Where won't you shop/do business and why? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 211 Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
 
ColoradoMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: mooning TAO
Posts: 9,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rather than boycotting specifically, I mostly just try to make responsible choices. So, instead I try to patronize places that do have good practices, etc. Two glaring exceptions are Nestle and P&G though. Those two companies are pure evil, and I absolutely boycott them.
ColoradoMama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 211 Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 PM
 
mama_daba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: west marin. california
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if i can get things locally i do but we have very few stores near us. all the stores near us are small family owned though which is nice. we can drive about 45 minutes to an hour to go to stores with more selection or we can order stuff and since no one in this family likes being in the car for very long we order a lot of stuff. when possible i like to order form small family owned companies. the main big company i order from is amazon and generally the tings i order from amazon.com are not things i can get from small family owned companies. overall i try not to get to stressed about it though. i used to have so much guilt over not doing enough and finally i had to be a little more gentle with myself and forgive myself for not being perfect.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

mama_daba is offline  
#63 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 02:14 AM
 
bigeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hawaii
Posts: 7,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara7 View Post
No Wal-Mart here. While Target might have some of the same oversees practices, at least they treat their domestic employees right.
I believe that is up for debate.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1225409AAj2Caf
http://www.vault.com/companies/compa...type=workplace
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ng-c88868.html

I can't find the specific article I read, as it was years ago, but Target treats their employees pretty much the same way Wal-mart does.

Target is Wal-mart with a prettier package. People who object to Wal-mart really can't shop at Target with a clear conscience, imo, because they are the same place.

Personally, I don't think either of them are the real problem, because it is our government that allows big business to operate this way. As long as American companies are able to get products by having them produced with slave labor or near slave labor and get their employees given state sponsored health care benefits with no financial penalties, they will.

Is it wrong? Maybe, but if our government allows them to profit in this way, what's to stop them? There are hardly any retail establishments that don't have MIC merchandise in them, and any large corporation is working the system in any way they can. These guys just happen to be among the worst ( or best) at it, depending upon your point of view. Unfortunately, they are playing by the rules our Federal and State government has given them.

If you don't like the rules, you should be letting your legislators know about it, because the boycotts aren't really hurting Wal-mart. And Target is laughing all the way to the bank as well.

for intuitive readings click here :
bigeyes is offline  
#64 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM
 
kiara7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I believe that is up for debate.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1225409AAj2Caf
http://www.vault.com/companies/compa...type=workplace
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ng-c88868.html

I can't find the specific article I read, as it was years ago, but Target treats their employees pretty much the same way Wal-mart does.

Target is Wal-mart with a prettier package. People who object to Wal-mart really can't shop at Target with a clear conscience, imo, because they are the same place.

Personally, I don't think either of them are the real problem, because it is our government that allows big business to operate this way. As long as American companies are able to get products by having them produced with slave labor or near slave labor and get their employees given state sponsored health care benefits with no financial penalties, they will.

Is it wrong? Maybe, but if our government allows them to profit in this way, what's to stop them? There are hardly any retail establishments that don't have MIC merchandise in them, and any large corporation is working the system in any way they can. These guys just happen to be among the worst ( or best) at it, depending upon your point of view. Unfortunately, they are playing by the rules our Federal and State government has given them.

If you don't like the rules, you should be letting your legislators know about it, because the boycotts aren't really hurting Wal-mart. And Target is laughing all the way to the bank as well.
I get what you're saying. If we dig down enough I'm sure we can find something wrong with every single company out there. In my personal experience, Target employees I knew were paid a decent wage, were never locked in the store, received decent benefits, etc. Not the same with WM, again, in my personal experience with people who worked for them.
kiara7 is offline  
#65 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 12:30 PM
 
SunshineJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In transition
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara7 View Post
I get what you're saying. If we dig down enough I'm sure we can find something wrong with every single company out there. In my personal experience, Target employees I knew were paid a decent wage, were never locked in the store, received decent benefits, etc. Not the same with WM, again, in my personal experience with people who worked for them.
This may be regional or vary by store. My MIL has worked for them for at least 10 years and is now at a management level. She is paid well, gets full bennies, and overall is satisfied with the deal she has going there. Certainly there are frustrations, and I know it bothers her when she can't get the week off that she wants, but that's normal most places. Does that mean they don't have poor practices overall? Of course not. Just saying that I don't think it's necessarily one size fits all for every store.
SunshineJ is offline  
#66 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 04:33 PM
 
Treece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Planet Earth, most days
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to add that I really try not to buy name brand anything. The only way I will is if it is proven to be better. Like, I buy Kikkoman teryaki cause it's the best (to me). I never buy Kellog's anything b/c of circ issues too. But it was the other kellogg who was pro circ and is probably flipping in his grave over how good corn flakes taste. I won't buy Ameda pumps, again circ issues. I plan to never give birth in hospitals b/c of the same and the way my son and I were treated. In fact, I really don't want a midwife b/c of the way the last one just ditched us.

I wanted to say that we went to Babies r us to get lo a swim diaper. Well, I found NO ONE on the sales floor. I didn't find what we were looking for. Not till the cashier showed us. There aren't any phones or pager buttons. Then, to top it off. LO walked off from us. He's 17 mo. I know we should have been watching better. When I went to the service desk to initiate the Code Adam, the manager person looked at me like I was stupid. I said "My baby's gone." It was almost as if she had no clue what to do. Didn't offer to look with me, didn't ask what he was wearing. Anyway, a few moments passed and she called it over the intercom. Meanwhile, I'm racing around looking for him. (He was sitting down and refused to go to the employee that found him. Good kid!!!) I'm just ticked off. Target responds WAY faster than she did.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10
 
When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Treece is offline  
#67 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,844
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
If you don't like the rules, you should be letting your legislators know about it, because the boycotts aren't really hurting Wal-mart. And Target is laughing all the way to the bank as well.
ITA!!!

My biggest beef with the film, The High Cost of Low Prices, is its inference that boycotting Wal-Mart and stopping it from coming to communities would somehow erase the problem. But come on. Is it better to pluck each weed as it sprouts or apply a good mulch? The problem is a systemic one, and until we address it systemically, it won't go away.

That said, I still cannot shop at Wal-Mart. It's a matter of personal conscience. But I won't fool myself that they're somehow suffering without my business. I'm glad for this thread because it's forced me to be accountable for shopping at Target :, which I've resolved to stop doing.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Private Parts are Private Property!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turquesa is offline  
#68 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 PM
 
RunnerDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post
I wanted to say that we went to Babies r us to get lo a swim diaper. Well, I found NO ONE on the sales floor. I didn't find what we were looking for. Not till the cashier showed us. There aren't any phones or pager buttons. Then, to top it off. LO walked off from us. He's 17 mo. I know we should have been watching better. When I went to the service desk to initiate the Code Adam, the manager person looked at me like I was stupid. I said "My baby's gone." It was almost as if she had no clue what to do. Didn't offer to look with me, didn't ask what he was wearing. Anyway, a few moments passed and she called it over the intercom. Meanwhile, I'm racing around looking for him. (He was sitting down and refused to go to the employee that found him. Good kid!!!) I'm just ticked off. Target responds WAY faster than she did.
Now this is a store-by-store problem... I lost my son in a BRU once. I was looking at car seats. He must have been about the same age as yours because I was debating getting a marathon - which we ended up getting when he was 20 months. He was there - I was looking at the seat - I turned around and he wasn't there. They shut the store down QUICK and had me wait by the door in case anyone tried to leave with him.

I wanted to crawl into a hole and die of embarassement...

They did act quick though.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
RunnerDuck is offline  
#69 of 211 Old 05-30-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Quickbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't shop at many of the businesses already mentioned. I DO buy all I can locally and as minimally processed as possible.

In my view, the bigger things become the harder it is to keep them human and decent. The writer Wendell Berry has thoughtful commentary on this topic. Physical distance and its attendant lack of relationship make truly responsible behavior almost impossible for us. In other words, my husband owns and runs our business and if/when we have employees, seeing them every day and getting to know them helps motivate him to treat them fairly. Not so with big companies.

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
Quickbeam is offline  
#70 of 211 Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 AM
 
lovebug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Posts: 4,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
lovebug is offline  
#71 of 211 Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 AM
 
Treece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Planet Earth, most days
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
Now this is a store-by-store problem... I lost my son in a BRU once. I was looking at car seats. He must have been about the same age as yours because I was debating getting a marathon - which we ended up getting when he was 20 months. He was there - I was looking at the seat - I turned around and he wasn't there. They shut the store down QUICK and had me wait by the door in case anyone tried to leave with him.

I wanted to crawl into a hole and die of embarassement...

They did act quick though.
It was aweful those few moments. But I bet you're right. And it could have just been the Manager on Duty. There were hardly any visible employees. So, I really don't know. But I won't be shopping at THAT one again. It scares me to think what could have happened. But he was sitting there enjoying the excitement. lol

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10
 
When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Treece is offline  
#72 of 211 Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I believe that is up for debate.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1225409AAj2Caf
http://www.vault.com/companies/compa...type=workplace
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ng-c88868.html

I can't find the specific article I read, as it was years ago, but Target treats their employees pretty much the same way Wal-mart does.

Target is Wal-mart with a prettier package. People who object to Wal-mart really can't shop at Target with a clear conscience, imo, because they are the same place.

Personally, I don't think either of them are the real problem, because it is our government that allows big business to operate this way. As long as American companies are able to get products by having them produced with slave labor or near slave labor and get their employees given state sponsored health care benefits with no financial penalties, they will.

Is it wrong? Maybe, but if our government allows them to profit in this way, what's to stop them? There are hardly any retail establishments that don't have MIC merchandise in them, and any large corporation is working the system in any way they can. These guys just happen to be among the worst ( or best) at it, depending upon your point of view. Unfortunately, they are playing by the rules our Federal and State government has given them.

If you don't like the rules, you should be letting your legislators know about it, because the boycotts aren't really hurting Wal-mart. And Target is laughing all the way to the bank as well.
Thanks for all this information and I agree with your points.

The thing is for me (and I really need to put this into practice better by not shopping at these places even as rarely as I do and by contacting my reps. I am ashamed we don't do this as both DH and I worked at WM for 2 years) is that where I do not deny Target treats it's employees better than Wal Mart they still don't treat them well. I just don't think we should compare businesses to WM and excuse their practices because at least they aren't as bad as Wal Mart, ykwim?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#73 of 211 Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
 
bigeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hawaii
Posts: 7,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about this the other day. The US is a consumer nation. We don't make much here, we just have everything brought in from other countries.

Clothing is made elsewhere, electronics are made elsewhere, cars are made elsewhere, and if we do make something here, we get the parts from somewhere else....we need to start making things ourselves or figure out something we do better than everyone else because we keep shipping all our manufacturing off to other, cheaper places and giving our money to everyone else.

Gee, I wonder why our economy is bad?

We used to be good at farming, and the government paid farmers to not grow food!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070100962.html

Things are so screwed up, and our government has allowed it, imo, at every turn. The American people allowed it, because we never protest when these things are OK'd, we're so busy blaming Wal-mart we don't see what's really going on.

Big business could not do these things if big government didn't make the rules that allowed them to do it in the first place. They get big tax breaks for putting welfare mothers back to work, even though those welfare mothers all require state sponsored health insurance that costs the taxpayers. They get huge tax breaks because the government writes the tax code.

Who allowed this? We did.

So who is villian? Wal-mart? The government? Or us?

for intuitive readings click here :
bigeyes is offline  
#74 of 211 Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think we have Target here (Canada). I'm glad we don't.

I avoid Walmart at all costs. I just don't like the place. Especially the new 'super centers'. WHY do we need a store that huge that sells EVERYTHING? The ads for another grocery store where they have bus service taking people around are hilarious - love them. The only time I'll enter a Walmart is if armageddon happens and I need to loot some supplies to live on as I vacate the city.

I also never ever will shop at Superstore for much the same reasons, although that may in part be due to being forced to shop there for a job I had when I was pregnant with my oldest, and every time I walked in the front door of the place I got a raging headache.

I am very sad to read that Burts Bees and Toms of Maine sold out

There's certain places I will never step foot in again because of personal reasons, like the little local tailor shop I had a pair of pants fixed in 2 weeks ago. Today the same zipper broke - when I had a good look at it I'm sure they didn't replace it like they were supposed to, they just left the faulty zipper in it and did it up and charged me $18 for it.

I will never shop at Value Village because they solicit donations under the guise of the Canadian Diabetes foundation over the phone, then sell them for a profit. Goodwill is WAY better - they are a true non profit. Plus their prices are much lower.
BedHead is offline  
#75 of 211 Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 AM
 
honeybunch2k8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My town is getting a Target. The more I think about it, the more I do not like it. The city cleared some pretty green space to make Best Buy and Target. I think the land would be better off used as a CSA, but then again that would take away business from Wally World across the street. Not to mention the city will pave the way for big boxes to come while local business fail or scrape by.

I think in general people are way too dependent on boxes. In a way I think some people are kind of crippled by it. For example, I hear people complaining about the quality of the Walmart's food. Well, then maybe we should take our food supply into our own hands. And this is in a state stereotyped as being agricultural but too many people don't think to grow their own stuff. I've heard (haven't looked up the statistics yet) that the US grows less than half its food. Just crazy!!!
honeybunch2k8 is offline  
#76 of 211 Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 AM
 
onelilguysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. The US is a consumer nation. We don't make much here, we just have everything brought in from other countries.

Clothing is made elsewhere, electronics are made elsewhere, cars are made elsewhere, and if we do make something here, we get the parts from somewhere else....we need to start making things ourselves or figure out something we do better than everyone else because we keep shipping all our manufacturing off to other, cheaper places and giving our money to everyone else.

Gee, I wonder why our economy is bad?

We used to be good at farming, and the government paid farmers to not grow food!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070100962.html

Things are so screwed up, and our government has allowed it, imo, at every turn. The American people allowed it, because we never protest when these things are OK'd, we're so busy blaming Wal-mart we don't see what's really going on.

Big business could not do these things if big government didn't make the rules that allowed them to do it in the first place. They get big tax breaks for putting welfare mothers back to work, even though those welfare mothers all require state sponsored health insurance that costs the taxpayers. They get huge tax breaks because the government writes the tax code.

Who allowed this? We did.

So who is villian? Wal-mart? The government? Or us?
A lot of people think this is wonderful and why our country is so grand and just getting so much better.
onelilguysmommy is offline  
#77 of 211 Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM
 
bigeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hawaii
Posts: 7,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
A lot of people think this is wonderful and why our country is so grand and just getting so much better.
That's really sad.

for intuitive readings click here :
bigeyes is offline  
#78 of 211 Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Rebecca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm reading 'Confessions of an Ecosinner' right now and if you've never thought about the sources of your stuff, this is fantastic. The author traveled all over the world to figure out how things are made, like what 'fair trade' coffee really means. It means the farmers are still very poor, even with their guaranteed low wages with small plantations they slave away at and the middlemen make more money. One cotton teeshirt requires 1800 GALLONS of water to produce, and cotton is grown in dry, sunny regions with low rainfall (northern australia and India), rivers are diverted and drained dry to sustain these crops.

We Americans like the fact that we abolished slavery a hundred fifty years ago, like we're so progressive regarding human rights. But all we've done is outsource the slavery to other nations, so now we dont 'own' it. We contract it out. As consumers it's our obligation to look into where our stuff comes from and whether the system is something we want to support or not.

I try to buy less, 'try' being the operative word. I try to buy used when I can and like to hit consignment stores and Craigslist when I need something. I like to barter services as well. I do shop the big box stores now and then, but I try to balance it with more sustainable practices elsewhere.
Rebecca is offline  
#79 of 211 Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
We Americans like the fact that we abolished slavery a hundred fifty years ago, like we're so progressive regarding human rights. But all we've done is outsource the slavery to other nations, so now we dont 'own' it. We contract it out. As consumers it's our obligation to look into where our stuff comes from and whether the system is something we want to support or not.
Amen.

I think I need to print out a lot of these posts and keep them where I can see them often.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#80 of 211 Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
 
Kelsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I don't encounter it so much since we moved back north, but when we were in the southern part of the country, I often saw symbols such as crosses and the "ixoye" fish symbol on random business signs.

I figure that if a dentist feels the need to advertise his religion via the front door of his office, then he must have some reason for it. Either he wants to attract clients of a certain faith or repel clients of other faiths.
I live in Texas and see a lot of this. I, too, am turned off by restaurants and physicians feeling the need to post religious fish symbols next to their business signs. It seems to scream, "We are good, Christian people. Give us your business!" Since when has being a Christian or not being a Christian had anything to do with how food tastes or how good a pediatrician is at his/her job? : If I ever open up an interior design business, I'm going to put a big rainbow next to my sign because everyone knows that we gays are the creative types.

Mommy to 7 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter ~ Homemaker ~ Cultural anthropology student ~ Partner to the world's hottest tech nerd ~ Lover of culinary arts
Kelsa is offline  
#81 of 211 Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
 
Theoretica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Inside my head (it's quiet here!)
Posts: 3,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing-great thread!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Theoretica is offline  
#82 of 211 Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 PM
 
sinsaratea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: in the witchy south, y'all
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we should be able to not go to a store for whatever reason we see fit, and I know that one poster said she did not go to stores/companies with any religious symbolism, but most of the symbol issues have been with Christian Ofishes, etc. I dunno, I just feel like its unfair...the signs don't say "Christians Only" though I can see how someone might see that as an implied message. But if someone came on here and said "I don't support stores with rainbow stickers/stars of david/whatever other "minority" symbol" then that person may be flamed to death!!! Its just their expression of faith... for some people it is super strong. And let me reiterate that I still totally feel people are ok for not going there if that makes them uncomfortable, I guess I just feel like if there is a small locally owned store that treated their employees well [and most of the fish bearing businesses are small, locally owned] I would not boycott them. In full disclosure, yes I am aChristian, but I consider myself to be a progressive one, as in I believe in truly loving one another, and Im woudl totally visit the aforementioned small local store if it had rainbows or pentacles or whatever plastered all over it

Eh. that was not as eloquent as i would have liked. carry on....

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
sinsaratea is offline  
#83 of 211 Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great points, Sara!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#84 of 211 Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 AM
 
debe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I live in North Vancouver BC. I do not have a car. Most of my shopping is local. Local sometimes means my local store has stuff that is imported. I do not shop at at Walmart. The reasons are all stated above and though as one poster noted, Walmart does not care if I shop there or not, that is fine. Most of what I have as power is where I put my money. They do not get any of my small amount of money.
I do not shop any fast food restaurant, ever.
Oh wait, I guess you count Starbuks as fast food. I shop there rarely- usually when I am stuck out at a melt down time and I succumb to the need for a decaf, soy mocha fix. Usually it is the small local coffee house with the organic grown practice product.
I do not shop at London drugs because I was refused a bathroom when my two year old needed to pee. I will not shop Book Ware House for the same reason. I will not shop a local art store because they always "offer" advice regarding the perceived lack in my parenting, and they think I am not keeping my daughter in hand. Most who know me know I do not let her run amok in stores. I do not shop in one of the baby product stores because every time I have been in there i got a creepy feeling, and the last time I was in there I was given extremely poor to rude customer service.

I am also aware of what some posters noted about fair trade and other things. It gets down to doing the best that you can with out going insane.
debe is offline  
#85 of 211 Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
 
swd12422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't shop at Walmart, Starbucks, etc. But I have some very mixed ideas about them that I can't sort out. I don't like "big consumerism." I try to keep things simple and DEFNITELY prefer to buy locally. I agree with the complaints of slave-wages, unfair working conditions, and poor treatment of employees that I hear about with a lot of the big chains. And I agree that those things need to end. I certainly don't want to support a company that indulges in those things for profit (or any reason).

BUT... look at how many people they employ! I never thought about that when I lived in a major metropolitan area. Now that I'm in a smaller town (not tiny, but not a city), I can see how so many local people are able to stay in their hometown and make a living at these stores. If it weren't for WallyWorld, lots of retirees would be on the streets, or at least far less comfortable. I'd love to see the big boxes go away, but where would all these people work? The local coffee house I go to had to reduce their hours of operation over the winter b/c they couldn't pay their employees. At Christmas time! If those people worked at Starbuck's, that wouldn't have happened. (Yes, I know they closed lots of stores, but not in my town, and I'm talking kinda specifically and kinda generally here...)

So how do I reconcile that?
swd12422 is offline  
#86 of 211 Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
 
Pepper44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else ever feel..stuck?

If I want to avoid big box stores and only buy local groceries, where would I go? The farmer's market is great but it's not year round and they only sell produce, not things like toothpaste. We have Meijer, a big chain. Kroger, another big chain. And of course we have Walmart. There is also a Whole Foods. There are no local family owned grocery stores anywhere!

I have a similar issue with clothing. I do go to thrift stores and consignment sales, but adult clothing is seriously lacking at our goodwill stores. (Those are the only thrift stores we have.) Occasionally I will have a good find, but honestly most of the clothes are outdated and fugly! Or they are worn and stained. Where else is there to shop but the same big chains? We buy a lot of clothes at Khols or Target.

I have noticed that Tractor Supply has run out a lot of family owned local feed stores in my area of the state. Their animal feed is low quality and more expensive. There is one local feed store one town over from me, and I always shop there. I love their friendly, intelligent staff and their freshly ground feed. It makes me wonder what it must have been like to be able to shop at a small local grocery store.

I feel like the issue is a larger problem in our government, our culture, and our economy. Boycotting Walmart won't do much, though it does make sense that you would avoid that store for personal reasons. I have found that there are very few things in Walmart that I really need to go there for. Ours is crowded and dirty, and it doesn't carry most of the groceries I would buy in the first place. But in a small town where I used to live, there is literally no where else within an hour to buy toilet paper. So what would you do? Waste time and gas (bad for the environment too!) to drive far away to stock up at another store, or just suck it up and shop at Wally World?

I don't boycott anything specific. Instead I try to buy local when available, avoid MIC when I can, buy organic when I can (though I will choose local over organic), and support any family businesses I can find. I don't buy things with HFCS aside from occasional treats. I look for food products with whole ingredients rather than chemicals and additives. It's difficult to boycott when you have limited options, but it's not too hard to find good products, usually.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Pepper44 is offline  
#87 of 211 Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 AM
 
LVale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't boycott any stores, for one simple reason, the people that are working there. I see a young mom, trying to make ends meet. Maybe it is Walmart, of
starbucks, no I do not agree with their policies or where they get their merchandise. In this economy, some people have no choice but to work at these stores. But if it makes a difference for a family trying to pay their rent and feeding their children, I will shop at the big , icky chain stores. So I ask you what is the solution?
LVale is offline  
#88 of 211 Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 AM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVale View Post
I don't boycott any stores, for one simple reason, the people that are working there. I see a young mom, trying to make ends meet. Maybe it is Walmart, of
starbucks, no I do not agree with their policies or where they get their merchandise. In this economy, some people have no choice but to work at these stores. But if it makes a difference for a family trying to pay their rent and feeding their children, I will shop at the big , icky chain stores. So I ask you what is the solution?
I have thought from this angel before and it really does seem impossible. I'd love to hear some thoughts on it.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#89 of 211 Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 AM
 
rabrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally agree with Pepper. We have Fred Meyer (Kroger), Safeway (which has higher prices most of the time than FM), WalMart, Sears (which has little selection and non-existent customer service), Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Lowes, Home Depot, a very small natural store that has very little food and is mostly herbs...

We do have a great local bookstore that takes used books and we go there as often as we can. We'll go to Barnes and Noble and I'll make a mental list of books to look for used at the other place. We have a local homemade ice cream place that just rocks but we don't go there often because it is pretty expensive for a dish of ice cream. We have the farmer's market in the summer but tomatoes there are up to $6/lb and we can't spend that when they're under $2/lb. at Fred Meyer. We grow a large garden in the summer so we buy very few veggies in the summer.

But what do you do? I can't even buy from the good places online because the shipping to AK is atrocious most of the time or they just flat don't ship here (which is ridiculous).

Jenn
rabrog is offline  
#90 of 211 Old 07-11-2009, 04:30 PM
 
mamabadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsa View Post
I live in Texas and see a lot of this. I, too, am turned off by restaurants and physicians feeling the need to post religious fish symbols next to their business signs. It seems to scream, "We are good, Christian people. Give us your business!" Since when has being a Christian or not being a Christian had anything to do with how food tastes or how good a pediatrician is at his/her job?
Locally, there is an annual directory printed and handed out for free, called "The Shepherd's Guide." It lists all the local businesses in every category which are "Christian," including everything from dentists to pet shops to hairdressers. It annoys me to think that some categories of Christians only want to hire a landscaper who belongs to the same kind of church. It makes me want to avoid those businesses, to tell the truth, but instead I just ignore it.
mamabadger is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 10,507

53 members and 10,454 guests
AlmostJenny , averysmomma05 , bananabee , bannerd , bluefaery , captain optimism , charterpl03 , CricketVS , Deborah , easydoesit , Elizabeth Dominic , elliha , emmy526 , greenemami , healthy momma , IsaFrench , ismewilde , jeslynn , katelove , kathymuggle , lellian , maiajay , mama24-7 , MamadeRumi , mariamadly , meowmix , mgp_SAG , MomtoRyan , moominmamma , newmamalizzy , Oceanage , Ragana , RollerCoasterMama , SandiMae , sarafl , sassyfirechick , shantimama , Shmootzi , slammerkin , Snydley , SpiralChrissy , Springshowers , stephalittle , SweetSilver , talldarkeyes , Thomas el bombas , Tracy , worthy
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.