Whom do you boycott - and why? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just curious about this from fellow MDC mamas....

I boycott Nestle without a doubt - going on nine years now!

I also boycott WalMart. Ugh. Totally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I boycott Nestle as well. I wish I had the will (and pocketbook) to boycott Walmart. I try to avoid it as much as I can though.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 03:42 AM

Nestle for sure as well. Plus as many of their subsideries ( argh spelling : ) as I know about & there are so many of them. Maybelline, MAggi....

Anything known to have possible GM in it.
Anything I know that had anything to do with monsanto.
Unfairly traded coffee
Unfairly traded bananas
I do my best with chocolate but dh slips some thru sometimes
Any battery farmed eggs/chicken
Anything from McDeathburger & KFC
Any cosmetics or household products tested on animals.
Rainforest timbers.
The next one is easy - gold & diamonds :LOL Altho' I did make myself a new gold wedding ring out of recycled melted down old bits of broken gold jewellery when I did an evening class in jewellery making.

I also try to proactively buy fairly traded goods as much as possible. I figure all these cos like nestle hide so much stuff from us under different labels that I am bound to slip up occasionally. There is also a heap that I am not even aware of. I think it helps to be part of the solution instead of simply not being part of the problem.

I try to buy goods made in NZ as well to avoid the made in China thing.

#4 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 10:18 AM

Anti-choice companies (Dominos, for example) and organizations
Walmart
Crossgates Mall
Marriot
#5 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 12:13 PM

I boycott nestle, and i still boycott exxon from that oil spill so long ago... it's like a habit now not to pull into an exxon. I don't officially boycott wal-mart, but avoid it like the plague. Why do people boycott wal-mart? Is it where they get their goods, or the way the employees get treated? Or another reason?

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#6 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherE
Why do people boycott wal-mart? Is it where they get their goods, or the way the employees get treated? Or another reason?
Both reasons - and more. It's not just their union-busting tactics and poverty wages here (check out Barabra Ehrenreich on this in her book - "Nickel and Dimed: On NOT Getting by in America") but also their treatment of employees abroad (The LA Times ran a recent series (still available on the inetrnet, I believe) on this - talk about exploitation of working mamas!) -- arrgh.

I think more consumers need to develop a consciousness that acknowleges that they are also workers too - that saving a few bucks on a DVD player right now may have higher costs later on (declining wages and benefits, etc.)

We need to see the connections.

#7 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 02:31 PM

I boycott Nestle for their impact on breastfeeding in the 3rd world.
I boycott Gillette and Walmart for the use of Radio Frequency Identification chips they're allowing to be put on product.
I boycott McCain, for their unfair practices in the Maritimes.
I avoid the use of GM foods and boycott Monsanto.
#8 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 02:39 PM

As I have said before, I boycott religion, because religion tends to promote bigotry and intolerance.
#9 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 02:52 PM

AT&T

InfoisPower, Radio Frequency Identification chips Could you explain more to me please?
#10 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here's some info on WalMart:

http://www.walmartwatch.com/

http://www.walmartsucks.com/

http://www.walmartclass.com/walmartc...en=public_home

http://www.1worldcommunication.org/Walmart.htm
#11 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 PM

#12 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 04:23 PM

#13 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Wow, thanks for those links. I'm still reading! Powerful stuff.
#14 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 05:27 PM

I boycott nestle.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html

Not all those who wander are lost 
#15 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 05:57 PM

I boycott Nestle. I don't buy GM food. I am wondering is Target, Kmart, or Shopko any different than Wal-Mart? Should they all be avoided? Awhile back I heard McDonalds was no longer going to use beef that came from cows treated with antibiotics. Is that true? Does anyone know more about this?

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#16 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 07:37 PM

For more information on RFID...go here: http://www.nocards.org/
and click on RFID on the left side of your screen or click on http://www.spychips.com/

RFID chips, tiny tracking devices the size of a grain of dust, can be used to secretly identify you and the things you're carrying--right through your clothes, wallet, backpack, or purse.

Have you already taken one home with you?
#17 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 08:14 PM

Interesting about Walmart. I just always thought, that if goods are that inexpensive, that someone probably had suffered to either make the goods or sell the goods.

That book Nickel and Dimed was really an eye opener too.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#18 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Walmart, CostCo, McDonalds and pretty much all fast food joints.

I have lots of reasons, many mentioned above. I think these companies are ruining our culture, destroying any uniqueness or diversity and pushing us to be the ultimate consumers. Not to mention killing small businesses by the millions.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#19 of 255 Old 12-17-2003, 08:31 PM

Wal-Mart, because they refuse to fill prescriptions for Emergency Contraception.

Exxon, and now Mobile since they merged.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#20 of 255 Old 12-18-2003, 04:20 AM

my answer is D, all of the above but i have a new one too. citibank. they are my new favorite to hate.

i think they are trying to take over the world. they suck. they are buying out so many different store credit cards it isn't even funny. phillips, conoco, home depot are all newly ruled by citiba$tard.

the screwed up part of it is that they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. my sister works for a huge collection firm and citi is one of their clients. she says they are so screwed up it is kind of scary. like they are messing up people's credit because they can't keep their books straight. and the customer service people that she has to talk to sometimes will tell her flat out that they have no clue what they're doing. i think they work off of 6 different computer systems, no wonder they don't know what is going on.

yeah, boycott 'em, hate 'em.
#21 of 255 Old 12-18-2003, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nestle- for obvious reasons.

Any company that supports Planned Parenthood or other pro-abortion groups.

Fast food in general.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#22 of 255 Old 12-18-2003, 08:26 PM

Geez, what don't I boycott?

Nestle, ALL fast food, ALL and any big box store (WalMart, Target, etc.), Gilette, everything tested on animals, everything containing animals or animal products, everything containing food dyes, Made In China items, the list goes on and on...

I take very seriously the notion that we endorse products that we spend money on and try my best to reward only those companies that treat the earth and all its' inhabitants as respectfully as possible.
#23 of 255 Old 12-18-2003, 09:00 PM

Thank you MamaTHistle I didn't know that " home depot" is now owned by citibank did they just buy them?
Because I know we got new information on our HD credit card and if it is going to go to annual fee dh will have to deal with it being cut up !
ARGH

And I wonder if that is why I have trouble with them now? Years ago when we were hand to mouthing it the card I had predh had to be let go. We used the new tax thing years ago and they got their $$ from our refund replacing the write off. And they have mailed me and called me twice saying I have a chance to clean up the charge off. Umm Hello look at your own records and the copy of receipt I sent showing that It has been paid MORONS..

They couldn't understand why I sent my conoco card back in pieces. ( you have been a good customer what can we do?) I sent a letter explaining I had another gas card with another company that didn't make me pay a hefty annual fee and new fees for other services that came with it.

Not sure what I all boycott right now loopy due to meds
#24 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 02:37 AM

nestle. walmart. fast food. unfairly traded coffee. gm food. anything monsanto. anything tested on animals. anything owned by tobacco companies. dominos. snapple. I'm sure there is more...
#25 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 05:33 AM

missbliss, Snapple?

Did I miss an explanation of that earlier in the thread? If not, could you please explain that one?

Thanks.

#26 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 08:24 AM

Nestle, The Gap, Nike. KFC (it helps that their chicken is awful), Burger King and McD's (until I got pregnant and then it has been helpful from time to time when I feel faint, HAVE to eat and it's there in front of me, I apologise).

Nestle is the only one I have actually written to to register my boycott. They sent me back a marvel of PR literature. I am thankful that Nestle's PR guys don't work for any government or religious organisation, they are geniuses. They actually had me feeling guilty about boycotting them!! To paraphrase "we're not angry with you, just dissappointed, especially when we do so much to help mothers in developing countries".

I realised how manipulative they were being and threw it in the recycling pile. My sister said I should have written back and thanked them for their brilliantly constructed emotionally manipulative reply but I felt so physically ill at the thought of entering in to a correspondance that I didn't bother.
#27 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phathui5
Nestle- for obvious reasons.

Any company that supports Planned Parenthood or other pro-abortion groups.

Fast food in general.
Me too!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#28 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 11:41 AM

There are very few things that I boycott -- I buy so little stuff that it makes it easy! I tend to just try to make more positiive choices, like buying produce from local farmers, rather than focusing on categories of stuff not to buy.

That said, I am currently boycotting Borders.

I worked for them for seven years, from the time when they were a regional company owned by two brothers, through their being bought out by Kmart, their IPO, and about 10 CEOs after that. I enjoyed my time there until I got into higher management and they started union busting. At the time the unions weren't really offering much to the employees, so I turned a blind eye to it, but the greed and shortsightedness that led to the union busting was starting to permeate the whole corporate structure. I left after a year of being so angry I would scream every day on my drive home. I stayed that long only because I could see who the company had lined up to replace me and I felt a strong loyalty to my employees.

Anyway, they are headquartered in my hometown, and the hometown store has unionized and tried to negotiate a contract. The corporation has basically refused to talk, cancelling scheduled negotiation after negotiation, for really random reasons. The employees are on strike, pending some progress toward a contract. What are they asking for? A $.25 per hour raise, some freezing of escalating benefits costs, and a wage structure that rewards long-term employees.

Until they settle the strike, no Borders stuff for me.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#29 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 01:11 PM

cerridwenlorelei, actually it is just the accounts, not the store. but hey, they might as well own the store since if you have an account with them you're doing business with citibank and not home depot.

i told this story in another thread somewhere but it is worth repeating. when citibank took over the phillips 66 and conoco accounts they dropped everyone's credit limit to $100. this meant everyone no matter how long they had been doing business with phillips or conoco or if their bill was paid on time and in full every month. like us.

i called and told them that we spend far more than that on gas every month and we pay our bill on time and in full so why would they drop our credit limit? they said it was policy and if we wanted an increase they had to run a credit report. at that point i told them to go screw themselves and to cancel the account. if they didn't want my business i would go elsewhere.

they did this to the local school bus company too. every day the school busses go fill up at the phillips station that they park behind. one day they couldn't get gas and were told that they had a $100 limit on their account. i don't know what they did but i so hope that they raised hell over it. it is just so crappy.

citibank has crappy business practices and i refuse to do business with anyone who treats their customers like that. and that includes the companies whose credit card accounts they have taken over. i don't need no stinkin' credit anyway.:LOL
#30 of 255 Old 12-19-2003, 02:30 PM

Snapple! Forgot about them. I've always boycotted them, too, simply because I've always found their advertising to be so annoying! If there's a more serious reason to boycott them then naturally I'm even happier about the fact that I've been boycotting them.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page