Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Ok, gulp... I'm delurking for a moment.

I almost always wear a headcovering. Not fam tradition, or even religiously the norm where I grew up. Just felt right. I feel weird/naked without a headcovering.

I feel drawn to learn more about this.

Ok, relurkifying now.

How can you be cool enough to mint a word such as "relurkifying" and then not stay and chat?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#62 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Faliciagayle, we will DEFINITELY take pictures if we do this.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#63 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Faliciagayle, we will DEFINITELY take pictures if we do this.
Definitely

Orthodox Mama
#64 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

What's a pretty standard size for a tichel? And what's standard for hijab? Are they interchangeable?

Tichel-wearers, what are your favorite ties? Have you ever experimented with some of the braids and stuff?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#65 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 AM

i cover..so does da hubz

Erika, wife to Eric, Mom to Son's, Mathias, Colin and Bonus Baby Girl Salem ::
#66 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:47 AM

Going off of the Tznius.com site: I have done the bun and classic tie the most. The crown doesn't look good on me at all.

I would love to do the dutch crown, but my biggest problem is the weight causing my coverings to slip. I can't wear the tight stocking like snood underneath because it seems to be made for people with smaller heads than mine and it causes the earpieces on my glasses to press in and hurt my head. I guess I could work at making some looser ones

I might try doing the snood band or glitter glamour sometime.

What is really fun is doing the bun (but flatter to the head...more like a back crown) with a triangle scarf with fringe.

Orthodox Mama
#67 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 01:54 AM

Seems like several of us are up late

Orthodox Mama
#68 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
And what's standard for hijab?
Umm ... somewhere between about 30 and 60 inches square, 15-20x60-70 or so and ... well, and huge , and/or a sort of a fabric circle with an opening in the middle at the seam for the face to show, which may come down to anywhere between the shoulders, the waist, and somewhere approaching the floor.

It's all so clear now, right?
#69 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Hi there, i am a covering pagan or begining to cover anway, i cover about half of the time. I do it for my own religious reasons that i can go into if anyone is interested, but i warn you they are a bit, well batty
#70 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
Hi there, i am a covering pagan or begining to cover anway, i cover about half of the time. I do it for my own religious reasons that i can go into if anyone is interested, but i warn you they are a bit, well batty
Actually, I would love to hear your reasons

Orthodox Mama
#71 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
Ditto!

#72 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Ditto!
thrice interested!

Liquesce: Unmarried girls cover? I'm sorry if this is totally ignorant, but I was surprised to see pics of little girls in the hijab. I loved all the images of different coverings!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#73 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Faliciagayle, I believe Muslim girls start covering at puberty - as opposed to us delineating at marriage.

Liquesce, am I right?

#74 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Tichel-wearers, what are your favorite ties? Have you ever experimented with some of the braids and stuff?

Also from the Tznius website, I've done the Bun, the Jerusalem twist, the crown, and the classic tie.

Lately, I've just been wearing bandanas, hard headbands and/or hats.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#75 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

How can you be cool enough to mint a word such as "relurkifying" and then not stay and chat?
well I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome! Thanks ladies!

So here's a question, do you feel compelled to cover your bfing in public? I'm a modest person in general, but I have bfing in public down to a science and never show anything, therefore don't have to worry about a specific cover. (Also my ds wouldn't go for it, and I'd end up showing more!)

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#76 of 1083 Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So here's a question, do you feel compelled to cover your bfing in public? I'm a modest person in general, but I have bfing in public down to a science and never show anything, therefore don't have to worry about a specific cover. (Also my ds wouldn't go for it, and I'd end up showing more!)
This is one I struggle with, actually. I usually try not to put myself in a situation where I'd need to nurse in public, but we all know that's not a perfect system. So I'll first try to find a quiet, out-of-the-way place where I won't have to worry about covering or a place where I'm pretty sure I'll only see women (can anyone say pajama dept at Kohl's? ). Toby is very resistant to having a cover over his head, so I've almost stopped trying. If I'm somewhere crowded and can't get away and he's having a hissy fit, though, I'll nurse without any cover. His needs come first.

Interested to hear others' POVs.

#77 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi! Can I join on a part time basis since I'm a part time cover-er?

I'm Catholic and cover for mass/worship per 1 Cor. We interpret that to mean specifically for worship though so there is no calling to cover full time just on that passage alone. I do cover on days my religious life needs a boost -- and also to keep my 6 month old from yanking my hair out at the root.

I head coverings. I sometimes feel sorry that I don't come from a tradition that covers full time, or have those deeply held beliefs. I guess when I reach a point in my life that I can resume daily mass, I'll be covering every day.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#78 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
well I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome! Thanks ladies!

I was always as modest as possible when nursing in public (NIP) but I never used a specific nursing cover. I had nursing dresses, or I'd wear blouses and unbutton a bit in the center and wear under a wide-sleeved jumper, creating a "2 piece nursing dress" a t-shirt that was loose enough to pretty much cover me while nursing.

I never worried if a small bit of skin got exposed in the process of feeding my baby- that's what G-d gave me breasts for, why should I need to hide?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#79 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Faliciagayle, I believe Muslim girls start covering at puberty - as opposed to us delineating at marriage.

Liquesce, am I right?
Basically ... around puberty, or whenever a girl really feels that it's right for her. There's a lot of room for interpretation, culture, and personal preferences, since there's no clearly defined rule like "cover after X birthday or Y event." Some people will include headscarves in their little girls' wardrobes just because they like them and think they're cute, some will out of a perception that it reflects on their own piety, some religious schools will make it a part of their standard all-ages dress codes and uniforms, and almost everyone regardless of age and regardless of whether they cover otherwise covers to pray. (Which is what the girls in that picture are wearing ... typical skirt and headcover sets made for prayer; I have similar myself, albeit a wee bit upsized. )

I think the rectangular scarves that are among the most popular at the moment as hijabs and the scarves sold as tichels are basically the same thing, no?

Quote:
So here's a question, do you feel compelled to cover your bfing in public?
I (a) carry a semi-opaque lightweight scarf in my diaper bag, or (b) tie my headscarf so it comes across my chest anyway, or (c) wear an overgarment that wraps across the front to close just at the shoulder, so it's easy to tuck the baby inside. I know that's all kind of against the MDC breastfeeding activism ideal, but I look at it more like demonstrating that women who really prefer to absolutely ensure that their chest remain covered in public do not have a choice just between bottlefeeding and hiding in the bathroom.
#80 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I (a) carry a semi-opaque lightweight scarf in my diaper bag, or (b) tie my headscarf so it comes across my chest anyway, or (c) wear an overgarment that wraps across the front to close just at the shoulder, so it's easy to tuck the baby inside. I know that's all kind of against the MDC breastfeeding activism ideal, but I look at it more like demonstrating that women who really prefer to absolutely ensure that their chest remain covered in public do not have a choice just between bottlefeeding and hiding in the bathroom.
See, I think that's an awesome attitude. I shouldn't have said I never show anything, I know there's a chance that some breast shows, but I don't mind, as I view bfing as natural. That being said, I think that everyone has a different comfort level and you being comfortable covered DOES show other women that bfing is natural and fits into every women's lifestyle.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#81 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
See, I think that's an awesome attitude. I shouldn't have said I never show anything, I know there's a chance that some breast shows, but I don't mind, as I view bfing as natural. That being said, I think that everyone has a different comfort level and you being comfortable covered DOES show other women that bfing is natural and fits into every women's lifestyle.
The interesting thing to me is that when I was living in a neighborhood in which women's public dress overall was defined by full, loose, quite fastidious religiously-inspired coverage, when it came to breastfeeding it was perfectly usual to see women on the street, out shopping, etc, just going about their daily business, stopping to breastfeed a child, some taking care to stay covered, some taking some care but not really stressing about it, and some just not minding at all who saw what since it was in the context of there being a perfectly legitimate reason to be exposed. It was really nice to see breastfeeding culturally perceived as being such an ordinary, necessary part of life that among the unanimously modest any level of modesty about it was perfectly acceptable ... except not doing it due to modesty preferences.
#82 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 AM

P.S. - Does anyone here knit? This looked to me like it has some interesting winter-wear potential.
#83 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
P.S. - Does anyone here knit? This looked to me like it has some interesting winter-wear potential.
Wow, thank you. I'm actually making a feather and fan throw for one of my sisters.

Orthodox Mama
#84 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Hi! Can I join on a part time basis since I'm a part time cover-er?

I'm Catholic and cover for mass/worship per 1 Cor. We interpret that to mean specifically for worship though so there is no calling to cover full time just on that passage alone. I do cover on days my religious life needs a boost -- and also to keep my 6 month old from yanking my hair out at the root.

I head coverings. I sometimes feel sorry that I don't come from a tradition that covers full time, or have those deeply held beliefs. I guess when I reach a point in my life that I can resume daily mass, I'll be covering every day.
May I ask which part of Catholicism you generally partake (Latin rite, etc)? I know some Catholics that cover majority of the time, some services only, and other not at all.

In answer to smeisnotapirate's question: I will nurse anywhere, anytime. But I will leave service only because I'm more comfortable on the big couch in the foyer. I can listen to service from there and since we rent the building from another church, there are people coming and going, but no one has said a word. One church I visited (we were staying with friends) kept trying to get me to move to the nursery...uhm, no thanks (1) there were a ton of women in children in there (2) I could also hear their services in the foyer (3) I came to hear the services, not the women gossiping, which is what they were doing when I went to change a diaper and (4) they all gave me the oddball looks because I was covered, so I didn't want to add to their fodder.

Orthodox Mama
#85 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Liquesce, I thought of you yesterday! I got out an old book of knitting patterns, and saw one that looked like hijab - full hair coverage, too! It was sooooooo pretty and fuzzy and warm. Very cute!

#86 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM

Today is the first day I'm spending covered... DH doesn't want me to, so I'm only doing it while he's not home, for now, and (ironically) just doing it at home where no one can see. How rebellious of me. Hey, I could be doing worse things than practicing modesty, right?

Anyway, I like it. Baby steps, right?
#87 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMama View Post
Today is the first day I'm spending covered... DH doesn't want me to, so I'm only doing it while he's not home, for now, and (ironically) just doing it at home where no one can see. How rebellious of me. Hey, I could be doing worse things than practicing modesty, right?

Anyway, I like it. Baby steps, right?
Yep, baby steps is good.

May I ask why your husband would be against?

Orthodox Mama
#88 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Well, he's against it because we've recently moved to a pretty conservative neighborhood and he's afraid of us standing out. Our last name is already often commented on, not always in a positive light. He doesn't want us to physically stand out as well. Plus he has no religious background of covering women and doesn't see why I would want to. He is supportive of my beliefs and has no objections to me raising our kids in my faith but that pretty much stops at the covering thing because it makes us stand out.
#89 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMama View Post
Well, he's against it because we've recently moved to a pretty conservative neighborhood and he's afraid of us standing out. Our last name is already often commented on, not always in a positive light. He doesn't want us to physically stand out as well. Plus he has no religious background of covering women and doesn't see why I would want to. He is supportive of my beliefs and has no objections to me raising our kids in my faith but that pretty much stops at the covering thing because it makes us stand out.
That must be tough.

How are you covering? I can totally agree that in today's day and age, the way you cover may make you stand out. There are coverings that scream a certain religion, like the Old Order kapps or Muslim hijab. Maybe you can find a way to cover without your DH feeling like you'd stand out. Bandanas? Tams? Cute scarves/headbands?

#90 of 1083 Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM

yes, there are many ways you can cover that look more stylish and soon people just see it as part of you.

Are you and hubby different faiths?

Orthodox Mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page