"Cover"-ed Girls! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1083 Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone.. just wanted to pop in!! I have been covering on and off for awhile bt just recently have made more of a commitment to it. Mostly wide headbands for now, but it is making me very happy!!! I also would like to stop wearing pants, at least when out of the house, but am not sure how to make that transition or where to find skirts... or how to where them since I am all uncoordinated and chasing around a 9 month old who has decided to learn to walk!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#362 of 1083 Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM

So I am going out today with my hair fully covered for the first time today. Until now I have been doing something like this http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...5_2036_1994821 Now I am looking more like this http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26sa%3DN only in solid black.
I live in a very small community of conformists so I hope I will not get to much flack. No one here besides the Mennonites cover at all.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#363 of 1083 Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425;1308.7301
Hey everyone.. just wanted to pop in!! I have been covering on and off for awhile bt just recently have made more of a commitment to it. Mostly wide headbands for now, but it is making me very happy!!! I also would like to stop wearing pants, at least when out of the house, but am not sure how to make that transition or where to find skirts... or how to where them since I am all uncoordinated and chasing around a 9 month old who has decided to learn to walk!!!
Hey fellow DDCer - I can't believe they're learning to walk! It's amazing isn't it? I've found that skirts are soo much easier for chasing munchkins. I was constantly pulling up my pants with all the squatting and bending and I'd end up with erm.. plumber butt Now I almost only wear skirts. I have some that fit properly up over my hips and I no longer have to fiddle with them. I wear yoga pants under them and it's great - the flexibility of yoga pants without being half naked.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#364 of 1083 Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Hey fellow DDCer - I can't believe they're learning to walk! It's amazing isn't it? I've found that skirts are soo much easier for chasing munchkins. I was constantly pulling up my pants with all the squatting and bending and I'd end up with erm.. plumber butt Now I almost only wear skirts. I have some that fit properly up over my hips and I no longer have to fiddle with them. I wear yoga pants under them and it's great - the flexibility of yoga pants without being half naked.
Where do you buy your skirts? I have some of those calf length legging things I could try too.... Hmmm....

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#365 of 1083 Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the congrats, ladies

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#366 of 1083 Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Tznius style wrap skirt. Easy as a wink.

Made my niece a skirt today, and as promised, I took lots of pictures.
Here is the link!
http://steveandpaularunyan.blogspot....blog-post.html

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#367 of 1083 Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
Where do you buy your skirts? I have some of those calf length legging things I could try too.... Hmmm....
The ones I'm wearing most are style J. They don't seem to have my favorite in stock right now or I was going to link to it. It used to just be call "vintage" but they have some similar ones. They have a Valentines day 20% off coupon right now so I think I'm going to get the Casual Friday style sometime soon.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#368 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats, BA!

Joining the short club here, too. I'm 4'11", though my driver's license says 5' :.

I've been covering, but I need to really develop my style. My requirements are:

1. No-fuss.
2. Looks casual.
3. Doesn't look too Christian.*
4. Comes in different colors.
5. Won't upset all my Reform colleagues.

I realize that #5 will be the hardest. I'm thinking the tichel is a good fit for me, but I'm not sure how I feel about wearing one around the synagogue. I think I'll get too much flak to really enjoy wearing it - whereas if I wore a hat or a bandanna or a snood, I'm less likely to get comments because those aren't "traditionally Orthodox" coverings.

Make any sense?

*I live in a predominantly Christian area, with lots of Christian coverers, and I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a doily or something that looks like an Old-Order or Mennonite covering.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#369 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
make any sense?
yes!
#370 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So a tichel looks too "orthodox" but a snood is fine? Weird. I associate both tichels and snoods with Orthodoxy.

Would something like this work for you?

Grrr. I wanted to share with you an ebay seller that I'm very happy with, but I can't seem to locate my list of "favorite sellers". What's the point of eBay having that feature if I can't access it? Ah, finally found it, but not easily. Anyway, here's a hat from my favorite hat seller. I have 3 hats in the style that I linked, but not that EXACT color. She's got other hat styles as well.

I'm pretty sure the seller is an Orthodox Jew. When I ordered stuff from her around Rosh Hashonna time, (hoping to get them in time for Yom Tov), it took over a week for them to arrive. But when I ordered a couple more hats later in the year, they arrived in 2 days (from one part of NY to another.) I'm guessing that the first time I'd ordered, she didn't process the order until after Yom Tov even though I'd placed the order a day or so before.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#371 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I love the rasta hat, Ruth!

I can't have anything too poofy, because I have a really round face and it looks ridiculous.

Slouchy things like the rasta hat and snoods work well, though - and I've always worn snoods, so maybe that's why I don't get comments. Well, I get comments, but not at all like when I once wrapped my scarf as a tichel to keep my hair out of my face at a service day we were doing. :

I'm sick of the flak, you know? If I wear a kippah, nobody says a word. But ZOMG, she's tied a scarf around her head! She must be trying to be Orthodox!

Ridiculous.

Thanks for the tips.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#372 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I love the rasta hat, Ruth!

I can't have anything too poofy, because I have a really round face and it looks ridiculous.

Slouchy things like the rasta hat and snoods work well, though - and I've always worn snoods, so maybe that's why I don't get comments. Well, I get comments, but not at all like when I once wrapped my scarf as a tichel to keep my hair out of my face at a service day we were doing. :

I'm sick of the flak, you know? If I wear a kippah, nobody says a word. But ZOMG, she's tied a scarf around her head! She must be trying to be Orthodox!

Ridiculous.

Thanks for the tips.

Try this site. www.garlandsofgrace.com

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#373 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I think I'll get too much flak to really enjoy wearing it
If it's what you're comfortable with though, people adjust. There's always a contingent waiting to give flak over anything new -- usually they get over it.
#374 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 PM

i've been thinking so much on this covering idea that i was thinking of you all when on an outing to the Crayola Factory Saturday. everywhere i looked i was noticing women with head coverings, including Muslimahs in varied range of covered dress.

it was making me feel warm and glowy, despite that i am not covered myself. it was more a feeling of "i would not be alone." i also had thoughts like "nope, i definitely could not do that hanky-with-barrettes style" and others like coveting the tunic-length sweater a woman had on over jeans.

really, i want more modest dress so that i don't have to be so worried about clothes! but in this stage, it is searching for what will work for me.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#375 of 1083 Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 PM

I remember getting flack... well hellooo... who sees a headcovering mennonite in the big city.. but it didn't take long for ppl to stop staring.. now i live in mennonite country and i don't even get a 2nd look...

It hurts to stand out.. but what got me through was prayer and knowing in my heart the reasons i started to cover...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#376 of 1083 Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't been online much lately, but this thread has kept me at the library all afternoon!

Chiming in as another covering Pagan. I wear a cover at work (at Wal-Mart), and it's funny when I get questioned by confused people. "So, are you Muslim?" is a common question, even though I usually wear a triangle scarf or long rectangular one in a wrap style that doesn't cover my neck/ears. Followed by "Jew? Christian?" I usually play mysterious and just leave it at "none of the above." If I'm not slowing down the line for those behind me, I'll explain that I practice a polytheistic religion. No one I've ever had this conversation with has ever heard of "Asatru," nor have I met any other Heathens who cover.

I am getting tired of the same old scarves I've been wearing the last year, and the weather is heating up again soon. I wish I dared wear a covering like most of the (mostly Sudanese, I think) Muslim girls at work, a khimar, often over a short-sleeved shirt, and a long skirt. I pretty much already wear skirts (I only own one pair of pants, and as bib overalls they're not allowed by the dress code at work). I'm not so sure how such a covering would be recieved, though. The khimar is a pretty distinctly Muslim style. It's also distinctly appropriate for the weather in the desert.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#377 of 1083 Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Haven't been online much lately, but this thread has kept me at the library all afternoon!

Chiming in as another covering Pagan. I wear a cover at work (at Wal-Mart), and it's funny when I get questioned by confused people. "So, are you Muslim?" is a common question, even though I usually wear a triangle scarf or long rectangular one in a wrap style that doesn't cover my neck/ears. Followed by "Jew? Christian?" I usually play mysterious and just leave it at "none of the above." If I'm not slowing down the line for those behind me, I'll explain that I practice a polytheistic religion. No one I've ever had this conversation with has ever heard of "Asatru," nor have I met any other Heathens who cover.

I am getting tired of the same old scarves I've been wearing the last year, and the weather is heating up again soon. I wish I dared wear a covering like most of the (mostly Sudanese, I think) Muslim girls at work, a khimar, often over a short-sleeved shirt, and a long skirt. I pretty much already wear skirts (I only own one pair of pants, and as bib overalls they're not allowed by the dress code at work). I'm not so sure how such a covering would be recieved, though. The khimar is a pretty distinctly Muslim style. It's also distinctly appropriate for the weather in the desert.
How much of your head are you looking to cover? Are snoods something you are interested in? Wide headbands?
You might like Offbeat Modest Dress, the author comes up with some wicked awesome outfits and includes headcoverings.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#378 of 1083 Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
How much of your head are you looking to cover? Are snoods something you are interested in? Wide headbands?
You might like Offbeat Modest Dress, the author comes up with some wicked awesome outfits and includes headcoverings.
Wow i love those outfits.

#379 of 1083 Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Congrats, BA!

1. No-fuss.
2. Looks casual.
3. Doesn't look too Christian.*
4. Comes in different colors.
5. Won't upset all my Reform colleagues.

I realize that #5 will be the hardest. I'm thinking the tichel is a good fit for me, but I'm not sure how I feel about wearing one around the synagogue. I think I'll get too much flak to really enjoy wearing it - whereas if I wore a hat or a bandanna or a snood, I'm less likely to get comments because those aren't "traditionally Orthodox" coverings.

Make any sense?

*I live in a predominantly Christian area, with lots of Christian coverers, and I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a doily or something that looks like an Old-Order or Mennonite covering.
haha you crack me up! I do know what you mean! in Baltimore, I was always confused as Jewish, now in *this* area I'm always seen as Christian. (weird, but christian).

a mennonite that works with my husband found out I was friends with someheadcovering jewish people... she was shocked b/c she had no idea there was such a thing! hahaha!! she said "that's weird".

(I'm finding people aren't that "smart" around here as a rule lol)

for what it's worth I rarely where a "christian" covering. I just wear whatever fits my head nicely. I have one short charity black veil but nobody wears that around here really anyhow. I am not mennonite (though I would say I am Anabaptist) so I really don't want to look mennonite.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#380 of 1083 Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMama View Post
Today is the first day I'm spending covered... DH doesn't want me to, so I'm only doing it while he's not home, for now, and (ironically) just doing it at home where no one can see. How rebellious of me. Hey, I could be doing worse things than practicing modesty, right?

Anyway, I like it. Baby steps, right?
So why dose he object to you covering? My DH and I are of very different religious backgrounds and he said nothing when i started covering fully. I started with a wide head band for a few months on and off then one every day for like 2 months then I found a scarf I loved and I started fully covering every day. I thought he might say something but he has not( he has said I look very pretty but never mentioned the cover) I live somewhere where no one covers( and very close minded about anything out of the ordinary) and I have really not gotten any BAD reactions. Do what feels right to you, the fall out will not be as bad as you are expecting.

#381 of 1083 Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 PM

So I got 2 new coverings today, They is Bright Green and a Dark Brown one there are the really long scarfs from The Evil Empire(Walmart) that they are clearing out for 5 bucks. I have been covering with a black one for a week now and love it. So now I am branching out to a new colors. it is nice i can pin it to my hair and leave it up all day without touching it all day. And I am feeling so much more comfortable, and very safe and powerful. I will try to get DH to take a picture soon.

#382 of 1083 Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've gotten out of covering so much (mostly been using hats with my hair down), but more into the wearing of modest clothing. i'm going to try to pair it up. See if I can get both.

#383 of 1083 Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I've gotten out of covering so much (mostly been using hats with my hair down), but more into the wearing of modest clothing. i'm going to try to pair it up. See if I can get both.
yay!

#384 of 1083 Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"I'm sick of the flak, you know? If I wear a kippah, nobody says a word. But ZOMG, she's tied a scarf around her head! She must be trying to be Orthodox!"

I have good luck with my brown "velvet" stretchy turbany thing, in that nobody at my Reform temple says "ZOMG!" when they see me in it. But really, the community is so far away from the headcovering days that I don't think it occurs to anybody to think that it's any thing but a fashion accessory. People hardly wear kippahs, and I think I've seen about a hald dozen tallits in the year I've lived here and they were all on the rabbi or a B'nai Mitvah kid.

My dh loathes my headcovering - calls it a "cancer hat." To be fair, my mother did wear it when she had cancer, but I have always liked headcoverings so why let a nice one go to waste? I find that the style flatters my round face. It looks like this: http://www.headcovers.com/572/three-seam-turbans/
#385 of 1083 Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Smithie, wow. A true Classical Reform congregation.

Ours is really a Conservative synagogue masquerading as a Reform one. We have families who wear kippot wherever they go, and many of our men even lein tefillin and wear tzitzis under their clothes (for those of you who aren't familiar with Reform, this is a VERY unusual practice for Reform Jews).

At services, we're about half-and-half tallis/no tallis, split evenly between women and men, and just about everyone (85%, I'd say) wears some type of headcovering during services.

Coming from that, it's always noticeable who's wearing the only non-kippah headcovering. I think people are used to seeing me in a snood (I'm kinda hippie-ish anyways, so I can get away with it ).

It's funny, DH used to hate my covering, because he thought it was "restrictive and ridiculous," but now he's developed favorites, and says it's flattering. Not what I was really going for, but it's interesting to see the change of heart.

#386 of 1083 Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Hi everyone-- I'm a covered girl too Partially, anyways. I only wear past-elbow shirts and I really don't wear pants anymore, and all my skirts are below the knee (I prefer ankle-length so I don't have to worry when I sit). I cover my hair in professional settings, but not around people I've known for a long time... I'm just converting to Judaism and I don't feel ready to answer questions yet with longtime friends and family members...

I'm online shopping for sleevies and headcoverings on sale right now, actually. haha. Anyone else ever use tznius.com? I'm starting to gravitate away-- I love the styles, but the selection is spotty and some of the quality isn't great.

#387 of 1083 Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Where do you find a nice affordable modest clothes ? I have found some stuff from Chadwicks that I like and their clearance has great deals. i was looking for dresses and skirts. I want modern but modest.
Philia
#388 of 1083 Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 PM

I got my order yesterday from Garlands of Grace and they are all beautiful.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#389 of 1083 Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post
Where do you find a nice affordable modest clothes ? I have found some stuff from Chadwicks that I like and their clearance has great deals. i was looking for dresses and skirts. I want modern but modest.
Philia
I find a lot of good things at Ann Taylor Loft.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#390 of 1083 Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post
Philia
Target. They have some really nice 3/4 length shirts for $10. Double layered, too, so there's no bra showage.
Scoop-Neck
V-neck
Skirts, OTOH, I am having such an issue with! I don't really look good in pencil skirts, and that's all that seems to be in fashion right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page