November Catholic Mamas Together - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
First ... 4  5  6
Spirituality > November Catholic Mamas Together
DiannaK's Avatar DiannaK 01:47 AM 11-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
Did what I say sound callous? I hope not...
And glad you agree!
not at all ... you know it's hard to tell some times on line!

DiannaK's Avatar DiannaK 01:50 AM 11-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
here's a new picture of her sleeping http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ra8daysold.jpg
oooh! What a beautiful family!!
I cannot believe how sweet and tiny .. and it really is true that time flies by. Enjoy!!
kdabbler's Avatar kdabbler 01:02 PM 11-22-2008
Congratulations Charbeau!:
Welcome Rachel.:

Anybody have Thanksgiving Day grace suggestions? Its funny when its time for us to say grace on Thanksgiving Day, you can practically hear crickets when its time. Everyone views it as a HUGE responsibility. I thought maybe I'll take the initiative this year. What do you say? And what do you say before regular meals?
goodygumdrops's Avatar goodygumdrops 11:38 PM 11-22-2008
Congrads Charbeau... I was supposed to do that same ceremony at my church but I moved so I have to find another and then jump right in.

I did have my son baptized and my marriage convalidated last Saturday. It was a really beautiful ceremony... my son did great.

I also went to communion for the first time in 20 years. It was really nice because I chose to take my son to the Thursday service and he did so well. There was only about 20 people so it was really intimate.

Welcome Rachel...I've been posting here off and on for a few months.
I have found this thread really supportive.

Teffer - Your little baby is sooo sweet.
BundleFishMama's Avatar BundleFishMama 12:20 AM 11-23-2008
Hi mamas!

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, life is still crazy here (DH is still unemployed, our house back in AZ still hasn't sold so we're still living with my mother, etc. etc.!) and I never seem to get enough time online to catch up. But know that I am praying for all of you and your families and your intentions!!

Still no baby...as Teffer knows from my complaining in our DDC Please pray that she arrives on her own sometime this week - otherwise I will have to be induced Friday or Saturday since my midwife doesn't want me to go too far past my due date because of some thyroid problems I have - and I REALLY do not want to be induced!

Then we have the issue of the baby's baptism - since we don't even have a physical home, we also don't have a spiritual home right now. We had planned to have the baby baptized in the *wonderful* TLM parish we belonged to in AZ, but now that we're back home in the Northeast, that's not possible - and it's been too long since we lived here, we don't have any connections to the parishes around here anymore. We've been going to Mass at my mother's parish, but she's not technically registered there - and anyway they only do the group baptisms in short ceremonies outside the context of the Mass (all of our kids have had private Baptismal Masses, mostly in Latin, and that's pretty important to us). So DH wants to go down to D.C. where we lived before & where he has lots of priest friends, but I'm not sure I'll be up for that so soon after the baby's birth (we are hoping for Dec. 6 for the baptism). So we're looking at various possiblities and we'll figure something out - I just hate waiting more than 2 weeks or so, and then we'll be getting too close to Christmas anyway....

Speaking of which, Teffer, when is your DD's baptism going to be? I love that new photo of her, soooo cute - you and our other DDC-mates are making me even more impatient with all your adorable babies!!

Well, congrats to everyone celebrating convalidations, sacraments and rites, pregnancy news, and everything else!
BundleFishMama's Avatar BundleFishMama 12:23 AM 11-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Anybody have Thanksgiving Day grace suggestions? Its funny when its time for us to say grace on Thanksgiving Day, you can practically hear crickets when its time. Everyone views it as a HUGE responsibility. I thought maybe I'll take the initiative this year. What do you say? And what do you say before regular meals?
We're very boring - whether it's a regular meal or a holiday, we just say the standard, "Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord, Amen." Not very creative, but it works, and the kids can remember it, too
Naturally Mommy's Avatar Naturally Mommy 06:37 PM 11-23-2008
Charbeau, how did it go yesterday? Congratulations!
Naturally Mommy's Avatar Naturally Mommy 06:40 PM 11-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Welcome Rachel.:

Thank you for the welcome!

Before daily meals we do the standard prayer as well. For special events, my husband usually leads the prayer (b/c he is awesome at it). Kudos to you for stepping up and doing that! I am way too chicken! Maybe try looking for some quote from the bible that mentions Thanksgiving. That might be nice. Good luck!
BMG580's Avatar BMG580 06:51 PM 11-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Mommy View Post
Charbeau, how did it go yesterday? Congratulations!
It was strange. All day I felt panicky and just wanted to skip it. I kept thinking to myself, "what am I doing?" and "do I really want to take this first official step?" and "Catholicism is nothing like what you wanted when you started studying it so you have just gotten swept up and run away with a bad idea". You know, HUGE doubts.

And then my daughter fell and got hurt pretty badly about an hour before I was supposed to leave so it was decided that my husband and children were going to stay home because she wasn't in any shape to go. And I REALLY wanted to just back out and stay home with her because she was pretty miserable.

But I made myself go and I was so happy the entire time. I have no idea why I got all worked up and second guessed myself. I really think daily Mass is going to be important for me as I continue on this journey - I always know that the path I am on is absolutely right when I am inside the Church, I can just feel it deep in my bones. I always feels so alive in church, and so emotional too. For the first time I actually had to sit front and center during Mass instead of hiding out in the side pews and it was just beautiful being able to really see the Mass performed. My stand in sponsor was there with his wife and kids and it was nice sitting with someone that I know, usually I am there with my kids in a sea of hundreds of people that I don't know. And my stand in sponsor (I sort of think of him as my co-sponsor or in person sponsor since my actual sponsor is in another state!) just entered the Church last year so he is really excited for all of us in RCIA this year.

Anyway, long story but it went well and I am really looking forward to continuing with the process.
my_baby_love's Avatar my_baby_love 09:19 PM 11-23-2008
Hey, mamas, I know this is kind of off-topic and a little early, but I am looking for some ideas for Advent this year. My DS just turned two, and I feel like he would really enjoy some simple things that we could turn into traditions. He LOVES candles, so we have an Advent wreath and will be doing that every night at dinner. We also have a large Advent calendar with pockets for each day, but I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. Does anyone have any simple but meaningful traditions that my DS will sort of understand? I would love to hear what works for other families! Thanks!
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 09:51 PM 11-23-2008
Traditions and the like are my specialty. Seriously, I collect them in my mind and wish I had the energy to do a quarter of them.

One popular custom is to gather some straw (or you can even cut thin strips of yellow construction paper). Get a shoe box and something to use as a creche. Whenever you catch your little guy being good, being kind, being loving, help him put a straw in the manger. The idea is that by doing acts of kindness, he's making a soft bed for Baby Jesus.

Another idea that we might do this year--get a large piece of dark blue felt. Sew 25 white buttons on randomly. The cut out 24 smallish felt stars and 1 large gold star. The stars have to be large enough that you can cut a slit in them so you can attach them to the buttons. Add a yellow star each day, and then finally on Christmas, add the gold star. You could even add a manger scene or Bethlehem skyline to the bottom of the banner.

We always sing "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" when we light the Advent wreath.

Hope that helps!
jlpumkin's Avatar jlpumkin 10:15 PM 11-23-2008
I just found catholicmom.com which I love... for my LOs I printed the advent chain - though she has a ton more options.

On an aside, I also printed the mass activities for the littles. DS colors as quietly as possible and DD has a worksheet based upon her comprehension of the mass. I was hesitant to use them as I didn't want to be disruptive, but I think it really helps them soak in more.
Rosehip's Avatar Rosehip 12:45 AM 11-24-2008
Hi all! I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread I am Catholic, have 2 little ones. I'm going to be my nephew's Godmother. : The baptism is this coming weekend. Any ideas for gifts? He's 9 months old (yes, it took a while to get to it, but we have), and I'm on a budget (I'm a single student mom).

Thanks!
xekomaya's Avatar xekomaya 01:07 AM 11-24-2008
Charbeau - I totally know that feeling of anxiety, but so glad you ended up going. Congratulations!

Toasty - How about his first rosary? Wyatt's Godmother brought his to the baptism and I have a super cute pic of him waving it at the priest. He was a late baptism too at 4 months.
exquisitebones's Avatar exquisitebones 05:30 AM 11-24-2008
4 mos, 9 mos.. lol.
My son was baptized at 2! lol.

I love all the ideas for advent calendars, I have been trying to think of what to do all week.

kdabbler's Avatar kdabbler 12:31 PM 11-24-2008
Toasty - Dd#2 was baptized at 8 mos here Sometimes there are a whole lot of other factors that make it that way. At least, in my family there were. From dh wanting to baptize her in the Lutheran Church (thus splitting our dds into two churches) up to multiple sets of relatives saying, "Oh, I can't make it that weekend...": It got to the point that I was beginning to form a scheme about whisking dd#2 over to the rectory on her way home from daycare and beg the priest to baptize her!

Whoa, sorry. I went off on a tangent, didn't I? Toasty, both my girls got sweet little gold cross pendants as gifts. We slipped them off their chains and safety-pinned them to their outfits for the day. A simple gold, silver or pewter cross can be very inexpensive.

Off to check out Catholicmom.com
PatienceAndLove's Avatar PatienceAndLove 06:11 PM 11-24-2008
If it makes anyone feel better, DD was 3 1/2.
I had to convince her father to have her baptized.
TefferTWH's Avatar TefferTWH 06:28 PM 11-24-2008
Reading about late baptisms gets me going. We're having a terrible time scheduling Nora's baptism - busy parish and deciding how to handle invites so we can cut the guest list down and keep the party at our house. Hubby's family is 30 people with just the immediate family, and that just won't fit in our house! Then there's all of the conflicts with other Advent celebrations. Just trying to get some of the priest's time is going to be a struggle!
xekomaya's Avatar xekomaya 08:49 PM 11-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
Hubby's family is 30 people with just the immediate family, and that just won't fit in our house!
That was part of it for us. My close family is about 45, DH has a very small family (comparatively) that doesn't like to travel, but I really wanted them to be there as they're NOT Catholic and I thought it might be exclusive.
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 10:10 PM 11-24-2008
I don't know if anyone else will find this funny or not.

The other day, the television was on, and Katie Grace, my 7-year-old, was watching. One of those birth control commercials came on; I don't know which one. I could hear her saying under her breath "What? WHAT?" Then she yells, "MOM!! Get this--some people try NOT to have babies. That is just so mean." I never realized what a foreign concept birth control is to my kids until that point. I guess I'll have to have a talk with them about it some time.
xekomaya's Avatar xekomaya 12:22 AM 11-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I don't know if anyone else will find this funny or not.

The other day, the television was on, and Katie Grace, my 7-year-old, was watching. One of those birth control commercials came on; I don't know which one. I could hear her saying under her breath "What? WHAT?" Then she yells, "MOM!! Get this--some people try NOT to have babies. That is just so mean." I never realized what a foreign concept birth control is to my kids until that point. I guess I'll have to have a talk with them about it some time.
Aww that's really sweet, and very cool. She had the reaction that everyone SHOULD have. That Mirena commercial (not that that is necessarily the one she saw) always weirds me out because it is such a good lie - family is great, and you can have exactly what you want/when you want it. What is that saying about the best lies being 99% truth?
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 12:24 AM 11-25-2008
I just posted this on my facebook, because I thought it was beautiful:
Quote:
Life isn't always about you. Your happiness often has little to do with you actually doing things to make yourself happy.
Sister Mary Martha
TefferTWH's Avatar TefferTWH 02:32 AM 11-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
That was part of it for us. My close family is about 45, DH has a very small family (comparatively) that doesn't like to travel, but I really wanted them to be there as they're NOT Catholic and I thought it might be exclusive.
We are also thinking we could invite all and hope for a snowstorm. Seriously, we live about an hour away and we've never hosted a gathering in the winter. Hubby thinks his family might back off if they have to drive 2 hours in inclement weather, but that wouldn't really affect us if the RSVP and then ditch, especially if we've rented a room at a restaurant to hold them all! They aren't really all that Catholic - I think ya'll will recall my story about the triplet's baptism and the godparent choices to illustrate. First we have to get a date though, grrrrrr.

Annettemarie - my friend has a shirt for your daughter "Birth Control is for Wimps!"
exquisitebones's Avatar exquisitebones 03:04 AM 11-25-2008
anette - that is the cutest thing your girl said.
how funny!
Its good that she thinks that way, she is still pretty young!

sarahsmiles's Avatar sarahsmiles 07:14 PM 11-26-2008
Does anyone make it a practice to attend Mass on Thanksgiving Day (in the US?)

Our parish has 7 am and 10 am Masses tomorrow and I've always wanted to attend, but it's never worked out. time-wise. I know it's not a Holy Day but it seems an appropriate way to celebrate.

Just looking for some reason to make the effort, I guess ...
xekomaya's Avatar xekomaya 09:34 PM 11-26-2008
With Thanksgiving coming tomorrow, I just wanted to say that I'm thankful for you Catholic mommies. I'm also thankful for MDC, and that they allowed me find my internet home and community that is sometimes lacking in real life. I'm a better mommy for this place.

(I'm also really grateful that I can come here and say spanking is hitting and hitting children is wrong and not have people freak out in defense of their wooden spoons)

TefferTWH's Avatar TefferTWH 03:46 PM 11-27-2008
Well said and echoed here xekomaya!

Now for a prayer request: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1004965 Kerri (bundlefishmama)'s baby has turned breech and the doctors are going to try tomorrow to turn her, but the risk of a section is high if they can't move her and get labor going. Please mamas, pray for Kerri and the baby!
goodygumdrops's Avatar goodygumdrops 05:23 PM 11-27-2008
Happy Thanksgiving too.

I am very thankful for being able to come to MDC. I have met so much helpful, caring mamas.

We are finally in Florida now. We got here last Friday night and have been running around looking for a place to live and a car. I think we found a great townhouse and I am hoping to go pick up my new(used) car tomorrow. I haven't been able to make it to mass..I really wanted to go this morning on the way to my aunts and I even printed out directions to a local church before I realized I was going to be bringing food along for dinner and I wouldn't be able to go ;( I think I'm going to try and make it to mass tomorrow morning.

My son is crashed out on my cousins bed and I'm scared to leave him because he might roll off the bed onto their tiled floor so I'm sitting on my laptop. I should join him for a nap

Prayers to you all.
misseks's Avatar misseks 03:43 AM 11-28-2008
Happy Thanksgiving, my American Sisters.

(How does one say United-States-ians without saying American? Some South-Americans might take offense, but that's one for the politics board. )

May your families be blessed with peace and joyful noise this holiday. :
Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 03:27 PM 12-01-2008
I didn't see a December thread so I started one here

Hoping to catch up with everyone now that I'm back.
First ... 4  5  6

Up