"Cover"-ed Girls! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1083 Old 11-27-2008, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey veggiemomma,

I have friends who hold that interpretation too. while I don't agree (or i wouldn't cover with cloth) I honor it. and I am happy to see people not just ignore the verses/command all together b/c they find it ncomfortable to adhere too. I'm glad to see that though we interpret it differently, it's still honored! =)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#182 of 1083 Old 11-27-2008, 05:18 AM

This is a little off topic, but I just found the COOLEST modest workout clothes:
http://skirtsports.com/shop/new.cfm

Probably not modest enough for some (and certainly not all of their products are modest) but the Tough Girl outfit is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

pricy, but sweet.

to make this topical: I run with a baseball cap or a visor. I know the visor is kind of cheating, but ... what can I say. Now that it's : winter in Wisconsin : I run with a fleece cap with ear flaps. Very stylish.

Off to find the Modest Mama's tribe :

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#183 of 1083 Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, those skirts are WAY too short for my comfort level. I ordered some more hats on Monday or Tuesday from eBay (I posted the link earlier in the thread) and they arrived yesterday. I didn't really NEED more hats, but I was very happy with the few I'd ordered from her before and realized that I only had 1 that was good for winter (thick cotton so it keeps me warm outside but is cool enough to keep on all day inside) and purple doesn't match EVERYTHING. So I ordered one in black (and one in a black/white print since I couldn't decide which black hat to get) plus a wool beret in case I wanted something warmer (and I'm glad I only got one, as I think the cotton ones are more flattering on me- the wool is navy which matches EVERYTHING). Half the hats I bought a month or so ago are too cool to wear outside right now.

I was surprised when they arrived yesterday- when I ordered them in September it took a week from the time I placed my order until she even processed it. I remember being dissapointed that I didn't have them in time for Rosh Hashonna. I suspect the seller is an Orthodox Jew and had already closed shop for the holiday when I placed my order. It makes me feel even better about buying from her and recomending her to friends.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#184 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 AM

Hmm. Those skirts are pretty cool. I dunno if I'd be comfortable wearing them. They're a nice idea though!

Had one of my best girlfriends trim my hair tonight just to even it out. Had a hard time tying my covering back on afterwards for some reason. Probably just a case of me being over tired.

Was going to do some more pre-christmas baking tonight but I think I'll do dishes instead. Woohoo! super exciting evening tonight, eh?
#185 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I am a headcovering Mennonite. We've been going to a Mennonite church for about a year and a half and I started covering with a bandana about six months in. What's funny is that I'm one of two people in our church who cover.
Me too! I cover because honestly, it looks neater, it seems modest, it reminds the world that I am married, it reminds me not to be vain, I am trying to remember to be in prayer all the time, and because I don't want to get at all involved in hair dying, perming, etc. So it is economical and frugal.

Unfortunately I only use a bandana or one Snood I have. I want more of a Tam, perhaps made of hemp. Also I want beautiful scarves, but I don't know where to look.

DH really wants me to have my hair out sometimes, but I have locks, so for his company party I may buy a Yaffa wig. Fun! There is a book on worldwide head coverings that I am longing to get!
#186 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
plus a wool beret in case I wanted something warmer (and I'm glad I only got one, as I think the cotton ones are more flattering on me- the wool is navy which matches EVERYTHING)
I look positively ridiculous in a beret. How do you wear yours? Sad since Kohls recently had wool berets on clearance for $4.

And re: the skirt length, you're right, they are short! I would wear it over running pants/tights

#187 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 AM

oh, I have a CUTE berret from the thrift store...can't wear it, looks ridiculous, but can't resist owning such a pretty piece of knitting LOL!

Orthodox Mama
#188 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 08:58 PM

I have a navy blue berret/tam that I crocheted. I love them!
Would love to buy one, though!
I love snoods but the trouble I have with them is that I wear a lot of hooded sweat shirts and the hood ends up bumping the bottom of the snoods around and it ends up slipping off my head (no matter how many bobbypins I strategically place). Anyone else have this problem?
#189 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Hi ladies! happy Thanksgiving!

Does anyone know how to sew covers like the "meg" style snood at garlands of grace?
I'm completely sewing-challenged, but if there is even a rough pattern or example somewhere I would love to give it a whirl. My friend has some awesome cotton prints I'd love to make into a cover.

Oh and not to further diverge on the skirt discussion, but I got some awesome floor length denim skirts from Style J. I would highly recommend them if anyone is looking (cause I always have trouble finding well-fitting clothes locally) -wearable, walkable, super-duper fit

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#190 of 1083 Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Yes, those are the kinds of cloth snoods I make and wear. It's a simple pattern to draft. PM me and I would be happy to draft one and write up directions to send you

Orthodox Mama
#191 of 1083 Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I generally don't wear hoods- except a nice, loose one on my raincoat that I gently place over my hat to keep my hat dry. The only hood I use regularly is on my robe- which I use in place of another headcovering, not in addition to. This way I'm modest even if I'm too lazy to get properly dressed.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#192 of 1083 Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 PM

I cover but it's not for religious reasons - I've lost my hair due to alopecia areata and have given up on annoying wigs. I have been trying to wear different scarves and mostly wear tichel scarves or something similar in a Jerusalem twist (I think it's called that), often over top of a pretty beaded hijab sleeve. As I've been exploring different cloth hair coverings in order to cover my own bare head, I've learnt a bit about 'covering' and appreciate the many reasons behind it.

I was wondering if you could recommend online vendors that you've used for your coverings. I've been eyeballing these two sites but apprehensive because neither site gives a physical contact number. It's a shame. I emailed almuhajabaelaniqa.com about their beautiful scarves and after almost 2 weeks, they have not replied.

If anyone could vouch for the authenticity of these sites or recommend others, I'd appreciate it. Merci.

http://www.almuhajabaelaniqa.com/new-hijabicaps.html

http://www.modestworld.com/
#193 of 1083 Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling_deedee View Post
I have a navy blue berret/tam that I crocheted. I love them!
Would love to buy one, though!
I love snoods but the trouble I have with them is that I wear a lot of hooded sweat shirts and the hood ends up bumping the bottom of the snoods around and it ends up slipping off my head (no matter how many bobbypins I strategically place). Anyone else have this problem?

I have this problem too. I wear wigs and scarves and the hoods - unless I gracefully and carefully move the hood - it will bump what is on my head. I also find the same issue with turtleneck sweaters and my hooded ski jacket. Perhaps raising the snood higher off your neckline - a smaller snood, I guess?
#194 of 1083 Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
If anyone could vouch for the authenticity of these sites or recommend others, I'd appreciate it. Merci.
I've had something from al-Muhajaba el-Aniqa before ... maybe about a year ago, so it's not the most up-to-date experience. For just scarves their prices are a little higher than comparable, but I wasn't unhappy overall. If you're having trouble getting in touch with the proprietress you might try contacting her through her blog ... online hijab sellers have a bad habit of disappearing without a trace, but around the two eids it's usually just more a question of distraction.

They're British, but Islam Orient, The Hijab Shop, Scarf World, and Hijab World work out at least better than I expected with shipping and the exchange rate (well, the latter two can get pricey sometimes), and have pretty stellar reputations. (I've had my eye on this for, um, roughly forever, but there is NO way I can justify the cost. They do have options across price ranges though.)

I feel like I recommend them for everything clothing related, but several of my favorite scarves come from Shukr. Check their main page ... there's a coupon code for free shipping at the moment.

I've never been a big fan of the look of their prints, but the solid colored scarves and accessories I've had from http://www.almuhajabat.com/ have been good quality, and I've had great customer service from them.

I have a shawl from this ebay store (this one ... sooo much nicer/richer than shown). Also here and here, for less winter-only things.

Oh, and if you like the sleeve-type underscarves, Veiled by Design has every color under the sun available. Although not the pure cotton that one would gather from her product descriptions.
#195 of 1083 Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM

OH, Liquesce, THANK YOU! THANK YOU - these links and comments are incredibly helpful. I'm thrilled. :
#196 of 1083 Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
OH, Liquesce, THANK YOU! THANK YOU - these links and comments are incredibly helpful. I'm thrilled. :
Oh, I'm so glad, and you're welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for!
#197 of 1083 Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM

Sooo ... anyone want to help me figure out what to wear to my own wedding in, um, roughly two weeks? It's a very low-key, casual kind of affair ... second wedding, a simple civil ceremony followed by a prayer at the mosque, no fuss, no big reception, and absolutely no gowns, so I've been planning on just pulling a couple of nice things out of my regular wardrobe ... but now I'm not so sure. I mean, I don't want to look like it's only about as important to me as going out for a cup of coffee, kwim? But dresses are a hard fit on me (a size smaller on top than bottom, so dresses often are either snug at the hip or baggy at my shoulders and chest), so a skirt suit or skirt and blouse are pretty much it ... I've been thinking about making a plain, dressy skirt and blouse "fancy" with a somewhat more opulent headcover, but am kind of stuck for ideas.
#198 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 01:17 AM

What's your idea of opulent?

You can't do lace unless you have an under scarf, right? My first thought is a mantilla type veil, possibly beaded but I don't know how well that would translate into a hijab.

Mazal tov on the wedding! ::

what is the traditional congratulatory greeting/wish for Muslims?

#199 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Sooo ... anyone want to help me figure out what to wear to my own wedding in, um, roughly two weeks? It's a very low-key, casual kind of affair ... second wedding, a simple civil ceremony followed by a prayer at the mosque, no fuss, no big reception, and absolutely no gowns, so I've been planning on just pulling a couple of nice things out of my regular wardrobe ... but now I'm not so sure. I mean, I don't want to look like it's only about as important to me as going out for a cup of coffee, kwim? But dresses are a hard fit on me (a size smaller on top than bottom, so dresses often are either snug at the hip or baggy at my shoulders and chest), so a skirt suit or skirt and blouse are pretty much it ... I've been thinking about making a plain, dressy skirt and blouse "fancy" with a somewhat more opulent headcover, but am kind of stuck for ideas.

I love weddings.

I like the idea of a skirt suit, maybe in a soft color (can you do off-white or pastels?) with a lacey, complementary soft-colored scarf. Got anything like that? Need someone to wrangle the little ones while you shop/try on?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#200 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

I was just looking at wedding gowns, and holy crap is this one gorgeous! I love that they're not white.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#201 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Those are beautiful!

Orthodox Mama
#202 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Since I am not entirely sure of the requirements for your clothes, I can't really give any advice (sorry!)

But congrats none the less!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#203 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Okay I too don't know what your attire requirements are so I'm not sure if these suggestions will fit... I second the idea of a skirt/blouse combo if you don't like dresses. Maybe a nice full skirt with a silk blouse? A cream or other soft color would be pretty. My cousin-in-law wore a gold gown for her wedding and it was actually rather beautiful too... it was a soft gold color. That maybe a thought too if you want something a little more dressy. I like the idea of the mantilla or other lace veils but if you can't have lace what about a silk veil?

Here are some silk veils for a decent price. They are white but are dyeable and they have other silk products like scarves, etc. also.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...rves_silk.html

The site also has clothing items that can be dyed too. Be forewarned it is not a modest clothing site and a lot of the clothing isn't modest. There are a few very nice basic pieces though. They are good prices too. I'm hoping to order some things from there soon. I hope this helps you. If you can give us a few details on your clothing requirements we can help some more. I just don't want to offend you by offering something that is against your beliefs.
#204 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Hey all! I don't cover but I have been greatly considering it. As I said on the Modest Mommas tribe I have been considering it not for religious reasons (I am LDS/Mormon) but for personal reasons. I have always been very sensitive about my hair and don't allow others to touch it- only DH. DH's brushing and braiding it nightly is something very personal and intimate between us and more and more we both have been wanting me to sort of make my hair more private. I have stopped wearing it down as much.

I can totally see this...

Quote:
But I know bodily privacy matters to him a lot, and the fact that he may see more of me than other men bolsters that feeling of connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Jews cover at marriage, and for us it's because there are parts of your body that are private and only to be shared with a husband.
...as that is how both DH and I have been feeling.

Quote:
Sooo ... anyone want to help me figure out what to wear to my own wedding in, um, roughly two weeks?
Woah! CONGRATS!!!! : I have been lurking on your blog for some time. Your children are so gorgeous! I am quite a fan of yours and am so glad to see such joy coming your way!! :

Anyway- hello everyone, I have loved this thread, and I hope no one minds my lurking.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#205 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#206 of 1083 Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Lurk away, mags and kidz!

#207 of 1083 Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
What's your idea of opulent?

You can't do lace unless you have an under scarf, right? My first thought is a mantilla type veil, possibly beaded but I don't know how well that would translate into a hijab.

Mazal tov on the wedding! ::

what is the traditional congratulatory greeting/wish for Muslims?
Opulent ... I suppose "elaborate" or "ornate" would be a better word maybe. I have some nice potentially-more-formal silk scarves, chiffons, fabric trims and beads, etc .... but I'm always tying scarves in pretty much just one really basic wrap-around way, so I could definitely use some creative inspiration. I thought about mantillas, but triangular scarves are a little awkward for me. So I thought about just lace ... which led to the realization that pre-made lace scarves that aren't just netting labeled as lace are a hard find. Which led me to thinking about table runners and curtain panels, which was a line of thinking that wasn't going anywhere good so I just dropped it.

Traditional greetings ... um, "mabrook"? Though technically that's just arabic for "congratulations," so the english is all the same anyway. And thanks.

Quote:
I like the idea of a skirt suit, maybe in a soft color (can you do off-white or pastels?) with a lacey, complementary soft-colored scarf. Got anything like that? Need someone to wrangle the little ones while you shop/try on?
Know anywhere that sells full-length-skirted skirt suits that also don't look too "mother of the bride" and that would fit the body of a woman who's still feeling very post-partum fluffy? It occurs to me that's probably not so easy a find.

I have a pretty, deep mauve skirt that I'm thinking would be nice, a pashmina of the same color, georgette scarves of the same color and cream colors, a few yards of a wide cream crocheted lace trim, a yard or so of this embroidered trim, some strings of freshwater pearls ........... it's just a matter of figuring out what to put with what to be pretty without looking like I'm shooting for the hijabi equivalent of Marie Antoinette at a ball.

Oh. And I have these shoes, which for my non-heel wearing self (um, not a religious thing, just a klutz thing) are just perfect.

Quote:
I was just looking at wedding gowns, and holy crap is this one gorgeous! I love that they're not white.
Malaysian women rock for style. If you ever read muslim fashion blogs, so much of the style advice is pulled straight from Malaysian magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
Since I am not entirely sure of the requirements for your clothes, I can't really give any advice (sorry!)

But congrats none the less!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
Okay I too don't know what your attire requirements are so I'm not sure if these suggestions will fit... I second the idea of a skirt/blouse combo if you don't like dresses. Maybe a nice full skirt with a silk blouse? A cream or other soft color would be pretty. ...

Here are some silk veils for a decent price. They are white but are dyeable and they have other silk products like scarves, etc. also.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...rves_silk.html

... I hope this helps you. If you can give us a few details on your clothing requirements we can help some more. I just don't want to offend you by offering something that is against your beliefs.
Thanks for the input. Clothing requirements are just to the ankle / to the wrist / over the neck / and something to cover the hair completely ... but I don't really do restrictions on colors, patterns, materials, etc, and while I don't do form-fitting I also don't demand completely unfitted. I like to think I'm not TOO challenging. I'm also not that easily offended, honest.

Dyed-to-match can be very useful, but my procrastination probably also makes it impractical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Woah! CONGRATS!!!! : I have been lurking on your blog for some time. Your children are so gorgeous! I am quite a fan of yours and am so glad to see such joy coming your way!! :
Thanks! I have lurkers? You shouldn't tell me that, I'll feel all obligated to actually write something more than once per millennium.
#208 of 1083 Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liquesce, I love the idea of mauve and cream. If you need help with triangular scarves, that's what I usually use, so I could give you a quick tutorial. You're the queen of the big, honkin' rectangle, right?

I've actually found really beautiful not mother-of-the-bride-y stuff at Alfred Angelo and at Boscov's. Let me see if I can dig that up online.

#209 of 1083 Old 12-05-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, this from Alfred Angelo. If your hijab covers the collar or you wear a cream dickie under it or something.

.........aaaaaaaaaaaaand Boscov's sucked.

#210 of 1083 Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Ok, this from Alfred Angelo. If your hijab covers the collar or you wear a cream dickie under it or something.

.........aaaaaaaaaaaaand Boscov's sucked.
i LOVE that! :

Liquesce- if you are still looking for lace, Halo-Works.com has some really really nice longer veils/mantillas. Some of them are almost shall length.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page