Baby@conception folks ... is any birth control acceptable to you? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Greaseball
What if a woman who has a high probability of mc-ing tries to conceive? Is that attempted murder?
bingo. personally i *strongly* feel it's a ludicrous idea, unfortunately it is a very very small step from IVF etc postiions already commonly held. this slope gets steep and slippery extremely fast when you start taking the individual's right to make a decision out of the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about IVF, but I thought the mother could decide to have the embryos donated.
But should they *have* to have their extra embryos donated? And if they did, I'm just assuming there would be WAY more embryos than willing adopters.

Quote:
Of course, there will still be a lot lost through m/c. But is it really any greater than the m/c rate for the general population? I've heard the general rate is 1 in 4 pregnancies end in m/c, and I also hear that in IVF, it takes an average of 4 tries to get to live birth. It could be the m/c rates for IVF seem higher because IVF pregnancies are followed so closely.
But you are usually implanted w/more than one fertilized egg.

Just talking to hear my own voice at this point

Old 02-28-2004, 12:38 PM

For me miscarrying is not an issue because it is abount intent. Women that miscarry had every intention of carrying the baby to term.
Women that have an abortion have every intent to end a life.

It is my belief that you shouldn't fertilize more eggs than you are willing to use meaning implant and intend on carrying. I believe reduction is abortion. If you're not willing to carry 3 babies, don't implant 3 embryos.

I feel all cloning is wrong, using human beings for parts is reprehensible.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 02-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Awwww man you all went there.

As someone in a position to have to think about IVF (i.e. infertile), this is one of those thigns that you don't know until you get there.

No a woman should not HAVE to donate her unused embryos. Those are genetically her children if they take (which they don't always do) and now woman should be forced to give up her children or potential children.

Most doctors will not do more than three per transfer. And honestly it is pretty rare that all three implant, as the reason they usually do three is because the embryos are of poorer quality. Meaning that they probably won't make it.

IVF give the sperm and the egg better odds of meeting. It does not give the woman a better chance of carrying to term, or of the embryos implanting. That is still a big old crap shoot.

As for fertilizing more eggs than you are willing to use - well that is harder. YOu don't have control over how many eggs are retrieved - nor how many actually fertilize. You may produce only 10 eggs, you may produce 20. Of that 20, only 8 may be mature enough to be fertilized, so the doc tries with all 8, and only 2 fertilize. So great you transfer two. But none may fertilize, or only 1 may be mature enough to fertilize and it doesn't. The idea is to up your odds. So you have to shoot high in order to get anything to work with. The kicker is that these women don't concieve easily, some don't carry to term easily...so you have to up the ante in order to get them pregnant. So while only fertilizing as many eggs as you want to use sounds good - it isn't the way it works.

Women don't resort to IVF as a first line thing. They have often tried to concieve for years, some decades, before trying it. It is a cost intensive, intervention intensive, pain intensive procedure, with no guarantee of outcome being a live birth.

It is a tough decision, like all reproductive decisions. And no one, NO ONE, should get to tell me what is right for me - but me.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 02-28-2004, 03:50 PM

((((Adina))))
Old 02-28-2004, 04:38 PM

Adina

Old 02-28-2004, 04:44 PM

Adina

I am so sorry. I DID NOT want the discussion to be turned into defending IVF or deliniating it from the discussion................

I had hoped that many who rant for and end to legal abortion would see that this would most likely go along with it.............no one ever thinks about it, imo.

Based on that and other factors, I don't think it will ever happen (criminalizing abortion) and I truly wish to see them focus their efforts elsewhere in the problem.

Please forgive me. I did not want to cause you or anyone else discomfort.

El
Old 02-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
No worries - no one offended me. Fear not.

It is just a very personal subject to me and I tend to get very expansive and a tad, shall we say, bitter, about it. :LOL

SO I jsut wanted to get that out there that there is a difference, an there are other things to conisder when discussing limiting IVF. That's all!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 02-28-2004, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What about women who have HIV, who plan to have children? What about women with a high probability of passing on a fatal genetic disorder?

Just got me thinking about that stuff...
Old 02-29-2004, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lula
Maybe I am entering a topic here that I am in over my head..

I do not see how birth control in general/theory and abortion are linked. To me they are not. ....
Birth control has led to more sex outside of marriage. Hey sex without responsibility!

But, oops, condoms break and the pill isn't too reliable so women get pregnant.

"But hey!" they say, " I'm like an undergrad, man! I have a career that I need to have. I need self-fulfillment, not a baby. Besides, the father is long gone."

result: abortion

The link: contraception.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Birth control has led to more sex outside of marriage. Hey sex without responsibility!
Have any of you read the book Slut! Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation by Leora Tanenbaum? She interviews people who went to high school in the 50s, and they say back then, before the Pill and condom distribution, just as many girls had sex and got pregnant at they do today. It was just kept more of a secret back then.

I think even if birth control was not available, people would still have sex outside of marriage. Look at all the people who do! Some people cannot get contraception because they are too young, or cannot afford it and do not qualify for free help, or have too many bad reactions to those available. It doesn't stop them from having sex.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paxetbonum
Birth control has led to more sex outside of marriage.
statistics, please.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

A semantics point: Miscarriage is technically known as "spontaneous abortion."

Adina

I am sorry for all the stomachs this thread is churning ... I had meant for the more complicated issues to come out, though, just because those are the parts of the pro-life stance that always confused me thoroughly, and explanations have never been ... well, explanatory.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:44 PM

When I was much younger, I did choose to have an abortion. I will never never never never do that again. I would have dreams about black spirits coming to take me to hell. Still do, sometimes.

FF to last August when I found out I was pg with number five. We were not planning to have five children. I had an IUD removed last April because I didn't agree with the way it prevented pregnancy. I'm a firm believer that a baby created has every right to exist, whether I am "planning" it or not. However, in August, when we found out Adam was on his way, we did discuss abortion. We even went so far as to make the appointment at Planned Parenthood for the RU486 pill. We went. I could not do it. They told me it was time to "pay" for it, and I looked at them and said, "Pay?" and dissolved into tears. The doctors said they could not allow me to take the pill (which was damn fine with me!) because they felt I was not emotionally strong enough to handle it. I told DH I couldn't do it. For the first time in my life, a man I loved and trusted said, "Okay, let's go then."
I left that place feeling ten feet tall and just as happy as a lark. I haven't looked back. I am proud I had the guts to walk away. I love this baby with every inch of my being and am so looking forward to his arrival. I am pro life for myself. I am pro choice for all other women because it is not my place to make their decisions for them. I would never recommend abortion for someone, knowing what I went through and still go through every time I see and hold a newborn. I wonder what that baby I didn't have would've been like.
Some days, it hurts so badly I cry. I also think of the women who would give anything just to have one baby when I am lucky enough to have five. I pray for infertile couples everywhere to have at least a fraction of the gifts I have.

I am a lucky lucky lady...Damn lucky.

After this babe, tho, I'm getting my tubes tied and DH is having a vasectomy. Five is enough.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:49 PM

To answer the original question--it would be logical for people who believe in life @ conception to oppose any form of bc that makes the womb hostile to implantation. I don't understand why most pro-lifers don't even consider it an issue. : For dh and I, we have chosen to reject all forms of birth control. Some because of the abortifacient nature, but all because we want to be open to life from God, however large or small that will make our family. If (God forbid!) we should face infertility, we would do everything possible to correct it if it was disease related, or a medical problem. But I do think IVF would be out for us. I guess we'd have to research and pray about it. We've not had problems with infertility, so we really haven't thought too much about it.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:27 PM

opps double post, sorry

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 02-29-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Do you believe that abortion might be an acceptable choice in cases of rape or incest?
No, Violence is NEVER the solution to violence.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

User Tag List