~huzzah! it's october! *pagan family circle*~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lionessmom - no makeup? Its so great to find someone else who doesn't do the makeup thing! I rarely hear/see someone else who doesn't wear makeup. The only time I do wear it is for weddings or such when there will be tons of photos and my red face does not photo well.

I used to be goth in highschool, so maybe I'm making up for the excess of makeup I wore then I had a boyfriend in high school ask me one day when I came to school in all black, black and red cloak (my gma made for me ), vampire fangs, and cat eye contacts... "why do you do that?" "Why not?" I also told him if it kept people from harassing those that they are mean to everyday then it was worth whatever was said to me. I also was called into the prinicipals office that day he asked what I was trying to say, my response... "Meow" I think I was much smarter as a kid, my brain was certainly sharper.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#122 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
well i am off to watch buffy, an dream about waking up and finding spike tied up in my bath tub, why should they have all the fun?
Ooohh Yeah! Send him my way when you are done

Tomarrow I get to take my little one to the Renn Fest in MD with my hubby. Maryland does a great Renn Fest for anyone in the area. I want to get my hubbys palms read. He is my tester to see how good the palm reader is. If she does a good job reading him then I will get mine read. My hubby has an unusual palm, he has TWO Simeon lines. No wonder he drives me nutz some times

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#123 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 01:46 PM

I don't wear makeup... growing up my mom didn't allow it so while all the other girls went through the "look like a clown" phase in junior high (it was the 80s, so some of that may have been intentional) but were makeup pros by college... I was trailing the pack and just didn't want to bother.

I have used makeup, and I'm pretty good with stage makeup, and sometimes I wish I had makeup to play with but...well... maybe someday.

I used to go clubbing (ManRay in Boston) with a friendly-goth look (black leather pants, knee high black leather "combat" boots, black leather vest style corset, but moderate makeup and simple silver jewelry), but I was always more on the cute punk end in my daily casual wear.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#124 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Haven't read the thread yet (I will...promise to myself...) but wanted to post an update on Sam ~

So this past Wednesday (October 1) Sam had his halo removed! Soo very happy about that! I will be doing my final bit of RT training this upcoming Wednesday (taking Sam out of his room "portable" ~ which means Sam in his wheelchair with no extra trailing bits of equipment, everything will be stored on his chair). Once I am signed off on that, we will be able to schedule his discharge date! About damn time.

Yesterday was a big day in that I got to give Sam a bath. Oh sweet gods...he needed one. It's going to take several to get down to the skin (the vest part of his halo made it impossible to wash him adequately so there's a lot of built up dead skin that needs to be sloughed away). I will be working on that over the next few days, which means also that we'll be figuring out the best way to get him to the bath and in and out of it. It's a tricky thing with him still being on the ventilator and needing constant support throughout the entire process. Next thing is giving him the haircut he wants (he likes his hair short!) and scrubbing his head (which is in much the same state as his chest and back).

Sam has consistent feeling to his fingertips on both hands now, and intermittent feeling on both feet! It feels like it's been forever, but when I stop and think, it's still really only been 3 months, which is nothing. He's so strong and I'm so proud of him. He's terribly excited about coming home and I can't wait to get him here.
#125 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Update on me ~

Things are rather a lot in a state of flux in my life. I've met yet another man who is amazing and asks me the hard questions that make me think and question my choices. Somehow, karma has chosen this to be the year of the new on so many levels for me.

Now is a good time for change and I see a lot of major ones happening by Samhain this year. Definitely going to be the start of a new year for me.

Much love to all you ladies for all the support you've given me over the past year and a half. You're all amazing. :
#126 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 03:08 PM

I obviously missed something big while I was away from the pagan mamas!

Jeni! It sounds like things are going really great for you.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#127 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Jeni that is such great news! i couldnt help but post even if i promised myself i would just pop in for one lat read before i am off for a week. That is such awesome awesome news and has made my week!
#128 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 PM

batty- have fun! recharge well!

Maevey- HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:::

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#129 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Jeni- I want to thank you for texting me with the news. I was SO happy to read that!
You and Sam are in my thoughts.

Makeup: I don't wear any. I keep telling myself to put some one before I leave the house but I never do.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#130 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 04:06 PM

I wear make-up, I think its fun and yeah, I do lack confidence too. Although, I will admit I have more confidence than I used to. Make-up makes me feel pretty danged hot when I take my time with it.

#131 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Mavey-Sam is doing so well. I bet it feels good to get more normalcy back, like baths and hair cuts. :
*smiles* the universe definately likes to play with us and make us think.

Makeup- I switched to mineral based makeup and love it. I usually wear burts bees lip tints, foundation and a bit of eye liner and shadow. Very minnimal and easy.
DH put in a movie----gotta run

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#132 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM

Just watched a good anime movie. Origin: Spirits of the Past
(even ds watched it with me. It does have some violence in it but nothing gory. It's the first movie with any sort of violence that I let ds watch.)

#133 of 675 Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

I have been reading today. Its been all stormy outside and I have some lovely candles going. I am now taking a break to journal and then I will go back to reading most likely. I want to finish "Celebrating The Great Mother" before I move onto something else.

#134 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
thought you'd like that! and lol, thank you. do i get a crown?
sending vibes for a smooth transition!!!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
....i still have this pagan vs new age conversation running in my head, and it keeps getting more and more muddled..
For me the difference is about a zero on the price tag lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
My post got deleted, I finally violated the UA lol.
Hehehe naughty! Good luck on the interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
Sounds like everyone has neat festival stuff to go to : why do I have to live in the middle of the bible belt.
Been there, done that hun It really does suck doesn't it.. but htere ARE pagans in the bible belt aside from you honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
lionessmom - no makeup? Its so great to find someone else who doesn't do the makeup thing! I rarely hear/see someone else who doesn't wear makeup.
I love makeup, always have. I wish I had the skin to go without it, but my skin is blotchy and awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
Haven't read the thread yet (I will...promise to myself...) but wanted to post an update on Sam ~
How exciting!!! Tell him we're thinking good thoughts for him and I hope he enjoys his bath hehehe.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#135 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 AM

So cold this morning! If I have enough strength, I'll go to a local farm with ds so that he can pick out a pumpkin. Then I have to pick up a few things from the grocery store.
I'm coughing like crazy. Wish I had family near me that could help out. I really don't have the energy to go to the grocery store. ugh.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

#136 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM

DOK- Wish we lived closer we would help out with Roo so you could rest. feel better!

Coffee is brewing and i am eating left overs, so not such a bad start. It's definately chilly this morning. I am in my fleece sweatshirt, and pj's.

We are visiting my parents today, having a birthday party for Gilli, my Mom and brothers girlfriends dd. i need to make soup and cookies.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#137 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM

I finally got a coffee maker. (Got a deal from Gevalia: Stainless coffee maker; Stainless thermal carafe; and travel mug for $14.95)

Trouble is, I'm out of cream.

#138 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Morning all. I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I hope all the sick ones are feeling better.

I wore tons of makeup when I was a teen. Early 80's. Man I look back at the photos and laugh! Lots and Lots of blue from eyelash to eyebrow!! I even had shoes that matched my eyeshadow! I thought I was something! I don't wear any makeup now. Even if I try for a special event, and have the bare minimum on, I feel like a fool.

I am trying to have a balance though. As my hair is starting to get a few grey strands, I am wondering if I will dye it?? In my quest to be natural, my poor dh sometimes thinks I am too natural.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#139 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
iok-- i know you're a goth mama, batty, but several people have mentioned the goth look as synonymous with Paganism. what's up with that? most of the Pagans i know look like hippies.
*however*-- i was a goth chick once, way back in the day and i was just getting a taste of Wicca at the time. after i got sober, i realized the Goddess was smacking me upside the head for some time, but i just didn't get it
so-- if this is an ok topic for y'all-- (you goth mamas)-- what does goth mean to you? even if it's just "i like the look", or if there's lots deeper, i'd like to hear about it. and maybe i will chime in on what it was for me, or what i thought it meant for me way back then
I meant to come back and answer this, what does being goth mean to me:

I will be honest, as a teen it was all about the shock factor. I was a "good" girl, as in my folks could pretty much ignore me while they focused on my brother the "problem child." I didn't have a curfew, no one cared about my report card since I always got all A's, I never even had a bed time since I knew how much sleep I needed and got it. So my wearing black and doing the punk/metalhead/goth thing got a small rise from my folks. Can't say it bothered my teachers and it suited my friends just fine. As I got older and relaxed into the gothic mindset, I found a comfort area that I didn't realize I had.

Curently, it's still about non-conformity to the masses. But it's really about being true to my personal philosophy which may be darker and much more fluid than some than some folk, but my life shaped me and I am cool with that. It's about my outside matching my inside, as my DP says, "You are fine with the world seeing your moral flexibity."

It's funny I don't do makeup any more either unless I am going all out, maybe 3 - 5 times a year. Although that may change if I get better at bellydancing and let my friend convince me into joining her tribal group. But even then, it will only be eyeliner and lip pencil and they will just have to live with my tan lines from gardening and other outdoor play. I don't do parasols anymore.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#140 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Morning!

I am entering the giddy phase of waiting for DH to come home. Its only for about 4 days but, I am just so freaking excited. I can't stop smiling, I must look pretty crazy. I bet I'll be a million times worse when this deploment ends.

#141 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Yay Bella! Enjoy! :

#142 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 PM

I plan on it, especially since this may be his only trip home on the deployment.

#143 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Hey, did anyone read my post about the movie I just watched with ds? I want to know if anyone else has seen it and what you thought.

#144 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Hey, did anyone read my post about the movie I just watched with ds? I want to know if anyone else has seen it and what you thought.
I've never seen it. I haven't watched Anime in over a month. Last thing I watched was the whole Cowboy Bebop collection, including the movie.

#145 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Cowboy Bebop! LURVE it! People used to tell me all the time that I'm Ed. The movie was good to, and the manga is fun. My sig for a loooooong time was
Quote:
I think I know, I don't think I know, I don't think I think I know, I don't think I think.
Hmmmm.... maybe it's time to bring that one back?

DoK- haven't seen that one. I'll add it to our netflick queue though. DD1 loves My Neighbor Totoro, but we haven't been watching much anime recently... mostly DH has been getting big Chinese action epics (Hero, House of Flying Daggers, etc) and then there's FireFly and Galactica dvds when dd2 wont sleep.

#146 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
We haven't seen that one. Will have to see if the comic book store has it to rent. If it's good we'll add it to our anime collection.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#147 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Just an FYI: I wouldn't let a child under 5 or 6 watch the movie.

#148 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 PM

I don't watch anime- don't know why, just haven't I guess.

Well, it is nice to be home. I was at my cousins house and *ugh* they were burning plastic cups and i asked them not to, and they thought it was fun. and i qoute "but its better than putting them in the landfill", o.k. or we could wash them and reuse them. :

#149 of 675 Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I love makeup, always have. I wish I had the skin to go without it, but my skin is blotchy and awful
well, when i was Gawthic i of course wore tons. my skin is naturally pretty white so i didn't have to wear foundation, but i did. i had platinum white hair, though, simply *because* everybody else had black. now i look like an aging hippie, and i actually do <gasp> wear clothing in colors, but black is still the default and for makeup, in summer i have a slight tan, so no foundation, but i do wear eyeliner (sometimes), mascara and lip color always. in winter i wear foundation, eyeliner (most of the time), and mascara and lip color always. now i'm really into glitter eyeshadow/liner, but not overtly-- it's a kind of a faery thing, i guess

Quote:
I'm coughing like crazy. Wish I had family near me that could help out. I really don't have the energy to go to the grocery store. ugh.
don't you so hate that? i totally relate, DOK.
the unfortunate thing is, i'm actually glad family doesn't live near, because my mom made it abundantly clear to both my brother and me that she is NOT a babysitter (pinch hit, yes, but very last resort, even when we are visiting it's clear that the kids are *our* responsibility at all times, except when she can't keep her mouth shut about our discipline methods and has to pipe in). : i'd be SO peeved if she actually lived closer. dunno about my bro-- we'd probably trade off. but his girls are old enough now not to need sitting.

Quote:
I finally got a coffee maker. (Got a deal from Gevalia: Stainless coffee maker; Stainless thermal carafe; and travel mug for $14.95)

woohoo, i love Gevalia! only it's hard not to keep buying the stuff-- their chocolate raspberry is to DIE for.
i always keep a container of powdered creamer in the back of the cabinet for just such an occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
So my wearing black and doing the punk/metalhead/goth thing got a small rise from my folks...

As I got older and relaxed into the gothic mindset, I found a comfort area that I didn't realize I had.

Curently, it's still about non-conformity to the masses. ....It's about my outside matching my inside

It's funny I don't do makeup any more either unless I am going all out, maybe 3 - 5 times a year.
there was no such thing as goth, or even punk yet, when i was in high school i graduated in '77 and then went to college, where punk was a brand new thing BUT since it was so new, it *really* got a rise out of people and back then it was so different. in the beginning i wore jeans and saddle shoes and big huge white men's button-down shirts and skinny ties, a'la cheap trick or elvis costello maybe. then it evolved to many brilliant day-glo colors, then punk started splintering down into factions, like goth or hardcore or whatever. i started wearing thick black eyeliner way before anyone i knew, and i got the idea from-- a Ventures album circa 1964 or so and Edie Sedgewick.
but yes, i agree with much of the above. what you wrote.

i like the part about setting into the Gothic mindset. at first i veered more and more towards goth because my new lover was gothic. then i got into it for myself.

non-conformity to the masses-- i found this utterly hilarious one-frame cartoon in our local rag a coupla years ago. it was three chicks, all wearing matching black T-shirts and pants and hair and smoking cigs and looking utterly chill, watching a guy in a suit cross the street, and one says to the other two, "i hate conformists"

i barely wear makeup anymore, and my hair is just a spiral curled long mess, and i look at goth kids with a heart full of love and understanding, but they don't recognize me to them i'm just an aging fat hippie mama. they don't know who i *really* am. and it'd look just silly for a nearly 49yo woman to be dressing that way anymore. but it's still inside, and i feel a kinship even if they don't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
I don't watch anime- don't know why, just haven't I guess.

Well, it is nice to be home. I was at my cousins house and *ugh* they were burning plastic cups and i asked them not to, and they thought it was fun. and i qoute "but its better than putting them in the landfill", o.k. or we could wash them and reuse them. :
mmm, yeah, way better than the landfill-- let's just BREATHE in them toxins, yeah! mmm, yum.

i don't watch anime at all. sorry can't help there!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#150 of 675 Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
So cold this morning! If I have enough strength, I'll go to a local farm with ds so that he can pick out a pumpkin. Then I have to pick up a few things from the grocery store.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
So jealous! I used to do an annual trip to the nearby pumpkin farm where they had hay rides out to the field to pick your pumpkins, a working cider press and free samples (and then I walked away with a couple of big jugs because it was SO irresistible!), pony rides and just generally everything Autumn : Hope it was wonderful! and hope you feel a bit better

Quote:
Am I weird in that milk is the norm for our coffees? lol I never really drank coffee back in the states so I think it may be a cultural thing... Aussies go for milk in theirs. So if you have that you may salvage the whole thing yet lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
Morning!

I am entering the giddy phase of waiting for DH to come home. Its only for about 4 days but, I am just so freaking excited. I can't stop smiling, I must look pretty crazy. I bet I'll be a million times worse when this deploment ends.
Hehehe I'm guessing we wont' see much of you while he's home? Have a wonderful time reconnecting!

Quote:
I think I ended up skimming on my replies when there were THREE PAGES to catch up on lol. So, no.. I think I missed it I see from replies that it was anime something though? My kids (and hubby lol) would undoubtedly love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
OMG It always blows me away that people do not know (or care) that burning plastic IS toxic ffs : Welcome home :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
now i'm really into glitter eyeshadow/liner, but not overtly-- it's a kind of a faery thing, i guess
I have a gorgeous glittery eye shadow loose powdery stuff (technical terms ) that is a pale gold and brown. I totally feel the faery vibe when I wear it

Quote:
i always keep a container of powdered creamer in the back of the cabinet for just such an occasion.
:Puke We shall never speak of this again I cannot describe the absolute desperation I would have to be in to go there girl lol

Quote:
i barely wear makeup anymore, and my hair is just a spiral curled long mess, and i look at goth kids with a heart full of love and understanding, but they don't recognize me to them i'm just an aging fat hippie mama. they don't know who i *really* am. and it'd look just silly for a nearly 49yo woman to be dressing that way anymore. but it's still inside, and i feel a kinship even if they don't know it.
That is just completely cool.

Ok news of the day (I don't think I shared this? lol) We bought RATS for the kids this weekend : They are so bloody cute and friendly. I just watched them having a tussle in the cage and Nibbles (white rat) scampered off to the 'igloo' with the spoils of victory (a green bean lol) in his clutches I totally think these rats are for us as much as for the kids

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page