Mothering Forum banner

Whom do you boycott - and why?

15K views 254 replies 89 participants last post by  sohj 
#1 ·
Just curious about this from fellow MDC mamas....

I boycott Nestle without a doubt - going on nine years now!

I also boycott WalMart. Ugh. Totally.

#206 ·
Originally Twinmommy wrote:
TV/Videos for Children

I feel like a big ignoramous for not knowing why
:

Wal-Mart
Nestle
Phillip-Morris
P&G
McD's
Coca-Cola
The Limited Co
Georgia Pacific-when possible
News Media
J&J

There is more but this is what I can think of.......I basically hate any company that gets so large that it is scary to find out how much they control. It is REALLY hard to boycott them when you have a husband that wants to argue your reasons and then shop/buy products anyway!!!!

Emily

#209 ·
Thanks Abimommy...I did not know that they were owned by the same company. We do not eat at Taco Bell because of the genetically modified corn that they use in the taco shells, so I guess I boycott them already...we rarely eat at Pizza Hut...but they are out now too...Thanks!

#212 ·
Originally posted by dallaschildren

I boycott ANYTHING written by ALAN AND DENISE FIELDS. They make me sick. Please don't buy their books and if you do, read it and return it to them for a full refund per their own policy.

Just curious why?

I boycott Pier One Imports for their continued law breaking and contribution to the identity theft problem that increases every day and puts our personal information at risk.

I don't shop there anyway, but how do they contribute to identity theft if you wouldn't mind cluing me in so I can avoid ever shopping there.

I boycott McDonald's for killing my grandmother with the s*&( they call food.
Not touching that one

I boycott Hibernia Bank and all of it's subsidiaries.
Curious on this one too, I'm not ripping apart your post, just trying to be more informed I still don't know why people hate pepsi either (yes I'm very very new to the boycott, activism arena!)

I boycott the Chrysler Corporation.
wanna fill me in?

I boycott Barbra Streisand and the Dixie Chicks.
YUP I do too
I boycott Jane Fonda and all of the crap she calls acting.
:LOL

#215 ·
Pepsi does own a lot, so does Coke. For the longest time I didn't even realize Coke owned minite maid juice, on the flipside Pepsi owns tropicana.

It is getting harder to boycott a company completely because the bigger ones own so much. Kraft, Coke,Pepsi, all of those own alot of stuff. So unless you never buy prepacked stuff, only shop organic and whole foods markets it's hard to do it. I didn't realize alot of what pepsi owned until I checked out their site, I did know about lays and gatorade but not the rest!

Pepsi also owns all quaker oatmeal products, gatorade, fritolay,lipton tea, rice a roni, pasta roni,near east rices,dole juices is a license so I'm guessing someone else does the manufacturing???,and they have a partnership with starbucks to sell frappaccinos those ready to drink cold ones. there are some more smaller brands too.
http://www.pepsico.com/company/brands.shtml

I didn't hear they sold kfc etc but their website doesn't mention them as a brand anymore.

I still don't understand the boycott though, is it because they have gotten so big? Or are their some bad business practices I have no clue about yet?

#218 ·
mimim, my dh and I looked at all the entries on moveon's website...I really do hope that they play it during the superbowl! There were some REALLY good entries...some gave me goosebumps! I think it is doubtful it will air, which is BULL #!@% because they have the money to pay for the air time! Leave it to corporate america to be so fearful that we americans may actually see the truth on tv for a change and actually boycott what is going on in this country right now! I hope it airs and ignites a major grass roots campaign all across america!

#219 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dallaschildren
Pilesoflaundry.......

In my opinion:

Alan and Denise Fields make money off of parents. In return they turn around, gather free information from them, type it up, put it in a book and sell it back to them.
They are notorious for putting small ma and pa businesses and MANY WAHM's out of business with their comments. It appears they have developed a "cult" like following of moms that believe evey lie they tell. These moms in turn make trouble for said businesses without researching themselves or even calling the "offending" WAHM business. When you screw with the livlihoods of people, it really burns my butt.
They have quite the reputation in the retail community. Their 'God" like mentality really annoys me. They claim to be crusaders for the consumer...HA...what a load of B^*^S&*&*.
Ya know your right about that, I thought of them as harmless but silly. But your totally right!

They have MB's also, I found them by accident about 5 yrs ago looking for car seat info. I found their car seat board where a tech posts and I had flipped through the book at the library after a friend recommended it to me. I thought to myself bargains my butt, they only tell you how to save money on $500 cribs and $300 strollers and designer clothes! And on the message boards they do ask for parent reviews which they then release in the next version of the book. hmmm

I do still post over there occasionally since I met some nice people and they have a cloth diaper forum and a sling forum. But I refuse to pay for their books!

Thank you for answering my question

#220 ·
Proctor & Gamble, Iams March of Dimes, etc.: they also do heinous animal testing / vivisection.
Anything with OJ Simpson
music/ acting folks that wear fur.
Circuses & most Zoos
Most fast food
No J-LO or Ben - yuck
just learned about the free-trade stuff so I will be trying to buy smart but I love pier1 -

No diamonds because of S. Africa & the DeBeers monopoly
(the fake ones are fine for me)
our one income does dictate that we buy from big discout places BUT if can buy from a local merchant, we do.

does anyone know about Gevalia coffee & Tommy Hilfiger?
I don't normally buy Tommy stuff anyway.

#224 ·
I boycott any radio station who banned the Dixie Chicks.
Whether or not anyone agrees with what they said, this IS America, and they DO have the right to say it.
And I just really think it's funny that the media is harping on them! The people who are constantly complaining about how our freedom of speech is getting trampled on go and ban someone for exercising their freedom of speech????!!!!

#225 ·
Citibank
exxon/mobil
cosco baby stuff
aol
at&t
household bank credit cards, Monogram bank of georgia credit (both for horrible service I cut up my cards and mailed them back)
abercrombie
I try my best at walmart but I can't always avoid them or sam's.

Citibank has the worst business practices and not very helpful customer service. I have a credit card with them (can't wait until it's paid off) and I've never been late and always pay but they keep lowering my credit limit which lowers my credit score so they lower my credit limit again because they said my score is lower now. Vicious cycle
and when I call and tell them to quit it they are causing the problem I get "sorry I can't help you."
: so I reported them to the bbb and comptroller of the currency and am waiting to hear back on it.

(what happened to the other boycott thred from a few days ago btw?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.