Saying Grace before meals w/young children - please share yours - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have started saying grace before our Sunday dinners, as we are trying to implement some new family traditions and bring more spirituality into our lives. Our children are 2, 4, 7, & 8 and we are UU. I'd like to come up w/a nice, simple grace that we can all say together, giving thanks as a family. Any suggestions?

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#2 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 PM

We wrote ours as a family.

We are thankful, God, for our life, our loving family, our home and the food before us.
Please bless those who grew our food, prepared this meal and will clean up after it.
Amen

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 05:45 PM

We say "Thank you God for this good food! Bless it to our bodies and bless those who prepared it for us. Amen". The kids usually add "And bless our Baba" since dh is often at work when we have meals.
#4 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM

we've always used the standard Catholic version: Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#5 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 07:26 PM

I never thought about having a memorized prayer to say. we just pray usually something like " thank you for this food; please to our bodies" and we say thanks for whatever we're grateful for - my daughter usually say "thanks we had such a great day!" even if we didn't hehe

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#6 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM

"Blessings on the blossoms, blessing on the fruit, blessing on the leaves and stems, blessings on the root, blessings on our dinner!"
#7 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 08:24 PM

The kids have several that they learned at preschool that we use. (they go to a Christian preschool and then homeschool)

1. Thank you for the world so sweet, thank you for the food we eat, than you for hte birds that sing, thank you God for everything. Amen

2. Oh the Lord is good to me, and so i thank the Lord, for giving me the things I need, the sun and rain and the apple seed, the Lord is good to me. Ah-men, Ah-men, Ah-men, Ah-men (they say Ah=men about 6 times)

3. (Sung in a rock tune) God is great, God is good, and we thank him for our food, we're gonna thank hime morning noon and night, we're gonna thank our God cause he's outta sight , Amen, do=do=do dooot YEAH!

All 3 know all of them by heart and say them, even our almost 2 year old.
#8 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 PM

We just have everyone pray. Right now my younger two usually say "Oh Lord, thank you for everything. May we eat now?" :
Dh, older dd and I may pray various things depending on what is going on. We may pray "Thank you Lord that you are the real food and the real drink. or Thank you for caring for us, help us to grow more in your life."
For a while my son was including interesting things in his prayers like "thank you Lord for gravity, air and the universe", but it got to be a contest with his younger sister and so while we appreciate the variety, the contest type praying ended.
#9 of 47 Old 10-05-2008, 09:48 PM

A day care I was at recently said this one" We sit right down and softly say, thank you for our food today".

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#10 of 47 Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Not the one we use, but this one might appeal?
Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the friends we meet,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you Lord for everything.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#11 of 47 Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM

We sing this at preschool before meals:
"Blessings on the blossoms, blessing on the fruit, blessing on the leaves and stems, blessings on the root".
#12 of 47 Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM

These are so sweet! We might have to expand our repertoire

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#13 of 47 Old 10-06-2008, 03:50 PM

These are great! We've always used the one DH grew up with, and it's fine, but these feel better to me.

His family's: Come Lord Jesus, be our guest, and let thy gifts to us be blessed Amen.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#14 of 47 Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 PM

Beyond Johnny Appleseed, the Rocking God is Good/Great and Come Lord Jesus (in English or German) my kids like shark and superman...

Shark (Make a shark fin above your head, moving up and down and to the tune of jaws getting faster as you go)
God is good and God is great, and we thank Him for this food Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Superman (With arms up like you are flying, first to the right then to the left as you sing each line to the tune of the Superman theme song)
We thank you Lord for giving us food
For the food that we e-at
For the friends that we me-et
A-
men

Fun thread

K- Mama to : and :
#15 of 47 Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM

God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food. By His hands we all are fed, give us Lord our daily bread, Amen

God our Father, God our Father
We thank Thee, We thank Thee
for our many blessings, for our many blessings
A-amen - a-amen
(sung to the tune of Fara jackah (sp?) / Brother John)
#16 of 47 Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

These are all so wonderful! Thank you everyone for sharing. I'm looking forward to trying them out with my family.

#17 of 47 Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM

We hold hands and say "Thank you for our food and bless it to the nourishment of our bodies. Amen." This is part of the prayer my father usually says. My FIL often includes in his (much longer) prayers "...and bless the hands that prepared our meal". I'm considering including this as DS gets older (not 3 yet, but he can say "nourishment"!)

HTH!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#18 of 47 Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalScrapper View Post
God our Father, God our Father
We thank Thee, We thank Thee
for our many blessings, for our many blessings
A-amen - a-amen
(sung to the tune of Fara jackah (sp?) / Brother John)
I LOVE this - except we'll sing the first line as "God our Mother, God our Father" - thanks for the great new blessing!

We usually sing the Johnny Appleseed blessing, or DS says a blessing. Its always fun (and funny!) to hear the things he's thinking about and thankful for. Sometimes its profound "Dear God, thank you for kids and love and forgiveness." and sometimes its hilarious: "Dear God, thank you for builders... who build buildings... building that have DVDs in them..."

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#19 of 47 Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM

We don't make ds say a prayer unless he wants to. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Someone always prays, though. DS's usually go something like this "Dear God, thank you for this day, thank you for this food, thank you for momma, thank you for daddy, thank you for this day, thank you for this day, thank you for this day... um, amen!"
#20 of 47 Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Blessings on the blossom, blessings on the fruit, blessings on the leaf and stem, blessings on the root
This is the sung blessing they use at DD1's waldorf preschool so it's the one we've been using at home recently. However, we've also used:

"May you never hunger, may you never thirst" (said in a sort of "telephone" game style where the first person says this to the person on their right, and then that person says it to the person on right, and so on until the blessing is passed back to the first person). This is a really good blessing for big family gatherings or social events where people are bringing different beliefs or "spiritual comfort levels" to the table.

"Our hands have worked for peace and justice, our hands have worked to heal the land, gather round our family table, let us feast and bless the land" (which is an adaptation of a tune sung at many Reclaiming events and you can probably find the tune online or through the main Reclaiming website... I know it's on some of their cds. The tune is really easy to learn and works as a round if you're ambitious.)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#21 of 47 Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM

We were UU, but our grace came from what my dad said with his family (episcopalian maybe?

"Bless us, O Lord, this food to our use, and us to thy faithful service. Amen."
#22 of 47 Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM

"Please Lord Jesus be our guest and let these gifts unto us be blessed. Amen."

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#23 of 47 Old 10-09-2008, 01:04 PM

I have been thinking about saying grace more consistently with my kiddos. I like the idea of using a short memorized prayer. This thread is so inspiring! :Thank you!!!!
#24 of 47 Old 10-09-2008, 02:48 PM

Lord Jesus be our holy guest,
Our morning joy, our evening rest.
And with our daily bread, impart
thy love and peace to every heart.
Amen
#25 of 47 Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM

my dear friend has always done "gratefuls" which is like this

they all hold hands (and when we are over for dinner we are included!) and say what they are grateful from the day. it's sweet and i wish we remebered to do it more often at my house but we don't often eat dinner with dh since he gets home so late.

this friend also happens to be dd's 2nd grade teacher and is incredibly thoughtful and kind with the students as she is with her own. when the kids have an altercation at school, they are required to apologize and then say 3 nice things to each other. the other day i overheard one boy say to the other "you have a nice haircut, you are a nice boy, you are a very nice boy"

made me and dh laugh for days and now we say it alot around here!!

sorry, OT but i had to share!
#26 of 47 Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

We do:
God is great
God is good
Let us thank Him for our food.
Amen.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#27 of 47 Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 PM

I've said "piep, piep, piep, wir hab uns alle liep - piep, piep, piep, guten appetit!" Which is cute. Usually we just say the blessing over the bread - "baruch ata adonai, eloheinu melech ha'olam, hamotzi lechem min ha'aretz."

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#28 of 47 Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Not the one we use, but this one might appeal?
Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the friends we meet,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you Lord for everything.
That is nice, it reminds me of a thank you prayer by erm... Emerson I believe?

We may use this thanks!
#29 of 47 Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I just came acros another that I like a lot from a UU RE booklet:

Thank you God for all life brings
for health and play and all good things
and help me use my heart and mind
to make me strong and keep me kind. Amen.

What we have been doing is compiling a norebook of all the wonderful graces you all have been sharing and each child chooses one to read if they'd like at Sunday dinner. I am hoping our book can be something that I pass down to my children.

#30 of 47 Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 PM

Of course, I come from a very different religion than you do, and you may feel this is very old-fashioned: but, I want to share my experience, and hopefully it will help you. I don't expect you to do everything we do: but, you could probably take some idea from it.

In our house, the head of the house who is the man of the house says grace for everyone. When a woman wants to say grace, her head must be covered in showing her deep respect for the man, the superior one of the house. If a girlchild wants to say grace, she must do the same. If a boychild wants to say grace, he does not have to wear a head covering, as he is a male. Usually, the father says grace unless he gives permission to another in the house to do it. Or, if the family wants to take turns saying it, and the head of household is fine with that, that can happen also.
Of course, when any of us are alone or eating with friends who do not share our beliefs, we can bow our heads and pray quietly: but, at home, this is how it is done. It is also different for single parent households, as the woman would obviously be head of her children and would not have to wear a head covering while praying.

Our graces are not ritualistic prayers. We just say what comes to heart. We thank God for our food, we pray for the brotherhood all over the world, we thank God we are able to be together and eat together as a family, and we pray for those who are less fortunate.

I hope this helps out.

I am married to my soul mate and best friend, and I am truly blessed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page