UU Autumn Thread - All Welcome! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelmomma View Post
I am really interested in these dedication ceremonies you guys have shared with us. I wonder if my fellowship will ever offer any thing like this. We are a small congregation, and don't actually have a minister. Just an elected president, and we all take turns putting on the program each week. Maybe I'll bring this up. Its the ceremony something a minister does, or can some other church official do it? Hum.... lots to think about there.

Oh, and also. I have been chosen to lead our Pre-K class room. I know there isn't much structure you can offer that age group, but I don't want it to be just a free for all play time either. Are there UU children's books I could have a story time with, or do is there some sort of guide on how to lead a class of children that young? I know the babies aren't going to get much out of it, but I know that I want my three year old to start learning some UU principles, and other moms at the fellowship feel the same way. Any thoughts?

About the Dedications, I don't see why they couldn't be performed by a lay member. They are after all a ceremony representing the congregations' covenant to the the child. If your congregation did want to have them "officially" performed, perhaps a visiting minister could do the ceremony for you once or twice a year?

And about your RE class, I like the idea of a story hour for the young children. I recently found a book on a UU web site (sorry, I don't remember which one - but I believe I got it somewhere on this thread) "26 Big Things Small Hands Can Do". It is a very sweet book about all the helpful and kind things children can do, one for each letter of the alphabet. Perhaps after the story the kids could take turns acting out a kind thing that they like to do.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM

On the racial diversity topic, my minister said something this morning that was brought to his attention i want to remember to come back and post about later when I have more time.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Our preschool RE is using the Chalice Children curriculum this year.

Other UU preschool curricula include
Celebrating Me and My World
Story Time
Unitarian Universalist Alphabet
We Are Many, We Are One

If you don't want a whole formal curriculum, then I certainly agree that a story time set up with a story, a craft and/or game, a snack, and maybe an age-appropriate mini-lesson on some value or something would be fine.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
Our preschool RE is using the Chalice Children curriculum this year.

Other UU preschool curricula include
Celebrating Me and My World
Story Time
Unitarian Universalist Alphabet
We Are Many, We Are One

If you don't want a whole formal curriculum, then I certainly agree that a story time set up with a story, a craft and/or game, a snack, and maybe an age-appropriate mini-lesson on some value or something would be fine.
Thank you for all the links. I was having a hard time finding the stuff I was looking for. The Chalice Children was exactly what I had in mind. Even if I don't use it word for word, it will still give me a starting point and ideas for each week. Thank you again so much.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm wondering if we can have a monthly UU thread instead. What do you think? Shall I just start one for December?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelmomma View Post
Thank you for all the links. I was having a hard time finding the stuff I was looking for. The Chalice Children was exactly what I had in mind. Even if I don't use it word for word, it will still give me a starting point and ideas for each week. Thank you again so much.
Happy to help.

I did notice that the links to the bookstore where you can actually buy the curriclua on the pages with the descriptions I linked to above are out-of-date. You probably already found it, but here is the Chalice Children curriculum in the new UUA bookstore in case you haven't.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 PM

we are using chalice children this year, and I really don't like it much.

we in the past used the UU alphabet, which was better than I thought (upon first reviewing the text, my dh dubbed it "A is for abstract thought"!), and Celebrating Me and My World, which was pretty good, though we didn't get through half of it.

I *think* we used Story Time my first year of teaching, but that was three years and one baby ago, so those braincells have been removed...; )

I find chalice children low on the craft/activity side, unless those activities involve an insane amount of preparation. It also was heavy on special events/holidays, and low on regular daily curriculum, which made it challenging lining up topics with dates - after all, should we do both passover AND easter, and if so, when do we do them?

Me I would love to find a preschool curriculum that focused on the 7 principles and more concrete lessons and some good craft ideas to link in with the principles. I should check out "we are many, we are one".

Honestly, if I had the time, I'd write a curriculum - we end up having to rewrite what is provided anyway.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm trying this out, tentatively. I grew up in the UU church, even considered becoming a UU reverend for a period of time, but then my spiritual journey took me to other churches where I soaked up all the truth I could. Now that I've become a mama, out of the typical mainstream, I find myself missing the liberal, "alternative" and political community that makes the UU church feel like home to me. I tried a couple of years ago to enter into the UU community in the city I had moved to and didn't feel exceptionally welcomed by the leadership of the church. I thought after that experience I could be content to stay away, but I continue to feel drawn back to the UU church. I'm not sure how I want to go about it, so I'm starting by feeling my way here. Think of me as a little gun-shy after my experiences that made me feel like an outsider in the place I grew up.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM

I am really thinking of becoming a real "member" next week!!!: We started attending in the first week of Sept. and feel so at home I am also looking into the child dedication service for ds (they do one each year usually on Mother's Day awww).

We sang a song this week that made me tear up and it was about love and hope and there was one part about watching your baby grow up *sniff*

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
Do you happen to participate in Second Life at all? I have read about a UU church in that virtual world, though I have never spoked to anyone who participated.
I've never heard of that.
Interesting idea.

I think I found it-
http://www.fuucsl.org/secondlife.html

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
I've never heard of that.
Interesting idea.

I think I found it-
http://www.fuucsl.org/secondlife.html
This is very interesting. Thanks for finding the link. I went from your link to the home page where I watched the video. Then I saw a link to a video called liturgical dancing. I watched this and my programmer mind was busy wondering if the dancers are avatars controlled by different people or if the whole thing is a script created by one person. And was it originally a video or was it incorporated into one of their virtual services? I'm not sure these are the questions UU is supposed to inspire us to seek answers to.

Just kidding. I can see where attending a virtual church could be worthwhile if you cannot get to a physical church. If you do that please let us know what it is like!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I'm wondering if we can have a monthly UU thread instead. What do you think? Shall I just start one for December?
Please come over to this poll and express your opinion on this question. Even if you couldn't care less. Visitors and passers-through too!

The poll will only be open for two weeks!

(Yes, I apparently have way too much time on my hands : )

Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm hoping I can fit a question in before we start a new thread! (which BTW, I am fine w/however we do it)

I am becoming an official member of our UU this weekend. In the ceremony, they ask that we share a sentance about why we are joining the church. This will be read by our minister as we walk up to the front of the church. My first thought is simply, "to have a spiritual home for myself and my children". Any thoughts on how I can add to this, make it a little more - oh I don't know - meaningful? poetic? pleasing to the ear?

TIA!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM

I think the new thread should happen December 21st if we follow the solstice then I can know when to look for the new one!

does it have to be your words? can you quote Emerson or Forrest something? How about a place to grow our spirits? A place for community? Maybe start with a list of what you love about the church and go from there!

I wanted to come check and and say that we too have become members. I'm so excited!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraven721 View Post

does it have to be your words? can you quote Emerson or Forrest something? How about a place to grow our spirits? A place for community? Maybe start with a list of what you love about the church and go from there!

I wanted to come check and and say that we too have become members. I'm so excited!
Yes, a quote was something I was thinking about! I am not very up on my literature, so if anyone knows any appropriate quotes off hand I'd love to hear them.

Congratulations on becoming a member of your UU.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 PM

http://uuvisalia.org/spirit/quotes.html

gl! and congratulations to you too!!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraven721 View Post
I think the new thread should happen December 21st if we follow the solstice then I can know when to look for the new one!

Congratulations, mraven!

If we stick with seasonal I will create a winter one on December 21. I like tying into the solstices and equinoxes too, but with all the activity these threads have been getting, they do seem to get excessively large by the end of the season. Lots of activity is great of course! :

Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
Yes, a quote was something I was thinking about! I am not very up on my literature, so if anyone knows any appropriate quotes off hand I'd love to hear them.

Congratulations on becoming a member of your UU.
Congratulations!

Actually I think "to have a spiritual home for myself and my children" is fine as is - honest, heartfelt, and quite meaningful. But if you want a quote, this page has tons of wonderful quotes (click on the links). In the Quotes on Unitarian Universalism section I found this quote by Rev. Barbara Pescan (she was my minister's mentor!) that might be appropriate, though it's a little long:

Quote:
“We are a community of seekers covenanted to walk together in the ways of integrity and service. Here, we open time and make room to reflect on the questions. Here, we help each other find the courage and commitment to live fully toward what answers we might find and within the mysteries that abide. Here, the whole community may see itself gathered to celebrate its common life. Here, we promise to keep our minds and hearts open to each other and to what lies beyond our certainties to what is yet to unfold.”

Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Ladies, I need some help on the tact issue. It's an area where I'm admittedly lacking.

Our congregation needs some help in the childcare department. If you'll recall, I'm the one in the emerging congregation, so everything's still in a planning stage. When we started going, we were told childcare was available at every service. Yay! Then the teen who was providing the childcare got a role in a local play, so she's not available.

Now it's a rotation of parents, but what it seems to mean is that either DH or I have nursery duty a lot. We have service only 2X a month, so it leaves a lot of time between services together, which is important to me.

A few weeks ago I mentioned the lack of childcare as a problem and was told they were working on it. They have budgeted to pay someone. The woman who's supposed to be doing it has 2 names of CPR-trained sitters. I told them that my PT nanny has mentioned looking for more hours and may be interested, too. So far...nothing.

Now I want to mention it again, but that's where I need help. I don't want to seem needy/pushy, but I want to help solve this. I'm perfectly willing to offer to make the contacts if needed. I just don't want to step on anyone's toes and would appreciate some help re: wording.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Who are you talking to about it? The minister? The RE director? Some sort of hospitality committee?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Who are you talking to about it? The minister? The RE director? Some sort of hospitality committee?
We use a Yahoo group as our primary means of communication. We don't yet have a minister or an RE person. We have a three-member committee that basically works as the "advisory board," for lack of a better term. (There is a term for them, but I can't remember it right now.) One of the women on that group is the one who's supposed to be calling.

The only reason I hesitate to send it over the Yahoo group is that there are far more people on the list than come to service. I don't want to turn people off by potential conflict (Conflict doesn't bother me so much, but I know some people are squeamish about it.) Perhaps I should email those 3 individually?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 PM

I'd start there, yes, by emailing the three individually.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 AM

okay I see, yep I agree I would email the three of them, all on the same CC. But not the whole group.

The hardest part of being UU I find is our congregations are never actually as big in numbers as needed to meet all the things we want to accomplish. Be it social justice, choir, or RE. The result is many people in congregations wind up with burn out. So I think the best policy is to speak up, and do so early.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
The hardest part of being UU I find is our congregations are never actually as big in numbers as needed to meet all the things we want to accomplish. Be it social justice, choir, or RE. The result is many people in congregations wind up with burn out. So I think the best policy is to speak up, and do so early.
this is true of us as well, and we have 200 members.

that, and organizing UUs is like herding cats...

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM

New monthly thread: - http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post12763281

Hope to see you all there!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

User Tag List