Mothering Forum banner

If you had $100 to give...

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Comtessa 
#1 ·
If you had $100 to give to a group supporting/promoting world peace, which group would you choose and why?

#2 ·
The Carter Center. I think world peace will come from increasing educational opportunities and promoting human rights, and the Carter Center focuses on both of those.

It's kind of overwhelming to think of one organization helping the entire planet, though, so I give to smaller, more localized programs.

#5 ·
I would (and do) support the nonviolent direct action of the Christian Peacemaker Teams in places of high conflict. Great organization! I also love the work of the War Resisters' League.

We really give to a lot of local organizations rather than national: a local peace & justice group that focuses on Latin America, our local Catholic Worker house & drop-in center, a local crisis pregnancy center (they gave me free prenatal care during my unexpected pregnancy), and other similar organizations. We tend to support orgs that aren't formal 501(c)(3)'s, because it's harder for them to get funding.

We also have a local giving circle, which is a nice way to stretch small donation dollars and be involved in the grantmaking process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.