Raising a new generation of intactivists? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
tutucrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been thinking about this for a long time and wanted to get some ideas going. List some things you are you doing or will do with your children to promote genital integrity throughout their childhood? As intactivist how can we raise a new generation of intactivists?

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.
 
tutucrazy is offline  
#2 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
 
QueenOfTheMeadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: with the wildlife
Posts: 18,213
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Moving to activism from CAC. Please remember the there is a no debate in activism rule.

 
QueenOfTheMeadow is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
 
jessjgh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Shore MA
Posts: 4,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is a great idea to discuss. I'm not really sure it totally belongs in activism as probably a lot of us plan on doing our 'activism' through sharing knowledge. And I don't think that's necessarily activism???
For me, my children are so young it seems like such a long time before I will be really discussing things with them.

However, I do want to talk about this to anyone I have a chance to. I might take a less popular 'activist' approach by not focusing directly on circumcision as an issue.
I currently tend to focus on presenting parenting as a 'whole package' product (especially: parenting, birth (gentle birth), breastfeeding, discipline). That way I can talk about parenting in a way that covers more than just one of my issues... And I do truly think that birth is such a spectacular point in time that focusing on birth can be a catalyst. Indeed, supporting women for positive births will allow more of them to fulfill their roles as mothers and protectors and lead them to intactness naturally.

Talking about parenting or birth in ways that includes discussing education, gentile choices, what our culture teaches us, the role of media, etc.... makes it fairly easy to bring in birth practices such as circumcision (or discuss breastfeeding, vaxes, etc. etc).

There are a few good birth videos out there that lead easily to discussion on the practices that are seen because of our culture... I really like this one for the high school to college age- although it primarily would focus on birth (you'd have to then lead up to, so if we do this to mothers, do you think it ends there....)
Trailer for "Laboring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs. The Real Thing
www.birth-media.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Gd7...layer_embedded
Our Birth Year Network hosted a screening, so I have seen the whole movie, although I guess there was some editing to still be done. It is very current- mentioning Brittany Spears and her sister, for example. (In fact my only criticism was that it was so focused on the 'current' celebrity trends that it could easily seem outdated... although it used many media from when I was in elementary school (Murphy Brown) to current stuff). I also think the way it was presented would be well received.

Then there are a few birth movies that deal specifically with circumcision, such as Gentle Birth Choices and Birth As We Know It.

Just some quick thoughts from me(-: Looking forward to hearing what others will say

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
jessjgh1 is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 01:07 AM
 
Oubliette8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think by educating children about their bodies in an age-appropriate manner little boys will grow up to appreciate their foreskins and be able to know WHY a foreskin is a good thing to have. It seems that most men, intact or otherwise, were never told about their bodies, or more specifically, the state of their penises, by their parents. A boy who is left with no information is much more likely to come to his own, wrong, conclusions. If he gets his information on intact genitalia from you, rather than his peers, he's more likely to have the full, correct story, and then, by default, to be an intactivist. Its not a one time talk, but one you have throughout their childhood- starting with simple facts, like, this is your penis, and that is your foreskin, to, (when he asks, maybe about a friend) "all boys are born with foreskins, some boys have an operation to remove theirs, but a foreskin is an important part and so we wanted you to keep yours" and getting more involved as the boy gets older, once he hits puberty covering such topics as retraction, possible foreskin problems and their cures (yeast, what to do if he can't retract etc) and the functions of the foreskin sexually.

For girls, if she has no brothers and the topic doesn't occur before then, I would add it to her sex education, presenting an intact penis as normal and talking about how the foreskin functions etc before bringing up a circumcised penis.

I think a child who is raised so that intact is the norm, and so that they understand how it functions, and they are proud to be intact, is unlikely to perpetuate circumcision on the next generation. -Oubliette
Oubliette8 is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
tutucrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubliette8 View Post
I think by educating children about their bodies in an age-appropriate manner little boys will grow up to appreciate their foreskins and be able to know WHY a foreskin is a good thing to have. It seems that most men, intact or otherwise, were never told about their bodies, or more specifically, the state of their penises, by their parents. A boy who is left with no information is much more likely to come to his own, wrong, conclusions. If he gets his information on intact genitalia from you, rather than his peers, he's more likely to have the full, correct story, and then, by default, to be an intactivist. Its not a one time talk, but one you have throughout their childhood- starting with simple facts, like, this is your penis, and that is your foreskin, to, (when he asks, maybe about a friend) "all boys are born with foreskins, some boys have an operation to remove theirs, but a foreskin is an important part and so we wanted you to keep yours" and getting more involved as the boy gets older, once he hits puberty covering such topics as retraction, possible foreskin problems and their cures (yeast, what to do if he can't retract etc) and the functions of the foreskin sexually.

For girls, if she has no brothers and the topic doesn't occur before then, I would add it to her sex education, presenting an intact penis as normal and talking about how the foreskin functions etc before bringing up a circumcised penis.

I think a child who is raised so that intact is the norm, and so that they understand how it functions, and they are proud to be intact, is unlikely to perpetuate circumcision on the next generation. -Oubliette
That is a great point. Parents really need to have those discussions with their children. I agree that many parents just don't say anything or do any educating. I guess in areas where intact is the norm they probably don't think to talk about it. But for parents who don't circ here in the US, talking to our children can mean the difference between raising another generation of intact children or not. Parents with girls need to remember to have this discussion too, I think parents with girls might over look this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
I think this is a great idea to discuss. I'm not really sure it totally belongs in activism as probably a lot of us plan on doing our 'activism' through sharing knowledge. And I don't think that's necessarily activism???
I agree.
Quote:
For me, my children are so young it seems like such a long time before I will be really discussing things with them.

However, I do want to talk about this to anyone I have a chance to. I might take a less popular 'activist' approach by not focusing directly on circumcision as an issue.
I currently tend to focus on presenting parenting as a 'whole package' product (especially: parenting, birth (gentle birth), breastfeeding, discipline). That way I can talk about parenting in a way that covers more than just one of my issues... And I do truly think that birth is such a spectacular point in time that focusing on birth can be a catalyst. Indeed, supporting women for positive births will allow more of them to fulfill their roles as mothers and protectors and lead them to intactness naturally.

Talking about parenting or birth in ways that includes discussing education, gentile choices, what our culture teaches us, the role of media, etc.... makes it fairly easy to bring in birth practices such as circumcision (or discuss breastfeeding, vaxes, etc. etc).

There are a few good birth videos out there that lead easily to discussion on the practices that are seen because of our culture... I really like this one for the high school to college age- although it primarily would focus on birth (you'd have to then lead up to, so if we do this to mothers, do you think it ends there....)
Trailer for "Laboring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs. The Real Thing
www.birth-media.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Gd7...layer_embedded
Our Birth Year Network hosted a screening, so I have seen the whole movie, although I guess there was some editing to still be done. It is very current- mentioning Brittany Spears and her sister, for example. (In fact my only criticism was that it was so focused on the 'current' celebrity trends that it could easily seem outdated... although it used many media from when I was in elementary school (Murphy Brown) to current stuff). I also think the way it was presented would be well received.

Then there are a few birth movies that deal specifically with circumcision, such as Gentle Birth Choices and Birth As We Know It.

Just some quick thoughts from me(-: Looking forward to hearing what others will say

Jessica
I am in agreement with this approach which is why I'm currently setting up a chapter that meets to discuss these things. The holistic approach really does help get women thinking about the "norm" vs what is really best for them and their children.

As far as raising my own children. I would like to get them involved in some intactivist movements too. Maybe take them to some events and have good discussions with them about the harms of circumcision (once they are older). I saw a youtube video of a teen girl talking all about the harm of circ. I was thinking, geez she knows more than 90% of adults. I thought it was really need to see someone so young taking a stance against RIC. V. cool.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.
 
tutucrazy is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
 
AllyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps the best thing to do is to just not circ...that way in the future, when people want their children to "look just like daddy", they will!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
AllyRae is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,810
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
It is Activism. Really most activism is sharing knowledge, not grand protests. plus, as Activism is a no-debate zone, you can discuss your ideas without having to defend your position.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
 
benj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubliette8 View Post
I think by educating children about their bodies in an age-appropriate manner little boys will grow up to appreciate their foreskins and be able to know WHY a foreskin is a good thing to have. It seems that most men, intact or otherwise, were never told about their bodies, or more specifically, the state of their penises, by their parents. A boy who is left with no information is much more likely to come to his own, wrong, conclusions. If he gets his information on intact genitalia from you, rather than his peers, he's more likely to have the full, correct story, and then, by default, to be an intactivist. Its not a one time talk, but one you have throughout their childhood- starting with simple facts, like, this is your penis, and that is your foreskin, to, (when he asks, maybe about a friend) "all boys are born with foreskins, some boys have an operation to remove theirs, but a foreskin is an important part and so we wanted you to keep yours" and getting more involved as the boy gets older, once he hits puberty covering such topics as retraction, possible foreskin problems and their cures (yeast, what to do if he can't retract etc) and the functions of the foreskin sexually.
this is true. it is true for a lot of subjects, but it leaves it mark in subjects that parents find hard to talk about with their children. i was never told why i was left intact until i had children of my own, and if i had been circumcised, i would most likely have circumcised my children blindly. i knew something had been done to other boys but not why. when i was in elementary school i had an incident where i told another boy that his parents cut part of his penis off when he was a baby and then his parents never let me play with him again. i guess they hadn't planned to tell him. i think you should definitely talk about it with girls as well. and you're right, if children do not get the correct information from you...they will get it from somewhere else, usually the worst of all sources, the media and their peers.

two amazing sons & .
benj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off