fight for better maternity care in health reform! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Supporters of Homebirth and choice in maternity care~

As many of you may know, the White House issued a call this week asking citizens from across the country to send emails about what they would like to see in health care reform. Not long afterwards, the server accepting the emails crashed.

Why? Because it got flooded with emails about the President's birth certificate!

Now the press is reporting about it, just as they did when grassroots organizers for the legalization of marijuana set the record for the most number of emails sent during the transition—a mere 6000. We can top that!

It turns out there is another, lesser-known online form for submitting comments about health care reform. Let's use it!

If we top 6000 emails—and I know we ca n—we will set a new record and get the White House's attention on how strong support for out-of-hospital maternity care and Certified Professional Midwives is.

So please go to the following link and fill out the form with a short, simple message about why you want all women, including those on Medicaid, to have access to out-of-hospital maternity care and Certified Professional Midwives who are specially trained to provide it.

http://www.healthreform.gov/communit.../comments.html

Pick one or two points to include in your own words: And always use the title, Certified Professional Midwives, spelled out.

Certified Professional Midwives are specially trained as experts in out-of-hospital maternity care and deliver babies in private homes and in freestanding birth centers.

Research consistently shows that low-risk women planning to deliver their babies at home under the care of Certified Professional Midwives experience=2 0outcomes equal to low-risk women who deliver in the hospital, but with far fewer costly and preventable interventions, including a five-fold decrease in cesarean section.

Babies delivered under the care of Certified Professional Midwives havesignificantly reduced rates of prematurity and low-birth weight, two of the leading contributing factors to racial and ethnic disparities in birth outcomes and to the costs associated with long-term care.

David Anderson, Professor of Economics at Center College with a specialization in the costs of out-of-hospital maternity care, calculates that increasing use of Certified Professional Midwives and of out-of-hospital maternity care by less than 10% would result in savings of $9.1 billion annually, while actually improving outcomes.

The state of Washington reports a savings of $3.1 million dollars over a period of two years to the state Medicaid system when women experiencing healthy, low-risk pregnancies give birth with licensed midwives instead of in the hospital.

The recent Milbank Report conservatively estimates savings of $2.5 billion dollars a year if the cesarean surgery rate is brought=2 0down to 15% in the U.S.

Certified Professional Midwives are the only providers specially trained in out-of-hospital birth in the event that hospitals become unsafe for healthy pregnant women during a disaster.

Thank you to everyone who is reaching out—it only takes a few minutes but it is so very helpful. We are making amazing progress in DC and now is not the time to let up! So please forward this to family and friends who can help, and thank you for doing your part to get Certified Professional Midwives and out-of-hospital maternity care included in health care reform

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#2 of 6 Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Done. Thank you!

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#3 of 6 Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Moved to Activism.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 6 Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 PM

Done, thank you for posting this.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#6 of 6 Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 AM

I kinda went a little off of just CPM advocacy, but I needed the vent... hope its okay to post... I just set the timer for 15 minutes and didn't edit much, needed to 'get it out' and be honest. And I thought I had copied this: Research consistently shows that low-risk women planning to deliver their babies at home under the care of Certified Professional Midwives experience=2 0outcomes equal to low-risk women who deliver in the hospital, but with far fewer costly and preventable interventions, including a five-fold decrease in cesarean section but I see it didn't go through ):

Let's start at birth.... we NEED changes to our health system, now:
...because my sons birth cost us $3,000- this after our insurance paid 90% this was a fairly typical vaginal birth, healthy baby
...because the anesthesiologist got paid more for his 15 minutes than my midwives got paid for the entire 9 months plus postpartum care- add insult to injury, because I wanted to avoid an epidural or other drugs
...because my insurance doesn't cover or encourage a doula my son's birth experience was frightening and overwhelming to me instead of empowering
...because the hospital offers an awesome breastfeeding clinic, with a daily free support group. They also waive fees for clients who's health care doesn't cover LC visits. But not every hospital has such a great program, and besides shouldn't the LC clinic actually GET reimbursed! ...because my daughter's birth was empowering and amazing and my midwife still got paid less than the hospital did (and I stayed less than 24 hours by MY choice)
...because my doula for my daughter's birth was amazing... the best investment we made. Doulas are shown to decrease costs and improve outcomes AND maternal experience- but insurance doesn't cover them and some hospitals try to discourage them
...because my insurance company doesn't cover a breast pump or breast milk for a newborn, but does cover something unnecessary like a non medical circumcision (and almost all circumcisions are nonmedical)
...because my insurance doesn't cover a certified professional midwife and my region has no birth centers. I feel my birth choices are limited by economics. CPM's may also be able to operate birth centers giving women more options.
...because several hospitals in my area ban VBAC's-- more women will be forced to have a cesarean even when they don't want or don't need one. Their only options will be paying for a homebirth out of pocket or agreeing to a c-section. ...because I had to be an advocate for some of our choices for our son that are based on best practices/evidence based medicine (for example, making sure to delay cutting the cord)
...because my son was taken away from me before I got to fully hold him or nurse him, for no reason other than hospital convenience- I know I had nightmares, baby blues, and guilt about this for months and we had so many breastfeeding issues that might have been avoided
...my daughter's birth team encourages mother-child pairing for at least the first hour as normal procedure This is a 'free and easy' way to reform maternal care, increase breastfeeding success, decrease PPD and make a lot of people happy
...because the hospital I chose to have my daughter at has the lowest c-section rate in the state, it is a wonderful place, but even at the lowest it is STILL higher than CIMS recommendations (http://www.motherfriendly.org/)
...because I don't want to be held down to one standard, I want health care that is BEST for my family, and that might be going outside of 'traditional ' medicine or spending money on healthy organic food, vitamins (because my kids seem to hate veggies), or other efforts in prevention
... because I shouldn't have to spend so much time learning and researching and becoming my own advocate.... but I do, and I only wish I had known just a little more before I became a mom
...because now I'm navigating the health care system for MY children and they deserve better care- and better care does NOT always cost more
...because of our darling five year old Joshua, our sweet Rebecca who will turn 2 in July, my husband, myself and our families.... and yours.
That's just my brainstorm list of things I can think of in 15 minutes

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page