Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're the cat's meow!!!!
#122 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn View Post
I live in the Midwest...where the corn grows...LOL. What regions/areas do you all live in?
Interior Alaska, but currently visiting (conservatively religious, of course) my parents in SE Vermont. I told my mother I had gone pagan and she cried. I decided then and there she didn't need to know about the wicca bit...I really get along with my parents so... well you know. So I'll always be in the broom closet with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
I live in the Lake Sunapee Region of New Hampshire.
I love Lake Sunapee! I used to go swimming there sometimes as a kid!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#123 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 PM

Alaskaberry- where in AK? My SIL is from North Pole and she (and my brother) live outside Fairbanks right now.

I'm in the Finger Lakes region of NY. Very scenic but cold/grey/snowy for a fair chunk of the year. The one downside of autumn is knowing what is on the way!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#124 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 PM

ahh, shower, yoga, journaling... and the babe is *still* napping! that's not happened once in the past three months at least!... :

conversations here much on my mind, i wound up journaling about "three types of healing".... specific trauma, general old wounds, and day to day things.... kinda interesting. i'm at stage three, and for me, the things like what we did in camp really hit home with that.

speaking of, i am becoming utterly entranced with the fabric/fiber arts stuff... i simply must learn felting. it is SO my fall project.... but i've been meditating and journaling a lot on the spiritual element of fiber/fabric.... so, i'm going to regret this, but.... clay, do you have any book recomendations along those lines? (i'm about 1/2 way thru the silmarillion... and i think i'm learning how to spell it, yes? anyhow, i'll be done with it before the 22nd, so i have some time before our Fellowship begins.... maybe a short book? )

and, for good measure, and since i'm in a splendiferous mood for the first time in rather a while, at the risk , i realize, of lessening the impact by overuse... i'm going to send my typical pagan care package to all the newbies-- heh, heh, heh.
~you already got the tapping video...
~then there's this legolas video...
~a dress from this website....
~and a bar of yoda chocolate....

welcome, all!
:

mmmm and... i got my fave jane austen from netflix today, and plan to watch that and roast some root veggies.....
#125 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
mmmm and... i got my fave jane austen from netflix today, and plan to watch that and roast some root veggies.....
Nice!

I plan on watching Catch & Release tonight and The Holiday (again) tomorrow night.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#126 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 PM

ohhh, i (heart) the holiday!!!! i could (and have been known to) watch it several times in a row. jude law in a chunky "jumper".... yummmy. :
#127 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Laurie Cabot? Eww.
well....because she's hokey.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#128 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
And I wish you COULD send me naturey stuff *sigh* but alas customs would be very unhappy with both of us as just about anything of a plant nature is stopped before it enters the country : concern about diseases & critters that we don't have here etc
well, dang. i hadn't even thought of that!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#129 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
We are letting our kids decide for themselves too. I don't go to church, but have offered to take them if they want to check it out. Right now they are not interested.
no offense to those who do this, but i am absolutely on the other side of the fence this way. i believe in raising children with whatever religion you're in. or *some* base, anyway. while i'm Pagan, i go to the UU church, and ds goes as well. church is not optional for him (well, especially since i'm a single parent ) but children-- well, people-- will choose their own path eventually, anyway. so i believe it's uber important to give them a base from which to choose.
my ds is 7.5yo, and right now he identifies as "half Pagan, half Christian" i don't know where he gets the "half Christian" from, but i think it's our babysitter, who is a Baptist preacher's daughter, and/or my mom, who's Episcopalian. i have never read him Bible stories, though he's asked and i've said ok (just never have gotten around to it). he went to an Episcopalian church with me a year and a half ago, and had to be bribed to be quiet the whole time
i don't want to turn him completely off to Paganism, so i don't make him go to ritual anymore (which he hates, at the moment). but we talk about the Goddesses and Gods and Jesus here and there. he hears me talk about Them all the time, and we do say blessings over our food, and do little spells (for good dreams, for instance), and nighttime blessings.

anyway. there's my POV.

#130 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 PM

i'm not posting much, am i?

i live in Asheville, NC, where (thankfully!) there are tons of crunchy sorts and lots of Pagans. :

oh, Mabon-- i need to find babysitting, but i have been going to these small intimate public rituals since Imbolc. i them!! i can't wait.
for home, i use a yard of seasonal-themed cloth for an altar cloth/tablecloth and if we do ritual at all now (not much anymore) it's very short. we welcome the elements and the dieties and then feed each other ("may you never hunger/thirst") and then feast! i don't know what we'll have this year. ds is such a food-pain anymore. he pretty much only likes pasta and i'm NOT having pasta for ritual food!
what are y'all having for your Mabon feasts at home?

#131 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
ohhh, i (heart) the holiday!!!! i could (and have been known to) watch it several times in a row. jude law in a chunky "jumper".... yummmy. :
I love the Holiday too. One of the best movies. I totally drooled over the English Cottage. If only it had a ramp, elevator, and bigger doorways. LOL. My wheelchair is rather stubborn when it comes to me wanting to up stairs and pass through narrow doorways. I wonder why? LOL.
#132 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
no offense to those who do this, but i am absolutely on the other side of the fence this way. i believe in raising children with whatever religion you're in. or *some* base, anyway. while i'm Pagan, i go to the UU church, and ds goes as well. church is not optional for him (well, especially since i'm a single parent ) but children-- well, people-- will choose their own path eventually, anyway. so i believe it's uber important to give them a base from which to choose.
my ds is 7.5yo, and right now he identifies as "half Pagan, half Christian" i don't know where he gets the "half Christian" from, but i think it's our babysitter, who is a Baptist preacher's daughter, and/or my mom, who's Episcopalian. i have never read him Bible stories, though he's asked and i've said ok (just never have gotten around to it). he went to an Episcopalian church with me a year and a half ago, and had to be bribed to be quiet the whole time
i don't want to turn him completely off to Paganism, so i don't make him go to ritual anymore (which he hates, at the moment). but we talk about the Goddesses and Gods and Jesus here and there. he hears me talk about Them all the time, and we do say blessings over our food, and do little spells (for good dreams, for instance), and nighttime blessings.

anyway. there's my POV.
The first 11 plus years of my kids life we raised them with our beliefs, the entire family was involved. My kids are going to be 15 soon, so right now I am letting them explore all the different types of belief systems to see if they find their own fit. They do have ours as a base though.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#133 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM

Hi guys! Oh man, how I've missed you guys! I hope everyone is good and enjoying this gorgeous weather!

I'm not good. I've been on bedrest for almost 2 months, 3 more to go. At my 19 week u/s they found a cyst on the baby's brain and a growth on my uterus. I have another u/s scheduled to check on both of those and I'm trying really hard not to stress about them in the meantime. I'm also on Fragmin, an anticoagulant.

The pain is incredible. Always. When I have to lift one leg at a time to change pants it feels like my bones are going to snap, its unbearable. I've barely slept in 8 weeks. I'm a wreck. I feel like I need my beliefs to get me through this time, tho I've never gone through a period in my life where I felt like such a void of Light.

I have gotten NO support of any kind from my family. None. My mom brought us KFC one night when my hubby called and asked her to bring us dinner, and she just asked us when we're going to pay her for it. I hired a girl to come in and clean and she's been here twice. She does not clean well. I don't know what to do.
Mamaterra posted a thread about gathering some support for me through the Vancouver tribe and through that another mama contacted someone she knows, and that person contacted me. She's with a church in my city, Christ the King. Her and about 100 other people want to help me. Since Monday they've been bringing dinners everyday. Several people offered to do our shopping, baking, childcare, house cleaning.. you name it. It feels wierd having all these Christians coming through. I don't know what would happen if one of them were to notice that the thing that they thought was a bookshelf, is really an altar. It feels kind of awkward, but I really need help.

Anyways to boost my spirital morale I've ordered some book from eBay. Anyday I should be recieving Aradia, the Gospel of Witches, some kind of ancient text reference about spellwork, Faery Faith in Celtic Countries, and a bunch of others like so. I'm really looking forward to diving in.

I just wanted to pop in and say hi and tell you guys I miss you. I don't post in here because even I am sick of hearing myself, I don't want to dump on you guys.

much love...
#134 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Sage- You can dump! We (the group) have been thinking about you and wishing we could chat with you more. sending some love : (well, sending some hearts your way) I know it is hard to take help, but if they are really wanting to help, they are doing it out of love, so take it. Though, i don't know how I would be about people seeing my altar...kinda personal. *hugs*

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#135 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 PM

sage, I haven't been here that long so I haven't heard your story. I am so sorry to hear that you are hurting. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. I will put you and your family in my daily prayers, and send you some good vibes. I know how hard bed rest can be. I am glad to hear you have some caring people around you.

#136 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
spiritual element of fiber/fabric.... so, i'm going to regret this, but.... clay, do you have any book recomendations along those lines?

ZATI- The Art of Weaving a Life (http://www.weavingalife.com/weaving.php) uses a table loom to create talismanic items/"journal" through fiber arts. The loom used is specifically the journey loom, but the projects can be woven on a picture frame loom (literally a picture frame with string wrapped around it).

The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Sutra...f=pd_sim_b_3)- not exactly pagan, and not a "how to" craft book, but essays and chapters about how knitting/fiber arts brought spiritual pursuits into focus for the author.

Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Peace...t_25_rdssss1)- My SIL loves this book... it includes patterns and contact info for charitable organiations that accept hand crafted gifts (for hospice care, NICU babies, homeless shelters, etc).

AntiCraft: Knitting, Beading and Stitching for the Slightly Sinister (http://www.amazon.com/AntiCraft-Knit...81548&sr=8-5)- this is just.... fun. Much fun. (there is even a bodice, for those so inclined )

The Quilting Path: A Guide to Spiritual Discovery Through Fabric, Thread and Kabbalah (http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Path-...81913&sr=8-6)- a bit scattered, but pretty, and an interesting look at quilting as spiritual path.

Uniquely Felt (http://www.amazon.com/Uniquely-Felt-...82132&sr=1-8)- not specifically meditative/spiritual, but you did mention felting!

http://www.allfiberarts.com/ very fun to browse

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#137 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 PM

I should clarify. I have some christian friends and I have no issue whatsover with them, not with any religious beliefs really. Whatever one chooses believe, as long as they're happy with it.
But they all know me and don't judge me. Our mutual respect gives us both the freedom to be who we are and the ability to discuss our beliefs with someone who is willing to just listen. But I don't believe thats the norm in a christian-pagan friendship.
#138 of 946 Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 PM

SAGE! I was just thinking of you! Oh sweetie...I'm so sorry. Hang in there! And take whatever help is offered... and don't worry about it. You need it and you deserve it and it's part of their choosen path to nurture/provide practical love to any and all (or at least, that's the Jesus path I think about).

PM me with your snail mail addy, ok? I put together a copy of the pagan camp binder for you (well, it's almost done ) and I want to send it off to you. But don't worry.... If I don't hear from you I'll check out the Vancouver mama thread and see if someone can get it to you that way. Just conserve your energy and strength.

I wish there was something more I could do to help... I'll light a candle and send the energy your way. You and your blessed babe just do your best to relax and hang in there.

Big (gentle) hugs.

#139 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
ok, seriously????

I think you n eed to officially be my best friend!!!!!!!!!!

dh JUST came in the room like 3 nights ago and said, "seriously jen, your watching this again?"

I quote that movies alllllll the time.

"yes, I sew and have a cow"

sweetest movie line ever.

lol

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#140 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Heyla Danika! Are there any specific terms or phrases you'd like to know more about? There is a really long "pagan resources" thread here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=24834 that has lots of books, websites, and all that.

But we just finished up our annual "Pagan Family Summer Camp" and that might be an "easier" place to start. You can find the links to last year's camp (one week each to focus on each of the elements, plus a week for spirit) here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...mp#post8904473 and the links for the second summer camp (looking at blending spirituality with daily life, each week focuses on a "room" in a home and ways to bring spirituality into the life of that room) here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=924660 (follow the links in the first post for each week).

My personal favorite book for earth based spirituality (for families) is Celebrating the Great Mother, but if you let us know what (in general) interests you I bet someone will have the perfect idea!

Welcome to the group! :

Thanks. I'll check out the threads you suggested as a starting place.

It's hard to say which terms I didn't understand. I'd have to go back through the previous 6 pages (all of which I read this morning and into the afternoon) to find them again. I'll just ask next time I read something I don't get. I was wondering what everyone meant when they talked about camp, now I think I get it...you had a "camp" on the boards where different topics were discussed, right?

As for what exactly I'm interested in, I'm not really sure. I've been intrigued by Wicca for a few years now. I used to live in the SF Bay Area and there is a really great progressive radio station that used to have shows on about Wicca every Halloween. I haven't done any research on my own, however. Since talking with my sister-in-law last year about it, I've been a bit afraid because she mentioned that there is an abundance of books out there that call themselves wiccan, but really aren't accurate or really understand it. So, I've been afraid to just pick up a book without being referred by someone who really knows what they are talking about.

I know I'm not really into goddesses any more than I am god. I think I just don't like the whole heirarchy thing regardless of gender. I think teachings about nature and the connection to it and the seasons seems more like something I'd be comfortable with, at least for now.

Also, I just don't have time for a book right now. I do better with websites where I can explore for a few hours or days and then move on. Maybe after the 1st of the year I'll have time to devote to a book (and by then maybe I can kill my TV addiction to release time).

It feels to me like the best place to start is with holidays and rituals, like summer solstice, etc. But what do I know? Also, maybe ways to celebrate traditional holidays in a more earth-centered way. For instance, I still celebrate Thanksgiving, but not as a celebration of the pilgrims. Rather as a celebration of family and the harvest, and eventually as my daughter gets older I'll use it as a way to teach her about how the pilgrims [I]really[I] treated the native americans.

Can anyone tell me about any other "holidays" or occasions for rituals that are coming up in the next few months and how you celebrate them?

Eventually, I'd like to explore Celtics and Druids, as I have Scottish and Irish background and I think that learning about that, even if I don't practice it would make me feel more connected to my heritage.

If anyone has any more thoughts about where to start, I'd love to hear it.

treehugger.gif
#141 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Any spells for getting people to stop snoring? Seriously! :
A pillow.. applied with gentle, but firm force, upside the head maybe? lol. I empathize.. my hubby snores, and the 6yo that slips into bed with me nightly snores too lol. I'm DOOMED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
NOt to be picky or anything (I am a Virgo...), but I noticed that there is very little talk of pagan practice in these 5 pages (ye gads! it took me a long time to read!)

What kinds of things do you do w/ your little ones to celebrate the Full Moon?

What kinds of plans do you have for Mabon?
Well, I was gonna say to stick around for a few pages because the discussion waxes & wanes from spiritual stuff to regular ole life But I see from reading the rest of the thread you'd have discovered that already lol. My little guys are little Moon babies They don't just celebrate the full moon, they celebrate her whenever they can see her! We have our little moon song that we sing, an altered version of one my mom sang with us when we were kids.. I'm sure you know the 'I see the moon, the moon sees me... goddess bless the moon and goddess bless me'

We're heading for Ostara here : So we've been busy making and starting to decorate our Spring tree and making altar decorations. I'm a very nature based pagan, and not so much into big ritually things as it just feels contrived to me. I do however sometimes have a simple spur of the moment ritual of celebration of the season etc We planted seeds in our veggie patch on Imbolc earlier this week :

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Hi, I'd like to join. I've actually begun my journey down the path of eclectic wicca, but I identify with the term pagan as well. My dp is an agnostic--but he wants our children to go to church "to learn morals and ethics" ... considering he hates going to church, I don't see how that is going to happen!! Personally I am just going to let them choose by themselves...when they are old enough to make up their own minds.
Welcome I lived in AK for three years back in the late 80s... omg did I love that place *sigh* I lived in Anchorage (military base), what part of the state are you in? Is there a UU congregation near you? I know they are usually quite welcoming to pagans and agnostics I'm sure clay will chime in here

Quote:
thankgoodness no. it was more of spilling, breaking, burning, messing up everything... anything i planned went wrong, anything i wanted to do wouldnt work, that kind of thing. i *do* miss camp... i also miss dh being home. migrane mostly gone over night, one day or so of fog and i should be ok. :

if anyone is so inclined and would like to do me a favor, could you write to starbucks and tell them that you're not wild about their switching to #5 plastic? it was my guilty pleasure before, but now that i cant recycle their cups.... ugh.
I hear ya about the fog hun.. I usually cop about 3days worth of that. Hope you're feeling a bit perkier at least! And can't believe starbucks Very disappointing of them! I haven't been to a starbucks in yrs.. it used to be my dose of home but I've since found a local chain that I lurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn View Post
Hello! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I live in the Midwest...where the corn grows...LOL. What regions/areas do you all live in?
: I'm on the east coast.. of Australia In the sunny (usually! we're in a hopefully drought breaking string of storms at the moment) almost tropical burbs of Brisbane Queensland!

Quote:

Cari- knit side= knitting versus hook side=crochet.
Ahhh I'm on neither side lol.. I can't do either one, YET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade's Mom View Post
I'm clueless about much of what you all talk about, but want to learn. I'm finding that even the term "spiritual" makes me a bit uncomfortable, possibly because it seems to still refer to religion. I'm a bit allergic to religion...which goes over well here in Colorado Springs, the heart of the evangelicals.

My sister-in-law is pagan/wiccan and has only just started to share that information with the family.

Can anyone recommend a good place to begin?
Ask questions about what your curious about! We don't mind sharing a bit I get a tad 'rashy' around religions too lol.. One of the easiest ways to get started is to take note of the changes around us, so go out & look for things that say autumn to you and celebrate them. Mabon (sept 21ish) is a harvest festival.. sorta like a pagan thanksgiving You don't have to be diety centred to be pagan, I know quite a few that are earth centered but not 'into' god/desses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
I lurk in here and sometimes say hi and blessed be. My dear Rhea arrived on Lammas (as I had predicted), so I've been busy with her, but I thought I should check in.
Congratulations! :

Quote:
If that is dorky I think a good third of this list is dooooooomed! (myself included... I was at the thrift shop this morning and bought a tshirt that I totally don't need just because the slogon on the front says "she who reads" Ah well, it was only 99 cents and I scored half off on the two pairs of pants I found for dd1.)
OMG Love that shirt!!!

Quote:
<waves> higher than 1/3, methinks... just got back from the store where a jar of spicy cider somehow made it into my cart... for drinking--iced for now, reading tolkien in the AC, unlayered, as it were, in my cami....
STOP that right now... we aren't supposed to be reading tolkien till the 22nd dang it lol I don't even have the books yet! eeeK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Interior Alaska, but currently visiting (conservatively religious, of course) my parents in SE Vermont. I told my mother I had gone pagan and she cried.
I never told my mother I was pagan for this very reason.. I knew it would hurt her that I'd rejected the faith I was (loosely) raised in. She died this march blissfully unaware... I'm sure the thought that she would see me again in heaven was comforting to her, so I'm glad I did not take that from her. Coming out of that closet can be very difficult... my IL's however, know all about our spirituality and are cool with it. They're old hippies though, so not terribly surprising lol.

OMG that is the longest post ever & I stopped before I got to the end because I figured MDC might meltdown if I didn't lol.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#142 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Dang ya'll! How's a mum sposed to keep up with you lot chatting so much!

Quote:
i'm not posting much, am i?
LMAO me either Mine's just all at once lol

Quote:
for home, i use a yard of seasonal-themed cloth for an altar cloth/tablecloth and if we do ritual at all now (not much anymore) it's very short. we welcome the elements and the dieties and then feed each other ("may you never hunger/thirst") and then feast! i don't know what we'll have this year. ds is such a food-pain anymore. he pretty much only likes pasta and i'm NOT having pasta for ritual food!
what are y'all having for your Mabon feasts at home?
I use a seasonal coloured or printed placemat for my altar cloth Will your kiddo eat sweet potato? I make a mean sweet potato casserole at that time of year.. it's boiled & mashed with brown sugar & butter and put in a dish & topped with this evil crunchy topping comprised of more butter chopped pecans, brown sugar and coconut. omg it is the best thing I've ever eaten lol. Not even my picky as poop 4yo could turn that one down

Quote:
no offense to those who do this, but i am absolutely on the other side of the fence this way. i believe in raising children with whatever religion you're in. or *some* base, anyway.
I am somewhat the same.. I want to give my boys a basic foundation of the faith that I have chosen, but I'm open to exposing them to others as the topic comes up (we drive past a Mosque regularly so we have had brief discussions about Islam, and a few about Christianity) I always tell them that this is what mummy & daddy believe, but other people believe different things and that's prefectly ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post
Hi guys! Oh man, how I've missed you guys! I hope everyone is good and enjoying this gorgeous weather!
Phht stop apologizing right now missy, don't make me turn this monitor around and come over there Good to hear from you! Sorry your mom is being such a UAV too.. a little understanding would be nice eh :S As for the church offering to help, take it where you can get it! Their faith tells them that this is the right thing to do and they want to help you, so accept it as freely as it is given hun. It very much restores a little faith in 'religion' for me to see a church making such huge offers of help to someone that isn't even part of their organization! Joining clay in adding a candle to our altar to send a little loving energy your way hun *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade's Mom View Post
Also, I just don't have time for a book right now. I do better with websites where I can explore for a few hours or days and then move on. Maybe after the 1st of the year I'll have time to devote to a book (and by then maybe I can kill my TV addiction to release time).

It feels to me like the best place to start is with holidays and rituals, like summer solstice, etc. But what do I know?

Can anyone tell me about any other "holidays" or occasions for rituals that are coming up in the next few months and how you celebrate them?
Be very picky about websites, because honestly there's a lot of crapola on the web (I'm sure I really didn't have to tell you that sorry lol) A lot of ppl read a book on wicca and decide they are an expert & post all manner of stuff

As I said in my monstrosity of a previous post lol.. Mabon/ autumnal equinox is the next Sabbat. The kids are calling so hopefully someone else has better links, the wiki was just fast

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#143 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
i've been thinking about sage too. sending her some hugs.

happy september, at blessed last!

i'm hiding out and reading the silmarillion.
What's the silmarillion?

treehugger.gif
#144 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Fast- must run-

Silmarillion- Tolkien's "backstory" so to speak... it covers the religion of Middle Earth, the gods/demigods, the history of who the elves are where man came from what happens when you die, etc. Sort of a religious text, an uber historical text, and a guide to the languages all in one. It was edited together after Tolkien's death and done very quickly (his son, who edited it, said if he'd had more time it would have been different). But it's interesting!

Cari- you were in the military? My brother was stationed at Fairbanks...

Ack... preschool... ack ack ack!

#145 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 AM

wombatclay, does your SIL post on here? In answer to your question, I live just outside of Fairbanks, in the Goldstream Valley.

There is a UU church, however, I heard it was "judgemental" from another Witch. However, never having checked it out myself, I'll suspend judgement myself until I do! (this Witch now goes to the Quaker Meeting House, The Quakers are actually pretty cool)

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#146 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Sage!!! Oh it's so good to hear from you, sweets! I'm so sorry you're still in so much pain. Please let us know if we can do anything for you. Maybe we can get care packages together and send them out once a week or so? Regardless I'll also be lighting a candle for you and sending you some energy. Much peace and love to you!

And

Welcome to all the newcomers!

We always get a few more members around this time of year. Something about the change from Summer to Fall that gets people thinking inward. I love it. I started my path here in July/Aug a year ago!

Aweyn, that mabon thread is still awesome! Thanks for the linkage!

: for the weekend! Hope everyone has a good one!

-Rachel

#147 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome! I was going to try to stay caught up but it got away from me!

I'm sorry for the folks who lost pets, someone mentioned earlier in the thread about their mother's dog getting poisoned. How horrible! We lost both our cats about a month ago, and today, we are getting two new kittens! I am excited and scared at the same time!

Witchygrrl, congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Jade's Mom - welcome!! I'm sure the folks here will recommend some good books. One classic is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. (She is still a reporter for NPR by the way!) I went to a workshop of hers ages ago, in Chicago, and it was held in the UU temple that Frank Lloyd Wright designed. I didn't know at the time how famous she was! My aunt and uncle took me with them. I haven't done much exploring of Paganism on the internet, though. And, I felt the same way about religion for a long time. I'm to the point now where I feel neutral. I'm really happy that many people find comfort in it! But I am fine without it.

I'll try to stay caught up a little better
#148 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post

I'm not good. I've been on bedrest for almost 2 months, 3 more to go. At my 19 week u/s they found a cyst on the baby's brain and a growth on my uterus. I have another u/s scheduled to check on both of those and I'm trying really hard not to stress about them in the meantime. I'm also on Fragmin, an anticoagulant.

The pain is incredible. Always. When I have to lift one leg at a time to change pants it feels like my bones are going to snap, its unbearable. I've barely slept in 8 weeks. I'm a wreck. I feel like I need my beliefs to get me through this time, tho I've never gone through a period in my life where I felt like such a void of Light.
LOTS OF HUGS! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes help comes from the strangest of places huh? Although Christians tend to be rather helpful. When I was eight (I did a stint in the hospital for about two months) and when I came home my parent's church fed us for about two months afterwards. And I'm pretty sure we had left overs. It's wonderful that you're getting help. I'm sure everything is going to be fine and your baby and you are going to pull through healthy as ever. And soon you'll be posting to us all about your new baby and how blessed your life is. Blessed Be!
#149 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl
i'm hiding out and reading the silmarillion.
Quote:
Silmarillion- Tolkien's "backstory" so to speak... it covers the religion of Middle Earth, the gods/demigods, the history of who the elves are where man came from what happens when you die, etc. Sort of a religious text, an uber historical text, and a guide to the languages all in one. It was edited together after Tolkien's death and done very quickly (his son, who edited it, said if he'd had more time it would have been different). But it's interesting!
Ah you both reminded me! I have this on my shelf and hadn't finished it. I'm going to have to pull it out and read it today while the kids are in school since I'll have a bit of quiet time. Thank you!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#150 of 946 Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Hi everyone. Wow I always seem to miss it when you are all on and chatting. How is everyone? I just wanted to say that I am very nature based. I have never been a by the book, same way twice type of person. I just go by how I feel and my surroundings. I spend most of my day outside, I feel so much better being outdoors. This time of year I really feel a lot of energy buzzing around, Fall is my favorite time. I hope to make it here when you all are chatting. Have a good day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page