sign the book. I went to one service and was so at peace I just about cried with relief. The fellowship here is small, so there are no classes. Does anyone have a website or book that explains more about the UU fellowship?

TIA!
#41 of 58 Old 11-06-2003, 12:34 AM

Me too! Me too!
I sporadically attended UU church for a couple of years as a child (during visitations with my Dad) so I knew vaguely about the doctrine. I wanted my kids to have a well rounded religious education, so I looked for a UU church in our area last year and found one in St J VT, a 1/2 hr away. I can't tell you how happy I am that I did! I love our teeny 40 member community! This is the first group religion experience I've had as an adult and I'll tell you I'm hooked. It feels so good to fit in somewhere spiritually, and I can't believe how well it just clicked - I knew right away. The kids had been to a Catholic church a few times with their grandfather and weren't thrilled when I told them we would be going to church, but they really enjoy it too and look forward to going each week.

I guess my biggest problem is being a non-Christian dealing with fundamentalist Christians in the community. Does anyone else ever feel a little bit judged?

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#42 of 58 Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

YES!!!!!! Holy crap, people will ask me what church I go to & I tell them & they are like "What... they don't believe in God or they are a cult."

Ugh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy in NH
I guess my biggest problem is being a non-Christian dealing with fundamentalist Christians in the community. Does anyone else ever feel a little bit judged?
#43 of 58 Old 11-07-2003, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

: Start mini rant :

Sometimes I feel torn. I grew up Catholic & I don't neccesarily believe in the bible, but I don't not believe, if ya know what I mean? I can identify with the whole image of God & heaven, I identify with Taoism, but I also connect with aspects of Buddhism.

When people ask me what I believe I feel like a idjit when I say Im a UU, then they ask what I believe as a UU & I say Im a UU with christian, taoist & buddhist leanings.

I have no idea where this came from... Iv'e just been contemplating faith alot lately.

: End mini rant :
#44 of 58 Old 11-07-2003, 09:45 AM

Well, I'm a Humanist UU, and it's my experience that only other UUs will ask what spiritual practices you follow as a UU.

Un-Unitarian-Universalists generally want to just know about UUism. So I reel off the 7 principles that the congregations aspire to.
1. Inherent dignity and worth of every person
2. Accepting each other and encouraging spiritual growth
3. Free and Responsible search for meaning and truth
4. Justice and Compassion in all relationships
5. Use of conscience and democratic processes
6. Working for liberty, justice & peace for all
7. Respecting the interconnected web

Of course, I sometimes get them out of order, but for Un-UUs that's usually enough--they'll connect with a principle or two and there will be one or two that they struggle with--or outright disagree with depending on their particular faith.

Now that my daughter's 5, I think it's time to start teaching her to memorize them!
All the posters/prints of the principals are either to 'cutesy' or too formal, though I do like the one that uses the rainbow as a mnemonic device.

What do you all do at home with the kids? The principles are really for congregations, but I think that it's one of the clearest ways to explain what our faith is about, but also good to think of as something we can aspire to all the time as individuals.

Gotta go--time for our morning nature walk.
#45 of 58 Old 11-07-2003, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I guess what I was trying to say was people ask what UU's believe. I usually just tell them about the principles & then tell them what I believe as a UU. Then I have them totally confused.

Quote:
Originally posted by Teresa
it's my experience that only other UUs will ask what spiritual practices you follow as a UU.
#46 of 58 Old 11-07-2003, 02:50 PM

I know exctly what you mean about the judgement that is alive and well here in my town, too. The kids will often talk about *church* and the fun stuff they do with their friends there and the grownups are so excited to hear that word come from my kids, they assume I've been *saved* ~ which I have, but not in the same sense! I refer to *our fellowship* and often do not mention UU at all. Not because I'm not proud, but because I don't want to fight that fight ~ again!
We have wallet cards in our fellowship that describe the 7 principles and the basis of UU faith ~ I've handed them out to my family to quell their *goat sacrifice* fears (we never schedule a sacrifice on a weekend someone's family is visiting :LOL)
Quote:
the 7 principles that the congregations aspire to.
1. Inherent dignity and worth of every person
2. Accepting each other and encouraging spiritual growth
3. Free and Responsible search for meaning and truth
4. Justice and Compassion in all relationships
5. Use of conscience and democratic processes
6. Working for liberty, justice & peace for all
7. Respecting the interconnected web
When I gave my talk on unschooling and UU, these were the examples I upheld for how I'm raising my kids. Times tables be damned, I'd prefer offspring who aspire to living these principles every day
~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#47 of 58 Old 11-07-2003, 07:56 PM

Just wanted to add something about what the Unitarians and the Universalists believed before they joined forces.
Unitarians believed in the teachings but not the divinity of Jesus and the Universalists believed that everyone was graced with salvation.

Honestly I have no idea how some of you all deal with communitites that look down on non-christians. That would drive me insane. Most ppl are surprised to find out we are not christian, but I don't usually get scoffed at for being a panthiest-UU lol!
#48 of 58 Old 11-11-2003, 04:49 AM

mamajulie, I saw a reference you made to this thread in the Talk...forum, and I thought I'd just stop in and say hi, perhaps joining the conversation a little. I'd have to disagree on the "more of a philosophy than religion" standpoint...something I preached a sermon on last year. I am a lifelong UU, and I was called to ministry a couple of years ago while working in Public Health, which led to my appointment as Director Of Religious Education at a UU church in Washington. I am beginning my second year of service as DRE and also seeking to expand my vocational education, and I am in love with the work I do. Anyway, every now and then it seems a thread comes up in this forum and we're reminded that there are many like-minded folks on these boards. It's good to see you all here.

Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#49 of 58 Old 11-11-2003, 09:17 AM

Since this thread is for UU who mostly have small children, I wanted to chime in with a song we learned at RE last week. Its sung to the tune of "Doe, A deer" from Sound of Music, its based on the 7 prinicples, and it allows small children to start getting an idea of what UU's believe:

"One, each person is important
Two, be kind in all you do.
Three, we're free to learn together
Four, and search for what is true.
Five, each person needs a vote.
Six, build a fair and peaceful world
Seven, the earth is our lifeboat,
And that will bring us back to me and UU!"
#50 of 58 Old 11-12-2003, 03:20 AM

Mamacrab--love it!
We'll start adding it to our morning circle.
Thank you!
Teresa
#51 of 58 Old 11-12-2003, 06:11 AM

Okay, since we made the hop to teaching and kids - what do you all do with a prayer at night? I've really been struggling with this. I don't want to be too deity specific, I don't want it to be selfish either, nor do I want my DD weighed down with depressing thoughts of others.

Can I say how nice it is to go to a church where "liberal" is not a dirty word? : D

(We just started singing Do a Deer, so this song is great! THANKS !!)
#52 of 58 Old 11-12-2003, 09:05 AM

Elizabeth, I've been wondering about this too, since my almost-6-year old has become interested in prayers and God. All on her own, she has occasionally begun saying a prayer before bed. This is what she said the other night, "Dear God, thank you for minds that think, thank you for hearts that love, and thank you for hands that are ready to serve." (Thats a variation on what we say when we light the chalice.)

We say this before we eat: "Thank you, Earth, for food; thank you, friends, for love."

I'd love to hear form other UU's about this. Do you teach your children to pray? And if so, what prayers do you use?

I'm glad you guys like the song- I edited it to correct a few typos.
#53 of 58 Old 11-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Sierra, interesting point. How do you make the distinction between philosophy and religion? As a gnostic, who has read Plato and reads Paul in the light of that, I wonder.

In 100 words or less, hehe!
#54 of 58 Old 11-14-2003, 04:26 PM

DaryLLL, let me give that some thought and reply a little later. I don't have much time for posting right now (we're getting ready to start our Yule Play rehearsals on Sunday), but I *will* give it some thought and post as soon as I get a chance!

Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#55 of 58 Old 11-15-2003, 10:49 PM

I finally found UU and was amazed that my beliefs actually had a name!LOL!
I've been to a UU church in my area, but I felt pressured to put my Dd in the nursery(which I didn't ). It was a very small community with mostly older people. However, there is another one half and hour away that i want to give a try. I feel that it will fit our family better.

BTW, i love this thread!
#56 of 58 Old 11-16-2003, 12:59 AM
meg

I'm jumping in way late on this thread, sorry.

DH and I recently joined our local UU church and are excited and enthusiastic about it. There is a really positive and accepting energy with the UU church which is so refreshing.

I find church to be very intense and personally emotional every Sunday but I think it's good - cleansing!

I love the song mamacrab posted and will teach it to my 2 year old ds who loves to sing "Doe a Deer."

Thanks for starting this thread!
#57 of 58 Old 11-16-2003, 11:43 PM

i was looking into joining a UU church and after reading some of the posts i am more exicted about it. we have a church in the city that we live in, its real old and there is about 40 members. just want to say hello and say that we are excited about joining.

allyn
moma to savannah 3/12/03
#58 of 58 Old 11-19-2003, 12:20 AM

I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I read "A Chosen Faith" a few years ago and have been thinking about going to a uuc ever since. When my dd was born in August this became much more important. We went for the first time last Sunday and I enjoyed it very much. I am intrested in learning more about the faith and the church in my area doesn't have another orientation class 'till spring, so if anyone can recomend any other books on the topic I would appreciate it. I will be checking out the web site mentioned earlier. Thank you all for sharing about your faith.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page