"Cover"-ed Girls! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1083 Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmZaynab View Post
Gosh, I love this thread. Great ideas here.

"Hijab" is properly pronounced "hih-JAAB". Rhymes with "flab".
Unless you're in Egypt, where it's "hih-gaab." Like "hih-talk-a-lot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
I would love to see updated pics of all of you, covered mamas!
The picture in my siggie's from about a month ago ... that would be this scarf.
#422 of 1083 Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I think she means more like these, or like these, or like these (err, scrolling past the funky two-tone ones), or like these. They give a scarf some traction.
yes, this

wide cotton headbands may do the trick as well.

also, "hih-talk-a-lot"

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#423 of 1083 Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 AM

The snood and pins idea sounds good. Honestly, the underscarf covering the front of my hair, at this point in time, doesn't really work for me, for a couple reasons. The first is it is "too covered". I'm having a hard time getting away with what I do already, and I don't really feel comfortable having my hairline covered and all my hair covered lol.

It feels like too much, and (please don't be offended, there is no offense meant to anyone) I just feel there are certain hair coverings that look more jewish, some that look more christian, and some that look more muslim, and I prefer ones that to me, look more jewish. I do like many of the simple kerchief ones which are in my mind, both "jewish" and "christian", but this sort of ties in particular seem "jewish" to me, (even if they weren't on a jewish site, I still feel these look jewish) (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl), and since part of my covering is as a jewish thing, I feel more comfortable in things that to me feel "jewish". Just as I would probably not wear a hijab, so I would not wear a structured cap, which to me, is more christian. Silly perhaps, but regardless.

Patienceandlove, I decided to write a blog post complete with pics and instructions on some of the ways I cover. my blog is craftyjourney.blogger.com if you check in a few hours or a day or two, I'll have it up.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#424 of 1083 Old 03-26-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
(even if they weren't on a jewish site, I still feel these look jewish) (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl), and since part of my covering is as a jewish thing, I feel more comfortable in things that to me feel "jewish".
Oh ... the thing is, underscarves work well with those ties. Especially narrower stretchy lace ones. Because they tend to be sold on Muslim sites they're generally pulled forward past the hairline in the display pictures, but most styles can be worn at or back past the hairline to the same effect. Which a lot of even Muslims do when we don't want them to show at the front edge of our own scarves.

I certainly wasn't trying to say that everyone should try to cover their hair in the manner of Muslims.
#425 of 1083 Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The snood and pins idea sounds good. Honestly, the underscarf covering the front of my hair, at this point in time, doesn't really work for me, for a couple reasons. The first is it is "too covered". I'm having a hard time getting away with what I do already, and I don't really feel comfortable having my hairline covered and all my hair covered lol.

It feels like too much, and (please don't be offended, there is no offense meant to anyone) I just feel there are certain hair coverings that look more jewish, some that look more christian, and some that look more muslim, and I prefer ones that to me, look more jewish. I do like many of the simple kerchief ones which are in my mind, both "jewish" and "christian", but this sort of ties in particular seem "jewish" to me, (even if they weren't on a jewish site, I still feel these look jewish) (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl), and since part of my covering is as a jewish thing, I feel more comfortable in things that to me feel "jewish". Just as I would probably not wear a hijab, so I would not wear a structured cap, which to me, is more christian. Silly perhaps, but regardless.

Patienceandlove, I decided to write a blog post complete with pics and instructions on some of the ways I cover. my blog is craftyjourney.blogger.com if you check in a few hours or a day or two, I'll have it up.
Understandable.
As a Catholic Christian, I find that some coverings are considered more "fundamentalist" than others. Personally, I just go with what I like, and just smile when people ask me if I am of a certain religious tradition. I usually just say "no, but they are still my sisters"

I am trying to find something for work, though. We don't wear hats (even though my old store did, the store I transferred to doesn't. grumble) and I feel extra naked at work without a hat. And I haven't been covering there, so I feel like if I just show up with my hair in the bun style wrap, ppl will look at me funny
I was thinking a snood, but more of the crocheted style than the cloth style. I might just go buy the crocheted beret they have at Hot Topic until I make my decision.

I dunno... just weirds me out to not have on a hat! Grrr, I wish I could find my work hat, cause then I would wear it. Any other ideas?

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#426 of 1083 Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Here's an interesting one.
DH understands covering my head because I feel "protected" and "safe".
But he doesn't get covering my head for Biblical reasons, or at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. He says my mantillas (that he bought me) weird him out.

*shakes head* men

#427 of 1083 Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The picture in my siggie's from about a month ago ... that would be this scarf.
you're GORGEOUS!

#428 of 1083 Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 AM

hmmm I suppose if it were pushed further back, and underscarf could solve some of my problems if it really does help it stay. I can't figure out why it would, but i suppose it might.

To me, the crotched snoods are so renaissance faire-ish lol. Its the only time irl that I've seen them, and so wearing them outside of garb seems strange to me. (Not that I wouldn't totally consider wearing part of my garb in every day life if I were a touch more gutsy.... I'm not yet though. maybe in the future.

I so know what you mean about it feeling weird not having a covering on.. It feels so weird. I convinced my mom to let me wear a wide fabric headband in the same fabric as my dress for her wedding. yay!! ( just used the it will look cute arguement lol). Maybe a lace kerchief for the reception dinner?

I got so many questions about how I did my hair covering today. (I have it wapped in the dutch coronet style, as here or #5 here. )I think some people are starting to suspect that I cover my hair for a reason, but that's ok, whatever.lol

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#429 of 1083 Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I would love to see updated pics of all of you, covered mamas!

I am esp. interested to see how y'all are tying your scarves, and I would to see how some of you wear your hijabs!

BTW- how does one pronounce hijab? I have heard he-job, is that right?

I like to read this thread. I think I've mentioned here - I wear scarves for medical reasons - I have alopecia. But since learning more from this thread and religious books, I now am approaching my own headcovering of my wee bare head as a source of pride and graceful modesty, if that makes sense.

Many people have told me they thought I just wrapped my hair. These people had no idea I had alopecia areata.

I have been wearing the mentioned hijab underscarves or "sleeves as some sites call them. And over top the underscarf, I place a rectangular scarf which I wrap in a tichel bun or sometimes a turban or just let the strands hang down the back. I've bought shaylas as well - the scarf is generally the same size. I find it kind of funny that I wear scarves from Jerusalem - an Orthodox Jewish woman and hijab sleeves bought from Muslim women and I am neither.

The sleeves work great with the scarves and prevent slippage and also just look pretty together.

The scarves and sleeves been a good conversation starter about world religions. Sometimes people will enquire about my ancestry or scarves or reason for wearing them and I explain about the different religions and why they wear them (as best as I can).

I'll go back to lurking. Just thought I'd chime in.
#430 of 1083 Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 AM

Magelet, that style is very pretty, it reminds me of Heidi with her braids.
#431 of 1083 Old 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM

I went shopping at Goodwill and found a skirt and a couple of pairs of pants I can wear for work. I'm having to commute on my bicycle now, and pants seem to me more modest for that, though some skirts do work okay with the bike if it's not too windy.

I'm still looking for some fresh headcoverings. I saw the scarves we have at work, I might get one of those but I hate shopping there for things like that. I might spend a little if I see something neat at the art festival today.

One thing I'm finding with clothes is that necklines tend to follow hemlines. That is, if I find a shirt I like the length of--coming at least to mid hip, usually--the neckline will be kind of low. Which I don't really mind in winter, but it's got me thinking I should go more hijab-like on my covering in summer, so I don't get a sunburn!

I've experimented with a variety of coverings. I think I'd like a snood, maybe...I really want something that's light and breathes for summer. My recent standby has been a black cotton rectangular scarf with orange and red butterflies on it that breathes, but the color is not conductive to staying cool once I step outside. I've thought about wearing my Norse Dublin cap and triangular underscarf, which is my standby for the SCA, though sometimes I wear a veil pinned to an underscarf or fillet instead. That kind of veil definitely looks out of place with my work clothes--unless I maybe make myself a navy blue dress, pair it with my brown apron dress, and start wearing garb to work. I have worn the brown apron dress as a jumper a couple of times, with leggings under it...
Dressing period in my daily life could be fun, except the "period" my religious beliefs and re-enactment persona lend themselves to doesn't mix well with the desert!

Seriously, I'm still trying to find the perfect style for dressing modestly when it's 115F outside!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#432 of 1083 Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
you're GORGEOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I have been wearing the mentioned hijab underscarves or "sleeves as some sites call them. And over top the underscarf, I place a rectangular scarf which I wrap in a tichel bun or sometimes a turban or just let the strands hang down the back.
Surprising to anyone who has ever really seen me, but I used to do that a lot too. I liked it because it usually reads more "hey, look at that cool bohemian chick" than "hey, what's up with that weird religious girl."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Seriously, I'm still trying to find the perfect style for dressing modestly when it's 115F outside!
Loose cotton voile is the modest woman's very best friend in the world some days.
#433 of 1083 Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM

hey ravin, can you post a pic of how you wear the veil? I'm having a hard time pictureing it but it sounds really pretty.

#434 of 1083 Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Surprising to anyone who has ever really seen me, but I used to do that a lot too. I liked it because it usually reads more "hey, look at that cool bohemian chick" than "hey, what's up with that weird religious girl."
Yup. That's how my style tends to be.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#435 of 1083 Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM

I generally try for that... lol

#436 of 1083 Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
hey ravin, can you post a pic of how you wear the veil? I'm having a hard time pictureing it but it sounds really pretty.
This article shows the method of wearing a veil I was referring to. I tend to run the band behind my head instead of under my chin, though, and I don't wear a coronet of any sort. Also the two veils I have are shorter, one is round and just covers the back of my hair, the other is oval and will come down to my collar.

http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html

Anyway, I found a couple of nice hand-dyed silk scarves at the art festival (in a seconds/clearance bin!) They're both a bit narrow, but one I can wrap to cover everything or, today, I wore it like an extra-wide headband wrapped once flat then once rolled into a crown, over a plain-jane brown triangular scarf. The red one has a gold-yellow goddess image stamped onto the ends, and the other is multicolored blue and blue-green.

The silk is nice and lightweight and breathable, too. Makes me think it might be worthwhile to order some scarves from dharma trading co. and try my hand at dyeing...though as the lady I bought them from pointed out, doing that for a hobbyist is likely to wind up costing more than buying a finished scarf from an artisan, even at her full prices, because of the materials outlay.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#437 of 1083 Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 PM

For other DIYers out there

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4...ories&page=all
bonus, Joann's is having a sale on McCall's patterns April 2 - 4

http://www.alteredcloth.com/blog/200...head-scarf.php
I did this with silk and it was tricky. I have a gauze I'm going to use next, as well as a cotton with silver threads that looks just like Israeli style tichels from most websites.

Tons of links for DIY headcovering
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/haircover.html

#438 of 1083 Old 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

F'g', love the orange one on the McCalls site. I always think I look strange without some kind of "hair" (whether it be my hair, a fall/wig, or fabric "hair") going down my shoulders.

I'm contemplating cutting my hair to make covering easier. Just to about chin-length - it's just below shoulder-length at this point. Not sure, though. Any thoughts? I'm thinking that with summer coming up, it might be more comfortable short.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#439 of 1083 Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 AM

hmmm thanks for the diy patterns. I appreciate it so much! been wanting to make some of my own.

Myself, I can't imagine cutting my hair that short. I love my hair long. It makes it harder to deal with, and hot in summer, but its beautiful, and feminine, and looks good on me. It might be easier to put up/cover if it weren't nearly to my rear, I like it this way though. Of course, my particular curls also don't look as good short. They get way too puffy without the extra weight of the length. Depends. some people look good in short hair others don't.

#440 of 1083 Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 AM

For you ladies who are snood wearers-
Where do you get your snoods? I would really like one for work.

#441 of 1083 Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM

For snoods I love http://headcoverings-by-devorah.com/

she also sells on Etsy.

#442 of 1083 Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 PM

The oath I swore when I started covering was to do so until my hair was long enough to tie into a knot. As I'd just shaved my head a few months before, I'll not be cutting it for a good long while. It's just past my shoulders now, in the back, but shorter on top. I may get it trimmed to even it out at some point, but not until I can do so and still have it long enough to put in a ponytail/bun, which it just barely is now.

#443 of 1083 Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 PM

I found something for work!!!! ::

I got an open-work beret from Target for 9.99! Not bad, esp if I am not fond of it for work. So- JOY! ::

#444 of 1083 Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM

P&L that beret is cute!
#445 of 1083 Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 AM

Has anyone ever ordered from New Creation Apparel? They have quite a lot of long skirts. I've been looking and looking and looking for an ankle-length brown skirt, so I just ordered the liberty tweed skirt ... I'll post if its nice.
#446 of 1083 Old 04-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Ooohhhhhhhhh, look at the embroidered ones! :

And they have long maternity skirts too! I wish I had known about them when I was pregnant.
#447 of 1083 Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Hi Ladies,

I am a Pagan mama who has been covering for 2 years. I cover whenever I leave the house, or when we have company. I have no specific style, but try to cover as much hair as possible. I am a Roman Recon Pagan, and Roman women in society covered their hair. So, since I am trying to recon the religion as closely as possible, I just felt called to cover my head.

I use snoods, hijabs, and tichels as my main choices for out of the house. I use anabaptist styles in my home, and add a large sun hat/bonnet when I am outside in the garden (which this time of year looks more like a desert). I try to dress modestly, but do not shy away from jeans/pants when I do not feel like wearing a skirt. I wear makeup on very rare occasions, but for the most part do not find it necessary. Oh, and I do have a few togas for my yard in the summer here in SW FL. I need bug spray, and they are reserved for when I am walking into the oak hammock that is my back yard. I wear a shawl until I get into the woods, and then deposit it on a tree. This is where I meditate, hold commune with my ancestors. I have actually read all of the pages in this thread, and find it wonderful that so many women, with such different backgrounds, can all share this common thread in life.

Head covering Pagan-Quaker mama to 6yo DS, and DH. Recent WAHM www.napleshealthadvisers.com
#448 of 1083 Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 AM

FeyFellow, I had no idea before coming to this thread that there are pagans who wear headcoverings. Could you elaborate more on your beliefs and why you cover? I find this topic to be totally fascinating.
#449 of 1083 Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 AM

For some reason, I feel (from my expeirience), that more and more women are being called by their God or Gods and Goddesses, to cover their heads, for no explicit reason. Maybe more people are tuning back in? I'm not sure why, but I've known SOOOO many people from all walks of life, (and religions) who say "the way I practice my religion does not demand I cover my hair, but I feel like God wants me to, and I want me to, so I do" (I use God here as a term to indicate any divine/spiritual higher power of any gender that the speaker believes in. the english language requires me to choose a number and gender.)

#450 of 1083 Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know about gods or goddesses, but my HUSBAND has been calling me to grow out my hair for about four years now, do I just ordered $45.90 worth of headcoverings (hijab underscarves) through this site. The prices are awesome!

Hopefully thye'll look great and I'll get it together enough to post pics when they arrive... seriously 1/4 the price of the three-seam turbans that my mother charmingly calls "cancer hats." (She's a cancer survivor.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page