Where do I start? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just not sure what I believe in anymore. The more and more I think about it, I just don't fit in to any religious catagory. My DH and I were talking about how we should probably be raising DS with some sort of belief system, but we couldn't figure out what we ourselves believed.

I was raised without really a solid church/ religion backgroud. We were always taught about god and that you needed to be nice to other people. But that was just about it. We rarely attended church (that I can remember). My husband was raised Catholic but he no longer believes in any of that.

So where do we start? I do believe that there is some higher power out there. But I do not believe that he or she has anything to do with the majority of life here on earth. I do not think that any higher power has anything to do with conception because I have struggled with infertility as I watch teenage/ drug addicts get pregnant with ease. I don't believe that any higher power "chooses" who gets to have a child and who doesn't. That is a matter of biology to me. I don't believe that the higher power has anything to do with death either.

Anyway ideas about where I should begin? I am overwhelmed.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#2 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Well, I think checking out Unitarian Universalism would be a good place to start. Obviously I'm biased because I am UU and I love it, but I have good, objective reasons for saying this as well. The UU "philosophy" is that we are all learning and growing spiritually so it is an attractive faith for those who are in the process of defining what they believe. There is even an adult religious education program called Building Your Own Theology. Because UU is non-creedal it is often a good way for mixed faith couples to provide a spiritual home for their children. I have read UU children's RE described as having the goal of giving children the tools and knowledge they need to truly figure out for themselves what they believe. My church has a lot of former Catholics, I think because they found themselves questioning or outright rejecting some or a lot of what they were being taught, but they want to be part of a spiritual community. In UU you are encouraged to question things and you are not expected to agree with everything the minister or anyone else says.

Or, you can always take the beliefnet quiz.

Good luck in your journey!

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#3 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post

Or, you can always take the beliefnet quiz.
:

It's not perfect but if nothing else it's fun to do!
#4 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi nummies, I'm right there with you. We are positive we want to raise all our kids with a very solid belief in God but for the life of me I cannot find a religion I fit in well. I was raised Jehovah's Witness, DH was raised Catholic. BTW, my (2nd) DH & I only met 4 yrs ago, my 1st two kids I had with my 1st DH who didn't care much about religion so I didn't give it a whole ton of thought until more recently...

Anyway, I was Pagan for many years but finally started feeling unfulfilled by that. I lovelove some of the teachings of Christianity (I adore how family centered they are) & I lovelove some of Hinduism's teachings. So that's where I am these days, lost somewhere between Paganism, Hinduism & Christianity. I am constantly thinking about all thhis, too! I have SOo many questions running around my head all the time. I see God & awesome divinity in nature..... but don't know how to explain things like tornadoes for goodness sake!

oops, I have to run... be back!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#5 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 PM

I totally second the rec for the UU church. I just started and feel so so so happy!

Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezp1W2HKlU

The best part is they are accepting of all faiths.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 11 Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The UU church is very liberal, humanist & politically correct. If you are more traditional family minded or conservative in the least it probably wouldn't be a good fit for you. But otherwise, I personally didn't enjoy my UU experience, even though everyone there was VERY nice & I appreciated that a lot. I found it so ... scattered. There are members there that don't even believe in God, or believe in one or 52 of them. And sitting through the sermon felt kind of like sitting in a class on all the religions. Like the minister would say things like "if you are christian you may feel this way about Easter, if you are athiest you might feel this way about Easter, if you are Jewish Easter might mean this to you..., etc". It didn't feel "solid" to me. Like, I personally am hoping to find someplace with an active Sunday school so my kids can grow up with like minded friends.... but if we were in UU, who knows if any of the kids in the class would actually even be "like minded", y'know?

Anyway, that was my experience. I do recommend you try it out though, you never know if it may work for your family. And they were like the nicest people ever!

DH & I stay up waay too late at least a few times a week these days, discussing religion. I'm completely fascinated , and confused, by it all.

As for your question on "where to begin", I personally started by getting a Bible study book from the library & pulled out our Witness, Catholic & KJV Bibles & started reading/comparing/studying. I also have been studying a Hinduism based church called Ananda. They have a ton of free online stuff to study & books to read. I've visited their church but it's so QUIET. They do meditations & such & so it doesn't feel very family friendly. The Sunday school is tiny. Sigh.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#7 of 11 Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! I am going to look around for a UU church for us to try out.

Glad to know that I am not the only one in this situation. I am like you zjande! Constantly asking questions about faith.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#8 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM

I would also just recommend reading. I really dont think there is a one size fits all. I draw from so many places for my spiritaulity. My undergraduate degree is in world religions.... and I found so much that resonated with me outside of my faith background and have been able to integrate it into my spiritaul life in truly rewarding ways. I'm a 'reader' so I guess that is partly where this comes from.... but just going to the bookstore and wandering through the religion section and grabbing books that look interesting to you.

If you are looking for a faith community, UU may be a good option but I'd still recommend doing the above. See what resonates with you...

For instance, my spirituality is deeply rooted in nature. I feel God's presence (for me I personally believe in one God) in nature.. in the grass underneath my feet, in the breeze blowing. Thats where I return to.

So another thing is to think of what you are truly passionate about, or the places you feel at peace, or the things that light you up inside... and start there.

(Wow that sounded far more froo froo than I meant it too!)

Mama to two boys (1/07 and 3/09) and due with baby #3 in May.
#9 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Jamie! That makes total sense to me. Do you have any specific books that you can recommend to me? I really can't talk about this on our other board because I...well I don't know why I can't. Thank again hun!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#10 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 PM

I understand... let me look through my book shelves and see if there is anything I'd recommend!

Mama to two boys (1/07 and 3/09) and due with baby #3 in May.
#11 of 11 Old 10-05-2008, 12:07 AM

The UU church is great and a lot depends on the specific community but wanted to pass on our WONDERFUL spiritual experience with the Unity Church.

It's similar in that it accepts most paths as different pathways to the One/Christ consciousness. I really, really love as do many of my likeminded friends. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I consider myself FWIW primarily a Buddhist with some pagan leanings....I feel like all is accepted in Unity and they often quote other spiritual traditions in service, teach meditation

I guess IHME/O, Unity church is still very very spiritual feeling to me, and the UU felt more community service oriented and as some other poster mentioned, scattered. I love the music, and everything else about our Unity Church. HTH and blessings on your spiritual journey:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page