~*~ Pagan Families September Circle~*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
So many posts already. i will do the reading in a few minutes, just need to sub and say:

FINALLY after 6 or 7 years now of just TALKING about it, we are finally emotionally ready to leave AZ. DH and I are finally going to do it. We are getting all of our ducks in a row, paying off the rest of the debt and getting the stuff done around the house so we can be already to move in Jan/Feb... to MAINE! yippee. :

h
::::::

yay!

that is lovely! i just got v. excited for you!

I am living as if it is still summer, I wanted to do a pagan preschool/homeschool thing with dd... but its just NOT feeling like september to me.

so we are just going to keep playing all day and soak up every vibe of summer we can. Maybe try again in october.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#62 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM

mamaofthree- sounds like a good move for you! Goodluck!

Aweynsayl- I do that all the time. I finally have had enough and let stuff out and then I feel weird about it. your fine...

Well, off to etsy birthday gift ideas.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#63 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So many posts already. i will do the reading in a few minutes, just need to sub and say:

FINALLY after 6 or 7 years now of just TALKING about it, we are finally emotionally ready to leave AZ. DH and I are finally going to do it. We are getting all of our ducks in a row, paying off the rest of the debt and getting the stuff done around the house so we can be already to move in Jan/Feb... to MAINE! yippee. :

h
Oh my Goddess...I'm so incredibly excited!! We HAVE to find a way to meet up. I'm in MA (about 25 minutes west of Boston). We'll figure it out.
Yay for you!!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#64 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
DOK- Thaught about you this morning and wondering how you are adjusting to your son being at school. I got teary sending Bella last year.

Well, today I have to make a tough call. We adopted a cat two years ago and after trying for over two years we need to give her back to the humane society, she just isn't fitting in. I need to talk to the girls about it, which will be hard.
Ds had gone to preschool so I don't have a problem being away from him per se. It's just that I don't think his teacher understands the extent of his needs. I had a run in with her today and I'm thoroughly pissed off. On day 2 of school.

Sorry about your cat. It happens, mama.

#65 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Awey- I'm happy to suck up the phobia vibes for the group and keep everyone else on an even keel. No worries!

MamaofThree- w00t! Yippee! Huzzah! Congrats... what a great adventure!

brendon- I'm sorry... we had our cat for several years but he just wasn't making the transition to the new house/two littles very well. He loves life with my MIL but it was a tough decision. Big hugs to you.

DoK- sorry for the teacher ugh. DD1 is home and seems to have enjoyed the first day, but she is really tired and kind of bleh.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#66 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Today on our morning walk we discovered the acorns are dropping! I'm racking my brain for something cool to do with them. I'm feeling so uncreative.

We also found a little dead garden snake. It looks like someone just stomped on it. Poor little thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Corneal abrasions! Ouch! DD1 has sent DH to the ER twice with those (once she hit him in the eye with a wooen spoon, once with her hand) and I've had my own to deal with. The trick I found that works well is to take ibuprofin (I know, I know, it's ick) and then alternate cold and warmth (5 minutes cold wet cloth, 5 minutes warm wet cloth) for the first half hour, keeping the eye closed. DH refuses to give it a try and winds up getting the drops every time, but I've only needed the drops once. (squinty ouchie eye smilie)

I take dd1 to school in about five minutes and I'm totally freaking out. Everything I've seen says "good school". DD1 wants to go (it was the first thing she asked about this morning). But...well... ack! I think it's more performance anxiety on my part... we got the handbook yesterday with the "what you need to do" and then I spent last night filling out gobs of paperwork and worrying about whether or not I did everything "right". Like, you need to send lunch. But there can't be anything with "added sugar" and they actually say "no jams or jellies, no dired fruit" (though there is an exception for homemade bread that contains sugar), and "no processed or prepackaged foods". And with allergies and all, there's a "no nut" policy. Sooooo....errrrrr.... I'm not a really good cook and if you cancel the peanut butter, the jelly, the dried fruit, the wheat, and anything with added sugar/processing. Well. I'm lost! DD1 has a cup of plain yogurt that I topped with blueberries, a slice of bread I made the other day (has raisins and molasses in it, oh well), some cheese, and a little up of crunchy edamame. But what about tomorrow? And the next day? AAAAAAaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkK!

ok, gotta go, wish us luck!

(DoK you've inspired me!)
Wow that's crazy! I like reading those bento lunch blogs, even though I homeschool they make me want to go lunches all up like that. Maybe you can get some good ideas from them. I really enjoy Vegan Lunch Box.
#67 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:

h
Oh how exciting!! I remember the joy I felt the day we left Vegas. Congrats!

Well, DD survived her first day at day care, but I'm still reeling over trying to keep up with getting everything ready and out the door. And then there's always the screaming and crying on the trip home. She hates the car...

I'm still deciding about how to do my birthday/full moon ritual and wondered if anyone has any ideas? I'm pretty rusty on this, I may live pagan in heart, but I don't know how to do rituals too well. I find I need to do something esp with the spiritual issues DP and I are having.

signature currently in transition
#68 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM

CheapPearls- thanks. I love bentos (and have some of the cookbooks... including the anime one) and actually try to do that sort of thing with the girls ('cause then it's an art project, not cooking, donchaknow ). I think I need to just come up with 4-5 possible "meals" and just make them in rotation! Oh, and they make/eat a snack each day... Wed is applesauce/hardboiled eggs, Thursday is bread/butter, and Friday is a veggie/grain soup. So I don't want to duplicate the snack!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#69 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:

(DoK you've inspired me!)
I did? How? >Looks around all confused<

#70 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM

The fact that you/your ds made it through the first day of school relatively happy and whole.

(though I'd say you're pretty inspiring without any 1st day o school vibes too!)

#71 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
(though I'd say you're pretty inspiring without any 1st day o school vibes too!)
Aw, thanks. You should have seen me stand up to ds's beyotch of a teacher today.

#72 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Hi! My name is Jess. I thought I poke my head in here and see what was up. I'm a Witchie as is my Mom. And occasionaly my sis and our adopted cousin. But I'm still in the broom closet. I live with my bible thumping, demon casting, pagan-phobic dad and step mom. So I find creative ways to practice (it's easy - I live on a farm). I don't have many pagan friends. One actually (that of course is excluding my mom and cousin - who live out of state). You all seem very nice, I look forward to getting to know you.
#73 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Hi Jess!

#74 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 PM

ok, here are my replies to page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Holding all meetings indoors just would grate on my nerves anyway.. find a nice undercover pavillion outside or someones veranda/patio if it's good sized! To me scouts feels like it should be all about getting O.U.T And even moreso with S*S since it IS all about earth centered spirituality....Seems like a good alternative to having all the kids together for all activities would be to have them meet together, then split up for a bit to do their respective activity (into maybe ages 3-4 and 5-7) then come back together at the end of the meeting for the .. well whatever it is that is done hehehe.
well, yes, but the kids get even *more* distracted outside. it's supposed to be, well, a learning situation as well as fun, and they hardly listen to the leaders inside.
also, for us, there are only two leaders, and if they were to split up, there'd only be one per group-- which shouldn't be a problem, since one would have like 4 kids and the other would have two or so-- but both of them have kids *in* the program, and one hasn't any experience with kids older than 5, and you know how it is trying to figure out how to discipline kids older than yours, and the other one has one each of both ages, but she's the mom of ds's very close friend so he feels like he can disrespect her as much as he does me :
all the way around, it's just not a good fit for us right now. great idea, great program...just not a good fit for us at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
the sensory overlaod happens to ian too. its amazing how tired we all can get from that isnt it.
heck YEAH. *i* get tired from it. i don't blame the littles at all.

Quote:
Like, you need to send lunch. But there can't be anything with "added sugar" and they actually say "no jams or jellies, no dired fruit" (though there is an exception for homemade bread that contains sugar), and "no processed or prepackaged foods". And with allergies and all, there's a "no nut" policy. Sooooo....errrrrr.... I'm not a really good cook and if you cancel the peanut butter, the jelly, the dried fruit, the wheat, and anything with added sugar/processing. Well. I'm lost! DD1 has a cup of plain yogurt that I topped with blueberries, a slice of bread I made the other day (has raisins and molasses in it, oh well), some cheese, and a little up of crunchy edamame. But what about tomorrow? And the next day? AAAAAAaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkK!
is that not SO annoying? : ds's school is like that, too. i mean, last year, first day, i sent (among other things) an apple, cut up, with an individual serving of caramel apple dip. they told me not to send the dip anymore because it's too sugary. i mean seriously-- he had an apple with it. doesn't the fiber count for anything?
get a really good thermos and you can send hot stuff-- chili, soup, spaghetti, whatever she will eat. send hummus and crackers. many variations on the crackers and dip thing. like baba ganoush with pita, tortillas and salsa, whatever. other nut butters besides peanut. almond butter is YUM! how about apple butter? instead of jelly? you can get homemade jellies without sugar. they *abound* here in NC. they sell them everywhere. pumpkin butter, oh mmm, it's almost time for pumpkin butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
this is really whiney and needy of me, but i am going to have to do it, or i'm going to keep feeling totally uncomfortable here... going back to the aug thread and the conversation about cars and driving and stuff, i just wanted to clarify that i dont have a phobia, i just have certain levels of discomfort with movement in machines. i posted way more about it (and then deleted) than i typically would something like that because i was having a really crummy week, and i was desperate for some ... outlet.... anyhow. i'm feeling really dorky about it all.... i just didnt want to leave a wrong impression..... clay can keep the phobia title. call me uber motion sick woman. or something. (sigh. sorry. i'm not doing very well lately.)
is this my fault? oh no, i'm so sorry! i hope not! if so, will you forgive me? no harm meant, i promise

Quote:
omg!! woohoo! YAY for you, that is so awesome!! :

[QUOTE=brendon;12094066]Well, today I have to make a tough call. We adopted a cat two years ago and after trying for over two years we need to give her back to the humane society, she just isn't fitting in. I need to talk to the girls about it, which will be hard.[/QUOTE

oh, man. that just stinks. i'm sorry. i hope the girls take it ok. or get over it quickly. or something

now on to page 4, and beyond...

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#75 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks for all the comments/cautions re: Spiral Scouts. I have done little as far as getting things together, other than telling the organization I'd like to start a group. I will be looking into the other groups mentioned, as well.

Lots of moves coming up! How exctiing! : Hope we all get through the process smoothly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Oh my Goddess...I'm so incredibly excited!! We HAVE to find a way to meet up. I'm in MA (about 25 minutes west of Boston). We'll figure it out.
Yay for you!!
When I saw this, I had to mention I am going to Salem in October! : It's something I've wanted to do for years...witches, and pirates - I can't wait! My kids are totally into to it, too. The idea of New England in the fall makes me get all goose bumpy, and is there a better place to celebrate Halloween?!?
#76 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 PM

I don't like Salem for Halloween. Too hokey.

#77 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
It's just that I don't think his teacher understands the extent of his needs. I had a run in with her today and I'm thoroughly pissed off. On day 2 of school.
oh gawd, mama, i'm so sorry. y'all remember all the trouble i had with ds's teacher last year? many, many hugs...and lots of courage. i hope maybe you can get him in a different class while the year is still young. that *stinks*.
believe me, i feel for ya.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#78 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Like, you need to send lunch. But there can't be anything with "added sugar" and they actually say "no jams or jellies, no dired fruit" (though there is an exception for homemade bread that contains sugar), and "no processed or prepackaged foods". And with allergies and all, there's a "no nut" policy.
Ye gods... they aren't making it easy are they! If she's a sammich kinda kiddo, let me recommend cream cheese My kids favorite kind of sammich

Quote:
i'm really aggrevated, mommas. and i cant talk about it, cause it totally overwhelmingly violates all sorts of rules of the overlords. *sigh*

call me uber motion sick woman. or something. (sigh. sorry. i'm not doing very well lately.)[/SIZE]
And fwiw I am super duper mega ubra car sick woman too lol.. but that's in addition to my hatred of getting lost going new places lol

Quote:

h
WOOT, good luck to you with it! That's a heckuva move!

Quote:
Ds had gone to preschool so I don't have a problem being away from him per se. It's just that I don't think his teacher understands the extent of his needs. I had a run in with her today and I'm thoroughly pissed off. On day 2 of school.
OMG seriously!?!?! That's just crappy hun... if she's going to be that bad in the first week it doesn't bode well. Here's hoping she pulls her head outta her .. posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPearls View Post
Today on our morning walk we discovered the acorns are dropping! I'm racking my brain for something cool to do with them. I'm feeling so uncreative.
Awww I want!!!!! I so wish we had oaks here instead of palms and tea trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn View Post
Hi! My name is Jess. I thought I poke my head in here and see what was up. I'm a Witchie as is my Mom. And occasionaly my sis and our adopted cousin. But I'm still in the broom closet. I live with my bible thumping, demon casting, pagan-phobic dad and step mom. So I find creative ways to practice (it's easy - I live on a farm). I don't have many pagan friends. One actually (that of course is excluding my mom and cousin - who live out of state). You all seem very nice, I look forward to getting to know you.
welcome

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#79 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I don't like Salem for Halloween. Too hokey.
i love hokey for Halloween. i'm all about hokey. i can't wait to visit Salem one day! my Puritan ancestors would be turning in their graves but then they probaby are, anyway, since i've been a Witch for eons.

Salem-- definitely high on my list of places to visit. and has to be before Laurie Cabot crosses over...how old is she now, anyway? we have to meet her, of course!

#80 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 PM

Laurie Cabot? Eww.

#81 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Ye gods... they aren't making it easy are they! If she's a sammich kinda kiddo, let me recommend cream cheese My kids favorite kind of sammich

And fwiw I am super duper mega ubra car sick woman too lol.. but that's in addition to my hatred of getting lost going new places lol

.... I so wish we had oaks here instead of palms and tea trees
oh yes, cream cheese. i do send bagel with cream cheese. not toasted, and ds doesn't even notice or complain! : sigh. ONE thing he doesn't complain about, at least!

well...oh all right...i will just have to drive everybody everywhere, then. you're talking to the woman who, having found out Phyllis Curott was speaking at PSG, drove 11+ hours by myself, newly pregnant for the first time, to a place i'd never been, ever. i can do this. y'all need driving, i'm the woman

cari? send me your physical address, hon. i'll send you a box'o'fall stuff. pinecones and acorns and schtuff.

#82 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Laurie Cabot? Eww.
Not a fan here either lol... then again I'm really not a huge fan of any of the big name pagan authors (cept ellen dugan... i lurve her )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
oh yes, cream cheese. i do send bagel with cream cheese. not toasted, and ds doesn't even notice or complain! : sigh. ONE thing he doesn't complain about, at least!

well...oh all right...i will just have to drive everybody everywhere, then. you're talking to the woman who, having found out Phyllis Curott was speaking at PSG, drove 11+ hours by myself, newly pregnant for the first time, to a place i'd never been, ever. i can do this. y'all need driving, i'm the woman

cari? send me your physical address, hon. i'll send you a box'o'fall stuff. pinecones and acorns and schtuff.
My kids wouldn't complain about creamy cheese bagels either.. specially blueberry bagels I don't have a problem driving 11hours somewhere.. highway trips are no biggie to me at all! It's the across town through the masses of traffic & tangle of city roads that does me in!

And I wish you COULD send me naturey stuff *sigh* but alas customs would be very unhappy with both of us as just about anything of a plant nature is stopped before it enters the country : concern about diseases & critters that we don't have here etc Depressing though.. I wonder if I could find wooden acorns at a crafty shop? I've never had any luck before but I may have to look around again

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#83 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Cari- I forget, are you on the knit side or the hook side of the aisle? There are some really neat acorn fiber crafts...

http://oldschoolacres.typepad.com/ph...ial/index.html
http://knittingiris.typepad.com/knit...11/acorny.html (the acorn motherload... scroll down for many many acorn links)

Cream cheese! How could I have forgotten? The instructions are actually NO jam/jelly homemade or not since all "real" jellies are essentially sugar (you could use nutrasweet or something but ick). Same reason we can't send juice... organic hand squeezed or not it's still sugar water. And although we can send fresh fruit they'd like us to avoid dried fruit (more sugar I suppose). But cream cheese should be good, and I'll pick up almond butter tomorrow... I put leftovers in her lunch box for tomorrow so I'm good for one more day! (chicken risotto with veggies from our CSA, fresh CSA carrots, and a little bowl of edamame... since they make bread and butter on Thursday that should work ok).

Welcome Jess!

Salem- I used to go every Halloween... I'd celebrate Samhain in Boston but I do like being silly now and then. Hhhhhhmmmmm.... we do need to visit Boston soon...

#84 of 946 Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cari- I forget, are you on the knit side or the hook side of the aisle?
OMG knit acorns.. too adorable! But I'm afraid ya lost me.. knit side or hook side?? I'm confused.. lol

#85 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn View Post

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#86 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 02:21 AM

thanks for humoring me, mommas. clay, maybe you can knit the vibes in a shawl to wear while you drive. (cari- yep, and yep, and a host of other issues mainly dealing with parking) mercyn, no worries you! i'd explained my issues more, but then deleted them... i'm not really comfortable sharing quite so much on things like that, but by that point i'd passed my comfort level and i was uncomfy all around. i'm having one of those days, only it's lasting... by this point... about 11 days... and it's getting rather exhausting. good news is i seem to be getting a migrane. yeah, good news, cause it means once i wake up from it all, i should be back to me.

nitey nite.
#87 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Is your 'offness' like an aura aweyn?? If so, whoooaaa to an 11day aura I do hope you wake up feeling like YOU again! I think we miss camp lol I'm in an awful funk as well at the moment and boy is my DH copping it big time.

#88 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 AM

At least you all drive, i havent even got my licence yet. I also have a phobia of using the phone, i hate it.
#89 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Food-I understand not wanting sugar but sheesh, dried fruit can be homemade. We make our own apple rings and they have no extra sugar.

Any spells for getting people to stop snoring? Seriously! :

Homeschool group get together today! Woohoo!

Welcome newcomers! :

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#90 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
http://knittingiris.typepad.com/knit...11/acorny.html (the acorn motherload... scroll down for many many acorn links)
Ohmygoddess! I love those! Dang all these projects I already have on the needles!

Quote:
i'm really aggrevated, mommas.
I hope you are feeling better and stronger really soon aweynsayl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
At least you all drive, i havent even got my licence yet. I also have a phobia of using the phone, i hate it.
I hate the phone too. It's actually a pretty common fear/source of discomfort around here at mdc. I know I've participated in countless threads about it in the years I've been here. Kind of nice, because I always thought I was the only woman on earth with that issue. I've gotten a bit better about it over the years---I will cal for pizza or take-out now if I really need to (still try to get dp to do it if he's around). Making appointments is the worst for me. I have to do meditative breathing before and after calling a doc's office.

We had a grand day yesterday---my kids are extras in a movie filming locally. So we spend the whole day on set. We're exhausted today! We don't film again until Sunday. I think today will be a pajama and academics day. Tomorrow, I'm running a Magick in the Park Day where we'll get together with our homeschool friends to read stories about fairies and then take a walk in the woods to look for evidence of fairies. :

I'm battling depression these days. I'm actually winning the battle and am able to get to a feeling of "ok" nearly every day, but I am often caught off guard by feelings of personal inadequacy and really really hateful and ugly body image stuff. It's so frustrating! And it's affecting my libido, which has me really ticked off. Anyway, does anyone have any lovely resources for chants/rituals/prayers to help me build myself up a bit? Those unexpected moments of overwhelming sadness and "what's the point?" feelings really throw me for a loop and I just want it to stop.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page