{November} Pagan Families Circle! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to November!

Blessed be!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#2 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Good Morning
I hope you all had a wonderful Samhain.

DOK- are you alright? Sorry you had to be in the hosp, that sucks

I cannot believe it's November already. Where has '08 gone???
#3 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Happy New Year! :

i love the day after Samhain just as much as i love Samhain.

last night was great. the kids had fun, i had fun. DH had a little too much to drink. lol. no stroller incidents though. the kids were even calling it Samhain! instead of Halloween.

tonight is the local Samhain Gathering. i really want to go but i have never been there before so i am nervous. i dont do real well in crowds. i get panicky. i want to take my son and daughter. and i wanted a freind to go with me. she never called me back. DH wouldnt go even if he could. sigh......

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#4 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 PM

dok~ poopers! i so so sorry, hon. huge hugs.

love the idea of scheduling apts.

had a mellow eve.... the highlight was when a pre-teen goth bride ooooh'ed over my "peace sign" pumpkin-- which was on the altar, which was visile from the door. ds fell asleep on my lap-- WHILE kids were coming to he door! and-- i made the most splendid pumpkin lasagna! yummmy. also did a reading, which was nice... very mellow eve.

now that it's nov, i'm allowing myself to gofull steam ahead with holiday crafing! ok.... so, i need some energy first..... off to try and create some sort of pumpkin coffee cake with the leftover pumpkin......

happy november!!!!!! next to october, i think it's my fave.
:
#5 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Aww LionessMom - Wished I lived near you - I would go with you!

I too will be baking with all the left over pumpkin - DS has taken a great interrest in all the measuring so most baking is now done on the kitchen floor...its a good thing I keep a clean kitchen floor hehe

Talk about brr though...brr brr brr! I love everything about this time of the year except for the temperature! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#6 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 02:48 PM

I can't believe it's November!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#7 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 02:53 PM

See, my brain is so fuzzy, I posted in the October thread. Brilliant, I tell ya.

I tried to go to a book club meeting this morning but couldn't stay long. Just can't stand up for too long.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#8 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Merry Meet, Sisters!

I spent the morning outside, putting my main garden area to sleep. The cornstalks are pulled, the plants and 'leftover' veggies were all worked into the ground, stakes and cages pulled and and stacked for the winter...

I came in, took a nice hot shower and now... I think I am goign to take a nap!

good witch
#9 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Sounds good, it is time for my garden to go to sleep too. Just need to pull up the last carrots and the old okra stalks and put my stakes away. The weather here is wonderful so I am inspired to get it all done. This morning my little one and I went out to a piece of property that is for sale (my dream land) and did a attraction charm to direct it my way. So here is hoping I can build my dream home in 2009. Have a wonderful November all.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#10 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Heyla all! Hope everyone had fun (and that our sickie mamas feel better soon... we learned AFTER the preschool party where there was much sharing of plates/cups/bobbing apples that two of the children there were contagious for coxsackie virus. I was furious. And now I have to wait and see if we get sick. Ugh).

Anyway, after the preschool party we went to campus but everything went wonky (DH had to show some people the lab, we were late, etc) but ended up happy... we walked around campus and got pictures, then went to a friend's house and hit a few streets. Then to my parents (ugh icky icky ugh ). Then home to light the pumpkins we carved the day before. Over all, pretty good.

And pictures are here.

I made a set of prayer beads after the girls were out, but it disappeared about 5 minutes after I put it on! Seriously. I finished it, put it on, showed it to dh, and sat down on the couch to nurse dd2 (who rode her sugar high till almost 1am). When I stood up after nursing I wasn't wearing the bracelet! We pulled up the rug, moved the couch, checked under the cushions, etc. And I checked again today... nothing.

So I made a new set and I think it "works" better. In both strands I used beads I already had... a strand of bone beads dh made for me when we were dating. I never wear them because he strung them on string and I was afraid of it breaking (and man is he teasing me about losing the first set!). Anyway, I made a patterns of black glass beads and white bone beads and it looked neat. But after it was gone I had to use what I had left... a few bone beads from the original strand and colored glass beads. And when it was done it... well. It made me realize that a lot of the stress I feel comes from a sort of black and white take on things (not things in general, just things dealing with me). Either I'm good, or I'm not. Either the house is perfect, or it's not. Either I'm making everyone happy, or I'm not. And I get upset and judge myself on a really harsh black/white scale.

This new set of prayer beads is more open... there are the white bone beads, but the glass beads are smoke grey, leaf green, clear, blue, purple/black (looks black but hold it up and it's a deep purple), and a neat bead that is red on one end and sort of orange on the other... the color kind of drifts across the bead. And since I didn't have the hematite spacers or the moon bead I'd used in the first set I used a single hematite spacer, a smooth oval tiger eye bead, and a tiny green shell bead left over from my Lughnasadh strand to balance the strand against the clasp.

So a sort of reminder of the strength of the past (bone, gifted with love) but with options and an open/random pattern.

Not sure yet but it's a good meditation point. And no, the other strand hasn't reappeared. And this strand fell off two as I bathed the girls. Hmmmmm... maybe a practical call to mindfullness?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
hey y'all-- i have to go back and catch up, but this is hilarious and i had to share!

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...lloween_become
Omg...

I watched it twice and laughed so hard both times. :

#12 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM

mercyn- oat biscuits as a base for hearty stews... put a biscuit in the bowl, ladle stew into the bowl and over the biscuit. As you eat the stew you can kind of scoop or fork up biscuit as well as the meat/veggie.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
hey y'all-- i have to go back and catch up, but this is hilarious and i had to share!

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...lloween_become
Loved it!! OMG, "Because someone complained about the howling!"

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#14 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

*grrr* I need to unravel my scarf and start again, grrr. Oh well, I am enjoying it and just need to keep trying.

Erin pumpkin eating
Gillian the Pirate
Bella the Snow Princesshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/christo...7608467404725/
Erin the Fall Leaf Fairy

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#15 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Brendon- cute pics!!

#16 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 PM

Subbing early this month in hopes of keeping up.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#17 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 PM

Hey all. I cannot believe its November already, I am so not looking forward to these next two months. Shopping for DH and DSS is hard, I hate not having my family with me for the holidays.

On Monday I am going to call and try and find a different counselor. I am just not comfortable continuing with the one I was just sent to. Hopefully the next one won't make me as uncomfortable.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#18 of 840 Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

DOK- Thanks! How are you feeling? Get better dear!

I need a menu for Erin's dedication. SOmething to feed 25-30 people, simple. Got any ideas?

#19 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 AM

I just had to come over here and vent a moment after posting on a thread in Parenting about why people do the all out scary gore fest houses and frighten small children. Astounding the number of people who INSIST that halloween, despite having hanging skeletons dripping blood decorating their lawns "are not celebrating a holiday in any way associated with death because they themselves are in no way scared of death, they're just having fun with decorations and costumes, uh huh, yeah, yeah, no fear of death here, nosirree bob!"

I don't know why I even started. I just think that society-wide, not on an individual basis, folks who overdecorate with the gory stuff are really terrified of death and this is the society's way of coping with it and meeting it head on. And when you're not as a society so terrified of it any more, when you can talk about it or address the fear in other ways, you don't have ginormous ax-murderer tableaux in front yards anymore.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#20 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 AM

Anyway... we had a lovely Halloween here, DD and I as butterflies, DS as a caterpillar, and DH as a "butterfly scientist" per DDs mandate. Did a little trick or treating around local businesses, went to a festival in the park with some friends, had dinner with friends while the girls carved a pumpkin. After everyone else was abed, I did a little meditation.

I picked a couple things from my grandmother's cookbook to make for a Samhain dumb (meaning silent!) supper tomorrow with my coven. Candied pecans I think.

I want to do some more meditation around DS, but I've been a little spooked about doing it. Two years ago on Samhain, I invited into circle two babies from my extended family, one who died young of SIDS (cousin) and one who my mother miscarried. They were soooo happy to be there, crawled around, toddled around. They kept showing up in my meditations for weeks after that. They asked me to be their mother. I said yes, but only 1 at a time (no twins) and only if they wanted to live long, full, healthy lives this time.

In January, I conceived DS. I believe him to be the spirit of the miscarried baby. He was also suspected to be twins at one point and I meditated all weekend talking to them, saying "I am not willing to be the mother of twins right now. That's not what I agreed to."

In October last year, DS was born in a beautiful home birth. 9 days later, he spiked a fever and wouldn't nurse. I ended up taking him to the ER, where they did a spinal tap, catheter, IV, all manner of difficult medical interventions. In the end, it was a virus, tylenol brought his fever down and he would nurse great when the fever was down. I came down with PPD and/or PTSD from the experience and was treated for that earlier this year. I missed Samhain last year because DS was just out of the hospital and I could NOT subject him to Samhain energy.

I keep kicking a couple of things around in my head related to the hospital stay... the whole time it felt to me like a nightmare from someone else's life, like I was thrust into something I couldn't control, stop, mitigate, or affect in any way really. I wonder if he as a spirit needed to go through it all, carried over from a previous life. I also have been ANGRY at the goddess I work with most often for being so utterly unhelpful during the hospital stay. I have been growing closer to Mary, despite never having a connection with her before, she was such a non-figure in the Christianity I grew up in. But it was a Catholic hospital, so my coven leader said "Well, when in Mary's house, worship Mary as a face of the supreme Goddess." I've continued to feel close to Mary this past year, and I really want some Mother Goddess energy going forward as well.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#21 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Namaste ladies...

I'm just checking in with a brief update. I'm 35 weeks. About a week and a half ago I spent 9 days in the hospital, mostly to get some rest and to treat a bladder infection.
My OB told me yesterday that inducing VABC is very difficult. Cervidil, which is most commonly used to induce, is contraindicated for VBAC. It causes the scar to tear, resulting in a ruptured uterus.
So I'm scheculed for a c/s November 19th, but my OB is trying to get me in for the 12th. I'm coming to terms with it.
So prior to yesterday we were planning on my hubby getting a vasectomy. Tubal ligation didn't really occur to us since we were planning a vaginal birth, but now.... I'm looking into it. I'm trying to find the pros and cons, since they be in there anyway it won't require a seperate surgery.

On another note... this is my last pregnancy. I am 100% certain of that. We'll have 4 beautiful children and our family will be complete. So I'm going to spend the next few days looking into donating my eggs. I have an aunt who couldn't concieve on her own and I've always felt so sad for her. I'm 31 so if I'm going to do this I've only got a couple of years left to do it. I have no idea where to start or whats involved. I guess contacting a fertility clinic would be a good start.

I hope everyone had a great Samhain!!! I had a very bizarre dream last night that my uncle died and I was with my aunt shopping for a dress. My uncle kept staying with me, talking to me, guiding my aunt as to what dresses he liked and things he never said to her. It was a bit upsetting.

I so look forward to the year ahead! It feels like a fresh start, a new beginning. I anxiously await the day I can be an active part of my beloved group of pagan friends again
#22 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 AM

oh my goodness...I almost forgot it was new thread time! I can't believe we are only a day in & on page 2 already. LOL. Its going to be a talkative month, huh?

Well, we had a great Samhain, but didn't do a formal ritual. I really need to start adding those into my calander. We had lots of fun and ended up trick or treating at our friends house and in our neighborhood. I just finished adding a few more blogs about our monthly halloween events.

This next month I'm going to try to take a bit slower. DH is still looking for a new job and we have to apply for AID in the morning. I don't know how this is going to work! On top of it all, DS1 turns 4 at the end of the month! Argh! Where did the time go? I can't believe it! And of course he's been telling me that he wants this party to be at Chuck E Cheeses since after his 3rd b-day party. So its not very AP, but thats what he wants so we are trying to find a way to do that, even if just family and invite friends to a park to play after!...something...I have no idea!

Yay for November!

Oh and I looked at all the pics posted. SOOOOOO CUTE! hope you don't mind that I added you as friends to my flickr list!

change of topic:
our family practices the idea that the time between samhain and yule is a rest period of sorts...a time without time...and we try to stay away from "magick" work such as spells and the like. Being mostly an eclectic and kitchen sort of witchy...I still work in my garden and do my kitcheny stuff! Does anyone else do this?

We also celebrate our "thanksgiving" in September for Mabon...so the American Traditional Thanksgiving we celebrate with our non-pagan family as a bonus. How do you and your family incorperate this "extra" holiday? Those of you from other Countries...do you have similar situations with any traditional sabbats if you honor them?

there...two topics to start off November....hope that is okay iwth everyone!
#23 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 AM

Good Morning!

Yesterday was our (me and dh's) 22nd anniversary. I worked in the garden and he watched the msu/wisconsin game. : Isn't that roamantic?

yesterday afternoon, I spent some time online, looking for a pagan knitting group in my area... all of the knitter's I have found thus far just haven't been for me... so, anyhoo...

I was using 'google maps' trying to find a certain location and dh looked over my shoulder and good-naturedly asked, "and who are you googling?" and I replied I was looking for a pagan church in our area. he was quiet for a moment and then asked with great caution, "...now, what is a pagan?"

*sigh*

good witch
#24 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Sage- Being on hospital bed rest is no fun (although I looked forward to having carrot cake almost every day. heh heh). I understand your concerns about the c-section. Pm me if you want to chat.

Motherearthdancer- I don't celebrate american Thanksgiving. I try to avoid going to gatherings for it. I may make some autumn foods (vegetarian) but it's not fun to cook when I'm the only one who will eat it.

Simplespirit- Happy Anniversary! Wow, 22 yrs!

#25 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

SimpleSpirit- Happy Anniversary!

Sage- I am so happy that your little boy will be joining you on the outside!

MotherEarthDance- You had a busy month! I looked through your pics- so much fun autumnal stuff!

Dh brought me coffee and croissant- yummy! Better get off the computer

#26 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Hugs Sage... good to hear from you, even if the news isn't the best it could be. I have a couple really good "best case c/s" websites if you want to PM me. After dd1's surprise c/s I spent a loooong time planning a back up c/s that wouldn't send me for a tailspin the way dd1's did.

EviesMom- hugs to you too. What a difficult experience! I'm glad the energy this year is a bit more balanced. I had PPD and mild PTSD after dd1's c/s long labor/surprise c/s and I can't imagine how poorly I would have reacted if there had been any added complication. I'm so glad everything came out ok, but I bet this will be something you'll process for a long time. Growing up we did a lot of rosary and Marian prayer. As a pagan I altered the traditional catholic rosary to be "only" Marian. PM me if you want me to send you the altered prayers/meditations. Or if people are interested I can share them in the thread.

Simple- congrats!

Bella- hang in there, I think it's a good idea to find a different therapist. I can see what this one was trying to do, but I don't think I'd have been comfortable either and if you're not comfortable then what's the point? Hopefully the next one will be a better fit! (the therapist I'm seeing now actually "requires" three sessions before agreeing to continue the relationship just so there is a no blame/no stress "this isn't working" card that can be played by either person. I liked that she was up front with the fact that it is a relationship and just like anything, some people aren't going to mesh. Which my horrible counselor never acknowledged... it was her way or the highway so to speak). Anyway, big hugs, hang in there, and I hope a support group moves close enough for you to attend... I know my SIL found a lot of help in her deployed-spouse support group, and I found the online group for my brother's unit a big help too. Just seeing the photos and things made a difference.

I know I'm forgetting something/someone but gotta run... even with the "bonus hour" today we're late for church!

#27 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplespirit View Post
Good Morning!

Yesterday was our (me and dh's) 22nd anniversary. I worked in the garden and he watched the msu/wisconsin game. : Isn't that roamantic?
yesterday was DH and I's 5th Anniversary. Happy Anniversary to us both!
I love having my anniversary on nov 1. it feels like a perfect time. He even remembered this year. of course i wrote it in big letters on the calendar! lol.

we actually met at a halloween party and i took him home. ;wink.

we didnt do anything either except watch tv and go to bed exhausted. We do have 4 kids and they have been a handful b/c i let them eat a lot of candy after dinner.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#28 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 03:07 PM

LionessMom- Happy Anniversary!

#29 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Hope I can jump in, I am new on this Path and have been doing a lot of reading, thinking on Paganism. I woke up on Saturday morning after having spent a fantastic evening with some friends who were celebrating Samhain and woke up really feeling like it was a new year/beginning. I have never felt that way before and through all the reading I have realised this is what I have been looking for. I'm really excited about finding something I feel so good about.
Bit rambly, but I'm cooking dinner..

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#30 of 840 Old 11-02-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa72 View Post
I'm really excited about finding something I feel so good about.
:

Welcome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page