LDS Mamas and Papas~ Fall/Winter '08 (all are welcome!) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I just say something about tithing? Not necessarily related to the original post but, I’ll throw it out there.
Honesty, two months ago hubby and I were SO looking forward to Christmas this year, it would be our first year without school and hubby’s job pays well. BUT THEN, we had Caleb, we moved to MA, and we bought a house. Needless to say, um, the house is our Christmas present this year, I think hubby is going to get me a pair of jeans (because I REALLY need them, I wear skirts outside the house, sweats inside), I’m going to get him a shirt or something.
The best part is that we don’t really care.

In my PB it says something that I think is true for everyone, I’m going to paraphrase here but the message is the same, “As you keep the Law of Fasting and the Law of Tithes through your efforts and the efforts as a family, you will not want for the things of the world.”This is a passage that has always stuck out for me and has and probably will continue to pull me through a lot of things. I think the purpose of these laws is to help refine our hearts and keep them pure, live simply and enjoy more time with our family instead of chugging away to earn the extra dollar.
I’ve never received a surprising check in the mail the instant I sealed a tithe envelope, but I sure have been inspired in ways to stretch our budget. Which hubby has set the grocery limit at $120 a month. We've been doing it though. Check out my cooking blog, 4/5 of recipes aren’t even up yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM

My missionarys are coming over tomorrow again! :

I am not sure what this one is about but they rock so....:

Hey-I was wondering - Do you just read your scriptures daily, or do you have some kind of plan, or devotional, or study?

I am having a heck of a time reading the book of mormon, just straight through - I am usually a "picker" with the bible kind of flipping around alot.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
My missionarys are coming over tomorrow again! :

I am not sure what this one is about but they rock so....:

Hey-I was wondering - Do you just read your scriptures daily, or do you have some kind of plan, or devotional, or study?

I am having a heck of a time reading the book of mormon, just straight through - I am usually a "picker" with the bible kind of flipping around alot.
Well, we study together, as a family in the evening, we read the Book of Mormon straight through, year around.
My husband does his personal studies in the morning before he heads off to work, he is more of a reading with supplement kind of a guy. Meaning, he reads scripture and then studies seminary manuals or conference talks relating to what he is reading.
I’m more of a reflective and responsive gal.
I do my studying usually during Caleb’s morning nap or during his bath time. I switch things up all the time.
Up until last month I studied by topic (in the back of the Book of Mormon there is an INDEX, if you are interested in that method). I would read one scripture at a time and then write my thoughts down in a journal.
NOW, I’m studying the Gospels straight through, a chapter a day.

So. Yeah. Hm.
You can study a number of ways. Not really a devotional or set plan here.

We do typically have a spiritual thought/ devotional during Family Home Evening on Monday nights, though.

PS I'm excited that you are SO excited! :
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of scripture study I wanted to share this with you. Kens (who posts here from time to time) shared it with me and I thought y'all might like it. Best part- it's free!

A Mother's Education Course For Latter-Day Saints

We try and read as a family every night and DH and I try and read as a couple every morning and then we make personal scripture time through out the day. What we like to do is read different books. Currently we are reading the Old Testament as a family, the New Testament as a couple, and I am ready the Book of Mormon on my own.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 PM

As a family we have been floundering in the scripture study dept. I actually handed out a scripture Advent chain to our Primary in the hopes that we would read together more often as a family. DH has been much better than I have--it's hard b/c I have the kids alone 2 or 3 evenings a week. Just getting dinner on the table those nights is my huge, huge effort.

Personally, I'm floundering too, but trying to come back. I tend to be a "topical" reader much better than "straight through." I also like to read things historically, like I'll read all the scriptures having to do with Moses, and the Exodus. Or I'll do a study of women in the OT. Or I've even compared and contrasted different prophets and their spiritual experiences. I never took a religion course at BYU (or anything similar)--I did do Institute and graduated, but it's different, I think even though the classes transfer. I mean, I'd love to write a paper comparing two things or something like that for a religion class. (yes, I'm a nerd).
Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 PM

So this might be rambly but try to stay with me ya'll.

Our sitiation in life is absoultley horrendus right now. Mental illness on both dh's and my part (SEVERE) financial issues so bad that we dont know where our next meal is coming from, social servcies giving us crap about not vaccinating and denying my benefits that we desperatly NEED, and on and on and on and on...... Everythhing is horrible and terrible.

And yet I feel like I am standing on a mountain in the middle of all this junk with peace in my heart, looking around saying "That is not mine. I am blessed."

I told dh it was because of those Mormons. LOL.

But seriously obviously I've Got my God Back.

So I have to share the coolest thing I learned with my missionarys () yesterday. (They seriously only get through a half of a lesson because I am so busy asking them questions about why they ride bikes, etc. ) But I think they are glad that I am so excited about learning the gospel. And I do a great amount of asking them to clarify the lesson as well. I am trying to get off my "Why do missionarys ride bikes" stuff as I know there is alot of that to ask and it will come with time. (But its just so interesting!)

So here is what I learned.

2 Nephi 2:22-25 (You are going to have to look it up ) About Adam and Eve and the Apple thing. I was like : It was in the plan. There would have been no life as we know it if that transgression hadn't happened. And the definition they gave of transgression was just beautiful. (I wish I could remember it! ) Everything I am already convicted about ends up being in the Book of Mormon. Its insane. Like the heaven thing. I just have a personal belief that most people go to heaven. And general Christian churches just dont preach that. But one man the missionarys brought with them told me that not very many people go to hell its like (he held up his hand) 5 x 3 people. I was like "I already knew that. )

::::::

I still have reservations about "religion" but I know God will convict me when the time is right. Right now I am like "YES I believe everything you are teaching me!!!" But "NO! I do not want to join the LDS church! " I have a feeling thats where we are going though - I think God is being gentle on me and taking one day at a time.

I did not spell check this because I just dont want to!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 PM

PS-I wonder if I should tell them I am suffering from a terrible mental illness that prevents me from concentrating so they dont think I am a total flake. (Bipolar II)
Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
PS-I wonder if I should tell them I am suffering from a terrible mental illness that prevents me from concentrating so they dont think I am a total flake. (Bipolar II)
Yes. And ask for a blessing!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the gospel's interpretation of the fall. There is this great book called Eve and the Choice Made in Eden that talks about how Eve is not the villain and temptress that so many make her out to be (thus hurting women in general which the author suggests is all a part of satan's plan) but rather a righteous woman who made a tough decision to basically save us all. It's funny because when I feel away from the church I hated the image of Eve (granted I didn't know the story of the fall from the LDS POV as my family wasn't as active as they should be) and I loved the image of Lilith (in myth the first wife of Adam who refused to submit to him) and even named my first daughter after her. But now I realize that the stronger woman was really the humble Eve.

Wow I totally went all over the place with that!

ETA- and isn't the story of Adam and Eve in this context the most romantic love story like ever? Well, maybe next to Luthien and Beren. Kidding!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Jenny-Thanks for writing that post- I'm sure other members on here really appreciate you coming on and telling us about your progression. It makes me really reflect on why I joined the church and the blessings I’ve gain from being a member!
Sometimes your posts make me laugh because I'm totally BTDT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Maggie, this is seriously such a good suggestion.
Jenny, you should totally do this! I had my first blessing when I was a nonmember too, and the Elders gave it to me. Great experience!

AwWwWwW... Adam and Eve! :
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
2 Nephi 2:22-25 (You are going to have to look it up ) About Adam and Eve and the Apple thing. I was like : It was in the plan. There would have been no life as we know it if that transgression hadn't happened. And the definition they gave of transgression was just beautiful. (I wish I could remember it! )

That just so happens to be my favorite bit of scripture ever. I find it really comforting. I just love those verses!

Maggie, I'm doing well! I can't believe I'm 31 weeks already! This has just flown by! I decided to find out the sex during our ultrasound b/c I wanted to have time to have the circ. discussion with Dh if we were having a boy. Which, we are. And dh is totally on board with leaving him intact. So that's a huge relief. I always feel silly when I think I'm going to have to stand up to him about something, but then he's already on the same page as I am. I feel silly for doubting him!
I'm getting released from my calling as a Sunbeam teacher at the end of December. It's going to be so weird going to Sunday School/Relief Society. Since I've turned 18, I've either been in Primary callings or in the Mother's lounge with a fussy newborn. It will be nice to be able to hear the lessons at least for a few weeks before the babe is born.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the gospel's interpretation of the fall. There is this great book called Eve and the Choice Made in Eden that talks about how Eve is not the villain and temptress that so many make her out to be (thus hurting women in general which the author suggests is all a part of satan's plan) but rather a righteous woman who made a tough decision to basically save us all. It's funny because when I feel away from the church I hated the image of Eve (granted I didn't know the story of the fall from the LDS POV as my family wasn't as active as they should be) and I loved the image of Lilith (in myth the first wife of Adam who refused to submit to him) and even named my first daughter after her. But now I realize that the stronger woman was really the humble Eve.

Wow I totally went all over the place with that!

ETA- and isn't the story of Adam and Eve in this context the most romantic love story like ever? Well, maybe next to Luthien and Beren. Kidding!

I absolutely love this book! It was amazing reading what our Prophets and General Authorities have said concerning Eve.

I find it interesting how prevalent the idea of Eve being a temptress and bad woman is. Even being LDS. The Primary class I teach is a group of six 10-11 year old boys. One week when we were discussing the Fall one of the boys said something derogatory about Eve. I had just finished Eve and The Choice In Eden and I was able to share what I had read. They seemed really interested and asked a lot of questions.

I have made sure that my children know that Eve had a choice and she chose to partake of the apple knowing full well the ramifications. She could have chosen to remain in the Garden forever but instead she chose to have children and let all of us have our lives here on Earth. : I LOVE Eve!

I think I am going to read this again.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM

A sin is when you knowingly do something wrong.
A transgression is when you unknowingly do something wrong--in other words, when you innocently make a mistake.
Small children make transgressions because they are learning...as they get older, we teach them and then they understand more and are able to begin being accountable.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Something I never understood about calling what happened in the Garden a transgression- Both Adam and Eve knew it was against what God had asked of them so isn't it really a sin then?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 PM

They were innocent like little children and not accountable the same way we are while in the garden.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM

is there any help with discipline and children in the church? I am having a really rough time with my kids - especially my oldest who is nearly 6. For example, we were just at a friends house and it was time to go and I asked him to get his boots on several times and he just kept defying me and going up the stairs and playing. Then he would come down and go back up.

Also, I just asked him to throw away an envelope for me and he kept not doing it, I asked nicely several times and he kept doing other things like opening it, and playing, and ignoring me.

Third - this just happened while I was writing this post - dd 3 and ds are right in front of me and he drew all over her with a pen and then looked at me and said "dd just drew on herself with pen and then gave the pen back to me." : I told him to go in his room for the rest of the day and he threatened to hurt me, threw something at me, and now he is slamming his door over and over again.

I wonder if their is any guidance in any of the church doctrines that might insipre me because I am feeling like a really bad mom right now.

My dh says its my fault the kids act like they do.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 AM

Well, yes and no. First of all, your children sound normal. Really. Second of all, what you described up-thread indicates that life is really strange/difficult/complicated for you.

There _are_ scriptures about parenting, there are articles in the regular magazine (the Ensign) published occasionally such as this:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...____&hideNav=1

I said yes AND no because I have found that it can seem like I want really specific ideas and I can only find general guidelines in articles/talks/etc. or in the scriptures. HOWEVER.

There is one other thing we believe in--personal and continuing revelation. We believe that there are times that any righteous person who is making good choices can be touched by and feel the power and influence of the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost. We also believe that once a person is baptized by water and confirmed a member and blessed to receive the Holy Ghost, they are also "baptized by fire" and the Holy Ghost, and thereafter as long as they are trying to do their best, they can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.

As a parent, you are "authorized" to receive revelation regarding your own children. Praying about something specific (I need ideas to be able to handle XXXX calmly) or (what is he really saying when he <draws all over his sister and lies>) are questions you can talk to God about at any time. You can also pray for extended, extra and more patience and love to handle your kids when they are trying. You can also pray for more ways to be able to cope. The answer is often something unexpected (I'm always told I should go to bed earlier when I pray, for example), or seemingly unrelated like I have felt I should read the scriptures with my son to improve my relationship with him. I have often been guided to scriptures about diet or health (eating more healthfully improves my mood/coping/outlook/motivation/patience). It's just not always going to be exactly what to say to your child. It seems like it's something else!

This is getting long and I need to load the DW before I get to bed (late as usual), but I hope this answers your questions. HIT. Parenting is hard any time, and your family is having a wild ride right now. You can ask about parenting in a blessing, too, BTW.

Quote:
is there any help with discipline and children in the church? I am having a really rough time with my kids - especially my oldest who is nearly 6. For example, we were just at a friends house and it was time to go and I asked him to get his boots on several times and he just kept defying me and going up the stairs and playing. Then he would come down and go back up.

Also, I just asked him to throw away an envelope for me and he kept not doing it, I asked nicely several times and he kept doing other things like opening it, and playing, and ignoring me.

Third - this just happened while I was writing this post - dd 3 and ds are right in front of me and he drew all over her with a pen and then looked at me and said "dd just drew on herself with pen and then gave the pen back to me." : I told him to go in his room for the rest of the day and he threatened to hurt me, threw something at me, and now he is slamming his door over and over again.

I wonder if their is any guidance in any of the church doctrines that might insipre me because I am feeling like a really bad mom right now.

My dh says its my fault the kids act like they do.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Is that blessing you were talking about from the Missionary the same thing as a Patriarchal Blessing? (That I learned about yesterday in class )

Or just ask them for a blessing?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Is that blessing you were talking about from the Missionary the same thing as a Patriarchal Blessing? (That I learned about yesterday in class )

A patriarchal blessing is a special one-time thing, given by a patriarch (someone who is specially called to give these blessings). You make an appointment for it, and the patriarch spends time specifically preparing to give your blessing. Since it's his whole calling, he works to be especially open to being a conduit for what God wants to tell you in the blessing. While any priesthood blessing can give direction or comfort for the current situation, a patriarchal blessing gives direction and information for a lifetime. The patriarch records the blessing as he gives it, and a typed copy is given to you as well as one being sent to the church archives (nobody else reads it, but it is saved there so that if you ever lose yours you can get another copy of it). It is, more or less, personal scripture for you. I made a laminated shrunk-down copy of mine which I keep in my scripture case.

You can ask the missionaries (or home teacher, or other priesthood holder) for a blessing anytime. Blessings can give comfort, healing, or direction, depending on your need at the time... so while a patriarchal blessing IS given through the priesthood, it's not the same as a "priesthood blessing" that you would get on the spur of the moment.

hope that helps!

(I responded to your discipline questions on your other thread--actually I hadn't looked at who the poster was on the other thread, I just responded...but I did respond to you there at some length, so I'm not going to type it all up again... )

Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Our sitiation in life is absoultley horrendus right now. Mental illness on both dh's and my part (SEVERE) financial issues so bad that we dont know where our next meal is coming from, social servcies giving us crap about not vaccinating and denying my benefits that we desperatly NEED, and on and on and on and on...... Everythhing is horrible and terrible.

And yet I feel like I am standing on a mountain in the middle of all this junk with peace in my heart, looking around saying "That is not mine. I am blessed."
Wow. I'm so glad I came back here and checked this thread! Thanks so much for sharing your feelings of peace and the spirit, that is so neat.
I hope and pray that things will get better in your life and that you'll be able to keep that peace in your heart.
I hope you know that the church will never let any of it's members go hungry-if you are really struggling you can go to your bishop, you know. That is what we pay our tithing and fast offerings for, to help others. You can get a lot of great food from the bishop's storehouse if you are ever in a bad situation.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Just like Brighton said. And while, anyone can get a priesthood blessing, you have t be a member to obtain a patriarchal blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
I hope you know that the church will never let any of it's members go hungry-if you are really struggling you can go to your bishop, you know. That is what we pay our tithing and fast offerings for, to help others. You can get a lot of great food from the bishop's storehouse if you are ever in a bad situation.
:
I had a roommate who had bishop storehouse food. Sadly she didn't know how to cook, so I helped her prepae and eat the meals! Needless to say, ""
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Mind if I poke in here? Excuse any typos, Im holding my sleeping 1 month old in one arm and typing with the other hand.
Hi, Im Heather. My husband (John) and I were sealed 3 years ago in the San Diego temple. Im a convert to the church, I joined 11 years ago (wow, its been that long already??) and my husband was born into the church. We have twp beautiful girls, Elyse who is almost 2 and Lexi whos a month old. My husband is a Marine and we live in Okinawa, Japan and have for a year and a half. We have another 2-3 years left over here before we get orders somewhere else. My husband is the Young Men's President and I don't have a calling yet. Im feeling one coming through, they just asked me to take a Teaching class. Last time I was asked to take this class my DH and I ended up being called as Nursery leaders. As long as its not teaching adults, Im not a fan of getting up in front of people.
I just read through the thread, which was really interesting. Mind if I make a couple of comments about a few things?
For FHE with a toddler, we had given to us part of the Gospel Art Library and we show DD the picture and tell her whats happening in it. I always wonder if she learns anything and about a month ago she pointed to a picture of Jesus we have in our living room and said "Jesus, bro" (bro is her word for brother) clear as day. You might wonder if the baby is learning anything, they are!Remember to try to keep the lessons short, when I was in nursery we planned for 1 minute per year of age.
As for being intimidated by the church, I totally understand where you are coming from but remember a lot of things are not required for salvation but they might make you happier if you abide by them. For example the 2nd counseler on my branch has a tatoo, we dont shun hum for itbut its hard on him hes trying to tell his kids not to get one. When I was coming back to church (I was inactive for several years) it helped me to seperate into whats required, Whats suggested and whats just nice to incorporate. It helped me become active and not be so intimidated.
As for lifestyle differences you might be suprised what you find when you start to talk to people. At least in my branch I dont feel (too) judged for my parenting decisions. Although it could be because my Branch presidents wife is a little chrunchy as well (shes homebirthed, breastfeed until her kids were older toddlers, cloth diapered, home schools, cooks from scratch, doesn't vac etc). If someone gives me a hard time she stands up to them for me- if I tried Id probably have a panic attack. Im not good at confrontations(funny thing for me to say since I was a Marine at one time). Most of the women I have known through the church has breastfeed at least, a few of them actually practice a lot of AP and most are anti-spanking even if I don't agree with what they use instead.
As for scripture reading I have to say Im REALLY bad about it. I try but I have only gotten through the BoM once in the last 11 years. I usually get through 2nd Nephi and 1st Nephi. Sometimes Ill jump ahead and read 3rd Nephi and then Moroni. Ive only gotten through Genesis in the old testiment (althrough I think I could tell you word for word the entire book) and Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the New Testiment. Im just got good at keeping a schedule.
I agree with the suggestion for a priesthood blessing. I have a really strong testimony of the power of the priesthood, it has really blessed my life. Im very grateful for my husband who takes his priesthood responsibilities seriously and for the other men in the branch whos willing to drop what they are doing to help out in a time of need. My younger daugther was in the NICU after she was born and it was such a comfort to be able to have worthy priesthood holders there to give her a blessing. It was a great comfort and right after the blessing she started gettng better and was able to come home a day later.
More than the simple hello I was planning but thats ok. Its getting close to 11pm I should get to bed.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 12-10-2008, 04:20 PM

hi heather! and welcome!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Its on my private myspace so I am posting it for you guys.
Quote:
I am enjoying my dive into Mormonism. (LOL) I was completley inspired to investigate this religion, so many times during my life. They have been added to my life in various spots where i needed to be loved and accepted and no Saint I have ever known has ever failed that task. There are several Biblical scriptures that come to mind when I think of my Mormon friends. Ye are the Salt of the Earth (Mat 5:13), Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. (Or "You will know my followers by their fruit) John 15:8, and I can't find it but I know it is there "Be ye in the world but not of the world."

I am totally not into religion, and I always wondered what the heck people were doing at church if they hadn't had a major spiritual event/awakening like I did 4 years ago. I could never just sit in a church without conviction in my heart, and try to be good enough for God. It would have been so mundane and useless to me. I don't do anything out of duty (and maybe I should start praying about that! LOL) I act out of inspiration, always. So when I was inspired to finally accept the call to investigate the Latter Day Saints, How surprised were my Missionarys to get a call from me to come over? (Actually, it was the 1-800-Mormon's that relayed the message. ) I picture them riding their bikes around knocking on doors, spreading the word about the restored church, and suddenly the phone rings. Like Ghostbusters. ;-) Someone is inviting them over, randomly. It was me. But I was so depressed and my house so messy, I couldn't even open my door for them. I met them in the hallway of my apartment building while my kids ran up and down the stairs (and baby crawled up and down the stairs) screaming while I tried to talk to them. I so enjoy meeting with them and I hope I don't drive them nuts with my questions, like "Why do missionarys ride bikes?" and "Do you guys carry protection?" hehe. More and more I am trying not to ask those questions as I know they aren't as pertinant to the gospel as learning what I recently learned about the garden of Eden and Adams transgression. I am continually blown away at how what they are teaching me, I already know and believe. It is astonishing and beautiful. I am still totally disturbed by the church structure and not so sure about it, but their message is already written on my heart. I know one day if I am meant to join this church, I will be convicted.

Recently however, I was discussing on a public message board (guess which one ) about 1. Being bi-polar, on one thread, and 2. conversing with some Saints on another thread and I received a private message that shook me a little bit. It was a warning that the LDS church targets people with mental illness and to investigate before I proceeded. So I did. And found some freakishly weird information. I am choosing now, however, to go with the source of my inspiration because God said "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2tim 1:7 So I have to trust the feeling of love and peace I get when I am reading my Bible or my Book of Mormon.

I remember the first meeting at church I attended, and my LDS companion introduced me as an "investigator." After one day at church, I no longer felt like I was investigating, but like I was home. I am not ready to join the church yet. But I am fairly certain it is my home.

I wanted to add to that guys - the other day I went to my first testimony meeting and I wanted to jump up there and say "HERE I AM!!! THIS CHURCH IS TRUE!" But I could see there was some kind of procedure to it and I didnt want to be disrespectful. It was a funny thing. I should stop ignoring that prompting though, I so easily say "No" to the holy ghost. :

Anyways, I hope you all are having a good day. I am loopy and tired today because I just started pharma med;s for bipolar for the first time ever. (Thank you so much God for giving me the resources and the courage. )
Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I am totally not into religion, and I always wondered what the heck people were doing at church if they hadn't had a major spiritual event/awakening like I did 4 years ago. I could never just sit in a church without conviction in my heart, and try to be good enough for God. It would have been so mundane and useless to me. I don't do anything out of duty (and maybe I should start praying about that! LOL) I act out of inspiration, always.
What a sweet post. I like what you said here, I've often thought how it's the conviction in my heart that keeps me going week after week to church and also serving in my callings. How could one keep at it if they didn't?

I'm SO sorry someone PM'd you that. That is ridiculous to me. I mean, really? geesh.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 PM

Thats what I like about the LDS church though, you arent fear driven like other faiths are.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Ah, I see what you mean now. I'd never really thought about that.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Hi, New here
i am looking for the perfect forum to me. It is becoming all to clear, that i am not your typical crunchy mama, and the other forum i am on, i certainly am in the minority, and my beliefs are often questioned.
Soo i googled crunchy conservative, and i found this thread. LOL

Anyway,
I am Melissa, I have been a member of the church for 9 years. Dh is Phil, we have been married almost 11 years, and he was born into the church, though inactive when we met. I convinced him to take me to his church. We were sealed November 1, 2002 in the Mesa temple. We have 3 girls, ages 7, 6 and 4, and baby due in may. our oldest will be baptised the first weekend in february, since her birthday is a few days after the january baptisms. She is so excited.
I am so not molly mormon, and i struggle everyday to be OK with that. I do homeschool my children, and i am the only one in my ward that does. I homebirth my children, and have been told by several of the sisters that it is too dangerous, and i do not vaccinate my children, and i have had debates with a couple doctors in our ward about this. I am not the typical mormon I guess. But i love the church, its values and i never regret choosing to raise my children in the church.
I am currently holding 2 callings. Humanitairan Leader and RS food specialist. lets just say i am glad the RS Christmas Enrichment is over! LOL DH is young mens president and he loves his calling, though recently i feel like a young mens widow. LOL he is always gone.
Anyway, I hope to meet some like minded LDS sisters, so i dont feel as alone as i do. maybe this will be my new home on the net...

So.... hello to all

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
Old 12-11-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Its on my private myspace so I am posting it for you guys.

I wanted to add to that guys - the other day I went to my first testimony meeting and I wanted to jump up there and say "HERE I AM!!! THIS CHURCH IS TRUE!" But I could see there was some kind of procedure to it and I didnt want to be disrespectful. It was a funny thing. I should stop ignoring that prompting though, I so easily say "No" to the holy ghost. :

Anyways, I hope you all are having a good day. I am loopy and tired today because I just started pharma med;s for bipolar for the first time ever. (Thank you so much God for giving me the resources and the courage. )

Hi, nice to meet you!
I am glad you have found a place to call home. I grew up in an anti LDS family, and was taught of all the evils while growing up. When i actaully went and studied on my own, i too knew it was true. It was HOME! Even when i dotn get along with everyone at church, i still feel at home, and i am remeinded that the church is perfect, the ppl in it are not.
I am sorry that people were Pming you to tell you bad things about the church. I can promise i have never done that, when ppl were investigating other churchs. I believe we all need to worship where we feel comfortable.
Honestly, i think some ppl are afraid of us, and maybe even a bit jealous.

anyway, wanted to say hello and say i think it i wonderful youa re taking the time to search, ponder and pray, to find where you belong!

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lurk but never post, but today I have a verse I have to share, its very very very important to me that you all read it!

Moroni 8:8

"Listen to the words of Christ, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Behold, I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance; the whole need no physician, but they that are sick; wherefore, little children are whole, for they are not capable of committing sin; wherefore the curse of Adam is taken from them in me, that it hath no power over them; and the law of circumcision is done away in me."

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 PM

Did you just find out you are having a boy or something?
I love the fact that that verse is in the Book of Mormon, don't you?

User Tag List