Whom do you boycott - and why? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plum
i've heard proctor and gamble is bad but why?
Their crappy as all get out advertising that their diapers are actually good for the environment is the first thing that comes to mind.
#242 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjismom
I wasn't able to read all the responses, but I saw someone mentioned Costco and I wanted to put in a good word for them. They pay their workers much better than Wal-Mart and give them real medical benefits (unlike Wal-Mart; see WSJ article last year on the subject--argh). Wall Street analysts are now all about banging on them to get their costs in line with Wal-Mart's and the CEO said no. They are not union-friendly (though nowhere near as anti-union as Wal-Mart) but do have a unionized store I used to shop at in Maryland.

I boycott Wal-Mart, all fast food, products that use GMO ingredients and non-grass-fed beef. I am also very careful with coffee, chocolate and the like to buy fair trade products whenever possible. I boycott Exxon Mobil because they are climate change deniers. I grew up in a family that was always boycotting something--from JP Stevens textiles to grapes--so I guess it comes naturally to me.

Beth, Mom to DS (4) and DD (16 mos.)
If it was my post it wasn't Costco wholesale but Cosco/Safety1st car seats and baby gear . I think it's cool Costco pays their employees well!
#243 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 AM

I boycott:

Nestle
McDonalds (and other fast food places...except subway)
Cosco/Safety 1st Baby Products
Procter and Gamble
Logging Company

And many others that I have read here. I don't really wear make-up anyway.
#244 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Brittani
Their crappy as all get out advertising that their diapers are actually good for the environment is the first thing that comes to mind.
Also I've heard that Procter & Gamble uses animals to test their products
#245 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 04:04 AM

- wal*mart (all the reasons for hating wal*mart have already been stated)
- nike (huge corporation that relies on slave labor and ridiculously high prices)
- the gap (see "nike," above.)
- starbucks (global company that tries to stamp out smaller businesses, and uses slave labor + unfair trade practices to keep their company growing... basically, same reason as the first 3.)
- exxon (they suck)
- fast food in general (it's unhealthy, most of it tastes like the chemical-laden crap it is, it drains your wallet, so many fast food outlets cropping up everywhere are unsightly, it promotes a culture of waste..... should i go on?)
- mainstream cleaners and household products ~ that is, cleansers and detergents and soaps and bags (etc) that are produced without regard to the environment, that are made from new materials (not made from recycled products), that contribute to pollution and/or are not biodegradable. we only use products like Seventh Generation, Planet, and Ecover for washing dishes and clothes, the bags i buy for our kitchen now are made from 100% recycled plastic, and just about everything else is reusable (dishes, dish rags, hand towels, and feminine hygeine products. we'll be using cloth diapers on the new baby too).

there's a lot that i avoid buying also, but don't really "boycott" (as in, refuse to use any of it at all) ~ i try to buy organic and GM-free whenever possible, but can't always because of the price or a lack of availability. same for fairly traded products such as coffee and cocoa... i'd like to eat and use only dairy / beef products from grass-fed beef (it's much, much healthier) but the difference in price prevents it...
#246 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggie
Also I've heard that Procter & Gamble uses animals to test their products
Back in the late 80's, P&G ran a magazine ad that showed a beautiful tree, and grass and such. The caption read "90 years ago this was a disposable diaper" The ad itself got pulled, but not until after many many people had read and believed it...Thus thinking disposables were biodegradeable...Which they are NOT.
#247 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Cheryl, wasn't that mentioned in the issue of Mothering that ran the article, Crazy For Cloth? i seem to remember seeing that before.

P&G has done some awful stuff... and continues to lie about it.
#248 of 255 Old 05-28-2004, 10:59 PM

i think that was where i read it...that would be one of many reasons I boycott them. Also, nowhere on their diaper packages do they mention that you are supposed to dump feces in the toilet. Huggies, and all the store brands state it, and it is Law (at least here in Cali) that human waste is not supposed to end up in landfills.
#249 of 255 Old 05-29-2004, 02:49 PM

I refuse to do business with any company that I have personally experienced bad customer service. This includes most of the big department stores, but also includes some WAHMs as well. This also includes doctors and other professionals. I will not tolerate being treated poorly by anyone for any reason.

We also do not buy products that used to be made in US, but have moved their plants to countries with cheaper labor - Levis is the first that comes to mind, but my DH could tell you a huge list of other offenders (he's the card-carrying union member in the family).

I refuse to give DOW chemicals any of my money, I even try not to buy products that use their chemicals in the manufacturing process. Chlorine is probably the scariest chemical I can imagine, it combines with organic matter and creates dioxins, but this is totally covered up because of how much money they make from it. Our drinking water is tested for toxins, but dioxin isn't one of them... Anyway, this isn't just an offense against humanity, but the entire future of our world, all in the name of making buckets of money now. I totally don't understand it.
#250 of 255 Old 05-29-2004, 10:13 PM

Stacy, would you mind posting a list of those companies please?

i only know of a few for sure ~ Radio Flyer at the top of the list...
#251 of 255 Old 05-30-2004, 12:01 AM

March of Dimes also does HEINOUS Animal testing in the name of science !!
I NEVER give to them.... they try to tug in your heartstrings when it comes to babies....
http://www.pcrm.org/magazine/GM02Win...2Winter04.html
Quote:
Novy inserts monitoring cables into the monkeys’ uteruses and into their babies’ bodies, tethering the animals in cages that are too small to meet animal care guidelines. He asked for an additional exemption from limits on the number of surgical procedures that could be performed on each animal. When the babies are born, Novy kills them for further study

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#252 of 255 Old 05-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Banned

Anything produced by Michael Moore
#253 of 255 Old 05-30-2004, 01:04 AM

i try to always avoid companies and organizations that test on animals at all. PeTA has a list of everyone that tests on animals, if anyone's interested ~ it's on their website.
#254 of 255 Old 05-31-2004, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
Stacy, would you mind posting a list of those companies please?

i only know of a few for sure ~ Radio Flyer at the top of the list...
try searching aflcio.org ...
I found this about sweatshops at thier website

This website has a huge list of products that are made in US, and why we should support those companies that make them.
#255 of 255 Old 06-02-2004, 02:34 PM

I guess I boycott lots of stuff...considering I try to only purchase from small businesses and always try and buy local -- which means if I'm in the US, then made in the US, if in Spain, then made in Spain, etc. -- and buy organic or as low impact as possible.

Occasionally, I buy stuff from a larger company than a "mom-and-pop", but it is still small by the standards of the things listed here.

I've recently discovered that Poland Spring Water is owned by Nestle. I rarely get bottled water anyhow, but occasionally one has to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page