any pantheists around? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was pondering starting a tribe or maybe there already is one. but i dunno if there are enough pantheists on mdc for a tribe. am i all alone or are more pantheists here?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#2 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Have y checked out the pagan mamas? I'm fairly sure we'd have a few among us! :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Hi Moonfroggy,
I'm wondering, what is a pantheist? I don't identify with any specific religion since I haven't found one that matches my beliefs yet. Maybe I am a pantheist?
#4 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Hi, Moonfroggy~ I tend to be allergic to labels , but I often feel that pantheism best suits me. I hang out on the Pagan Mama thread- Paganism is a wide umbrella which no doubt Pantheism fits under.

milkmommie~

here are a couple of my favorite links:

http://www.pantheism.net/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pantheism/

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#5 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 06:40 PM

The more I learn, the more I realize that I would most comfortably fit under the pantheist umbrella. But like Salvia, I tend to have allergic reactions when I try to stick too permanent of a label upon myself. As it is, I think I'd consider myself an Earth-based, pantheistic, Buddhist-leaning Pagan. How's that?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#6 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

i go back and forth with the pantheist label. for me the main point to the label is to find others who may feel similar to how i feel. i searched mothering for pantheist and found an old post where someone referred to herself as a dirt worshiping pantheist and i love that! i had been talking about my spiritual feelings and beliefs with a catholic friend and she was the one who said i may want to look up pantheism because what i described to her sounded like it. anyhow i have mixed feelings about labels they have their uses and their downsides

#7 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Salvia, MLW...want some benadryl cream for that? LOL I am kinda sorta panthiest I suppose (how's that for committment hehehe) I very much believe that the spark of divinity is in everything.. but I also feel the need to give that spark a name (even if it's just Goddess) to embody it in order to relate to it. Human handicap I guess

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#8 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM

I'm a polytheist/pantheist mix.
#9 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Salvia, MLW...want some benadryl cream for that? LOL
:

I understand- and can relate to- the desire to have a name for divinity and the spirituality that you feel. I suppose I have lots of names for that divinity. When I am successful at living mindfully, I can feel the divinity while washing the dishes as well as hiking in some beautiful place.

#10 of 17 Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
:

Seriously?
#11 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I tend to have allergic reactions when I try to stick too permanent of a label upon myself.
One of the reasons I'm a Chaos Mage. I had that problem, because none of the other labels fit comfortably (including pantheist). Before learning that I was a Chaote, I'd resigned myself to never having a label... and that bothered me, because I like to be able to organize things, label-wise, in my head.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#12 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 AM

Oooh, now although I am consider myself an atheist... which I am. I also have strong pantheist leanings. Pantheism fits me comfortably because there is no need at all for the supernatural... But I have always felt a strong connection to my environment and spiritually I find comfort within nature.

Peace
#13 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
Oooh, now although I am consider myself an atheist... which I am. I also have strong pantheist leanings. Pantheism fits me comfortably because there is no need at all for the supernatural... But I have always felt a strong connection to my environment and spiritually I find comfort within nature.

Peace
And that is the one part that is hard for me ... I do have strong feelings towards the supernatural, the Universe (for lack of better word - Source Energy being another), and even dieties as representative in an archetypal type of way of facets of the Universe and us. (And it is very hard for me to actually explain in my own words. ) There are many parts of the pantheist label that resonates with me, and some sites have information that sit better with me than others. And I feel that nature is my sanctuary (actually my temple would be Yosemite National Park at this time in my life), but other parts of it don't sit ... hence I think the allergic reactions.

ETA: Here is a site that seems to better describe for me what resonates with me.
Quote:
Pantheism is a metaphysical and religious position. Broadly defined it is the view that (1) "God is everything and everything is God … the world is either identical with God or in some way a self-expression of his nature" (Owen 1971: 74). Similarly, it is the view that (2) everything that exists constitutes a "unity" and this all-inclusive unity is in some sense divine (MacIntyre 1967: 34).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#14 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post

Peace
i was raised mostly as an atheist. well my dad is an atheist and he wanted me to be. he claims he raised me to choose my own beliefs other people in my family have different beliefs though. so when i was really little i was very close to my great grandmother and she must have been a christian or something because she had bibles she read and she believed in god and jesus and all of that. but she talked very little about her beliefs unless asked a specific question. i asked her what god was and where god was. my great grandma told me that god is like the air and is love and that god is alla round us and in everything and part of everything. that had a really big huge impact on me. so in my little head i combined things my dad told me about science and the world and universe and the idea that god is another word for love for goodness that is part of everything and for me god became a thing or an idea not a sentient being who created the world but more like one of the basic elements so for me atheism and pantheism go really well together. now i feel like science proves that reincarnation is real in the sense that when we die our bodies actually become part of the earth and part of everything and that is so beautiful to me and that eventually we will all be star dust and that dust may even go to create new worlds. it leaves me with a real feeling of aww. ok i have rambled on a lot now so i will stop.

#15 of 17 Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
now i feel like science proves that reincarnation is real in the sense that when we die our bodies actually become part of the earth and part of everything and that is so beautiful to me and that eventually we will all be star dust and that dust may even go to create new worlds. it leaves me with a real feeling of aww.
I totally agree! We are- everything is made of star dust. The cycle of life goes on and on! Knowing this is a great comfort to me.
Claudia Chapman likes this.

#16 of 17 Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Hi! I'm here. I'd love to be a part of a Panthiest tribe!
#17 of 17 Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 AM

There's also "panentheism", a word I like. According to Joseph Campbell at least, many people say "pantheist" when they mean "panentheist". As I understand it, panentheism considers God and the world to be inter-related (as opposed to pantheism, which identifies the world as the divine.) A panentheist might say that God is present and active within all things and all people. Creation reflects the Creator. SInce everything on Earth is in a state of change and evolution, it suggests that God is evolving as well.

I find that the word God, as it is frequently understood, is far too small and too limited a word to describe the Mystery of where we come from — or life-giving force and loving presence I see in the universe — but I use it because I haven't found a better word.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page