Mothering Forum banner

Where won't you shop/do business and why?

31K views 207 replies 136 participants last post by  AFWife 
#1 ·
It would take me a thousand threads to figure out some of the major issues that we have with specific companies, stores, corporations and such.

My mom just told me tonight about fair trade chocolate and why it's so important, something I never even knew or thought about. It made me wonder who you are boycotting and why. There are so many educated, passionate mamas here and I'd like to hear from you.

For example: I'm buying only used clothes or those made my WAHMs currently because of the number of companies that employ sweat shops (if you know that names of specific stores I'd love to hear it).

So if you have an issue with a specific entity could you list it and the reason?

It would be nice to have a list with 'to the point' info that others and myself could look into futher or at least be aware of.

#27 ·
Sorry to double post but I also try to support companies that cover infertility and adoption for their employees as this is dear to my heart: http://conceiveonline.com/50best/50-...list/?Itemid=0

This is local only, but I also go to the Cleveland Clinic because they have an accountability site where you can look up any doctor and see where they get funding and endorsements - great transparency.

Hope I'm not getting too far off track by going with places NOT to boycott!

#29 ·
I hate American Apparel ads. I like the idea of American Apparel, but really can not afford to shop there.

The ads drive me bonkers and sometimes I think its because I majored in photo in college so I tend to look more deeply into ads than some people, but there is something about those photos that is both sexist and predatory. Almost like the women are reluctantly having their pictures taken, or their boyfriend took the pics and then sold them to the newspaper or something. I've also heard that the CEO is a world class pervert who propositions his employees.

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
I loved the local book stores but they are all gone now with competing B&N and Borders.
I buy most of my books from Amazon.com now. Anything evil there? I buy LOTS of books - I'm a librarian/bibliophile.
I don't know that there is anything evil about Amazon. However, I really like Better World Books http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

The money goes to charity and the shipping is free! They have a really good selection of used books. It is definitely where I turn first.

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
A couple of thoughts.

I boycott Wal-Mart for the aforementioned reasons but am also really put off by the anti-Walmart movement. I think it's a product of a self-righteous bourgeois Left (of which I've been accused of being a part
that wouldn't shop there anyway. I'll know the movement is serious when they target a box store that is a greater sacrifice to boycott. How about Borders Books? They trample on independent bookstores and have a history of unfair labor practices.

Another thought: I don't boycott places to punish the ownership for political beliefs, nor do I support places to reward ownership for beliefs. Honestly, I'm not going to stop abortion by boycotting AT&T...or advance abortion rights by supporting them. Besides, it's a waste of my effort to try to control how people spend the money they earn.

On that note, I would much more likely further human rights with a check to a non-profit or some hours of volunteer work than I would by spending gobs at the Body Shop.

And though I care about breast cancer, seeing a pink ribbon won't compel me to buy a tub of yogurt. If anything, I don't think it's fair for marketers to exploit our sense of conscience when only a teensy weensy amount goes to the cause. I'd rather just go Race for the Cure!
I very much agree! You put into words what I have always struggled to.

Reactions: MyFour
#32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
There is a difference between outselling a competitor because you have better product cheaper through smart management and outselling competitors because you totally and intentionally destroyed the landscape of supply and demand in an industry... just my thoughts.
That's why I boycott Wal-mart, too. And their labor practices.
I'll never buy diamonds.

I don't think I really boycott anything else. There are lots of things I don't buy, like factory-farmed meat or eggs, or high heels, but those are all things I just don't want or need or use, not something I would buy but don't because I have a problem with the company.
I would boycott American Apparel because of their disgusting ads, but I wasn't going to buy any of those clothes anyway so I guess I can't call that a boycott. Did anyone notice that not only are the ads offensive on their own, but they are a big rip-off of those controversial 80's Calvin Klein ads (well, some of them anyway)?? So they are gross AND plagiarized!
I've never boycotted a company because of the owners' personal beliefs or causes. Only because of corporate policy and actions.

Jen

#33 ·
I won't shop at one of the locally owned, small business natural food stores in my town BECAUSE:

long story short, when DS was an infant, i got bit by a spider (HUGE, nasty bite- i almost couldn't walk. so gross!). my doctor prescribed a pretty heavy-hitting antibiotic (don't remember the name). i was an EPer (for one WHOLE year) and the pharmacist INSISTED that i should pump-and-dump. so i called both local natural food stores to price organic formula. having never used formula, and because i knew it would be short term, i felt like i needed to look into organic options. the MANager at one of the stores said to me, "have you ever even CONSIDERED breastfeeding?"

#34 ·
Quote:

Yes. They insist on "Happy Holidays" and refuse to say "Merry Christmas."

On a more serious note....
http://www.alternet.org/workplace/35610/

Thank you! Target has the same practices as Walmart, yet they get a free pass from the same people who squawk loudly about what a devil Walmart is. Drives me nuts.

If one is bad, they both are. As long as our country allows companies to operate this way, demonizing one retailer and ignoring the others who do the same things really doesn't accomplish anything.

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyTorf View Post
I won't shop at one of the locally owned, small business natural food stores in my town BECAUSE:

long story short, when DS was an infant, i got bit by a spider (HUGE, nasty bite- i almost couldn't walk. so gross!). my doctor prescribed a pretty heavy-hitting antibiotic (don't remember the name). i was an EPer (for one WHOLE year) and the pharmacist INSISTED that i should pump-and-dump. so i called both local natural food stores to price organic formula. having never used formula, and because i knew it would be short term, i felt like i needed to look into organic options. the MANager at one of the stores said to me, "have you ever even CONSIDERED breastfeeding?"
Dang. I hope you wrote a letter to the owner and let them know why you wouldn't be darkening his door again.

#36 ·
I just saw this while reading the link about Clorox buying Burt's:

"In the last couple of years, L'Oréal paid $1.4 billion for the Body Shop and Colgate-Palmolive bought 84 percent of Tom's of Maine, which makes natural toothpaste and deodorant, for $100 million."

I also 'boycott':

Wal*Mart, GAP Inc. (GAP, Old Navy, Banana Republic), Abercrombie & Fitch, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, Nike, The Limited, Sears, Kohl's, K-Mart, J.C. Penney, Nestle, Sara Lee, Procter & Gamble, PepsiCo, Avon, Kraft, Chevron, Mattel...

#37 ·
I don't shop at Best Buy because of a ridiculously stupid event a friend had there. DH & I went to help our friend buy a pc monitor. When he got the monitor home that day it had several lines of pixels that weren't working. So, took the monitor back for an exchange. The manager wouldn't open the box and plug in a new monitor to test it without it being purchased first. Something about not being able to sell it after the box was open. So, our friend does buy the replacement monitor. They test it and it has the same problem. Fast forward to 9 monitors being purchased and tested that day all with the same problem. There was a huge stack of monitors blocking the doors. Each of which gets taped back up and put on the shelf to be sold to someone else. ERGGG That manager was so full of crap. Yes, I'm still hot about it nearly 10 years later. My boycotting them has absolutely no impact except making me feel better. DH does shop there though and lucky for bestbuy, because he is always needing some new pc thing. I go with him and rehash the story each time as we walk in and then start complaining about 5 min later. I guess you could say I turn into a 13y.o brat when we go there. Boy, my dh must love me for putting up my crap........

Also, I don't buy food with hfcs. The corn refiners ads make me ill. My goal is to produce as much of my own veggies as possible. I still have a few jars of home canned tomatoes from last season.

#38 ·
Quote:

: why i am not seeing how this was wrong. was it his snarky tone?

#39 ·
ExxonMobil. Because they STILL have not paid that d**n fine, and have been complete UAVs over the issue.

I boycott Walmart because of the small-town killing. I have seen that first hand too - when they forced all the small stores out of business and then hired their employees. But of course they only hired them all part time so they wouldn't have to pay them benefits. Gah. Don't get me going on Walmart.

I try to boycott companies that still use transfats in their products. If I miss it on a label and find it later, I return the package to the store. I am an HCFS avoider, but every now and then there is something I buy that has it.

There are others but those are the ones that come to mind.

#40 ·
Quote:

so i called both local natural food stores to price organic formula. having never used formula, and because i knew it would be short term, i felt like i needed to look into organic options. the MANager at one of the stores said to me, "have you ever even CONSIDERED breastfeeding?"
Wow, so they actually sell the product at their store, but if you so much as ask about the price they harass you? Nice.
There are so many very good reasons why a mother would want to or need to give her baby formula. I would think that if someone is buying or using formula it's best to assume that they have a good reason to use it, rather than assuming they are stupid or selfish as this person seemed to have done to you.
I'm all for educating about and promoting breastfeeding, but attacking people for even asking the price of a can of formula is not exactly promoting breastfeeding. I hope you helped open up that manager's eyes!

Jen

#41 ·
Quote:

And though I care about breast cancer, seeing a pink ribbon won't compel me to buy a tub of yogurt. If anything, I don't think it's fair for marketers to exploit our sense of conscience when only a teensy weensy amount goes to the cause.
I really hate when they don't even just donate the money, you have to then clean your lid and mail it in to them for them to donate the money. Like they want credit for THINKING about donating, but count on customer's laziness to get out of donating anyway.

I forget which yogurt did this, yoplait? They had the commercial with the feel-good soothing music and all those women mailing lids ... made me gag. Just donate!!!

eta - products I won't buy - I won't buy Kellogg's because I think the whole dropping their sponsorship over the pot thing was stupid... and I won't buy Breyer's because while they used to be "all natural" and really yummy, they have changed their recipe so their ice cream is glue-ier so they can whip more air in, and they have shrunk their packages saying they don't want to raise prices - sorry, you sell me less for the same price, you're raising prices. In other words, they bank on their customers being stupid. We only buy store brand ice cream now if we "need" ice cream because it tastes better and is still 1.75 quarts, which I know isn't as big as it used to be, but at least they haven't done the second wave of shrinkage yet. (And yes, yes, I know ice cream is not terribly important but sometimes, you just need ice cream...
)

I also hate tropicana for the shrinkage thing - they choose to point out their new spout in hopes of detracting attention from the smaller package - but we don't avoid them as we never bought them in the first place... All right I guess my Kellogg boycott is ineffective for the same reason in that I don't think we ever bought them much in the first place - some morningstar farms, the occassional Eggo if Kashi was sold out - but when the pot thing happened, I thought "I hope a lot of people boycott Kellogg's" whereas with tropicana I just thought, "I am so sick of this package shrinking thing..."

re: boycotting Walmart being ineffectual and to a large degree just a cool thing to do - I agree. I have to wonder how many people boycott Walmart because it "killed the small town" but then will price shop on the internet ... so you buy it cheap from a web site which is somehow "better" ... if you shop at walmart, even if the company itself sucks, at least chances are your money goes to a person from your town as part of their pay check... That said, I don't shop at Walmart because it's further away than Target... I only go to Walmart if I have a random stuff run to make that includes fabric or crafty goods. I'm not really convinced Target is that much better, though - even if it is more socially acceptable. It's still a lot of crap goods made outside the USA and imported in, cheaply, which is really what the root of the problem is, or at any rate one of the bigger problems...

#42 ·
Quote:
Clorox buying Burt's Bees isn't a deal breaker for me but it does make me worry about how it might affect their product. It will be a 'wait and see ' approach. I knew there had to be a reason WalMart suddenly started selling it.

Thanks for that website link! I didn't know they had something like that and it's really helpful. I love Gap (although don't shop there often) and thought they were a more conscionable establishment. Sad to see they aren't.

#43 ·
When Burt's Bees first came out with their products they didn't use artificial fragrances.....I don't know if they buy out changed that or if they did it before but I'm allergic to Burt's Bees' newer items.

RE: shopping at Walmart/Target...........there isn't a big box store except Safeway with in 75 miles of where I live....I shop locally and support smaller companies but if I'm buying something that is available everywhere - I will get the best price online.....

#44 ·
In the states, I try so hard to only shop at the small locally owned shops. We buy most of our children's clothes from thrift stores. We try to buy food at local markets or farmer's markets. I tend to disagree with pp who have said that where a company chooses to spend it's money doesn't matter. . .I'm sorry but I will boycott a company who gives money to organizations I find unethical. . .I don't want to line their pockets with my money (and granted it's a small amt. . .but those small amts from many people add up). In the states I will not shop at most large box stores. I will shop at Whole foods if that is my only option because as a whole I don't think they are an evil company. . .they've brought organic, whole foods to a larger population which I think is a good thing.

I also boycott diamonds (not that I buy them often. . .but I won't buy them at all now). I know there are a couple ethical companies out there selling them, but I can't afford most of them (and I'd much rather have a vacation instead).

#45 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
I love Gap (although don't shop there often) and thought they were a more conscionable establishment. Sad to see they aren't.
They're actually one of the worst retailers out there and, yes, it is sad.
I remember reports that their CEO was making $8 million/year PLUS $12 million in stock options, but their Cambodian workers were 'living' off of $0.20/hour (late 90s).

tragic.

and again.

sad.

ugh.

unbelievable.

another.

heart-breaking.

"On January 13-14, 1999, three separate lawsuits were filed challenging the unlawful sweatshop conditions in the Saipan, CNMI garment industry. A total of 26 U.S. based retailers and manufacturers have been sued for doing business in Saipan and using "indentured slavery." The 18 companies that have settled the lawsuit have agreed to abide by the new Saipan Code of Conduct which includes prohibiting Saipan-based contractors from violating the law in the future. It also requires factories to be monitored by Vérite, a non-profit Massachusetts based independent monitoring firm. In addition, the settlement calls for retroactive relief, payments to garment worker class members whose rights were violated in the past. With the 18 companies, the settlements have totaled almost $8.5 million. However, GAP, INC. and Chairman Donald Fisher still refuse to settle the lawsuit and will not take responsibility for cleaning up its horrible sweatshops and use of child labor."

#46 ·
RE: Whole Foods:
http://www.familyfarmdefenders.org/p...lmartOfOrganic

http://uprisingradio.org/home/?p=7860

http://www.slate.com/id/2138176/

"Another heading on the Whole Foods banner says "Help the Small Farmer." "Buying organic," it states, "supports the small, family farmers that make up a large percentage of organic food producers." This is semantic sleight of hand. As one small family farmer in Connecticut told me recently, "Almost all the organic food in this country comes out of California. And five or six big California farms dominate the whole industry." There's a widespread misperception in this country-one that organic growers, no matter how giant, happily encourage-that "organic" means "small family farmer." That hasn't been the case for years, certainly not since 1990, when the Department of Agriculture drew up its official guidelines for organic food. Whole Foods knows this well, and so the line about the "small family farmers that make up a large percentage of organic food producers" is sneaky. There are a lot of small, family-run organic farmers, but their share of the organic crop in this country, and of the produce sold at Whole Foods, is minuscule."

#48 ·
I refuse to have anything to do with Network Associates. I've worked in IT for about 16-17 yrs and have fought damn hard to be respected in the field despite being a female. It's still an uphill battle in many companies, men are seen more as "belonging" in the field, whereas women tend to be seen as second string. We're finally making progress then a few years ago NA comes out with this line of ads that reduced women to nothing but sex symbols. I recall one where this beautiful lady in a suit (with a very revealing low cut top and skirt that was hiked halfway up her thighs) was giving a smoldering look at the camera and the caption was something like "I know what's on your hard drive". Thanks! Really needed that!

Walmart is a tough one for us. I dislike a lot of their practices, but they also provide the salary that allows my inlaws to live. Plus the truth is they are the least expensive in town (and we're really not in a position to be too picky) and the Target across the street is disgusting and dark. I do try to limit my visits there though.

#49 ·
I will not step foot in a WalMart and feel no need to justify that. I have not set foot in one in over 20 years, and have no reason to go there, they have nothing at all I need.

Some self-righteous people might act obnoxious about doing the same thing, I'm sorry they do that, but I'm not going to let that influence or deter me, or wear me down or make me throw up my hands in despair and give up.

Other big box retailers may be bad in similar ways, but I think it's pretty clear Walmart is the worst example, so I see no harm choosing not to shop there. I might not be able to change them, they might not "miss my money" but part of conscious living is just doing things thoughtfully and deliberately. I don't boycott them because I necessarily believe I can impact them, I just avoid them because they have absolutely nothing positive to add to my life. Even if they were not a force for social economic and ecological destruction (and they pretty clearly are that) they simply have nothing positive to add to my life, so they can't have my money. I refuse to give them a penny. If there are no other options, I buy nothing. Sometimes it's good to buy nothing.

The people I know who shop there have learned to set the bar too low in terms of product performance and durability - they get sucked in by a few "cheap prices" then like crack addicts they have to keep going back, they loose all sense of how long appliance and clothes and things should last and come to "need" that low price because they replace products WAY too often. They also seem to come up with hobbies based on what's available at that store, then again "need" to go there to get consumables for crafting. There are different ways to live and craft, living and crafting are much older than the big boxes.

You can't get the same things as cheap elsewhere, but you can get better things elsewhere, and end up spending the same amount of money on a smaller number of better things. Then you need less space to house your things, and less time to sort and dust them.
:

The cheapness argument doesn't work. I know plenty of people with WAAAAAAYYY bigger incomes than mine who live a stressed and trashy lifestyle because they are addicted to Walmart. Shopping becomes a hobby for them, something they do instead of real hobbies.

Even though I'm poor I can't make cheapness too much of a priority. Stealing is cheaper than Walmart, but I won't do that either.

The shop local argument doesn't make sense to me either, unless you are also willing to buy crack or stolen bikes or stuff like that from local people who can't find other options than selling such things. Working at WalMart is obviously a better choice than selling crack, but they are on the same continuum of things people do when there are no really good options available to them. I don't think either thing genuinely helps the local economy.

OTOH online shopping, if it supports people making a living wage *somewhere* seems like a better option.

Don't let it get to you, the fact that no choice is perfect; that should deter us from being self-righteous, but not from trying our best, and being happy that at least we tried. Small battles

#50 ·
Whole Foods (here anyway) pays a living wage to it's employees. They start around $10. Home Depot also pays around 10/hour. I work for Target (have for a year) and I like it. I worked at Wal-Mart and really didnt'. I work part time and could have health insurance if I wanted it, among other benefits (including adoption services). Plus, I have MANY benefits I DON'T pay for, I have them by virtue of employment. I don't like what I am currently making, but they will pay for tuition when I return to school. They have stood by my side through one of my worse mental episodes on record. I would have lost my job months and months ago anywhere else. I really enjoy that I don't need to worry as much about my job while I'm in the throws of a near breakdown. I had a full fledged break down about 3 months before I was hired, and lost my job over it. I support my family on my pt wages.

Now, I boycott:
Kraft, ultra-pastuerized milk, Nestle, Ultimate Electronics (an episode that happened to my mom a few years ago....), any gas station except QuikTrip (they're local here, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them), McDonald's, those stores with religious symbols on door fronts, I can't think of others.

I try to support a local grocery chain, but the one closest to my house tends to have out of date items.
I also tend to buy used clothes and other household items. I can't see paying so much for something brand new when there are other items that are still useful in thrift stores.

ETA: I also don't buy "branded" items: Seasame street, thomas, spnge bob, etc. I do buy movies but none of the marketing propaganda that goes with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.