Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1083 Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Get it?

Covered Girls?

Cover Girl?

I know we have had a couple threads around here, but I thought maybe we can all hang out and share some love and experiences in covering our hair/heads - ladies of all traditions and for all reasons.

My ulterior motive is to really get me into covering all the time. I'm transitioning, and really want to be accountable and feel the love.

Introductions?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#2 of 1083 Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM

Okay, Semis, I'll join you

I'm only partially covered. meaning I don't cover all the time and the types of covers I use vary.

I started out (unmarried) wearing a beaded kippah to services and when I taught Sunday school.

Only in the past year or so have I felt drawn towards observing, at my comfort level, the mitzvot (commandments) of modesty. My wardrobe has changed a bit, mostly in the blouse department, and head covering has naturally followed. I started by wearing hats of the baseball variety around on a daily basis in the summer. To shul (services) I wore different cute conductor style hats.

At Rosh HaShanah services, I arrived dressed in white with a gorgeous tikhel (scarf) from Vietnam tied around my head. That got a whole lot more looks that the hats But/and it's a conservative shul so women are always wearing lace doilies or kippot or hats or headbands. I got what I took as a look of "finally!" from another woman dressed modestly with a son (under 3) with long hair. Her head was not covered.

On Yom Kippur I was in white again, this time with a white tikhel. At break the fast, a few older women came up to me and were just in love with the fact I was wearing a headscarf.

But in my regular life? I'm on the fence. My summer wardrobe is decidedly much more hippy than my fall/winter and I feel decidedly noticeable wearing a headscarf with these outfits.

Plus - how do you like this - I homebrew and make wine/cider at home too, which means, you know, we do a lot of *cough* research at the house, and I felt ODD buying beer supplies while garbed out in modest dress.

Anyway, that was long. THanks for reading. I'll support you Smeis!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#3 of 1083 Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How about funky bandanas when you're buying beer supplies? How about some more "wintry looking" hats (cotton knit/crocheted berets come to mind) to match your winter wardrobe? I have different headcoverings to match different outfits, and the "typical modest woman scarf" is my least typical thing to wear, and usually I only wear that style at home.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 1083 Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM

I am a headcovering Mennonite. We've been going to a Mennonite church for about a year and a half and I started covering with a bandana about six months in. What's funny is that I'm one of two people in our church who cover.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 1083 Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM

Moderately conservative covering muslimah here (which amounts to "yes, I cover all hair, neck, etc; no, I don't make sure my scarves come across my chest or eschew bright, pretty colors and patterns"). Although I guess anyone who has read a lot of the other headcover-related threads already knows that.
#6 of 1083 Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM

I'm just lurking as I try to figure out how seriously I want to take/enact my feelings about head covering. I work in a very professional environment, which is holding me back a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
Plus - how do you like this - I homebrew and make wine/cider at home too, which means, you know, we do a lot of *cough* research at the house, and I felt ODD buying beer supplies while garbed out in modest dress.

Anyway, that was long. THanks for reading. I'll support you Smeis!
This makes me giggle. Believe me, you'd be FAR from the weirdest looking thing to walk through the door of our local homebrew supply shop. They'd probably just think you're a hippy having a bad hair day.
#7 of 1083 Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Hi,

I am a Conservative Mennonite so I wear a headcovering and cape dresses everyday. I converted and have been going to a conservative mennonite church since July of 2007. My dd loves the conversion and she can't wait to come to the age of accountability and be able to cover...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#8 of 1083 Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
I'm just lurking as I try to figure out how seriously I want to take/enact my feelings about head covering. I work in a very professional environment, which is holding me back a lot.
I worked in a bank until DS was born, and I just had to file a paper saying that my headcoverings were for religious purposes (because they were against the dress code). I love the look of a snood with a skirt suit. So classy, and I got lots of compliments.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#9 of 1083 Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 PM

I'm Christian...Anabaptist more specifically. I head cover ALL of the time out fo the house. and some of the time in the house. I wear all sorts fo things but I do make an effort for it to differ from just a wintry hat. (which of course I do wear also) as I wear one for a covering and one for warmth.
my favs are snoods and bandanas that look snood-ish. I never wear the typical Mennonite covering as it's unappealing to me. and i covered BEFOR I became anabaptist... not after

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#10 of 1083 Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Since a couple of people mentioned snoods ... where do you buy them? I like them, but locally I know nowhere that sells them and online when I did look I found mostly overly boho crochet ones, kind of cheap looking ones, and hairnets. :
#11 of 1083 Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Since a couple of people mentioned snoods ... where do you buy them? I like them, but locally I know nowhere that sells them and online when I did look I found mostly overly boho crochet ones, kind of cheap looking ones, and hairnets. :
Well, I'm pretty boho, to tell the truth.

If you look on tsnius websites, you can find ones with fabric on the inside, so ALL your hair is covered. On Ren Faire sites, you can find ones made of velour or velvet - lovely winter ones.

You're looking for opacity, right?

#12 of 1083 Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Well, I'm pretty boho, to tell the truth.

If you look on tsnius websites, you can find ones with fabric on the inside, so ALL your hair is covered. On Ren Faire sites, you can find ones made of velour or velvet - lovely winter ones.

You're looking for opacity, right?
Right. Although my problem with boho isn't so much anti-boho as they would look very, very strange with the rest of my wardrobe. Velvet sounds potentially lovely ... it would never have dawned on me to look at Ren Faire-related sellers.

Now if only I could figure out how to get away with a style like something out of a Vermeer portrait without also looking like I'm going to a costume ball ...
#13 of 1083 Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for covering really long hair? My hair is to my knees and it makes a rather huge ball at the back of my head. I'm a baby coverer so I'm still rather clueless. Thanks a bundle.
Addie

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#14 of 1083 Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Well, I'm not a coverer, but I've looked at some of those snoods, and aren't they almost like a "bag" that you can put your hair in so it's more like loose in there and less like a ball? Then you could have a fairly long bit instead of a ball? One other thought (don't you get headaches? I'm serious--I can't go past mid-back or I get horrible headaches from the weight) could you braid your hair into 1 or maybe 2 braids, then loop them and fasten the loops, so they'd be short enough to cover with a scarf? Braids were always better for heavy hair in my experience.

DD needs bedtime NOW so I have to get off.
#15 of 1083 Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Try some of these sites:

www.coveryourhair.com
www.covermyhair.com
www.tznius.com
www.hatsalamode.com
www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com

Hope that helps!

Truth is, I vary according to situation and comfort. On a 'casual' at home day usually I'm in a tichel (large scarf), with long jeans skirt and long sleeve t-shirt. At work (I teach) I wear a sheitel (wig) and nice clothes -- calf-length skirt, tights, loafers, shirt or sweater. Sometimes if it's nasty out or my wig needs to be washed, I wear a newsboy style cap, one that's very broad with enough room for all my hair, made of velvet or a nice material like that. At shul (synagogue) I wear my nicer wig, and nicer clothes (not suits though, that's not really my style -- more like nice skirt and sweater set). Running, I wear an exerskirt (www.miraclothes.com), long sleeved tshirt, and baseball cap. Around the house cleaning, I wear a snood.

I like variety I guess.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#16 of 1083 Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Nick, that's really cool. I love the variety.

#17 of 1083 Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I was just looking at hers yesterday. I really like the jacquard band snoods.
#18 of 1083 Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was just looking at hers yesterday. I really like the jacquard band snoods.
I just love snoods. They're comfy, don't slip off, and so so elegant. They're also great for warm weather because it keeps your hair and bulky fabric OFF your neck!

#19 of 1083 Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I just love snoods. They're comfy, don't slip off, and so so elegant. They're also great for warm weather because it keeps your hair and bulky fabric OFF your neck!
I think that's where different religions and religious interpretations of "covered" start affecting styles of covering. I've never really thought about why before, but they're almost never seen in my community, I think in large part because so many women (self included) would consider them as cold-weather wear only, requiring of a high turtleneck.
#20 of 1083 Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that's where different religions and religious interpretations of "covered" start affecting styles of covering. I've never really thought about why before, but they're almost never seen in my community, I think in large part because so many women (self included) would consider them as cold-weather wear only, requiring of a high turtleneck.
Ah, true. You have to cover your neck too, right? Ears?

#21 of 1083 Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Ah, true. You have to cover your neck too, right? Ears?
Right ... so hot weather is all about long, loose, very lightweight cottons/linens/silks/rayons.
#22 of 1083 Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM

I actually prefer lightweight headcoverings all year round. I get hot very easily- and since I'm not about to take off a hat when I come inside, I need something light enough to wear inside with central heating. I do have one slightly heavier hat (cotton knit) that's warm enough for outside but cool enough for inside. I'm thinking of ordering a few more in more colors (but I really don't NEED any more hats right now. I just purchased 7 new headcoverings- I got a large check from SSI- back payments from between my application and my approval- and if it's not spent in 9 months it can interfere with my eligability, so now's the time to stock up on expensive clothes that will last me a decade.)

#23 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I actually prefer lightweight headcoverings all year round. I get hot very easily- and since I'm not about to take off a hat when I come inside, I need something light enough to wear inside with central heating.
Generally I agree, but I developed a thing for those big wool/silk blend pashminas a few years back and, well, now that I have them I have to find some time to wear them.
#24 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 AM

OK, but wool and silk are natural fibers and not OVERLY hot the way that, say, polyester fleece can be.

#25 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 AM

Hi I have some questions if anyone would like to answer them...
Are most of the coverings in the links made for Christian or Jewish women? Is there a difference ?
I can visually see the difference here between how most Muslim women cover and most Christians and Jews but is this an Americanized way of covering or would this be typical of other Mennonite or Christian or Jewish women in other countries?
I lived in a very diverse student community for years and got to see the differences in covering from around the world and surprisingly in the personal tastes of women from around the world. I am fascinated by it.
I hope I am not hijacking this thread, if I am feel free to ignore me
thanks
#26 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 AM

I can't speak for Christians, but the traditional Jewish idea is to cover all of the hair, not just "have something covering the head." Of course, there are Jewish women in various stages of observance- I've seen Jewish women with baseball caps and a ponytail sticking out the back, Jewish women wearing hats with long hair sticking out from underneath (sometimes it's a wig, sometimes her own hair) or women simply wearing wigs (many Orthodox Jewish women wear wigs as these cover every stitch of her own hair, and many of these women also wear scarves,hats, and/or snoods at other times.)

I personally don't own a wig but do cover as much hair as possible- a little does seem to escape at the sides and look messy but I don't worry about that. I won't wear a ponytail sticking out- that's too much hair showing for me.

#27 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 AM

Ah. Different definition of what constitutes lightweight then. For me it's more like tissue linen, cotton voile, etc -- materials specifically intended for hot weather wear.
#28 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I can't speak for Christians, but the traditional Jewish idea is to cover all of the hair, not just "have something covering the head." Of course, there are Jewish women in various stages of observance- I've seen Jewish women with baseball caps and a ponytail sticking out the back, Jewish women wearing hats with long hair sticking out from underneath (sometimes it's a wig, sometimes her own hair) or women simply wearing wigs (many Orthodox Jewish women wear wigs as these cover every stitch of her own hair, and many of these women also wear scarves,hats, and/or snoods at other times.)

I personally don't own a wig but do cover as much hair as possible- a little does seem to escape at the sides and look messy but I don't worry about that. I won't wear a ponytail sticking out- that's too much hair showing for me.

I cover most fo my hair. some in the front sticks out. but all of the length and flow of it is covered. the only part showing is pulled back straight and certainly not "attractive" in the way long flowy hair would be.
honestly is bother me that most christians don't cover more hair. in fact I know a few people who wear a "doily" that is probably the size of my palm over their hair. this kinda confuses me honestly... I mean I guess the "head" has a covering on top of it... but I don't *think* this is what the command had in mind personally. of course, this is left up to many interpretations... I doubt we'd all agree on everything even if we wanted to.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#29 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
honestly is bother me that most christians don't cover more hair. in fact I know a few people who wear a "doily" that is probably the size of my palm over their hair. this kinda confuses me honestly... I mean I guess the "head" has a covering on top of it... but I don't *think* this is what the command had in mind personally.
What does the Bible say with regard to headcoverings?
#30 of 1083 Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 PM

in the NT it's 1 Corinthians 11: 1-16 where it mentions it most. other than that it's the VARIOUS OT commands (which again some people view as not necessary with the new covenant- I disagree with that very much.... but that is beside the point.)

Again, in the NT it doesn't specifically mention how much hair to cover. infact there is much debate over if it means the hair is the covering. and i honestly respect that idea if that is whatone truly thinks. there is also a belief that it is only for times of public prayer and worship - again I can see this interpretation. My confusion mostly lies with people who think that the head should be covered at all times, but them use a tiny little bow like covering. that one I've never "gotten".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page