Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post

Better World Books
is a great alternative to Amazon. They support libraries all over the world! I get great used books and new there, and they even break down for you how they compare to Amazon. Now, sometimes with the free shipping at Amazon it's cheaper, but often getting cheap used books in great condition makes BWB a better deal for my orders.
another AMAZING option for books is www.Powells.com

It is a brick and mortar store in Portland, OR but you can order new and used books online. Very affordable and they are my own personal definition of "passionate for books". If you ever visit the area, set aside 4-5 hours to see the main store.

I avoid walmart, macdonalds, etc. But like others, I pay more attention to were I do shop. The local burger place uses local, organic ingredients and has a recycling AND composting program in place. If we are doing fast food, that is where we go.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM

I am now boycotting Adidas and Reebok because they endorse Mayweather.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 AM

I try not to buy Nestle. But I often forget to read the fine print so I know I still end up buying Nestle stuff inadvertently since they sell under so many different labels.

I would really prefer to avoid businesses that give money to Planned Parenthood as I am pro-life. Unfortunately there are so many of them it's almost impossible.

KFC. Gross.

Not really a "boycott" but I try to avoid businesses doing FluMist this time of year because it sheds big time.

I do try to buy local and from small businesses, however I don't specifically boycott businesses just for being "big"...I figure most of them started out as small businesses too and I'm not going to punish them for having savvy enough business practices to be successful.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Walmart. From their abysmal treatment of employees, to their impact on local and global markets. No way, no how.
It is, in fact, the only retail outlet within 5 miles of my house, but I still won't shop there.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM

We dont go to our local coffe shop/cafe thing anymore b/c my son once went up to the counter and said 'blue' (looking at their sign out front, we had been naming colors on the ride over!)

There is a window to outside where I ordered a smoothie, and at the same time peopel were ordering from the counter inside. I saw the lady making a blue snow cone and thought nothing of it. I paid with a $10 and got back $2 in change, and then she put the snow cone on the counter.

I said "we didnt order this" and she starts YELLING at me that my son ordered it (he was just a toddler!) and I had to pay for it. 1. he just aid 'blue' she didnt confirm with me, ask what size we wanted, or anything, just made it. 2. ds is allergic to artificial anything.

My dad went to talk to her and she told him I was a "bad mother for givign my son stuff he is allergic to". I didnt give it to him, didnt order it, and had no intention of him having any of it!

We didnt get our money back, and the smoothie wasnt even made right.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
We dont go to our local coffe shop/cafe thing anymore b/c my son once went up to the counter and said 'blue' (looking at their sign out front, we had been naming colors on the ride over!)

There is a window to outside where I ordered a smoothie, and at the same time peopel were ordering from the counter inside. I saw the lady making a blue snow cone and thought nothing of it. I paid with a $10 and got back $2 in change, and then she put the snow cone on the counter.

I said "we didnt order this" and she starts YELLING at me that my son ordered it (he was just a toddler!) and I had to pay for it. 1. he just aid 'blue' she didnt confirm with me, ask what size we wanted, or anything, just made it. 2. ds is allergic to artificial anything.

My dad went to talk to her and she told him I was a "bad mother for givign my son stuff he is allergic to". I didnt give it to him, didnt order it, and had no intention of him having any of it!

We didnt get our money back, and the smoothie wasnt even made right.
Oh mama, how incredibly frustrating!! You should never have to pay for something you didn't order. The clerk thinking that something was ordered is totally beside the point! Maybe you can contact the owner and get some satisfaction. Even if it wasn't really recent. Might feel good just to let them know how you were treated - and that the thing you actually did order wasn't made right, either!
best to you
Jen
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
She gave me a giant lecture on how I was leading my child into the evil world of perverted body image. I went to Whole Foods instead and have only gone in there once or twice in desperation after that, and only when said owner isn't there. Grrrr.
If she's so outraged over the evil world of perverted body image, why does her business carry something that buys into it? Hmm...

(says the girl with electric blue glittery toe nails)

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm finding it somewhat disheartening all this talk of "personal boycotts don't matter." I think they do. All we have is our individual action; the change that we, as individuals, can effect. It should include a broad range of things - writing letters to our government officials, yes, rallying like people have against Super Walmarts that wanted to move into town...but personal boycotts too. I understand how a community can be captive to a particular big box retailer. In that situation, I'm not sure what I'd suggest. I'd probably shop there too.

I do feel that saying we, as individuals, can't make a difference is at best disempowering and at worst an absolution of the role each of us plays in a very imperfect system that must be improved in order to have a just and equitable society. Personal boycotts won't change the world overnight, but they are a place to start.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid1024 View Post

I'm finding it somewhat disheartening all this talk of "personal boycotts don't matter." I think they do. All we have is our individual action; the change that we, as individuals, can effect. It should include a broad range of things - writing letters to our government officials, yes, rallying like people have against Super Walmarts that wanted to move into town...but personal boycotts too. I understand how a community can be captive to a particular big box retailer. In that situation, I'm not sure what I'd suggest. I'd probably shop there too.

I do feel that saying we, as individuals, can't make a difference is at best disempowering and at worst an absolution of the role each of us plays in a very imperfect system that must be improved in order to have a just and equitable society. Personal boycotts won't change the world overnight, but they are a place to start.

ITA. I know that my refusal to ever shop at WalMart will not close up any of the locations we have here in town, much less put them out of business. But it's not about that. It's about voting with your feet and your cash, and even if you don't end up with a big result like a town that only hosts family-owned/local businesses or those that promote only "acceptable" (however that is defined for you) business practices, you can have the satisfaction of knowing you are living up to YOUR principles and you are supporting those who are like-minded instead of those who aren't. It's really all you can do -- write letters when necessary, write Op-Eds to be published in the local papers, take out ads if you're really angry about something, and just keep talking with others. I really don't do many of these things myself, mostly b/c it never occurs to me except when I hear some really enraging story like a big box store firing an employee who was injured on the job and they're trying to avoid a lawsuit/workers comp/whatever. But on a more primitive level, it just disgusts me to even walk into most of those stores, and my gut tells me this is not the right place for me to shop.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Kellogs(who also owns Kashi), because they use genetically modified sugar

Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Me too.  Do have a list of those businesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post

I would really prefer to avoid businesses that give money to Planned Parenthood as I am pro-life. Unfortunately there are so many of them it's almost impossible.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Kellogs(who also owns Kashi), because they use genetically modified sugar

I had no idea, they must do a good job of hiding that. I just bought several boxes of kellogs cereal yesterday, we can't afford to toss them and that store won't take things back for reasons like that. no more kellogs here.

I'd also like a list of companies that support planned parenthood, I sure don't want my money going there!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM

I just found a basic list:

BUSINESSES SUPPORTING PLANNED PARENTHOOD AND ABORTION
-----------------------------------------------------

Affiliated Publications   Honeywell
Steelcase                 Subaru of America
Alcoa aluminum            Hospital Corp of America
American Express          Johnson & Johnson
Syntex pharmaceuticals    Tandy Radio Shack
Arriscraft                Johnson Controls
Berkshire Hathaway        JP Morgan Guaranty Trust
Times Mirror              US West communications
Berlex Laboratories       Levi Strauss & Co
Bristol-Myers Squibb      Lincoln Electric
Warner-Lambert            Whirlpool appliances
Cargill                   Lincoln National Bank
Chase Manhattan Bank      Lost Arrow clothing
Working Assets            Wyeth
Chemical Banking          Lubrizol
CIGNA insurance           Mead
Citicorp/Citibank         Multimedia Design Group
Corel                     Nationwide Insurance
Cummins Engine            New York Times
Dayton Hudson stores      Northern Trust Bank
Enron oil/gas pipeline    Norwest banking
Esprit                    Organon
First Bank System         Pacific Mutual/Financial
Fortis insurance          Peter Kiewit & Sons
GATX                      Phelps Dodge
General Mills             Pittway
Grand Metropolitan        Prudential insurance
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

and another list:

AOL, Darden Restaurants (Bahama Breeze, The Capital Grille, LongHorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Season 52), Franchise Services (PIP, Signal Graphics, Sir Speedy), Hilton Worldwide (Conrad Hotels,Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inns/Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Hotels, Homewood Suites), Ignite Restaurants (Brickhouse Tavern+Tap, Joe’s Crab Shack), ING (financial services), Kohl’s (department stores), Mrs. Fields (cookies),Staples (office/school supplies), Toys “R” Us, and Trader Joe’s(markets/supermarkets).The Gap (apparel/accessories) and Freddie Mac (U.S. Government-sponsored secondary mortgages) AlphaGraphics, Wells Fargo (including Wachovia), Nike, Time Warner, Bank of America, Walt Disney, Johnson & Johnson, Lost Arrow (Patagonia, etc.),Chevron, and Nationwide Insurance,PayPal, EBay.

Charitable groups that are associated with Planned Parenthood and/or its agenda: Lions Clubs, the American Cancer Society, Easter Seals, Boys & Girls Clubs, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Camp Fire, Girls Inc., Girl Scouts, Kiwanis Clubs, March of Dimes, Muscular Dystrophy Association,Rotary Clubs, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Salvation Army, YWCA, America Gives Back (formerly American Idol Gives Back and YMCA.

Also on the list are the following restaurants: Bahama Breeze, Capital Grille, LongHorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, or Season 52, Brickhouse Tavern + Tap, Joe’s Crab Shack.

Boycott these services: PIP, Signal Grapics, Sir Speedy, ING

Don't Stay at: Conrad Hotels, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inns, Hiltons and Homewood Suites

Don't Shop at: Kohl’s, Mrs. Fields, Staples, Toys R Us, Trader Joe’s, The Gap.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

and another list:

AOL, Darden Restaurants (Bahama Breeze, The Capital Grille, LongHorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Season 52), Franchise Services (PIP, Signal Graphics, Sir Speedy), Hilton Worldwide (Conrad Hotels,Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inns/Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Hotels, Homewood Suites), Ignite Restaurants (Brickhouse Tavern+Tap, Joe’s Crab Shack), ING (financial services), Kohl’s (department stores), Mrs. Fields (cookies),Staples (office/school supplies), Toys “R” Us, and Trader Joe’s(markets/supermarkets).The Gap (apparel/accessories) and Freddie Mac (U.S. Government-sponsored secondary mortgages) AlphaGraphics, Wells Fargo (including Wachovia), Nike, Time Warner, Bank of America, Walt Disney, Johnson & Johnson, Lost Arrow (Patagonia, etc.),Chevron, and Nationwide Insurance,PayPal, EBay.

Charitable groups that are associated with Planned Parenthood and/or its agenda: Lions Clubs, the American Cancer Society, Easter Seals, Boys & Girls Clubs, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Camp Fire, Girls Inc., Girl Scouts, Kiwanis Clubs, March of Dimes, Muscular Dystrophy Association,Rotary Clubs, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Salvation Army, YWCA, America Gives Back (formerly American Idol Gives Back and YMCA.

Also on the list are the following restaurants: Bahama Breeze, Capital Grille, LongHorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, or Season 52, Brickhouse Tavern + Tap, Joe’s Crab Shack.

Boycott these services: PIP, Signal Grapics, Sir Speedy, ING

Don't Stay at: Conrad Hotels, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inns, Hiltons and Homewood Suites

Don't Shop at: Kohl’s, Mrs. Fields, Staples, Toys R Us, Trader Joe’s, The Gap.

Wow.  Thanks for the list.  I had no idea it would be this extensive.  I'm saddened by this.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM

I'm not saddened.  I'm happy.  So, thank you for posting the businesses who support Planned Parenthood!  I am HAPPY they do!

I boycott Nestle and every business they own, Walmart, Starbucks (for their practices in Israel), and Burger King (for their practices in Israel). 

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM

princesstutu can you explain a bit on the Starbucks/Israel thing? The info I can find online is all over the place.

I boycott Walmart because of their misogyny, and all fast food places because they suck lol. I boycott all cable companies because they are all scams (and I don't have a TV anyways). I boycott for-profit banks because they are evil. I'm doing my best to boycott the Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic because of their labor practices but I still have some of their stuff I got second hand. I boycott Monsanto and all its tenticular entities.

I try my best to only buy fair trade coffee and chocolate (I think fair trade is more important than organic in this case).

It would take quite a bit to make me boycott Trader Joe's though. WTF would I eat??
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

I'm not saddened.  I'm happy.  So, thank you for posting the businesses who support Planned Parenthood!  I am HAPPY they do!

Me, too. They get a check from me every year! All women need access to good birth control.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Yes, please expand on the Starbucks & BK issue with Israel.... I can't keep track of all of this (and I can't give up TJ's either, as I wouldn't have anyplace else to shop) but the Israel thing intrigues me....

And the Planned Parenthood thing raises a new question for me... Is there a similar agency/organization that provides completely accessible birth control but doesn't push abortion? I'm sort of in limbo right now between pro-life and pro-choice (I'm both, actually), but the treatment of abortion as a casual medical procedure just rubs me the wrong way.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM

I was thinking the very same thing, princestutu! I heartily support Planned Parenthood.

I too boycott Nestle and Walmart. I also boycott Target and Best Buy for their contributions to anti-gay rights political candidates.

Yes, what are these companies doing in Israel? I don't eat at BK, but occasionally I do get Starbucks, though I'd much rather support independent businesses and Fair Trade.

Quote:

I boycott Nestle and every business they own, Walmart, Starbucks (for their practices in Israel), and Burger King (for their practices in Israel). 

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Funny, I just realized I really don't ever go to to Starbuck's OR BK, but I'm still interested to know what their deal is!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Quote:

Me, too. They get a check from me every year! All women need access to good birth control.

Well, keep it up.  They're going to need your support when Congress defunds 1/3 of their budget!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Hey, ladies.  Please remember that this is a no debate forum.  We don't want to debate why people do or don't support certain businesses. This should be a reference of what businesses people don't support and why.  So keep the comments to that specifically, not discussing other folks choices, or to debate the reason for not supporting.

Thanks.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM

Motorola. My dh worked there while I was pregnant. They were not the best in how they treated their employees and such. But what really got to me was, they said I had to go through this maternity line to pick my OB and such. I told them who my OB was in the beginning. So, when I was having trouble with her, I called them back and told them the problems. They completely talked down to me and told me to just do what she said, that she is the professional and I was not so she knew what she was doing and I did not. That was my 3rd child. I called back a couple more times telling them this was a huge issue, I was really worried and needed to switch doctors. They just kept saying I had to stay with her. My baby ended up dying from that doctors mistake. A couple weeks after his death, which they had been informed of, they had the NERVE to send me a letter asking me what I thought of their 2nd opinion program!!! They told me I was not allowed a 2nd opinion!!! They told me I had to stay with her and had no choice!!! AND, they mailed that letter AFTER my son died!!! 

I called them with a few choice words. I did not care that my husband worked there....my son was dead and I felt they were cruel to send me such a thing, 2 weeks after he died, AFTER they told me I could not go to a different doctor!

SO..I never buy motorola products and I won't use them.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Oh, and when my dh left, they had been laying off tons of American employees and replacing them with very cheap offshore people. Its detailed on what they were doing, but they were illegal employment practices.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM

I don't do Walmart, Starbucks, ExxonMobil, Monsanto (a dirty word in our house), and so many of the ones already listed by PPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

In addition to many of the big ones already covered (Wal-Mart, Nestle, etc.), I won't shop anywhere that uses religious symbols/wording as part of their logo or business name. I'm into inclusiveness.

I do this a lot in my area. We have some places like a copy center that puts religious quotes on their sign all the time, like "Jesus is the reason for the season". The one they have up right now is "Make prayer your first choice, not your last resort". If someone is driving a company truck, like a carpenter or handy-man, and they have bumper stickers with religious wording or a Bush/McCain/Palin sticker, I also won't use their services. It's the same reason I won't go to Curves or use other businesses that have religious overtones.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Same here! I was hoping someone else would use this list in this way. Not that I want to stir the pot or cause any trouble!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 03-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post

Same here! I was hoping someone else would use this list in this way. Not that I want to stir the pot or cause any trouble!

This reminds me of some negative political campaign ads we got in the mail several years ago.  It was all about how the person was pro-legalization and had worked to lessen the consequences for having small amounts of mj.  TOTALLY got my DP behind the other candidate 100%

Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Isn't this usually the way it works though? I thought I might be the only one who noticed this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

This reminds me of some negative political campaign ads we got in the mail several years ago.  It was all about how the person was pro-legalization and had worked to lessen the consequences for having small amounts of mj.  TOTALLY got my DP behind the other candidate 100%

Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula jbw View Post

Nordstrom, Walmart and pretty much every gas station were raated as red.

Oh good!  Now I don't have to feel guilty about all the money I give to Nordstrom! lol joy.gif

Anetta, earthmama in the City lady.gif  Wife and best friend to DH reading.gif, SAHM to our little princess Leda dust.gif and furbabies Hans and Heidi  dog2.gifdog2.gif

Happily expecting a pair of "oops!" twins in October!  oops.gif  oops.gif

User Tag List