If you support WAHM's and small companies this will affect YOU! - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 PM

THIS IS NOT OVER!!! We have to remember that while we breathe a little easier today, Monday the fight continues. Complacency is going to set in, and come next year we could be facing the same problems over again. Consumer groups are rabid about the stay and will be pouring money into making sure the regulations stay extremely strict. They really don't care about small business and will fight. Large retailers have been requiring compliance already, imagine how livid the companies are who already payed for their testing. They see it as wasted money that they can't afford in a sinking economy.

Another key in the release is that the state's Attorney General's are being trusted to follow the stay, but they don't have to. So one of them could go off on some wild toy hunt tomorrow and still cause major problems.

Everyone should get on a listserv or join a group, like http://cpsia-central.ning.com/ or www.handmadetoyalliance.org to make sure they stay on top of what is going on and don't forget or become complacent.

That said, I may go to my independent toy store and buy something, to celebrate!
#393 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
THIS IS NOT OVER!!! We have to remember that while we breathe a little easier today, Monday the fight continues. Complacency is going to set in, and come next year we could be facing the same problems over again. Consumer groups are rabid about the stay and will be pouring money into making sure the regulations stay extremely strict. They really don't care about small business and will fight. Large retailers have been requiring compliance already, imagine how livid the companies are who already payed for their testing. They see it as wasted money that they can't afford in a sinking economy.

Another key in the release is that the state's Attorney General's are being trusted to follow the stay, but they don't have to. So one of them could go off on some wild toy hunt tomorrow and still cause major problems.

Everyone should get on a listserv or join a group, like http://cpsia-central.ning.com/ or www.handmadetoyalliance.org to make sure they stay on top of what is going on and don't forget or become complacent.

That said, I may go to my independent toy store and buy something, to celebrate!
I'll be keeping on top of this until the end. We won't go down without a fight!!

#394 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
OK, seriously. 2 people is not a commission. It's a date. Why are two people running the whole CPSC?!?
Isn't that incredible?!?! Something that is soooooo imporant, that is so far-reaching, and they have two people.
#395 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not just does it seem like a huge job for two people, but where's the oversight? How do two people keep themselves honest and above reproach? Where are the checks and balances?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#396 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Not just does it seem like a huge job for two people, but where's the oversight? How do two people keep themselves honest and above reproach? Where are the checks and balances?
What I've heard is that Obama will be appointing people to the now-empty remaining 3 seats, who will then form a majority. I'm optimistic that he will appoint sensible people to this committee.
#397 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Jan - you ae absolutely AMAZING with all of this info!! I want to thank you so much for helping us keep up with this.

THANK YOU : !

#398 of 406 Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 PM

signed up at both.

thanks for the links

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#399 of 406 Old 02-01-2009, 03:57 AM

Whew, good news!

I was getting stressed, not just for my own biz, but especially for my small town library, and the little thrift shops.

Don't worry, I still plan to ester my Senators and Rep. until there is a permanent revision.
#400 of 406 Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM

I am glad to hear about the stay on this ridiculous law but I agree about continuing the fight so I also signed the petition.
Thanks for putting this link up.
#401 of 406 Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM

The attorney Kenneth Ross has written a 3-page summary on the stay:
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/pro...ay_summary.pdf

Jan Hunt

"Change the world: nurture a child."
#402 of 406 Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 AM

Can I post this here? I hope so... The handmade toy alliance email distribution sent this out:

Thank you for your continued support to Save Small Business from the CPSIA. It has been an active week. A stay of enforcement was issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) on Friday, January 30th. Although it has stayed enforcement of many provisions of the law, the CPSC has made it clear that they lack authority to fully correct the CPSIA. Urge Congress to provide the CPSC with guidance that will protect toymakers, thrift resellers, publishers, and clothing manufacturers from the unintended consequences of the CPSIA. A technical amendment, the CPSIA Regulatory Relief Bill, will be introduced on the Senate floor soon. It is important that we gain Senate support for this necessary legislation. Here's what you can do:
Call your Senator (switchboard: 202-224-3121).
Identify yourself as a constituent and ask to speak with the Senator or the staff assistant who follows Commerce issues.
Ask him/her to co-sponsor the CPSIA Regulatory Relief Legislation, and tell them if they have questions about the legislation they can contact Tom Jones in Senator DeMint’s DC office at 202-224-6121. Tom’s email address is [email protected]
Ask them to vote for the CPSIA Regulatory Relief legislation when it comes to the Senate floor, possibly as an amendment to the stimulus package as has been rumored.
Get five friends to do steps 1-4.

We need to show strong support of this amendment in order to get the Senate to pass it. To read the specifics of the amendment, go to:
http://demint.senate.gov/public/inde...2-24b6199424ed

We have also made strides in our intiative at change.org. We are in the final stages of teaming with a non profit agency and going forward with our national campaign to save small businesses. There is a new petition that you can sign and send a letter to Congress. To see the petition, go to: http://www.change.org/ideas/4203/vie...small_business. Our blog posts have also begun. View these at: http://www.change.org/ideas/view/sav...from_the_cpsia .

Thank you again for your support. Our grassroots campaign would never have gotten as far as it has without the support of people like you.

www.handmadetoyalliance.org
#403 of 406 Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 AM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 6, 2009
Release #09-120 CPSC
(This is a press release, so I can share the whole thing without violating the copyright policy)

CPSC Spells Out Enforcement Policy For New Lead Limits In Children's Products Effective February 10

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Starting on February 10, 2009, consumer products intended for children 12 and under cannot have more than 600 parts per million of lead in any accessible part. This new safety requirement is a key component of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) aimed at further reducing children's exposure to lead.

In an effort to provide clear and reasonable guidance to those impacted by this important law, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is announcing its enforcement policy on the lead limits established by the CPSIA.

Manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers should also be aware that CPSC will:

*Not impose penalties against anyone for making, importing, distributing, or selling

**a children's product to the extent that it is made of certain natural materials, such as wood, cotton, wool, or certain metals and alloys which the Commission has recognized rarely, if ever, contain lead;

**an ordinary children's book printed after 1985; or

**dyed or undyed textiles (not including leather, vinyl or PVC) and non-metallic thread and trim used in children's apparel and other fabric products, such as baby blankets.

(The Commission generally will not prosecute someone for making, selling or distributing items in these categories even if it turns out that such an item actually contains more than 600 ppm lead.)
Sellers will not be immune from prosecution if CPSC's Office of Compliance finds that someone had actual knowledge that one of these children's products contained more than 600 ppm lead or continued to make, import, distribute or sell such a product after being put on notice. Agency staff will seek recalls of violative children's products or other corrective actions, where appropriate.

*Issue an interim final rule effective February 10, 2009, which establishes alternative lead limits for certain electronic devices, in order to prevent unnecessary removal of certain children's products from store shelves.

*Accept a manufacturer's determination that a lead-containing part on their product is inaccessible to a child and not subject to the new lead limits, if it is consistent with the Commission's proposed guidance or is based on a reasonable reading of the inaccessibility requirement. Paint and other coatings or electroplating are not considered barriers that make a component inaccessible.

This enforcement policy will remain in effect until superseded by action of the Commission.

CPSC still expects companies to meet their reporting obligation under federal law and immediately tell the Commission if they learn of a children's product that exceeds the new lead limits starting on February 10, 2009. Companies also should know that the CPSIA generally prohibits the export for sale of children's products that exceed the new lead limits.

As announced on January 30, 2009, the Commission approved a one year stay of enforcement for certain testing and certification requirements for manufacturers and importers. Significant to makers of children's products, the 'stay' provides limited relief from the testing and certification for total lead content limits, phthalates limits for certain products and mandatory toy standards. Manufacturers and importers - large and small - of children's products will not need to test or certify to these new requirements, but will still need to meet the lead and phthalates limits, mandatory toy standards and other requirements. Certification based on testing by an accredited laboratory is still required for painted children's products and soon will be required for children's metal jewelry, as well as certain other products for non-lead issues.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#404 of 406 Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 AM

A second press release issued today

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 6, 2009
Release #09-121

CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC Issues Guidance For Complying With Phthalates Requirements In New Child Safety Law

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Starting on February 10, 2009, children's toys and child care articles cannot contain more that 0.1% of six phthalates (DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, and DnOPA) regardless of when they were manufactured. The CPSC will abide by a court decision (pdf) issued yesterday ruling that the prohibition on phthalates in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 applies to products in inventory. Phthalates are a group of chemicals (oily, colorless liquids) that are used among other things to make vinyl and other plastics soft and flexible.

A "children's toy" is defined in the statute as a product intended for a child 12 years of age or younger for use when playing. The Commission has previously stated that it will follow the definition of toy in the mandatory toy standard which exempts such things as bikes, playground equipment, musical instruments, and sporting goods (except for their toy counterparts).

The statute also prohibits phthalates over the limit in "child care articles," which include products that a child 3 and younger would use for sleeping, feeding, sucking or teething. By way of example, a pacifier/teether would be an item that would help a child with sucking or teething; a sippy cup would facilitate feeding; and a crib mattress would facilitate sleeping.

Companies must meet their reporting obligation under federal law and immediately tell the Commission if they learn of a children's toy or child care article that exceeds the new phthalates limits starting on February 10, 2009. Companies also should know that the CPSIA generally prohibits the export for sale of children's products that exceed the new phthalates limits.

The agency will be issuing further guidance information next week.

#405 of 406 Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
**an ordinary children's book printed after 1985; or
I'm glad they are at least backing up the retroactive part for children's books, but honestly, they need to go further back than 1985. My library has many books in the children's circulation that date older than that. I've actually checked out some of the same books for my kids that I checked out when I was little. Most school libraries also have books older than 1985.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#406 of 406 Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Senator Demint has sent a letter to Etsy.com, asking for everyone's help in getting his legislation passed:

"As many of you know, last week I announced that I am planning to offer legislation to fix the problems contained in the CPSIA. I’m not going to relist the changes here, but if you haven’t already visited the posting I would encourage you to visit my blog.

"However, to make these changes a reality, I’m going to need your help. You need you to call your senator. The number for the switchboard at the U.S. Senate is (202) 224-3121. When you call, tell the operator what state you’re from and that you’d like to speak to one of your senators. Tell them where you are from. Explain how this new law will impact your life. Ask them to support the legislation I am proposing. And be sure to thank them for taking the time to talk with you.

"Sending letters to the CPSC isn’t enough. The CPSC can’t fix this problem. Congress needs to act and it is you who must encourage them to do so."

www.doiop.com/etsy_demint

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page