"Cover"-ed Girls! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the claw clippies? like these? Really? don't they look bumpy and weird and be uncomfortable? hmmm. I'll have to give that a try, thanks

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 AM

they also make curved bobby pins.. they are strong, tight and stick flat to your head. the ends don't stick up like trditional bobby pins - and they hold tight. (infact I have to be careful taking them out or they pull my hair) but they are also lightweight and hardly noticable.

I woudl find a kercheif/square scarf and fold it triangular. find one that isn't cotton but instead a flowy material (silk, rayon etc...) and it wont stick up in the corners in that weird fashion like kerchiefs like to do.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
the claw clippies? like these? Really? don't they look bumpy and weird and be uncomfortable? hmmm. I'll have to give that a try, thanks
Yes, but the very smallest out there. There like the size of raisins LOL!
I use them when I wrap the ends around my head, and they do not show at all.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The non-slip bobby pis work really well for me. The "teeth" inside the clip really do hold well to the fabric and my hair.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 AM

Where do you ladies purchase your scarves?
I have a few at WalMart that I like (cotton jersey for work, easier to wash), but I am looking for some nicer ones.
I found a few on tznius.com, but I didn't know if I was missing other resources.

And I cannot seem to find the link earlier on in the thread for the underscarves.

And who ordered the Meg's Snood from Garlands of Grace? What was it that you did not like about the snood?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
Where do you ladies purchase your scarves?
I have a few at WalMart that I like (cotton jersey for work, easier to wash), but I am looking for some nicer ones.
I found a few on tznius.com, but I didn't know if I was missing other resources.

And I cannot seem to find the link earlier on in the thread for the underscarves.

And who ordered the Meg's Snood from Garlands of Grace? What was it that you did not like about the snood?
http://www.modestclothing.com/
Both this one and tznius have the stretchy snoods/underscarves.

You can also search "tichel" on ebay. Lots of them on there.
If you happen to have an Indian clothing store in a mall near you, they often carry the thin scarves, both in square and oblong.
They just call them scarves, though.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
http://www.modestclothing.com/
Both this one and tznius have the stretchy snoods/underscarves.

You can also search "tichel" on ebay. Lots of them on there.
If you happen to have an Indian clothing store in a mall near you, they often carry the thin scarves, both in square and oblong.
They just call them scarves, though.
danke!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM

This thread has become HUGE so I'm just repeating myself here ...

A few months ago, I purchased some scarves from www.modestworld.com . The scarves were beautiful. The owner of the site is hard to reach - there is no contact address listed. I'm always wary of sites that don't offer their phone number and address. Nevertheless, twice, I ordered scarves from this site and they are by far the most beautiful rectangular scarves I own. And the scarves arrived quickly too.

I also bought scarves and hijab sleeves from http://www.almuhajabat.com/. The owner was incredibly pleasant, very communicative and very helpful.

But I placed another order a few months ago and this time I ordered multiple copies of a particular greeting card along with some more sleeves. I also ordered more hijab sleeves.

I was really annoyed when my order arrived and instead of 6 greeting cards of one particular photo - I received 6 cards with a variety of designs (none of which I liked). I especially ordered one design because I intended to have it framed and give it as gifts.

I knew the owner couldn't have made an error because the packing slip included my actual order. So it was obvious she did this swap on purpose.

When I contacted her she just said she only had one of the designs I ordered so she just included others. She made no apologies and didn't seem to think she should have told me before she sent the order.

I was really ticked off. I think each card cost me $3.00 and I'm Canadian so everything is raised in price by the exchange of dollars plus shipping.

I was also ticked off because if she knew she only had one item in stock and I ordered 6 - why not tell me and give me the option to change my order? What she did send me was UGLY and not what I ordered.

So, in fact, she made a choice to just take my money and not inform the customer.

And, I found the hijab sleeves low in price but also cheaply made! And there is no consistency in sizing of the sleeves.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 PM

I am a covering Muslim mama and had a funny encounter in Costco this weekend. I was wearing my DD (5 months) in a pouch and had a white scarf on as usual-in my mind it is less threatening. A mom told her little boy "look at the baby" and the little boy said "oh it is baby Jesus"

Kids are so cute! They say the funniest things. I imagine with the close proximity to Easter he has seen some images of Mary covered. I thought it was hilarious! I can only hope, pray, and strive to have some of her characteristics!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I was also ticked off because if she knew she only had one item in stock and I ordered 6 - why not tell me and give me the option to change my order? What she did send me was UGLY and not what I ordered.
I ordered a card from her once too, as an afterthought (I had a gift certificate and was just trying to use it up) ... there were two with the same image, one with writing on the front and one without. I ordered the one without, and instead received the writing one plus an extra ... I figured she accidentally oversold and filled the order as best she could with a bonus as an apology. I didn't know it was a trend.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilige View Post
I am a covering Muslim mama and had a funny encounter in Costco this weekend. I was wearing my DD (5 months) in a pouch and had a white scarf on as usual-in my mind it is less threatening. A mom told her little boy "look at the baby" and the little boy said "oh it is baby Jesus"

Kids are so cute! They say the funniest things. I imagine with the close proximity to Easter he has seen some images of Mary covered. I thought it was hilarious! I can only hope, pray, and strive to have some of her characteristics!
that is SO cute!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Liquesce - that's exactly what happened to me (except it seemed to take me an entire paragraph to express it). I had ordered 6 or more of the same print. I was annoyed because if I had known she was going to send me 6 things I didn't want (she threw in a "bonus"), I'd have skipped the entire order. I also didn't like the lack of apology or communication.

My suspicion is, given the economy, a lot of online vendors are struggling so I think buyers should beware.

sheilige- now that is funny!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilige View Post

My daughter said that to the Muslim lady at the grocery store (exact words "*gasp* She looks like Mama Mary!")! The lady asked me for a quick explination, and she was very flattered when I told her that DD thought she looked (and looks) like Jesus' mother.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:22 AM

I found a lovely site offering "pre-tied" hijab headcoverings. The company is called Symmetry Fashion

In the About section, they have handy videos and pictures

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM

Meglet,

I had a really horrible time with my tichels slipping, too, until someone (I think it was P&L) suggested sewing a comb into the front of it, right along my hairline. I did that and it was *much* improved, but I still found that it slipped off my head as the day wore on. Then I discovered that parting my hair right down the middle first, then wrapping it in a bun and then tying on my bun-style tichel, making sure the comb gets shoved into the part of my hair. It only slips very, very rarely now.

I now wear a combination of bun-style tichels and these, which I also put combs into,: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=19004084

Hope that helps.
-Deedee
Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks deedee, I think that would help. I just don't want to "sacrifice" my "tichels", since they are scarves, and I wear them in all sorts of ways, not just as head coverings. They make the perfect "simple peice of cloth" accesory which can be tied as a belt, flung over the shoulder, as a shawl, as a sash, and some of the ones I use are actually rebozos, and can be used also for midwifery and baby wearing. Maybe I'll make some that are JUST for hair that I can sew combs into though...

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 AM

Hello ladies!

Two things haved happened recently:
I have been reading Hijab Style and I found Polyvore. Needless to say, I haven't gotten much done

So, I designed a hijab-style outfit, inspired by some of the tips from Hijab Style. (layering, dresses over pants, etc). Now, I am not Muslim, so I don't have requirements for my dress, but I love some of the ideas I have seen on several hijab dressing blogs.

Thoughts?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM

magelet - you use rebozos as hair coverings?! aren't you HOT? I bet it looks good

P&L: I liked your outfits. cute.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
magelet - you use rebozos as hair coverings?! aren't you HOT? I bet it looks good
Frida Kahlo. Little known fact among babywearers -- one of the traditional uses for a rebozo is just as a plain old ordinary garment, be it around the shoulders or up over the head.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:24 PM

ahhh thats so gorgeous!!!

yeah, I wear my rebozo as a headcovering sometimes. (not often. its white, and leaves white lint in my hair. I'm hoping a couple more washings will cure it of this). Its actually a little short for babywearing I think, I got it primarily for the midwifery. The weave has tighter patches and looser patches, with a very thick thread/thin yarn. I wear it the same way I wear some scarves.

Its neither too hot nor too cold. I haven't tried it in the super heat of summer but I bet it will be lovely, just like long skirts are. I can wrap it so its over my shoulders, which acts as either another layer in the winter, or to keep the sun off my shoulders in the summer, which keeps me cool. I don't wrap it exactly like she has there, though I would LOVE to know how she did that. mine won't sit like that exactly. I also love that fabric. I really want one that is a bit finer weave, and longer, for babycarrying among other things. It would also probably look better that way. I feel like mine is a touch heavy for a headcovering though I do wear it that way.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 PM

I knew rebozos were used as garments, but it never occurred to me that it would go over the head. I've used mine as a shawl and all but I was thinking more "turban" and less "hijab" when the head covering image initially popped into my head. hee.

one more point for babywearing!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM

I the right dress over pants. That outfit is really cute.

P.S.- You might also like We Love Hijab and Hijabs High. (The latter is just street fashion shots, some good, some kind of scary bad, but typically way more inspiring than some of the blogs featuring what turn out to be mostly Gucci dresses and mile high heels. I liked this look a lot.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
Hello ladies!

Two things haved happened recently:
I have been reading Hijab Style and I found Polyvore. Needless to say, I haven't gotten much done

So, I designed a hijab-style outfit, inspired by some of the tips from Hijab Style. (layering, dresses over pants, etc). Now, I am not Muslim, so I don't have requirements for my dress, but I love some of the ideas I have seen on several hijab dressing blogs.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post

P.S.- You might also like We Love Hijab and Hijabs High. (The latter is just street fashion shots, some good, some kind of scary bad, but typically way more inspiring than some of the blogs featuring what turn out to be mostly Gucci dresses and mile high heels. I liked this look a lot.)
So cute!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:

*gush* SO PRETTY!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I actually do this for my daughter a lot. She loves dresses but she is not good and sitting nicely yet and bloomers over underwear just look like poofy underwear to me which sort of defeats their point. (She is almost 4, if she were a baby that would be another story). I love to find tunic style dresses for her and put light knit leggings from Target under them. I always find really good deals at Tea Collection from last season (the new stuff is WAY overpriced). She sort of looks like a child's version of the outfits in those links you posted.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
I actually do this for my daughter a lot. She loves dresses but she is not good and sitting nicely yet and bloomers over underwear just look like poofy underwear to me which sort of defeats their point. (She is almost 4, if she were a baby that would be another story). I love to find tunic style dresses for her and put light knit leggings from Target under them. I always find really good deals at Tea Collection from last season (the new stuff is WAY overpriced). She sort of looks like a child's version of the outfits in those links you posted.
Glad to know that I am not the only Mama who does that!
I think Vivi looks cutest in one of her cotton flowered play dresses with coordinating leggings/capris underneath.
I don't know what I am going to do when she is in a uniform jumper next fall! I guess buy a bunch of shorts!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
I always find really good deals at Tea Collection from last season (the new stuff is WAY overpriced). She sort of looks like a child's version of the outfits in those links you posted.
Tea Collection clothes are awesome for that -- half the time I wish my daughter's came in my size too.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 AM

I love the snood covers that Garlands has, but knew that I could likely just whip up one for myself, since I cannot see spending extra money on more coverings (when you wear tichels, one tends to have quite a few LOL)
So, I fiddled around, and absolutly love what I came up with!
I plan to make a few more color choices tommorow, so I will take soem pics and post them for you all to see.
All I am using for fabrics, are those remnant squares that Joannes sells.
They are the perfect size.
Paula

Old 04-29-2009, 05:28 PM

Can you please show me how you did it? They are cute, but I can't spend the money right now. I'd love to make one though. Since I've never seen a snood in person, I'm not totally sure how they are constructed.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
Can you please show me how you did it? They are cute, but I can't spend the money right now. I'd love to make one though. Since I've never seen a snood in person, I'm not totally sure how they are constructed.
I will do a picture tutorial today, and will post it on my blog.
I realy have no idea how Garlands actually makes theirs, and am just being creative in my efforts.

User Tag List