"Cover"-ed Girls! - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 1083 Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wearing something like this today, only the holes are smaller. I find baseball hats get REALLY hot on my head when it's humid. I like thin or crocheted snoods, or a thin tichel in a light color, wrapped loosely.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 of 1083 Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
I meant more about covering the head. Anything on my head in the heat makes me crazy. Add that I already run hot, I currently have my own personal internal space heater, and the newness of humidity - I just feel gross and unsophisticated and very un-put together. When it works with the outfit, I've been doing ball caps. I found I really like snoods and scarves, but even the lightest viole type fabric makes me insane right now.

When it's just hot I'm all about natural fibers, but when it's really sticky I actually like synthetics. Which sounds crazy, but what I'll wear sometimes are scarves made out of the same kind of material that make the best niqabs. The reason being that for women who cover their face, appropriate materials will be slightly loosely woven and textured such that air moves easily in and out, and does not absorb moisture such that they wind up with a piece of wet fabric stuck to their faces from the humidity of breathing. The same features help out a little on the head on oppressive days ... loosely wrapped, they don't retain a lot of heat.

I also learned a long time ago that for me, at least, when it's hot out I'm more comfortable if I shower right before getting dressed so that my hair is wet when I cover it. Even the breeze of just walking is enough to be more comfortable.

Of course the other thing I had to figure out once -- after going through a spell of buying a lot of clothes in lighter and looser materials, looking for that magical outfit that was going to act like air conditioning -- was that on really icky days, when everyone else is droopy and sweaty and blah too, nothing I put on my body is going to turn the day into autumn for me. Though it sounds like maybe you have more of a textural thing about fabrics touching you in the heat than a heat thing itself?
#663 of 1083 Old 08-25-2009, 02:55 PM

And can I venture to add a pregnancy thing as well?
#664 of 1083 Old 08-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
And can I venture to add a pregnancy thing as well?
yeah, that might have something to do with it.

Liquesce - I would that you'd post a picture of yourself in your "parasol." I bet you look mighty chic but I must say my mind's eye conjures an image of something more like the HydroChic swim suit

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#665 of 1083 Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM

I find long cotton lightweight skirts are they ONLY thing I can tolerate on really hot days when I'm out. If I'm home and its really really hot, I'll pull the shades (obviously for the heat as well), and wear a leotard, swimsuit, or less. I just don't do well in the heat. I don't have kids, but I can't imagine having any problem when I do wearing a leo or swimsuit around the house on those days where it feels like a million degrees.

In terms of headcoverings, we haven't had any of those roasting hot days since I started covering, but I suspect that wearing a loosely wrapped "rebozo" covering (I made up the name after seeing something vaguely like it here, and here. Its a bit more like the latter. I do it like this. If you have a larger scarf, you can spread it over your shoulders, and it is rather cool in a loose scarf. Since I first tried this, I learned that pinning it to your head helps, and I want to try a safety pin or brooch on the shoulder to hold it all in place. I suspect it will be rather good at staying put with that addition.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#666 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Liquesce - I would that you'd post a picture of yourself in your "parasol." I bet you look mighty chic but I must say my mind's eye conjures an image of something more like the HydroChic swim suit
Uh ... no, not that. With minor seasonal variations, my uniform typically goes like this. Which I guess also fulfills P&L's request for "here's how I dress" posts.
#667 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Uh ... no, not that. With minor seasonal variations, my uniform typically goes like this. Which I guess also fulfills P&L's request for "here's how I dress" posts.
Do you like the collared shirts? I find that I can't find them in cotton - only crappy synthetics, so I never wear them. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#668 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 AM

What kind of collar? That shirt I think has a mandarin collar ... I do have a couple of basic oxford shirts, but one is poly-cotton and the other is a pretty dense cotton. They don't see a lot of hot weather wear.
#669 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What kind of collar? That shirt I think has a mandarin collar ... I do have a couple of basic oxford shirts, but one is poly-cotton and the other is a pretty dense cotton. They don't see a lot of hot weather wear.
Ah ok. Do you wear collared shirts in summer? Or, I guess the better question is - WHAT do you wear in the summer, since you cover more than I do.

#670 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Well, these are the necklines of the clothes I'm most likely to wear on hotter days ... to be honest though, aside from "no turtlenecks," I've never even thought about necklines other than to make sure I'm not going to be flashing cleavage from beneath my scarf.
#671 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I knew you were going to look stylish And bless you for being so at ease with posting pictures to inspire the rest of us

#672 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I knew you were going to look stylish And bless you for being so at ease with posting pictures to inspire the rest of us
If I were more able to dress how I want to, rather than how I can (using the clothes I have), I would more likely to post pics. But once I get moved up north, I shall post some pics of my favorite more modest and cover-y outfits.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#673 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM

No worries P&L. I'm not posting anything anytime soon! Maybe I'll wait for autumn/winter. And if I ever finish this new Ren costume, maybe I'll post that. You know, since it requires a hair covering.

btw thank you for the link to distinctivehaircoverings.com I bought several of her styles and I like them very much.

#674 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 PM

Here is a fun idea!
Given no monetary restrictions, what kind of outfit would you create as a model of your "everyday wear" or what you aspire/hope your everyday wear can/will be?

Mine would look something like this:
http://www.polyvore.com/ideal_outfit/set?id=11634164

#675 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
No worries P&L. I'm not posting anything anytime soon! Maybe I'll wait for autumn/winter. And if I ever finish this new Ren costume, maybe I'll post that. You know, since it requires a hair covering.

btw thank you for the link to distinctivehaircoverings.com I bought several of her styles and I like them very much.
Yay!
I do love the look of her items.
BTW- does anyone know how to tie their scarf like these? I have tried, and it doesn't seem to work. And I cannot seem to find a link to a "how-to"

#676 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Just wanted to let you Mamas know that you don't have to worry about being kicked out of court for headcoverings. (It's happened...in the past.) A new federal ruling just came down allowing headcoverings for religious and medical reasons. :

Also... Divine ModesTees is having a sale on their Daily UnderT's (great for layering). Only $10!!!

http://shop.1asecure.com/index.cfm?DeptNo=21

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#677 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
Yay!
BTW- does anyone know how to tie their scarf like these? I have tried, and it doesn't seem to work. And I cannot seem to find a link to a "how-to"
I tie my scarf like that a lot. I actually like it better with square scarves folded into a triangle. Don't know how to show you, though.........

BTW, I hate you, P+L.

I just spent an hour putting this together. So much fun. I went through like 8 outfits before I finally had to stop.

http://www.polyvore.com/summer_outfi...mp;id=11638145

#678 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is a fun idea!
Given no monetary restrictions, what kind of outfit would you create as a model of your "everyday wear" or what you aspire/hope your everyday wear can/will be?

Mine would look something like this:
http://www.polyvore.com/ideal_outfit/set?id=11634164

I really like that!
I should maybe give some thought to mine as I really really need to buy some new clothes asap. I have 1 decent outfit and all the rest of my clothes have holes in them or some other issue.

How do you do polyvore? And, not to be dense, but then do you buy the pieces after? Or is it just for fashion ideas? Because my issue is a complete lack of clothes, not so much inspiration

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#679 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
#680 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I just spent an hour putting this together. So much fun. I went through like 8 outfits before I finally had to stop.

http://www.polyvore.com/summer_outfi...mp;id=11638145
I looooooove orange and brown together. I have a scarf that is such a "summer of love" paisley, but it's all coffee brown and orange and red and yellow, so even if it makes me feel like it should be tied around Hendrix's head I love it just for the colors.
#681 of 1083 Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I looooooove orange and brown together. I have a scarf that is such a "summer of love" paisley, but it's all coffee brown and orange and red and yellow, so even if it makes me feel like it should be tied around Hendrix's head I love it just for the colors.
I just got an amazing scarf at Target the other day. It's brown with orange, pink, and purple paisley-like designs. It's GORGEOUS. I just looked for it on Target.com and they don't have it for me to show you. So I'll have to take a pic tomorrow.

#682 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
How do you do polyvore? And, not to be dense, but then do you buy the pieces after? Or is it just for fashion ideas? Because my issue is a complete lack of clothes, not so much inspiration
It's more fashion ideas.
There is a how-to on the polyvore home page that tells you how you can "clip" clothes from sites, and add it to your collection.

#683 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM

I started a thread in Religious Studies...but someone suggested I come over here...I hope it's okay to just bust in to your conversation...

I'm mostly targeting the Christian Mamas that cover:

I was watching a tv show online and one of the characters (Muslim) was covered...Something about it hit home for me. It's not the first time and I'm not sure why I feel the way I do about it. I have no problems with tank tops (especially living in Texas) but dress fairly modest by my own choice. So, I wanted you guys to weigh in...

What denomination are you? Why do you cover your head/hair? All the time or just semi? Do you dress covered as well?

A million questions...I'd really appreciate your input.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#684 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Bust away! I think you'll get some great input here. And welcome! There are lots of us here in various states of covering.

#685 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yay!
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl has instructions on tying various ways (those are gorgeous scarves on the site you linked!) and also http://www.clothesandstuff.com/pages.php?pageid=6
#686 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I just got an amazing scarf at Target the other day. It's brown with orange, pink, and purple paisley-like designs. It's GORGEOUS. I just looked for it on Target.com and they don't have it for me to show you. So I'll have to take a pic tomorrow.
Cool. This is the hippie paisley I was talking about.
#687 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I started a thread in Religious Studies...but someone suggested I come over here...I hope it's okay to just bust in to your conversation...

I'm mostly targeting the Christian Mamas that cover:

I was watching a tv show online and one of the characters (Muslim) was covered...Something about it hit home for me. It's not the first time and I'm not sure why I feel the way I do about it. I have no problems with tank tops (especially living in Texas) but dress fairly modest by my own choice. So, I wanted you guys to weigh in...

What denomination are you? Why do you cover your head/hair? All the time or just semi? Do you dress covered as well?

I've bought a few coverings to wear at Mass and yet I haven't quite gotten to the point where I am really wearing them regularly yet. I do feel drawn to covering though, especially in a church. I find I like to read this thread because as I went through my conversion to Catholic Christianity I found the need and desire to dress much more modestly than I used to and this thread is so informative in all areas of modesty, not just covering. The ladies here are great!

I am most drawn to this style of head cover right now: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5830493

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#688 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

Welcome!

I'm Catholic. I cover 100% of the time in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament because it is a respectful tradition maintained for 1,960+ some years, and only fallen off in America in the last decade. I also love what this choice represents - modesty, meekness, humility etc. It also has mystical beauty for lack of a better phrase in a series of parallels of love that help explain our Church.

I also cover 80-90% of the time ordinarily, although I"m only at wide headbands that cover the crown of my head much of the time, rather than a full veil I would wear to Church. I think I do this for 2 reasons. 1st is a kind of readiness for God. If I'm already covered (even if its the minimum - crown of the head), I can pop into a Church whenever to visit Our Lord. I've also come to look at it as spiritually ready for God in my life. 2nd is modesty. There are so many facets to why I dress modestly I don't even know where to start, but I have decided covering my hair is part of that modesty and I know I'm right when I see people's different reactions when I'm covered vs. not.

I do also dress modestly on a daily basis and for me that is typically long skirts and at least elbow length shirts with regular collars (not too swooping). I have some looser pants, and knee length skirts though as well.

I completely left our our dear St. Paul but perhaps someone else will mention him. Hopefully that helped a little bit?

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#689 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
I am most drawn to this style of head cover right now: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5830493
Oooooooooh, love those! I went through an "I hate my hair - I want locks" phase earlier on last year and I was lusting after those. Never had the courage to actually loc my hair, though.

#690 of 1083 Old 08-27-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool. This is the hippie paisley I was talking about.
Love it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page