July BUDDHIST MAMMA SANGHA - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at the quaker meeting that we attended, non-parents were also willing to run first day school. my husband and i didn't because we felt we wouldn't be "right" for it, even though the quakers were supportive either way.

but, a lot of non-parents also volunteered to do childcare/education.
#62 of 68 Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
A year or so ago I was introduced to Nicheren (sp?) Buddhism (nam-myoho-renge-kyo) by my friend. It's the only kind I've been exposed to in real life and I so want to develop a practice. But, I find it hard to connect I'm wondering if I'm too "faithless" to embrace any kind of Buddhism and wondering if maybe I should move on to try to find something else that suits me. I don't know. LoL . . . well, I'm just searching I guess. For a long while, I identified as Christian, then RastafarI and while I still identify as Rasta, I still feel like Buddhism would add and not clash. Anyway, thoughts? Happy to lurk and learn.
Welcome, and no, no one is too faithless for Buddhism. My sangha leader is atheist. Depends on the type of buddhism you ascribe to, but in general it doesn't clash with much b/c one can focus on a mindful practice and, as the DL says, "my religion is kindness." Hard to argue that, no?
#63 of 68 Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 AM

So today's dharma teaching was about patience... actually the month of August is about patience as an opponent to anger. Anyhow, today we specifically discussed patient acceptance. Accepting the situation for what it is, no expectation (or attachment?) that it should be any different.

I'm having a hard time with this. On the most extreme side, what if someone is in an abusive relationship? On the much smaller side, do you patiently accept situations that distress you eternally, an example being an annoying habit of a family member?

Or am I hearing this all wrong...? Patiently accept a situation (any situation) and simply act from a place of rational thought, instead of reacting from a place of fear/anger?

I'm currently finding myself seriously working on the mind of compassion and patient acceptance in my family, but start feeling like I'm being taken advantage of for not standing up for myself. And then swinging back to "but I'm not the most important person in the universe", and then back to "but neither are they"...

Ugh. You can see I'm just generally having some issues. So how does patient acceptance fit into your life?

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#64 of 68 Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaylee View Post
So today's dharma teaching was about patience... actually the month of August is about patience as an opponent to anger. Anyhow, today we specifically discussed patient acceptance. Accepting the situation for what it is, no expectation (or attachment?) that it should be any different.

I'm having a hard time with this. On the most extreme side, what if someone is in an abusive relationship? On the much smaller side, do you patiently accept situations that distress you eternally, an example being an annoying habit of a family member?

Or am I hearing this all wrong...? Patiently accept a situation (any situation) and simply act from a place of rational thought, instead of reacting from a place of fear/anger?

I'm currently finding myself seriously working on the mind of compassion and patient acceptance in my family, but start feeling like I'm being taken advantage of for not standing up for myself. And then swinging back to "but I'm not the most important person in the universe", and then back to "but neither are they"...

Ugh. You can see I'm just generally having some issues. So how does patient acceptance fit into your life?
Avaylee -responded with quite for August thread - hope you don't mind--http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=943644
#65 of 68 Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 AM

Hi mamas,

Does anyone mind if I subscribe to this thread? My children and I have been devout practitioners of Nichiren's buddhism for quite awhile now, though we study everything. I think I actually have leanings towards a more zen approach but for now I have faith that my practice will lead me where I'm supposed to be.

Kothi - I was just talking to my counselor about patience the other day (she is buddhist also) and she brought up the word "surrender". My affirmation is to surrender to where I am, in the moment, right now.

More later, kids are calling...

Look forward to meeting all you wise and beautiful women.
#66 of 68 Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 AM

sorry - will post in August thread instead!
#67 of 68 Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 AM

Hello and thankyou for this thread. I'd love to join you all.

I practice tibetan buddhism. My main center of practice is Shambhala; my root teacher is Khandro Rinpoche.

I was just fortunate enough to s pend the weekend in a program with Rinpoche and she brought up patience with me directly. As she puts it, patience is not about accepting or giving in to negative situations necessarily, rather about not adding to the cumulation of negative karma through our reactivity and actions.

I had asked about selflessness in relation to being the target of aggression. She was quite clear that we should practice patience and aawreness but also to stay "away from trouble" (!), and to use wisdom to recognize when to act and when not to. She stressed the importance of knowing our potential in any given situation, not trying to take on more than we are able. A lifetime of pratice for me right there.

Something else from her talk that stuck with me which I think relates is that whenever we make a decision or contemplate an action we should always base it on the 4 Noble Truths. So it doesn't mean we don't act, or try to change a situation, but we do that form a place of awareness, patience and compassion.
#68 of 68 Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM

I am not sure I am Buddhist, but I am subbing this thread for now

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page